Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Guardian Angels
    #1817666 - 08/15/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Seems to me like people who tell guardian angel or divine protection stories are falling under the spell of something very much akin to the anthropic principle; i.e they are only able to tell their stories because they survived.

Was reading a biography of an undercover agent who was shot at point blank range; however the gun misfired. When the perpetrator was taken in, the gun worked perfectly. The agent then stated that he was let to live for a higher purpose (to arrest evil drug-doers). In the same breath he pointed out how two other agents were shot and killed nearby that day. Were the deceased's Guardian Angels on a donut break? Or were they merely inept at their jobs?

You hear many stories like this about 9/11. "A voice told me to oversleep that day." Uh huh. Had nothing to do with your hangover...

If something can be adequately explained by a random element, why the need for a mysticism?

Was watching "Larry King Live" last week in a spotlight on angels. Noted psychic fraud, Sylvia Browne was on the panel. One lady called in telling how she and her son who were in serious trouble were picked up by a mysterious and beautiful woman who drove them to the hospital. As she is listening to the story Sylvia is nodding her head and smiling knowingly and says, "Yes, that was your guardian angel."

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: Swami]
    #1817674 - 08/15/03 04:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I definately beleive in Guardian angels. But I think they are just archetypes that people can see from within them, like on mushrooms. You can interpret mushroom hallucinations with all sorts of things including guardian angels. I think they are us in the future or races which have evolved to that level.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1817697 - 08/15/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Earth_Droid said:
I definately beleive in Guardian angels... I think they are us in the future or races which have evolved to that level.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #1817703 - 08/15/03 04:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

My theory is that Guardian Angels are simply super-evolved forms of our spiritual selves...or your own soul from the future if that's how you choose to see it. So, a selfish soul that only cares about working on it's own spiritual progression will simply not give a flying rat's ass about helping out it's former human couterpart.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1817719 - 08/15/03 04:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think though a lot of say Christians might hallucinate a guardian angel or something and say oh the Holy Bible is definately true, Christianity is the only true religion. I don't hallucinate god on LSD and scream, Christianity is the only one true path, this is proof.

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: Autonomous]
    #1817723 - 08/15/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
Quote:

Earth_Droid said:
I definately beleive in Guardian angels...  I think they are us in the future or races which have evolved to that level. 

Damnit, that aint me!!!  :grin: 

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1817736 - 08/15/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Earth_Droid said:
...I don't hallucinate god on LSD and scream, Christianity is the only one true path, this is proof.

Huh? I thought Judaism was the one true religion, oh wait... no, Islam, no wait... Mormonism, no wait...

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: Autonomous]
    #1817772 - 08/15/03 04:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

No, it is Judaism. That was right, but the rest were wrong.

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Guardian Angels [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1817820 - 08/15/03 05:18 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mystical_Craven said:
My theory is that Guardian Angels are simply super-evolved forms of our spiritual selves...or your own soul from the future if that's how you choose to see it.

I agree with that.

--------------------
I&I

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1817846 - 08/15/03 05:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Earth_Droid said:

I think though a lot of say Christians might hallucinate a guardian angel or something and say oh the Holy Bible is definately true, Christianity is the only true religion. I don't hallucinate god on LSD and scream, Christianity is the only one true path, this is proof.....

No, it is Judaism. That was right, but the rest were wrong.

Hmm... Christianity is the only one true path, or is it Judaism? There is quite the difference, two paths that followed each other for awhile, until one took a sharp turn from the other... George Washington and George Bush are both Presidents, but there is quite the difference...

But wait, you weren't saying that they were the same, now where you? Ahh... I beat you to the claim. You said that Christianity was the only one, true path.. but then someone mentioned the other paths, and you said yeah, Judaism, that's right, but the rest are wrong...

Christianity (might) have had good intentions in the start, but that Path has become one with steel walls on each side, guards telling you to keep moving, a big shiny light in front of you, and a fire chasing you.. and you run as fast as you can, but there is so many people all around you that you can't seem to get anywhere...

Some people find their own beliefs in the Bible, accept that Jesus died for their sins, realize that we are imperfect, and just live life from that.. these are the Christians that I admire, even if I am a little too aware to go about it this way, but they are happy and fufilled, none the less, and do not go about blindly holding onto the belief that they call themselves Christian and will be saved, and if you aren't Christian, than you will burn in the Hell that they themselves created...

I won't ask how you came about your beliefs in Christianity, or what kind of practice you came up, but I will ask you how you came to the belief that your way was the only right way, and all others doomed.. Please Enlighten.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1817849 - 08/15/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, I hope you didn't think I was serious. I was being sarcastic to express how I don't think there is one true path.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1817853 - 08/15/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry, man, I thought about the sarcasm factor, but I didn't detect it.. it must be off, and the damned Enlightometer doesn't have that feature installed yet... sorry. I didn't recognize you from other posts, to determine if it held true with other things you said, either, so that didn't help.

However, what I said stands, not in direction to you, of course, but to anyone that holds that belief...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1817857 - 08/15/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I should have put a smiley face, but I forgot.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1817884 - 08/15/03 05:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

It's all cool, it's all cool. hehe
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #1818084 - 08/15/03 07:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i dont believe in guardian angels, i believe everything is interconnected so i think intuition may play a role in these things....kinda like star wars when OB1 said, "i feel a disturbance in the force." this makes the most sense to me.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Guardian Angels [Re: CleverName]
    #1818089 - 08/15/03 07:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That disturbing force is where archetypes come from I think. It can be disturbing or peaceful and from that energy field can come ideas about past or future evolution. A lot of people that claim to see guardian angels in traumatic events might be hallucinating an angel archetype to help them get by.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1822085 - 08/17/03 04:21 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

You hear many stories like this about 9/11. "A voice told me to oversleep that day." Uh huh. Had nothing to do with your hangover...

If something can be adequately explained by a random element, why the need for a mysticism?

Maybe because randomness doesn't really explain anything?

That something is random is just a statement that we don't perceive any pattern. Randomness lets us predict that coincidences will occur, but we can't say when or why. We just deduce that they will occur from the fact that if certain coincidences never occurred, that would change the statistics and this would in itself constitute a pattern. Reductio ad absurdum.

All we can say about these types of events is that the exact reasons are unknown to us. The idea of guardian angels is just yet another way of anthropomorphizing the unknown.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies