Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9704053 -

I don't feel Barrett is overrated but I will agree that Roger Waters is seriously underrated. He kind of came off as a douche after the breakup but honestly you can't blame him for it. Like I said before, A Momentary Lapse of Reason was :puke:. Gilmore and Wright are great (and Gilmore's voice, in particular, is the voice of Pink Floyd to me) but they couldn't save that turkey.

Floyd is definitely at its best when its members are working as a team rather than eating each other alive.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Edited by Tchan909 (01/30/09 03:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9704073 -

I heard the members of weezer didn't even consider each other friends.  Thats got to be hard tho the other mates musta kicked and screamed about the wall.

I was supposed to see their best cover band in the world from austrailia not to long ago, ended up doing the same ol' crap instead figures.  The Wall is a must see for anyone tho up there with animatrix, but the wall grabs you for the most part.

Not like that Dark side of Oz.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Konyap]
    #9704082 -

The movie of The Wall was incredible. I rented it thinking I was gonna watch it on shrooms, but I gave it a sober test run, and decided against it. :rofl:

I do like The Wall, and I don't really think the other members necessarily resisted the artistic control Waters took, they just made it seem that way for the sake of the legal battles that came up when Waters tried to shut the band down for good. Rather I think Wright and Gilmore had a period of artistic exhaustion whereas Waters never really ran out of ideas. I feel like this is shown pretty clearly both by AMLOR, which was utter crap, had tons of "contributors," and was probably made for money, but also by the years-later Division Bell which was a wonderful return to form for the band.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9704099 -

good stuff i almost watched a scanner darkley and family guy to keep it in perspective tho i dont think pink floyd would trip you out i think itd be the other way around lol

ill look into it tho my bro was the one who got me the tickets and im reallly a bother bout checking them out with piper at the gates of dawn around

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Konyap]
    #9704123 -

Eh, too much blood, too much freaky Freudian imagery, too many depictions of hopeless insanity. That's all the stuff that fucks my head when I'm tripping. Plus I think that would have been, like, my third trip ever at that time. I might consider watching it on acid or shrooms now, but I definitely don't regret not watching it at that stage. :lol:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9704822 -

Here in ye jolly olde England we don't have MTV, unless you're one of the rich folk with sky or cable, we have something worse called TMF. TMF is to music television what 40 ounce bottles of fermented horse piss are to beers. As well as playing the usual bling n bitches rap, and "I'd cut myself but my mom would cut my allowance" 'rock' music, it also plays chav techno.

If you want an example of chav techno, sit down first.

Oh! It happens to be Swedish, (well, that's still northern). Sweden, land of the vikings, abba, mass sterilisation programs and chav techno. This is the sort of stuff the pond life dances to whilst drinking lambrini or alcopops.

Hiphop's changed to something I don't recognise here anymore. Gone are the days of snap, and.. Goldie looking chain? That's about it for british hiphop. But we have got grime. A lot of grime is shit, instead of bitches and bling it's Asbo's & knives.

Well, here's Grime. I happen to quite like some grime, but I also like happy hardcore. Go figure.


Which is not to be confused with Dilinja's "Grimey"

Which is good old drum and bass, cockney knees up, whelks and eggs.


--------------------

Edited by Visionary Tools (01/30/09 10:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #9705021 -

You can't judge music based off MTV, at least not nowadays. You have to look underground. MTV is just a shitty musical ponzi scheme, everyone is just making money off each other while real talent goes out the window.

The public just wants something shitty to drink to at the club, and thats what they're getting.

People need to do more acid.

:2cents:


--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Green_T]
    #9705231 -

stop the battle of the bands

enjoy the music

'xept mtv

but hey we can't go around like old fucks saying ''naaah our shit was better back then in the days, hip hop is not where it's at''

im a late 60's music fan, i listen to the Doors, Cream, hendrix, jefferson airplane, donovan, you know, that rock n roll scene

i just happen to like that a lot

I also play music in a band and we try to get the rock sound, cause you know, we sound like what we are


if punk's not dead
rock is still out there:peace:


ps im gonna post our recordings soon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Justice_Fish]
    #9705389 -

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder.
You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you
get older.
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south,
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man,
All alone and dying of cancer.

And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone.
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw
around.
So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone,
Dragged down by the stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone,stone.


YES! :psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: allhallows]
    #9705810 -

allhallows said:
Since I've been layed off I've been staying up late and watching a bit more tv than usual. I've been watching videos on MTV for the first time in about 5 years and holy shit! What happened to music!!?

Seriously, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Grateful Dead have no competition for the latest generation of musical genius's.



You are looking in the wrong place, we are in the middle of a psychedelic music explosion.
It always takes the mass media awhile to catch on to new sounds, I am hearing some interesting STs in new movies.

Anyway here's a list of post 2000 artists that rank right up there with the greats:

Psychedelic Rock:

Soul Of The Phoenix :mushroom2:
Hotel Wrecking City Traders
Black Moth Super Rainbow
Colour Haze :mushroom2:
Crooked Hook
Causa Sui
Bardo Pond
Panda Bear
Cloudland Canyon
Grails
Apse
Om
Weird Owl
TV On The Radio
Angels of Light
The Black Angels
Vampire Hands

Drone / Loop:

Growing :mushroom2:
Terrestrial Tones
White Rainbow :mushroom2:
Barn Owl
White Lodge
The Skull Defekts
Pocahaunted

Space Folk:

Zak Riles
Landing
White Magic
Eden Express
Sir Richard Bishop
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Phosphorescent :mushroom2:
Jim O'Rourke
Crippled Black Pheonix
The Nature Of Light
Fire On Fire
Spiures That In The Sunset Rise
Talk Demonic
Jack Rose
Wolves & Wishes
Windy & Carl
Califone
Coleen
Lichens

Avant / Experimental:

Hella
Todd
Ruins
Damsel
Zach Hill
The Books :mushroom2:
Dan Deacon
Flying Lotus
Secret Chiefs 3 :mushroom2:
Estradasphere
Groundtruther
The Book of Knots
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Sunburned Hand of the Man
School of Emotional Engineering
Twi The Humble Feather

Dream Pop:

M83
Eliot Lipp
The Fields
Our Sleepless Forest
School of Seven Bells :mushroom2:
Forest For The Trees

Sludge / Fuzz Metal:

Humanfly :mushroom2:
Bossk
Sleep
Cave
Meniscus
UFOmammut :mushroom2:
Sons of Otis
Indian
Lent0 :mushroom2:
Earth
Conifer
Clouds
Oaks
Caldera
Honcho
ISIS
Pelican
Grails
Moccasin
Melvins
Tides
Windmills By The Ocean
Supercontinent :mushroom2:
Zozobra
35007

World Fusion:

Tropicala
Coconut
El Guincho
Tinariwen :mushroom2:
Sitaar Tah!
Mickey Hart
Planet Drum
Global Drum Project :mushroom2:
Zakir Hussein
Ali Akbar Kahn
Remember Shakti :mushroom2:
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Andre Afram Asmar
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Juana Molina

Psychedelic Hip-Hop:

TZU
Homeboy Sandman
Aesop Rock :mushroom2:
Buck 65
Dert Floyd
Diplo
Burial
Boom-Bip
Subtle :mushroom2:
Doseone
Themselves
Jedi Mind Tricks
Santogold
Tobacco :mushroom2:
Bisc1
El-P

Post Rock:

This Will Destroy You
Explosions In The Sky
Alcest
Jesu
And So I Watch You From Afar
Go-Neko!
God Is An Astronaut
Lights Out Asia
This IS Your Captain Speaking
Red Sparrows
Cult Of Luna
GSYBE

Post Jazz:

Amon Tobin :mushroom2:
Elvin Aarset
Basquiet Strings
Cinematic Orchestra
Flat Earth Society
Esbjorn Svensson Trio
The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble :mushroom2:

Who has time to listen to the same albums over and over when there is so much great new music?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #9705915 -

Jesus H. CHRIST. Thanks for the warning. :rofl2:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9706067 -

i love pink floyd + syd barrett
sometimes i wish i was born 40 years earlier just so i could experience all the good psychedelic rock music at it's start
but just because theres much more crap today doesnt mean theres not good bands. you just have to look for what you like and ignore mtv/the radio
also if you love psychedelic like i do, check out the dandy warhols. favorite band :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #9706104 -

Visionary Tools said:
Hiphop's changed to something I don't recognise here anymore. Gone are the days of snap, and.. Goldie looking chain? That's about it for british hiphop.



You sir have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The ukhh scene is thriving:

I sugest that you actually watch these as well, if you like real, intelligent hip hop, then you'll enjoy it :smile:.

Jehst - Independent:



Yungun - What eye see:



Lewis Parker feat Jehst - Communications:



Braintax - Last Date:



I could keep posting good, recent, ukhh tracks all day.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706136 -

Ha, I have a Braintax song on my iTunes, and for the longest fucking time I've wondered where the fuck it came from. Now I know. That happens to me occasionally, I have a lone song, wonder where it's from, then someone mentions them here or somewhere else and it clicks.

I also have a Jehst mixtape, but I knew that was from you.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: jewunit]
    #9706167 -

Was it 'The grip' by Braintax? Cause that's a fucking tune :laugh:.

This one is good too, Chester P - The Wickerman Theory.

Its nice to know people actually listen to what I say occasionally :grin:.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706174 -

Haha yup, it's The Grip.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706218 -

A lot of good music originates from Britain; Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Radiohead, muse, The Beatles, The Who, The rolling stones etc etc.

I can't not include these tracks, even if no-one listens to them, they need to be in this thread:

Taskforce - Cosmic Gypsies:


Taskforce - Butterfly Concerto:


Jehst - High plains anthem:


Jehst - City of industry:


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706381 -

Have any of you guys heard of Dr. Dog? They are a really good band I recently started listening to. :awesome:

The Breeze:


We all Belong:


http://www.myspace.com/drdog


--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by matt (01/30/09 03:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: Cepheus]
    #9706383 -

Cepheus said:
Was it 'The grip' by Braintax? Cause that's a fucking tune :laugh:.

This one is good too, Chester P - The Wickerman Theory.

Its nice to know people actually listen to what I say occasionally :grin:.



Braintax is the fucking man


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: WTF happened to music?! [Re: sam420]
    #9706613 -

Meh, I don't think Syd is overrated, some of the shit on Piper is absolutely astounding.

And Gilmour is the voice of Floyd to me as well. I think Waters has gotten all the credit he deserves, the TRULY underrated member is Rick Wright :smile:

Kind of a shame what happened to the group, I wish they could have stuck throughout their differences and continued to make great music, but I guess it happens to all bands eventually, and I didn't particularly like the direction they were headed anyway.

And regarding the Wall, there's a few songs I LOVE, Brick in the Wall, Goodbye Blue Skies, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, The Trial (LOL). I think the movie was fucking stupid though, could have been MUCH better.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (01/30/09 04:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I'm truely shocked... Nobody listens to real music?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
wecontrolsweetfreedom 16,801 93 09/06/16 08:59 PM
by Jokeshopbeard
* ~Name some brilliant music~
( 1 2 all )
Adamist 7,757 34 07/02/03 06:37 AM
by Clean
* Dark Star Orchestra
( 1 2 all )
OctopusDr 5,620 39 05/21/03 10:40 AM
by Adom
* Check out my band's first music video.
( 1 2 all )
searching 1,694 23 03/03/18 10:19 AM
by Patlal
* Tragic news - Bob Wallace passed away ThorA 2,174 7 10/23/02 01:27 PM
by Thor
* The Dead was the greatest experience of my entire life! Vulture 1,329 5 08/02/03 11:40 PM
by dpc2424
* What will happen on December 21, 2012?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Brukan 18,124 111 05/22/19 08:07 AM
by Antigov
* Anyone seen Dark Star Orchestra? What did you think?
( 1 2 all )
Phishgrrl 3,069 38 08/04/04 09:21 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
8,468 topic views. 4 members, 27 guests and 98 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.