Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
My Final Religion
    #1487987 - 04/24/03 02:05 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, call me a hypocrit, I'm a Christian, I was raised to be one, and no matter how hard I run from it I have hell burned into my brain, so I scare myself back into it... Why the fuck couldn't my parents have been buddhist?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: My Final Religion [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1488003 - 04/24/03 02:11 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

One word: Groo comics

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: My Final Religion [Re: Dogomush]
    #1488075 - 04/24/03 02:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My religion:

It combines all the religions into one fantastic orgiastic weird religion called the Ryan religion (Ryan is my name).

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: My Final Religion [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1488140 - 04/24/03 03:04 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My religion:

I practice "We Don't Know Shit."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
    #1488238 - 04/24/03 03:41 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ok, call me a hypocrit, I'm a Christian, I was raised to be one, and no matter how hard I run from it I have hell burned into my brain, so I scare myself back into it... Why the fuck couldn't my parents have been buddhist?

This is exactley what they try to drill into your head so you wont sway from the church. Here's a quick tip: ANY Religion that says if your not one of them you go to hell, is full of shit. I could practice my Taoist Zen Mushroomism all my life and be a perfect christian all the while, but if i'm not officially part of the church, many would say, i go to hell. Love all as you would want yourself to be loved, then your doing fine, everything else is just details from there.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Edited by thestringphish (04/24/03 03:45 AM)

Anonymous

#1488888 - 04/24/03 11:45 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

That is a poor reason for believing anything. No belief should be entered into without passing the scrutiny of reason. If your belief can pass that I wouldn't worry too much. If it can't, find something else to believe in.

Cheers,

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: My Final Religion [Re: ]
    #1489269 - 04/24/03 02:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hey rommstein - if it's any consellation, I forgive you of all your sins as a Christian, and you may now begin your journey along your way to finding your OWN TRUE belief .. Don't let other people force feed you their ideals - make your own decisions, but never deny another's point of view...

-- Minister nubious

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: My Final Religion [Re: nubious]
    #1489302 - 04/24/03 02:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Too late, I'm brainwashed beyond return.

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1489357 - 04/24/03 02:26 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You need a level 5 trip to rip that religion bullshit out of your head.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
Re: My Final Religion [Re: Murex]
    #1489490 - 04/24/03 02:52 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You need a level 5 trip to rip that religion bullshit out of your head

Good one murex

I have a brother and sister, that ONCE followers of religion. My bro told me that psychedelics kick the shit out of any religon, and provides you with proof of the real god.

Oh the souls we will lose (possibe date) 06/06/06. He'll give fear a new name,lol.

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1489580 - 04/24/03 03:15 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

rommstein2001, it sounds to me like you're already halfway through your dismissal of Christianity :wink:

Don't be afraid to drop what they've told you, or otherwise you're just helping with the "brainwashing" you mentioned... the only reason religion works so well is because people just believe what they are told, especially at a young age (Hey I was raised Christian as well; Catholic, even >shudder<). Priests especially, and other higher-ups on the christian ladder were simply raised into the religion just as you were, but couldn't look past it like you're starting to do, in my opinion..

I actually learned a lot through abandoning Christianity.... seeing as how "God" hasn't struck me down or whatever (FUCK GOD. FUCK JESUS. How's that? See.. nothing happened.), I learned that questioning and reasoning and thinking critically are trickier than I had thought. If you're happy being christian, then great; stick with it - you'll stay happier. If you're happy searching for truth, then get away from organized religion and you'll stay happier, although the risk of depression and social anxiety I believe will raise, as well as the chances of you beginning to hate your government and education system and other things as well - the first step for me was letting go of religion, and that triggered a cascade of other changes in my life and mind that have made me sad, but its more a sadness for other people than myself. I don't see myself ever going back to christianity because I no longer ENJOY having semi-beliefs to lean on that are unprovable, so for now I stick with "We Don't Know Shit, and whichever religious organizations think they have it figured out the most are the furthest away from the truth."

edit (addition): well reading back on this I see I was a bit harsh on christianity and organized religion - I should also mention that I really like some of the life-lessons that some religions have to offer, and some of the morals and ways-of-being that they support..... its just all the God shit that bothers me to no end

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (04/24/03 03:23 PM)

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: My Final Religion [Re: Murex]
    #1490254 - 04/24/03 06:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You need a level 5 trip to rip that religion bullshit out of your head. 

That'll only make him a gnostic. :smile: 

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1490675 - 04/24/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

you were a living breathing human being before you even heard the word "hell"
go back there
you know that dogmatic fear does not belong in you

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1491416 - 04/25/03 12:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

someone took my brain out and really fucked with it, and they thought it was funny to put it back in. ive seen and i saw, religion. its an 8 letter word. i dont know what else i could really say about it.

i agree with certain aspects of each religion, and theyve helped me cope with the shit problems. and i dont mean like a substitution of reason for "Dogma". i mean a coping mechanism, which allows me to sleep at night and to not feel like Anarchy.

balance and control utilizing chaos to form reason... or something like that. I dont know. it could be wrong but who made anything right in the first place. im just going on faith here, yeah thats trust. cause in the end what do you have? should i really trust in dust?

But in some ways i agree with you. i was raised christian, and i left if for a while but i came back, not to it or all Im off crack because Jesus loves me or anything. but i came back with a different view, different understanding. so i guess its not really the same "religion" or idea. I guess it doesnt matter, this probably doesnt make sense to anyone anyway. the road was too damn long, so i lost People on my journey. Where are you? where are you going? when you really think about it, what do you know? become the greatest scientist. and you know the more things science discovers the more questions are raised. and only by asking more questions can you find more answers, and so on and so on and so on and so on.

has anyone seen Run Lola Run?

--------------------
What?

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: My Final Religion [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1491422 - 04/25/03 12:42 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

has anyone seen Run Lola Run?

No, but you have peaked my interest. What is it?

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: My Final Religion [Re: buttonion]
    #1491458 - 04/25/03 12:56 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

ooooo i couldnt tell you. It works on so many levels. the sound track is bad ass as well. Its a german movie. im sure you could dl it though. i would make sure to get the one with english sub titles. Its about a girl lola who has to get money for her bf... but there are these reincarnations and cycles and different possibilties and stuff. i dont know i couldnt really tell you about it without ruining it. tons of philosophy and great questions. Just an awesome awesome film. i dont think you will be dis apointed. you could even rent it at the movie store. it played for a while at some theatres i think... IF anyone hasnt seen it i suggest they check it out.

--------------------
What?

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: My Final Religion [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1491925 - 04/25/03 03:46 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

my religion:

PARTY TIME!!!!!

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
Re: My Final Religion [Re: Zero7a1] * 1
    #1492359 - 04/25/03 10:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My religion is no religion, it took decades to reach this point. I was raised Catholic but found too many contradictions in it, was indoctrinated into evangelical Christianity at 17 and was through with that at 19, followed the beliefs of Siddha guru Muktananda for a couple of years, had passing interest in Paganism, Buddhism, Siikhism, Taoism and Sufism. Found them all interesting but incomplete, to me the most interesting thing is the point where they all merge and I don't see how you can organize a religion out of that. To me the religious impulse needs to be experienced directly and must hold up in the light of Reason and that is more comforting to me than blind faith in anything. I will always search for understanding it seems, that used to bother me, how much easier it would be to settle down into a belief even if it is not completely accurate. But there is nothing wrong with the search in itself, just with selling yourself short.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology