Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Be Nice = Don't do Drugs or Don't critisize the Ruler etc?
    #1224858 - 01/16/03 08:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I have to start a new thread for this, because I have been barred from posting where the comments appeared! :shocked: :wink:

>I would just like to add that our differences are what makes us a diverse and constantly evolving community.

Yes, but the ruling class gets to define just how much difference is "good," and that which exceeds the limit of difference is deemed "bad," and discouraged.

>By working together, despite any difference in opinion or belief... we will gain so much more.

Gain so much more of what, exactly? My difference in opinion has already been slandered (remember the Great Inquisition in which the "free thinkers" rose against the Rulers? :grin: What became of us?) "Any" difference of opinion has already been qualified by the Ruling class, and the Servile have been forced to get over it, or get out, just as in any society in which laws are forced upon the people.

>Keep an open mind, and let us interact in harmony.

That statement is self-contradicting.

>It IS possible to have an intellectual and stimulating debate that is a learning lesson for BOTH parties without resorting to petty insults and cryptic derogatory statements.

Possible, yes. Should it therefore be law?

I use this as a mere example of "good intentions, but flawed results," for those who read this to ponder, or debate. I no longer have any delusions of changing this system. I no longer care to.
All can do whatever they wish, and I am at peace with that. I am at peace with war, rape, famine, and murder. I am at peace with my own fate, and I am at peace with my understanding of the world, however flawed it may be. 

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Be Nice = Don't do Drugs or Don't critisize the Ruler etc? [Re: Ulysees]
    #1224964 - 01/16/03 10:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

ok..

>I would just like to add that our differences are what makes us a diverse and constantly evolving community.

Yes, but the ruling class gets to define just how much difference is "good," and that which exceeds the limit of difference is deemed "bad," and discouraged.

No. Difference is good, and encouraged. We are encouraging people to not flame each other.

>By working together, despite any difference in opinion or belief... we will gain so much more.

Gain so much more of what, exactly? My difference in opinion has already been slandered (remember the Great Inquisition in which the "free thinkers" rose against the Rulers?  What became of us?) "Any" difference of opinion has already been qualified by the Ruling class, and the Servile have been forced to get over it, or get out, just as in any society in which laws are forced upon the people.

Gain what is called "understanding" and a "diverse yet harmonious community" :wink:
As far as your cries of oppression, I'm not quite sure how to respond. This being a privately owned server, the mods and admin or the "ruling elite" as you would like to call them, make the rules based on their best judgement how they think would make the place run most efficiently. If you see a flaw in the logic, you may present it. This is not communism. So do you not like the ONE RULE that's not even a rule yet just a STRONG SUGGESTION? Does the suggestion to Be Nice hinder you from posting to your full ability?

>Keep an open mind, and let us interact in harmony.

That statement is self-contradicting.

I fail to see that. In keeping an open mind, you are willing to work with any entity regardless of their opinions and beliefs and thus.. interact in harmony.

>It IS possible to have an intellectual and stimulating debate that is a learning lesson for BOTH parties without resorting to petty insults and cryptic derogatory statements.

Possible, yes. Should it therefore be law?

Well, if you'll pay close attention...nowhere does it say any of these things are law, not even the be nice policy. It's just a rough guideline to let newcomers know that flaming and such that goes on in OTD and other BBs is not tolerated here.

So while I can sympathize with your plight to fight the power man, I think you're fighting the wrong power. We're not here to impose rules on people to feel powerful. We simply want a peaceful and hate-free forum. That's not just our will but the will of the Admin, and whether you want to call them the "ruling class" or not, they own the Shroomery, and they can do as they wish with it. Open discussion is always encouraged, we are not Nazis. You can do and say pretty much whatever the hell you want as long as you don't go around viciously attacking people. I don't think it's too much to ask to "Be Nice".

Since you used quotes from my reply, I should have you know that was simply my comment to Mr_Mushrooms post, my opinion. Nowhere did I say any of the things I said was a rule. Frankly, the Shroomery is probably one of the most leniant BBs on the internet. However, over time we need to develop a few guidelines to prevent total anarchy from occurring. Been to OTD lately?

I can't figure out if your challenging the rule because you actually feel threatened by a half-existant rule, or if your just challenging it for the sake of controversy. I'm guessing a little bit of both, and I can appreciate that.

I'd just like you to keep in mind that we have the best interest of the community as a whole at heart... and if we see something that is effecting it negatively we will take steps to change it. If you see a flaw in a mod's logic and/or choice of action you may PM them or an admin and voice your opinion. While the "ruling class" is often quite busy working on improving the Shroomery server, layout, multiple FAQs and on and on..  they will find time to respond to every PM.

You may be at peace with war, rape, famine and murder but I am not. As long as we keep a watchful eye it's our hope that such things would never occur here. We want to PREVENT such negative things like that from happening. By PROMOTING positivity, love and such. Tell me, what's flawed with that logic? 

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1224978 - 01/16/03 10:17 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Just to give you an idea here's a the real "RULES" that have just recently been deployed in OTD.

1. PLAY NICE. This forum is a community that developed before you got here. Think of it like walking into a bar in a strange town - if you go in with a bad attitude, throwing insults at all and sundry, don't be surprised if someone wraps a pool cue around your goddamn head. Similarly, if you come in here specifically looking for a fight, you may find we throw you the fuck out for good without giving you the pleasure. Disagreements will inevitably occur (this is a discusion forum after all, which relies on differences of opinion to exist), and when they do we ask you to maintain your dignity and keep personal insults to a minimum. You are entitled to express any opinions you choose, but you will be required to defend them in rational debate should we disagree..

2. THINK. Think before you press 'post'. Think about what you've just written, and the impression it will give us of you. Think about whether it's even worth posting at all. If it doesn't add anything to the topic at hand, click 'back'. If it makes you look like an idiot, then we're liable to laugh at you, so we'd advice against posting it.
When you're about to start a new thread, think about whether it's likely to have been done before. If your idea isn't startlingly original, check back a few pages through the forum to see if a similar topic has been active recently. If it has, post your thoughts in there rather than starting a whole new topic.

3. ADDITIONAL WARNINGS!

* All mods are to lock threads with a reason posted in the closed thread. If a user makes it a habit to post a thread asking why "was this thread was locked" instead of PMing the mod who closed it, it wont be too long before we get tired of that shit and just ban your ass and all the puppets you make.. We want to be fair here, but dont want to have trolls not using PM's and junking up the forums. It's alot of work for us... so trashing the repeat offenders and trolls is the easiest way for us to deal with it. Make it easy for us...... we take it easy on you.

Thanks..

Shroomery Administration

So as you can see, OTD has the same general "Be Nice" policy, however it is much more concrete and harsh than the one we have here. This isn't because of a power trip, this is from years and years of experience on OTD from many different points of view who determine that the only way to stop people from abusing the forum is to create a couple simple rules. S,P&S is a much more sophisticated forum, or one would like to think.. so we have no need for such harsh rules. Just a gentle reminder to not go crazy with hatred.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1225178 - 01/17/03 02:03 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Listen to shroomism and quit yer whining. I play hard here at times and yet never feel limited in expressing myself. Possibly you like to offend merely for the sake of offending else it is unlikely you would be censured. The mods here are thougtful, caring and intelligent men.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Be Nice = Don't do Drugs or Don't critisize the Ruler etc? [Re: Swami]
    #1225191 - 01/17/03 02:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If we were such nazis I would have locked this thread and not replied to it :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Be Nice = Don't do Drugs or Don't critisize the Ruler etc? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1225197 - 01/17/03 02:17 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sieg heil!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: Be Nice = Don't do Drugs or Don't critisize the Ruler etc? [Re: Swami]
    #1225225 - 01/17/03 02:34 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I agree that the mods do an awesome job, and I am very grateful for the hard work they put into this forum and The Shroomery in general. I love my mods.

However, I think they should be honest. The Policy is not a "suggestion", as Shroomism has put it, and, contrary to what Shroomism said, it is very much a law. No one could possibly object if it were a mere suggestion, a sticky thread telling people that being nice is a good thing. However, that isn't the case. There are threads locked because of it, and at least one person has been temporarily banned.

As it seems, The Policy is supported by a sweeping consensus. That being the case, I don't have any objections against it. However, if I had to state my personal opinion, I think it makes this place look poorer than it really is. The S&P - Forum has been a very nice place before The Policy, and it would still be without. Contrary to OTD, this place simply does not need laws.

In my opinion, The Policy makes this forum look bad. As if people would start jumping at each other's throat as soon as they were not forced to be nice. That is untrue.

Edit: Hey, I can still talk by editing my message. That's cool.  :cool:
Just kidding. Thread closed.

Edited by Nomad (01/17/03 03:42 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Be Nice = Don't do Drugs or Don't critisize the Ruler etc? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1225313 - 01/17/03 03:10 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

If we were such nazis I would have locked this thread and not replied to it :wink: 

Der Furher just arrived.

Discussion closed.

Any questions about Policy or Moderator action can be addressed via pms.

Use them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom