Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]
WTF happened to music?!
    #9703321 -

Since I've been layed off I've been staying up late and watching a bit more tv than usual. I've been watching videos on MTV for the first time in about 5 years and holy shit! What happened to music!!?

Rap - every fucking video is a bunch of guys jumping around their expensive cars holding their gold chains up to the camera everytime the camera focus's on them. And EVERY, and I mean EVERY rap video I've seen so far has them throwing money into the air like its pocket change. The worst part is that the songs don't even make sense. Its a bunch of random noises and the words money, baller, millionaire, and Benz repeated 50 times. What happened to the days of Dre, Snoop, Naughty by Nature, and hell even Warren G regulators. Its all shit now.

Rock- what a bunch of fucking whiney pussies rockers turned into. Every rockers hair is black. They all wear eye shadow. And they all pretty much cry over seeing their girl with another guy. WTF! Its all so commercialized. The camera zooms into every iPhone, iPod, mac like its a fucking commercial. These new rockers are such pussies they make the Aerosmith, RHCP, STP, Pearl Jam era look like a hardcore punk scene.

Seriously, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Grateful Dead have no competition for the latest generation of musical genius's.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703328 -

Sounds like it's been more than 5 years :lol:
And don't worry, there's always been more shitty music than good music, but the shit fades as the years go on.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: jewunit]
    #9703364 -

popular music of the time represent the thoughts,desires,and goals of the people that listen to it. were in alot of trouble


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: jewunit]
    #9703366 -

who cares about mainstream music anyways?
if you find you're own niche there is plenty of new music to enjoy.


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703411 -

Ahh, yes...indeed...spoken just like the average simpleton who gets all his current music from MTV/mainstream radio...  (even though you claimed you don't, your comments make it obvious that you do)


Seriously though, there is a TON of great music out there if you actually take the time to look instead of just accepting what MTV feeds you...maybe you should think for yourself and explore better music, eh?


--------------------
:stoneowl:                                                                                                :watchingyou:                                                                                                :stoneowl:

Edited by Geomancer (01/29/09 11:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Geomancer]
    #9703425 -

kanye west thinks he is the next led zeppelin...hahaha. :rofl:


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: thirdtragedy]
    #9703434 -

thirdtragedy said:
kanye west thinks he is the next led zeppelin...hahaha. :rofl:



:ilold:

Kanye West is a fucking hack...


--------------------
:stoneowl:                                                                                                :watchingyou:                                                                                                :stoneowl:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Geomancer]
    #9703442 -

Geomancer said:
Ahh, yes...indeed...spoken just like the average simpleton who gets all his current music from MTV/mainstream radio...  (even though you claimed you don't, your comments make it obvious that you do)


Seriously though, there is a TON of great music out there if you actually take the time to look instead of just accepting what MTV feeds you...maybe you should think for yourself and explore better music, eh?



Dude, if you read what I wrote you'd see that this was the first time I turned on MTV in years. The bands I like are as non mainstream as you can get.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703447 -

I read what you wrote.

But why the fuck would you say something like "what happened to music" based purely off of what you saw on MTV though, if you didn't think that was the representation of all music these days?


Besides...mainstream music was just as gay 5 years ago as it is now.


--------------------
:stoneowl:                                                                                                :watchingyou:                                                                                                :stoneowl:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703485 -

'What happened to MTV' should be the name of this thead.

Music is doing just fine.


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703489 -

allhallows said:
Seriously, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Grateful Dead have no competition for the latest generation of musical genius's.



I'm not really sure what that means, but by context this rephrasing is what I understand it to mean: 'Seriously, the latest generation of musical geniuses are shit compared to The Beatles, etc.'

However, the latest generation of musical geniuses aren't playing on mtv. They're playing prog metal around the world :p.

I know it's been beaten to death dude, but seriously wtf were you doing watching mtv? Did you expect to see actual music? Because MTV's fascination with shit started much earlier than the last five years (though granted, it's gotten worse). MTV *rarely* [never] plays good music, and it's always been like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: The_Ghost]
    #9703498 -

The_Ghost said:
'What happened to MTV' should be the name of this thead.




Dammit, that's what I was going to say! :crankey:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Geomancer]
    #9703504 -

Geomancer said:
I read what you wrote.

But why the fuck would you say something like "what happened to music" based purely off of what you saw on MTV though, if you didn't think that was the representation of all music these days?


Besides...mainstream music was just as gay 5 years ago as it is now.



I wasnt talking about "all" music. Just what I observed while watching a couple hours of MTV. Maybe you are right on the mainstream music being gay 5 years ago as well. Its probably because I've pretty much blocked all mainstream/radio music from my ears for as long as I can remember. The music I am into has never been on MTV and most likely never will.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: The_Ghost]
    #9703509 -

The_Ghost said:
'What happened to MTV' should be the name of this thead.



Yes, I think that would make a lot more sense...

MTV/BET in the late '80's early '90s was actually showing good stuff.


--------------------
:stoneowl:                                                                                                :watchingyou:                                                                                                :stoneowl:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: The_Ghost]
    #9703534 -

The_Ghost said:
'What happened to MTV' should be the name of this thead.

Music is doing just fine.



Yeah, this is pretty much what I was trying to say.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703540 -

Welcome back to the late 80's.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703542 -

There is amazing new music coming out every single month of every year.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #9703544 -

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
There is amazing new music coming out every single month of every year.


Day*


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: The_Ghost]
    #9703612 -

The problem with music is.. well, it died a long time ago.

I havn't heard a good album in 20 years.

I only listen to classic rock and a bit of hardcore punk (DK, Black Flag) but I can't stand nearly any of todays music.

Nobody is inspirational anymore, I think it's mostly because in today's society, you don't have to be good. Any fuckhead with a pretty face can be a millionaire. Nobody in the music industry (besides a small number of people) has any talent. Nobody is doing anything revolutionary or interesting. These assholes have found something that works (i dont care to decipher what this may be) and they are going with it, and people LOVE it.

personally I fucking can't stand 99% of hiphop, or "rock" or "hardcore" or todays "metal" bands.

None of them compare to older bands who were MUCH MUCH more talented.

and they don't even try.

rant rant rant.

I was born in the wrong time period lol.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 12:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703618 -

allhallows said:
Rap - every fucking video is a bunch of guys jumping around their expensive cars holding their gold chains up to the camera everytime the camera focus's on them. And EVERY, and I mean EVERY rap video I've seen so far has them throwing money into the air like its pocket change. The worst part is that the songs don't even make sense. Its a bunch of random noises and the words money, baller, millionaire, and Benz repeated 50 times.




omg this dude is so pissed and its hilarious. :imslow:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703634 -

I'll admit most of my favorite music is from the 60's (Hendrix, Airplane, the whole psychedelic movement and San Francisco sound), but there's good stuff out there now too. It's just that all our proudest musical traditions have been usurped by bland corporate interests and you have to look around a bit to find the good stuff.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 01:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703646 -

My biggest problem is that nobody has ANY personality these days.

You look at Led Zeppelin and you'll get Bonzo up on stage doing a 20 minute drum solo,

Townshend smashing his guitar all over the god damn place,

Hendrix lighting shit on fire and fucking his amps,

and a ton of other things like that.

Nobody today has any soul. All the classic rock artists got inspiration from blues/jazz artists and portrayed it in their work.

Todays "artists" are just businessmen.



--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703684 -

pfxtc said:
My biggest problem is that nobody has ANY personality these days.

You look at Led Zeppelin and you'll get Bonzo up on stage doing a 20 minute drum solo,

Townshend smashing his guitar all over the god damn place,

Hendrix lighting shit on fire and fucking his amps,

and a ton of other things like that.

Nobody today has any soul. All the classic rock artists got inspiration from blues/jazz artists and portrayed it in their work.

Todays "artists" are just businessmen.





You're completely full of shit.  You need to hear more music.  Try The Mars Volta, Tool, Meshuggah, all bands with a ton of personality and passion, and sheer originality.  Music is dead? GTFO

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703692 -

Most of the contemporary music I listen to is electronic - Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, and the like. Dubstep is also an awesome emerging genre. There are some real geniuses at work today, like there always have been, they just can't afford to set fire to their equipment - it's very expensive. :tongue2:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 01:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703700 -

Jufin said:
pfxtc said:
My biggest problem is that nobody has ANY personality these days.

You look at Led Zeppelin and you'll get Bonzo up on stage doing a 20 minute drum solo,

Townshend smashing his guitar all over the god damn place,

Hendrix lighting shit on fire and fucking his amps,

and a ton of other things like that.

Nobody today has any soul. All the classic rock artists got inspiration from blues/jazz artists and portrayed it in their work.

Todays "artists" are just businessmen.





You're completely full of shit.  You need to hear more music.  Try The Mars Volta, Tool, Meshuggah, all bands with a ton of personality and passion, and sheer originality.  Music is dead? GTFO



Lol.

Tool is OK at best,

Meshuggah is garbage as is Mars Volta.

please.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703704 -

pfxtc said:
Tool is OK at best,

Meshuggah is garbage as is Mars Volta.

please.



Quoted for agreement.

PF, you listen to any electronic music? Do you not like the synthetic sound? I didn't used to either but electronica is really where it's at right now. At least to my tastes.

:2cents:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 01:20 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703705 -

Good music is still out there. You just have to look a little harder.

MTV is a horrible place to start.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703709 -

I can't stand that shit to be honest :smile:

I like maybe 3 electronic songs, but thats because they were all a part of my first shroom trip lol and I still love them.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703710 -

Clearly you just have a really shitty taste in music.  Go back to the 70s, fag.  :evil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703715 -

Jufin said:
Clearly you just have a really shitty taste in music.  Go back to the 70s, fag.  :evil:



Yes.

Mars Volta is clearly better then Zep. Meshuggah is WAY thrashier then Kill 'em All Metallica. And Tool is WAYYY more psychedelic then Pink Floyd.


PLEASE!

Don't get me wrong though,

there's a few good artists out there today :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 01:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703720 -

Hey, you'll find something you like, it's not like good music can "die." It just gets bored of old sounds and moves on to new ones. Then the old sounds get taken over by filthy charlatans who piss on the graves of the gods that came before them. :stoned:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703724 -

Tchan909 said:
Hey, you'll find something you like, it's not like good music can "die." It just gets bored of old sounds and moves on to new ones. Then the old sounds get taken over by filthy charlatans who piss on the graves of the gods that came before them. :stoned:



That's actually a great way to put it,

I just prefer the classic sound I guess :confused:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703725 -

Yeah, I feel you. We both have Floyd avatars after all. :rockon:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703730 -

Like people have already said in this thread, there is lots of amazing music today, more than ever before.  Each and every tiny little music subgenre is bursting with new, raw talent.  You just have to go a little underground.  Stop wasting your fucking life watching MTV.

"Golden era" assholes generally have very closed minds.


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703731 -

haha hell yeah.

and I'm no "golden era" asshole, I listen to anything and everything ESPECIALLY before I go out and criticize it.

there's a handful of bands today that I love, White Stripes being one of my favorite.

just nothing compares to the "golden era" in my eyes :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 01:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703745 -

pfxtc said:
Jufin said:
Clearly you just have a really shitty taste in music.  Go back to the 70s, fag.  :evil:



Yes.

Mars Volta is clearly better then Zep. Meshuggah is WAY thrashier then Kill 'em All Metallica. And Tool is WAYYY more psychedelic then Pink Floyd.




Thrashier?  More Psychedelic?  What does that mean?  Are saying that the more extreme a genre the better it is?  You could say that Yes are more psychedelic that Pink Floyd, would that make them better? 

IMO Mars Volta are better than Zep, Meshuggah fucking shit all over Metallica, and Tool are better than Pink Floyd.  I'm not bagging any of those bands but I feel that music has evolved since then.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703753 -

Jufin said:
pfxtc said:
Jufin said:
Clearly you just have a really shitty taste in music.  Go back to the 70s, fag.  :evil:



Yes.

Mars Volta is clearly better then Zep. Meshuggah is WAY thrashier then Kill 'em All Metallica. And Tool is WAYYY more psychedelic then Pink Floyd.




Thrashier?  More Psychedelic?  What does that mean?  Are saying that the more extreme a genre the better it is?  You could say that Yes are more psychedelic that Pink Floyd, would that make them better? 

IMO Mars Volta are better than Zep, Meshuggah fucking shit all over Metallica, and Tool are better than Pink Floyd.  I'm not bagging any of those bands but I feel that music has evolved since then.



Haha,

you're a funny guy.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703755 -

Jufin said:
Tool are better than Pink Floyd.



So tempted to give you a 0-shroom rating for this most heinous of fabrications. Soooo... tempted.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 01:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703762 -

while there really is a ton of incredible music out there these days, and throughout these last many years, i do feel your pain.

i've just been sitting here listening to tracks from an old mp3 disk of mine that i had lost years ago. it's brought me back to several groups i had out-right forgotten, and some i just hadn't thought about in a while. it's refreshing.


--------------------



Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703765 -

Tchan909 said:
Jufin said:
Tool are better than Pink Floyd.



So tempted to give you a 0-shroom rating for this most heinous of fabrications. Soooo... tempted.



Haha seriously...


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703766 -

Just being honest.:smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703770 -

There would be no Tool without Pink Floyd.

Honestly.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703776 -

Yeah, what's your point?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703779 -

And there would be no Pink Floyd without <insert floyd influences here>

It's all progression


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703783 -

That comparing Tool is Pink Floyd is just laughable.

but anyway :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 01:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703785 -

I don't think that I've heard an original thought let alone an original note for several years now.

Fuck, I'm only 22 man, inspire me people.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703788 -

Tool is great and all but their sound is so narrow compared to the wide range of sonic territory explored by Floyd. Compare Piper at the Gates of Dawn to The Wall, then compare Undertow to 10,000 Days.

I enjoy variety and ongoing development of musical technique. Tool apparently doesn't.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 01:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703794 -

Tchan909 said:
Tool is great and all but their sound is so narrow compared to the wide range of sonic territory explored by Floyd. Compare Piper at the Gates of Dawn to The Wall, then compare Undertow to 10,000 days.

I enjoy variety and ongoing development of musical technique. Tool apparently doesn't.



:thumbup:

My opinion is that Tool is kind of like "a child" learning the ropes of psychedelic rock,

and Pink Floyd is the creator :smile:

but I'm slightly biased.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 01:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703808 -

Tool's idea of music is more perfecting a certain sound rather than experimenting, even though they do experiment, just not as much as Pink Floyd.  I personally prefer the intensity, feel, and lyrics of Tool than Pink Floyd.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703812 -

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion :smile:

and to be honest,

Tool was my absolute favorite band about 3 or 4 years ago.

Then I discovered pyschedelics.

How many Pink Floyd songs have you heard? There's more too them then just Another Brick in the Wall :smile: Once they click for you, you're stuck to them :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 01:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703834 -

Jufin said:
Tool's idea of music is more perfecting a certain sound rather than experimenting, even though they do experiment, just not as much as Pink Floyd.  I personally prefer the intensity, feel, and lyrics of Tool than Pink Floyd.



Tool's sound is quite unique. Don't get me wrong, I actually kind of just discovered them and have been enjoying them a fair bit. I just really enjoy the open-ended experimentation of Floyd. I also thought that was what the "progressive" genre was all about, but I could be wrong. :confused:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703844 -

I think good bands don't get recognised as easily today.  Floyd would have got their break and got into a mainstream media channel such as radio, and then got huge.  Now the primary media channel is the internet people have so much choice available to them that bands don't stand out and grow as explosively.  Which means you have to look for good music and not just complain about the mainstream being shit when all the mainstream caters to is 12 year old girls.


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: sam420]
    #9703852 -

sam420 said:
I think good bands don't get recognised as easily today.  Floyd would have got their break and got into a mainstream media channel such as radio, and then got huge.  Now the primary media channel is the internet people have so much choice available to them that bands don't stand out and grow as explosively.  Which means you have to look for good music and not just complain about the mainstream being shit when all the mainstream caters to is 12 year old girls.



:werd:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703858 -

Very very true,

like I said in my first post ( I think ), the Internet is a reason why the emergence of could-be great bands is limited.

hopefully things don't stay this way,

but they're gonna get worse :smile:

fuck technology.

sort of.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 01:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703862 -

I really like Piper at the Gates of Dawn, easily my favorite one.  DSOTM is good as well, but I never really got into the others.  They just don't do it for me like Tool do...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703873 -

Jufin said:
I really like Piper at the Gates of Dawn, easily my favorite one.  DSOTM is good as well, but I never really got into the others.  They just don't do it for me like Tool do...



Anyone who likes Piper is cool in my book :smile:

Most say they don't like Pink Floyd after listening to The Wall once or twice (I can't stand that album btw) and blow them off, when their best material is DSOTM, Piper, Wish You Were Here, and others..

Tool just seems a little too dark for me, don't really dig the vibes that much. Pink Floyd's music always had a secondary meaning to it in my eyes, DSOTM especially. Very spiritual feeling to it. IMO :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703874 -

pfxtc said:
Very very true,

like I said in my first post ( I think ), the Internet is a reason why the emergence of could-be great bands is limited.

hopefully things don't stay this way,

but they're gonna get worse :smile:

fuck technology.

sort of.



you're missing the point.  things are great.  all you have to do is turn off your tv and download some great music.  there's way more choice available to us now, it's total musical freedom.  in the 60's you had to listen to what capitalism provided you with.

if i LOVE listening to people meowing like a cat and playing the harp, if that's my bag i could probably find it on the internet

if i love a tiny tiny subgenre of a genre, i can explore it in detail


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: sam420]
    #9703888 -

sam420 said:
pfxtc said:
Very very true,

like I said in my first post ( I think ), the Internet is a reason why the emergence of could-be great bands is limited.

hopefully things don't stay this way,

but they're gonna get worse :smile:

fuck technology.

sort of.



you're missing the point.  things are great.  all you have to do is turn off your tv and download some great music.  there's way more choice available to us now, it's total musical freedom.  in the 60's you had to listen to what capitalism provided you with.

if i LOVE listening to people meowing like a cat and playing the harp, if that's my bag i could probably find it on the internet

if i love a tiny tiny subgenre of a genre, i can explore it in detail



haha, I have 15 gigs of music and I'm an avid Dead Kennedys fan (GET OFF THE AIR MTV!)

idk, I have a hard time finding music that I like nowadays, it just really doesn't compare in my eyes.

but I'm very very very picky :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 02:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703895 -

I read somewhere they made The Wall for money, cos they were broke.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703905 -

Something like that,

it's a fucking LONG album,

and I can't stand Roger Waters' voice,

and I think the whole thing is just kind of boring.... Definately one of my LEAST favorites.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703914 -

15 gigs?  you must be picky


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: sam420]
    #9703920 -

lol,

I'm definately picky,

but I listen to EVERYTHING so I have a good amount :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9703949 -

Jufin said:
Yes




Yes!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9703966 -

I honestly like almost all of Floyd's albums, even The Final Cut (which is really Pink Floyd in name only, but I think it's decent). In fact, the only Floyd album I honestly can't stand is A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Roger Waters already made this joke, but they really couldn't have named that one better. Fucking sucks. Division Bell is decent though.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, though. Their sound progresses (get it? PROGRESSIVE? Take notes here, folks) so much from the start to the finish that I can't even comfortably divide their catalogue up into eras where individual albums stand out.

Piper is some of the best psychedelic music I've heard, Meddle breaks the ground that DSOTM stands tall on, Wish You Were Here is beautiful, Animals is underrated but wonderfully melodic, The Wall is downright operatic... et cetera. They all have their own strengths. I even love Atom Heart Mother.

There are others I haven't even mentioned here but I love them too.

I admit it: I'm a total Pink Floyd fanboy. I would blow every current and former member of that band, living or dead.

Figuratively speaking of course. :blush:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 02:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9703976 -

shut up and listen to your own music again. I do it all the time lately.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: wildchild68]
    #9703983 -

wildchild68 said:
Jufin said:
Yes




Yes!




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703985 -

Tchan909 said:
I honestly like almost all of Floyd's albums, even The Final Cut (which is really Pink Floyd in name only, but I think it's decent). In fact, the only Floyd album I honestly can't stand is A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Roger Waters already made this joke, but they really couldn't have named that one better. Fucking sucks. Division Bell is decent though.

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, though. Their sound progresses (get it? PROGRESSIVE? Take notes here, folks) so much from the start to the finish that I can't even comfortably divide their catalogue up into eras where individual albums stand out.

Piper is some of the best psychedelic music I've heard, Meddle broke the ground that DSOTM stood tall on, Wish You Were Here is beautiful, Animals is underrated but wonderfully melodic, The Wall is downright operatic... et cetera. They all have their own strengths.

I admit it: I'm a total Pink Floyd fanboy. I would blow every current and former member of that band, living or dead.



I'm not really a huge fan of anything after Animals (I can't fucking stand the progressive rock sound overload, the psychedelic stuff is way better) but each of the "newer" albums definetely have their bright sides.

And my favorite Pink Floyd song is Astronomy Domine off Piper, and my favorite album has gotta be Wish You Were Here followed by DSOTM.

Hell, I even listen to the members' solo albums, listening to THE MADCAP LAUGHS right now :smile:

I never thought I would have liked these guys, but I have been listening to them for a little over a year now. In my eyes they are THE most creative band in all of music. Nobody can put me in the same  head space like Pink Floyd can, they're rivaled only by Led Zeppelin in my eyes.

And I'd totally go gay for them all too don't worry, LOL.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 02:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9703987 -

ummagumma :awebig:

i like pretty much all pink floyd...even the wall. i actually ran someone off the road last winter because i was getting too into that damn cd :lol:. no damage, don't worry, everyone was fine.

tool is the better band though IMO. while their lyrics are both equally complex, i prefer the guitar style in tool's work more than PF.

my friend's favorite band is the mars volta, but i can't get into them. meshuggah is....not so good.

anyone like porcupine tree? they're not my favorite band, but they have some really eerie songs that stick in my head. radioactive toy :eek:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: JT]
    #9703994 -

How good is the solo in hooker with a penis... Melts my brain...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: JT]
    #9703995 -

Never heard of them :smile:

Never really understood Mars Volta either,

I tried Meshuggah, I really did, but I think Metallica and Megadeth and Exodus just kill the shit out of them.

And Pink Floyd was never really about the guitar solo's, even though Gilmour tears the shit out of a good amount of the songs,

The most unique aspect of their music was definately Rick Wright's playing of the keyboards, totally made the music THAT much better.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 02:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: JT]
    #9703999 -

all im thinking bout is a porcupine with marshmellows on em'

I cant vouch for rap tho i never have i just happen to be in the wrong place at the right time so if the stuff fly's its all right but ever since dipset broke up things haven't sat right with me:paranoid:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9704005 -

pfxtc said:
And I'd totally go gay for them all too don't worry, LOL.



Hell yeah.  :blowjob:

I haven't listened to any of their solo albums though, which I just realized is a fucking travesty considering there are actually a lot of them. I should get on top of that, like, now, since I was just lamenting how everything I've been listening to lately is getting stale.

I've been in love with Floyd ever since I jacked my dad's tapes as a kid. :lol: But then when I started doing drugs, oh, it was ON.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: JT]
    #9704007 -

justin_thyme said:
ummagumma :awebig:



:drooling:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9704011 -

Tchan909 said:
pfxtc said:
And I'd totally go gay for them all too don't worry, LOL.



Hell yeah.  :blowjob:

I haven't listened to any of their solo albums though, which I just realized is a fucking travesty considering there are actually a lot of them. I should get on top of that, like, now, since I was just lamenting how everything I've been listening to lately is getting stale.

I've been in love with Floyd ever since I jacked my dad's tapes as a kid. :lol: But then when I started doing drugs, oh, it was ON.



Haha hell yeah, I distinctly remember listening to The Wall when I was like 8 years old and was like MAN WHO ARE THESE PINK FLOYD GUYS!! Same with The Beatles lol. Then a whole bunch years later I get into psychedelics and it's like "OH.. ok, this is music".. it's cool too, listening to Pink Floyd and the Beatles brings back a stream of childhood memories.

Also if you havn't already check out Cream, Clapton is so good :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 02:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9704020 -

jeez luiz the tool shit was just:eek:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9704024 -

Jufin said:
How good is the solo in hooker with a penis... Melts my brain...



yeahh dude! that song is such an unexpected masterpiece lol.

for anyone interested in porcupine tree...



it's a little slow in the beginning

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: JT]
    #9704031 -

I like their album In Absentia.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9704048 -

I know you floyd fanboys ain't gonna like it, but I think Syd Barrett is seriously over-rated.

In my opinion, Roger Waters was soley (according to wikipedia) responsible for a fair few of pink floyd's best songs, like the Album Animals (except dogs, which is tied with time for my favourite floyd track), Comfortably numb, If, San Tropez, Money, Young lust, Have a Cigar..

The Waters - Guilmore - Wright era was responsible for the best albums: DSOTM, Wish you were here & Meddle.

I've listened to PATGOD quite a few times and it just doesn't appeal to me. Likewise I have Syd Barret's Octopus & Vegetable man where are you and I can't say any tracks particularly shine on either of them.

David Guilmore's On an Island is a fucking epic album (even though a bit cheesey in places) & I have Roger Waters' The pros and cons of hitchiking. Its an alright album, but yeah you're right, his voice does get a bit annoying :shrug:.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Jufin]
    #9704049 -

FTR to say Zep wasnt different was an understatement i know shit about zep only cuz people compare them to mars volta i honestly dont see the resemblence until some select songs i scrapped up off here, but i think where as zep was out picking lemons, mars volta is making lemon juice and squeezing it in your eye, if that makes any sense.

jus look at the ORL...

but where the heck is the system people at i need to buy a shirt or something got dang

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9704051 -

Cepheus said:
I know you floyd fanboys ain't gonna like it, but I think Syd Barrett is seriously over-rated.




:smoker:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9704053 -

I don't feel Barrett is overrated but I will agree that Roger Waters is seriously underrated. He kind of came off as a douche after the breakup but honestly you can't blame him for it. Like I said before, A Momentary Lapse of Reason was :puke:. Gilmore and Wright are great (and Gilmore's voice, in particular, is the voice of Pink Floyd to me) but they couldn't save that turkey.

Floyd is definitely at its best when its members are working as a team rather than eating each other alive.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 03:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9704073 -

I heard the members of weezer didn't even consider each other friends.  Thats got to be hard tho the other mates musta kicked and screamed about the wall.

I was supposed to see their best cover band in the world from austrailia not to long ago, ended up doing the same ol' crap instead figures.  The Wall is a must see for anyone tho up there with animatrix, but the wall grabs you for the most part.

Not like that Dark side of Oz.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Konyap]
    #9704082 -

The movie of The Wall was incredible. I rented it thinking I was gonna watch it on shrooms, but I gave it a sober test run, and decided against it. :rofl:

I do like The Wall, and I don't really think the other members necessarily resisted the artistic control Waters took, they just made it seem that way for the sake of the legal battles that came up when Waters tried to shut the band down for good. Rather I think Wright and Gilmore had a period of artistic exhaustion whereas Waters never really ran out of ideas. I feel like this is shown pretty clearly both by AMLOR, which was utter crap, had tons of "contributors," and was probably made for money, but also by the years-later Division Bell which was a wonderful return to form for the band.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9704099 -

good stuff i almost watched a scanner darkley and family guy to keep it in perspective tho i dont think pink floyd would trip you out i think itd be the other way around lol

ill look into it tho my bro was the one who got me the tickets and im reallly a bother bout checking them out with piper at the gates of dawn around

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Konyap]
    #9704123 -

Eh, too much blood, too much freaky Freudian imagery, too many depictions of hopeless insanity. That's all the stuff that fucks my head when I'm tripping. Plus I think that would have been, like, my third trip ever at that time. I might consider watching it on acid or shrooms now, but I definitely don't regret not watching it at that stage. :lol:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9704822 -

Here in ye jolly olde England we don't have MTV, unless you're one of the rich folk with sky or cable, we have something worse called TMF. TMF is to music television what 40 ounce bottles of fermented horse piss are to beers. As well as playing the usual bling n bitches rap, and "I'd cut myself but my mom would cut my allowance" 'rock' music, it also plays chav techno.

If you want an example of chav techno, sit down first.

Oh! It happens to be Swedish, (well, that's still northern). Sweden, land of the vikings, abba, mass sterilisation programs and chav techno. This is the sort of stuff the pond life dances to whilst drinking lambrini or alcopops.

Hiphop's changed to something I don't recognise here anymore. Gone are the days of snap, and.. Goldie looking chain? That's about it for british hiphop. But we have got grime. A lot of grime is shit, instead of bitches and bling it's Asbo's & knives.

Well, here's Grime. I happen to quite like some grime, but I also like happy hardcore. Go figure.


Which is not to be confused with Dilinja's "Grimey"

Which is good old drum and bass, cockney knees up, whelks and eggs.


--------------------

Edited by Visionary Tools (01/30/09 10:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #9705021 -

You can't judge music based off MTV, at least not nowadays. You have to look underground. MTV is just a shitty musical ponzi scheme, everyone is just making money off each other while real talent goes out the window.

The public just wants something shitty to drink to at the club, and thats what they're getting.

People need to do more acid.

:2cents:


--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Green_T]
    #9705231 -

stop the battle of the bands

enjoy the music

'xept mtv

but hey we can't go around like old fucks saying ''naaah our shit was better back then in the days, hip hop is not where it's at''

im a late 60's music fan, i listen to the Doors, Cream, hendrix, jefferson airplane, donovan, you know, that rock n roll scene

i just happen to like that a lot

I also play music in a band and we try to get the rock sound, cause you know, we sound like what we are


if punk's not dead
rock is still out there:peace:


ps im gonna post our recordings soon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Justice_Fish]
    #9705389 -

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder.
You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you
get older.
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south,
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man,
All alone and dying of cancer.

And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone.
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw
around.
So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone,
Dragged down by the stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone.


YES! :psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9705810 -

allhallows said:
Since I've been layed off I've been staying up late and watching a bit more tv than usual. I've been watching videos on MTV for the first time in about 5 years and holy shit! What happened to music!!?

Seriously, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Grateful Dead have no competition for the latest generation of musical genius's.



You are looking in the wrong place, we are in the middle of a psychedelic music explosion.
It always takes the mass media awhile to catch on to new sounds, I am hearing some interesting STs in new movies.

Anyway here's a list of post 2000 artists that rank right up there with the greats:

Psychedelic Rock:

Soul Of The Phoenix :mushroom2:
Hotel Wrecking City Traders
Black Moth Super Rainbow
Colour Haze :mushroom2:
Crooked Hook
Causa Sui
Bardo Pond
Panda Bear
Cloudland Canyon
Grails
Apse
Om
Weird Owl
TV On The Radio
Angels of Light
The Black Angels
Vampire Hands

Drone / Loop:

Growing :mushroom2:
Terrestrial Tones
White Rainbow :mushroom2:
Barn Owl
White Lodge
The Skull Defekts
Pocahaunted

Space Folk:

Zak Riles
Landing
White Magic
Eden Express
Sir Richard Bishop
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Phosphorescent :mushroom2:
Jim O'Rourke
Crippled Black Pheonix
The Nature Of Light
Fire On Fire
Spiures That In The Sunset Rise
Talk Demonic
Jack Rose
Wolves & Wishes
Windy & Carl
Califone
Coleen
Lichens

Avant / Experimental:

Hella
Todd
Ruins
Damsel
Zach Hill
The Books :mushroom2:
Dan Deacon
Flying Lotus
Secret Chiefs 3 :mushroom2:
Estradasphere
Groundtruther
The Book of Knots
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Sunburned Hand of the Man
School of Emotional Engineering
Twi The Humble Feather

Dream Pop:

M83
Eliot Lipp
The Fields
Our Sleepless Forest
School of Seven Bells :mushroom2:
Forest For The Trees

Sludge / Fuzz Metal:

Humanfly :mushroom2:
Bossk
Sleep
Cave
Meniscus
UFOmammut :mushroom2:
Sons of Otis
Indian
Lent0 :mushroom2:
Earth
Conifer
Clouds
Oaks
Caldera
Honcho
ISIS
Pelican
Grails
Moccasin
Melvins
Tides
Windmills By The Ocean
Supercontinent :mushroom2:
Zozobra
35007

World Fusion:

Tropicala
Coconut
El Guincho
Tinariwen :mushroom2:
Sitaar Tah!
Mickey Hart
Planet Drum
Global Drum Project :mushroom2:
Zakir Hussein
Ali Akbar Kahn
Remember Shakti :mushroom2:
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Andre Afram Asmar
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Juana Molina

Psychedelic Hip-Hop:

TZU
Homeboy Sandman
Aesop Rock :mushroom2:
Buck 65
Dert Floyd
Diplo
Burial
Boom-Bip
Subtle :mushroom2:
Doseone
Themselves
Jedi Mind Tricks
Santogold
Tobacco :mushroom2:
Bisc1
El-P

Post Rock:

This Will Destroy You
Explosions In The Sky
Alcest
Jesu
And So I Watch You From Afar
Go-Neko!
God Is An Astronaut
Lights Out Asia
This IS Your Captain Speaking
Red Sparrows
Cult Of Luna
GSYBE

Post Jazz:

Amon Tobin :mushroom2:
Elvin Aarset
Basquiet Strings
Cinematic Orchestra
Flat Earth Society
Esbjorn Svensson Trio
The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble :mushroom2:

Who has time to listen to the same albums over and over when there is so much great new music?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #9705915 -

Jesus H. CHRIST. Thanks for the warning. :rofl2:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9706067 -

i love pink floyd + syd barrett
sometimes i wish i was born 40 years earlier just so i could experience all the good psychedelic rock music at it's start
but just because theres much more crap today doesnt mean theres not good bands. you just have to look for what you like and ignore mtv/the radio
also if you love psychedelic like i do, check out the dandy warhols. favorite band :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #9706104 -

Visionary Tools said:
Hiphop's changed to something I don't recognise here anymore. Gone are the days of snap, and.. Goldie looking chain? That's about it for british hiphop.



You sir have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The ukhh scene is thriving:

I sugest that you actually watch these as well, if you like real, intelligent hip hop, then you'll enjoy it :smile:.

Jehst - Independent:



Yungun - What eye see:



Lewis Parker feat Jehst - Communications:



Braintax - Last Date:



I could keep posting good, recent, ukhh tracks all day.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706136 -

Ha, I have a Braintax song on my iTunes, and for the longest fucking time I've wondered where the fuck it came from. Now I know. That happens to me occasionally, I have a lone song, wonder where it's from, then someone mentions them here or somewhere else and it clicks.

I also have a Jehst mixtape, but I knew that was from you.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: jewunit]
    #9706167 -

Was it 'The grip' by Braintax? Cause that's a fucking tune :laugh:.

This one is good too, Chester P - The Wickerman Theory.

Its nice to know people actually listen to what I say occasionally :grin:.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706174 -

Haha yup, it's The Grip.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706218 -

A lot of good music originates from Britain; Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Radiohead, muse, The Beatles, The Who, The rolling stones etc etc.

I can't not include these tracks, even if no-one listens to them, they need to be in this thread:

Taskforce - Cosmic Gypsies:


Taskforce - Butterfly Concerto:


Jehst - High plains anthem:


Jehst - City of industry:


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706381 -

Have any of you guys heard of Dr. Dog? They are a really good band I recently started listening to. :awesome:

The Breeze:


We all Belong:


http://www.myspace.com/drdog


--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by matt (01/30/09 03:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706383 -

Cepheus said:
Was it 'The grip' by Braintax? Cause that's a fucking tune :laugh:.

This one is good too, Chester P - The Wickerman Theory.

Its nice to know people actually listen to what I say occasionally :grin:.



Braintax is the fucking man


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: sam420]
    #9706613 -

Meh, I don't think Syd is overrated, some of the shit on Piper is absolutely astounding.

And Gilmour is the voice of Floyd to me as well. I think Waters has gotten all the credit he deserves, the TRULY underrated member is Rick Wright :smile:

Kind of a shame what happened to the group, I wish they could have stuck throughout their differences and continued to make great music, but I guess it happens to all bands eventually, and I didn't particularly like the direction they were headed anyway.

And regarding the Wall, there's a few songs I LOVE, Brick in the Wall, Goodbye Blue Skies, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, The Trial (LOL). I think the movie was fucking stupid though, could have been MUCH better.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 04:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9706645 -

:rotfl:

Why the hell would you go to MTV of all places if you are looking for music?

Go find some good music blogs on the net and see what actual music fans are listening to these days.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9706683 -

I didn't know people actually watch MTV?


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9706841 -

Modern rock is sucking really bad lately. Im even having trouble finding stuff online/underground that i like. Im fiending for some good music, so what music does everyone suggest? Some of the bands already listed are among my favorite: floyd and tool... 90's rock is among my favorite as well. Along those lines what do you guys have?

Ill throw some out there. Recently i've been obsessed with Big Wreck, Tea Party, and Tragically Hip. If you like 90's rock then you'll probably dig all of them. Tea party and Big Wreck are sadly no more.:sad: Tea party are experimental in their own way, I don't know if I would call it psychedelic though, they sure do know how to play with your emotions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: grebarius]
    #9706856 -

grebarius said:
Modern rock is sucking really bad lately. Im even having trouble finding stuff online/underground that i like. Im fiending for some good music, so what music does everyone suggest? Some of the bands already listed are among my favorite: floyd and tool... 90's rock is among my favorite as well. Along those lines what do you guys have?

Ill throw some out there. Recently i've been obsessed with Big Wreck, Tea Party, and Tragically Hip. If you like 90's rock then you'll probably dig all of them. Tea party and Big Wreck are sadly no more.:sad: Tea party are experimental in their own way, I don't know if I would call it psychedelic though, they sure do know how to play with your emotions.



Only 90's stuff I like is the grungier stuff, but I barely like that :smile:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: pfxtc]
    #9706862 -

They pull off sad in a not dark kind of way, are you into that? Tragically hip is more upbeat

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: grebarius]
    #9706888 -

Tragically Hip's older stuff is goddamn brilliant


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: grebarius]
    #9707175 -

grebarius said:
Im fiending for some good music, so what music does everyone suggest?



This thread will get you off to a good start:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803342#Post7803342


--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Middleman]
    #9710056 -

Middleman said:
allhallows said:
Since I've been layed off I've been staying up late and watching a bit more tv than usual. I've been watching videos on MTV for the first time in about 5 years and holy shit! What happened to music!!?

Seriously, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Grateful Dead have no competition for the latest generation of musical genius's.



You are looking in the wrong place, we are in the middle of a psychedelic music explosion.
It always takes the mass media awhile to catch on to new sounds, I am hearing some interesting STs in new movies.

Anyway here's a list of post 2000 artists that rank right up there with the greats:

Psychedelic Rock:

Soul Of The Phoenix :mushroom2:
Hotel Wrecking City Traders
Black Moth Super Rainbow
Colour Haze :mushroom2:
Crooked Hook
Causa Sui
Bardo Pond
Panda Bear
Cloudland Canyon
Grails
Apse
Om
Weird Owl
TV On The Radio
Angels of Light
The Black Angels
Vampire Hands

Drone / Loop:

Growing :mushroom2:
Terrestrial Tones
White Rainbow :mushroom2:
Barn Owl
White Lodge
The Skull Defekts
Pocahaunted

Space Folk:

Zak Riles
Landing
White Magic
Eden Express
Sir Richard Bishop
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Phosphorescent :mushroom2:
Jim O'Rourke
Crippled Black Pheonix
The Nature Of Light
Fire On Fire
Spiures That In The Sunset Rise
Talk Demonic
Jack Rose
Wolves & Wishes
Windy & Carl
Califone
Coleen
Lichens

Avant / Experimental:

Hella
Todd
Ruins
Damsel
Zach Hill
The Books :mushroom2:
Dan Deacon
Flying Lotus
Secret Chiefs 3 :mushroom2:
Estradasphere
Groundtruther
The Book of Knots
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Sunburned Hand of the Man
School of Emotional Engineering
Twi The Humble Feather

Dream Pop:

M83
Eliot Lipp
The Fields
Our Sleepless Forest
School of Seven Bells :mushroom2:
Forest For The Trees

Sludge / Fuzz Metal:

Humanfly :mushroom2:
Bossk
Sleep
Cave
Meniscus
UFOmammut :mushroom2:
Sons of Otis
Indian
Lent0 :mushroom2:
Earth
Conifer
Clouds
Oaks
Caldera
Honcho
ISIS
Pelican
Grails
Moccasin
Melvins
Tides
Windmills By The Ocean
Supercontinent :mushroom2:
Zozobra
35007

World Fusion:

Tropicala
Coconut
El Guincho
Tinariwen :mushroom2:
Sitaar Tah!
Mickey Hart
Planet Drum
Global Drum Project :mushroom2:
Zakir Hussein
Ali Akbar Kahn
Remember Shakti :mushroom2:
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Andre Afram Asmar
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Juana Molina

Psychedelic Hip-Hop:

TZU
Homeboy Sandman
Aesop Rock :mushroom2:
Buck 65
Dert Floyd
Diplo
Burial
Boom-Bip
Subtle :mushroom2:
Doseone
Themselves
Jedi Mind Tricks
Santogold
Tobacco :mushroom2:
Bisc1
El-P

Post Rock:

This Will Destroy You
Explosions In The Sky
Alcest
Jesu
And So I Watch You From Afar
Go-Neko!
God Is An Astronaut
Lights Out Asia
This IS Your Captain Speaking
Red Sparrows
Cult Of Luna
GSYBE

Post Jazz:

Amon Tobin :mushroom2:
Elvin Aarset
Basquiet Strings
Cinematic Orchestra
Flat Earth Society
Esbjorn Svensson Trio
The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble :mushroom2:

Who has time to listen to the same albums over and over when there is so much great new music?



Could you possibly narrow your list down a bit, to just the best ones or your favorites?  There's only a couple of bands there I know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9712145 -

Cepheus said:
Visionary Tools said:
Hiphop's changed to something I don't recognise here anymore. Gone are the days of snap, and.. Goldie looking chain? That's about it for british hiphop.



You sir have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The ukhh scene is thriving:

I sugest that you actually watch these as well, if you like real, intelligent hip hop, then you'll enjoy it :smile:.

Jehst - Independent:



Yungun - What eye see:



Lewis Parker feat Jehst - Communications:



Braintax - Last Date:



I could keep posting good, recent, ukhh tracks all day.



I just want to stay far away from anything that smells like Tim Westwood's fetid musicial show. If John Peel was still alive, I'd know a bit more about UKHH.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: LoveOverAll]
    #9712166 -

Anyone who watches MTV will grow up to be insecure, fat, and will probably sell crack in a pet store.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Breakfast Crew]
    #9712184 -

Wait you guys didnt know?

Hinder and Nickleback brought the fun back to Rock n Roll, fuck ya!!!



--------------------
So good to see you, I've missed you so much.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: CokedUpHobit64]
    #9713029 -

thats jus messed up lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Konyap]
    #9713057 -



--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT


Edited by Salomon (03/02/14 11:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9713131 -



:yesnod:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I'm truely shocked... Nobody listens to real music?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
wecontrolsweetfreedom 16,804 93 09/06/16 08:59 PM
by Jokeshopbeard
* ~Name some brilliant music~
( 1 2 all )
Adamist 7,757 34 07/02/03 06:37 AM
by Clean
* Dark Star Orchestra
( 1 2 all )
OctopusDr 5,620 39 05/21/03 10:40 AM
by Adom
* Check out my band's first music video.
( 1 2 all )
searching 1,695 23 03/03/18 10:19 AM
by Patlal
* Tragic news - Bob Wallace passed away ThorA 2,175 7 10/23/02 01:27 PM
by Thor
* The Dead was the greatest experience of my entire life! Vulture 1,331 5 08/02/03 11:40 PM
by dpc2424
* What will happen on December 21, 2012?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Brukan 18,124 111 05/22/19 08:07 AM
by Antigov
* Anyone seen Dark Star Orchestra? What did you think?
( 1 2 all )
Phishgrrl 3,069 38 08/04/04 09:21 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
8,468 topic views. 2 members, 30 guests and 83 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.093 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 14 queries.