Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: The nature of self-serving beliefs [Re: ]
    #954856 - 10/12/02 01:08 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I look at most of these things (2012, nibiru, etc) as good ideas; this doesn't mean I believe in them. I think there is a good possibility for some of these ideas to be true, and I keep them in mind only because of my own experiences, which resonate well with such theories...

I like the points you bring up though, as I do admit there  are things that lie closer to beliefs to me, only because of my many personal experiences revolving around these things, such as the existence of "alien" life communicating with the human species... although I do keep in mind that they could be aspects of my own consciousness, or maybe they are not aliens at all but ourselves in the future, etc....
The line between beliefs and ideas can get thin, but I try and keep as much things in the ideas category as I can.  :smile:   

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Re: The nature of self-serving beliefs [Re: postalboy]
    #955152 - 10/12/02 03:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Postalboy, I too share basically your exact beliefs.

I think a scientific and logical approach to reality, life, and the universe is the baseline of truth.

Any religion or creative theory is either complete bullshit, or simply too weak for me to accept.

I think this board brings out alot of possibilities, that albeit fun to think about, are as meaningless as our own lives.

Although I do think there is definitely more truth out there that no science or religion has yet proven or discovered, and I certainly encourage investigating new ideas and possibilities.  But as far as I can see, these truths will not be revealed in my lifetime.

Isn't life depressing? :tongue: 

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: The nature of self-serving beliefs [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #955158 - 10/12/02 03:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

indeed, life is depressing, but we got to try and suck it up and atleast try and learn something in this life time. Become wise and that is good enough. =)

peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them.

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

OfflineCalen
journeyman
    #955437 - 10/12/02 06:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I guess the underlying, concise point I never got to was that a lot of people who think they are open minded just because they have views that aren't mainstream or because whatever, are some of the most closed minded people of all. And it all seems to come back to people not being willing to really entertain the thought of anything that contradicts their beliefs because if their belief was wrong they would perceive things as worse for them. Believing in 2012 or God or karma does not mean you are open minded. Being open minded means you will fully entertain any idea and try to evaluate it.

I've jostled with the supoosed 'wise' and 'enlightened' over the net. The exchanges were short. The truth behind all their words was very revealing. And what you say about those "people" are just like the ones I met. People, who I gave the benefit of the doubt, who eventually turned out no better than they claimed to be.

In retrospect, those people I met was a former reflection of me.

Mr Mushrooms, hehe, I'm 21 and am really surprised how mature you think I am. Trust me, I make up for it in other areas, like last week I got reprimanded for telling Swami to stick a spatula up his ass. And the dirty sanchez thing. But yeah, I'll try to behave myself haha.

I see you have a flaming tongue. like mine.

Edited by Calen (10/12/02 06:34 PM)

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #955463 - 10/12/02 06:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Why do I believe in what I believe? After several months of deep thought concerning the life of this world I came to several conclusions:

1) From observing the world around me, I concluded that the universe didn't just 'happen' - I decided God did in fact exist.

2) From observing the world around me, I concluded that it was illogical for a Creator to allow humans to exist without any direct guidance.

3) The fact that you can either disbelieve or believe always bewildered me.

4) People can literally repent to God

We all have logic and reason, it depends how you use it.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: The nature of self-serving beliefs [Re: Evolving]
    #955472 - 10/12/02 06:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I thought there were a lot of good points made in this thread but I really resonated with yours on the sub-topic of Christianity:

Most Christians I've encountered are more enamoured with dogma, faith and worship than trying to live in a Christ like manner. They talk a good game, they believe the stories and they go to church (religiously) but they do not examine the full consequences of their behavior and attiitudes beyond what is immediately in front of them. Their Christianity is in the very least, myopic but I'm more inclined to label it hypocritical.

I totally agree. But then again I see the same thing with most people, sheep of different color.

Cheers,

Offlinemaranite
Maranite
Loc: San Diego
    #955749 - 10/12/02 10:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Brilliant posting with some good responses so far!

I've spent some time studying beliefs - and would offer the this:

Beliefs are to our minds what software is to a computer.
That is - beliefs are what our minds use to interpret and organize that "data" that comes in through our senses. In essence, basic beliefs are "reality filters" without which we cannot function in the world. This helps explain why some people who have incorporated the indoctrinations of an organized religion will get defensive and even aggresive when their beliefs are challenged... because the subsoncious mind "knows" that a belief system to function correctly; It doesn't care whether the belief system is valid because belief systems are conditioned into us, so as long as the mind can function with the belief system it has, it will cling to it defiantly.

Spritual beliefs are the "higher" blocks in our belief systems - they both depend on AND reinforce other, more basic beliefs about the world around us. But rest assured, everyone has spiritual beliefs - by saying "I'm an atheist", you're really revealing that the belief system you have in-place states "I BELEIVE that there is no God". It's still a belief - which is why atheists and christians (or pick you favourite sect) will argue endlessly, with atheists insisting that it's not their beliefs that are at fault 'cause they don't have any. Wrong! You can't argue (or even make a statement) without a belief to back it up. We all have 'em folks... Just some of us are more "open minded" about replacing our higher beliefs instead of clinging to what we've been told by the church.

I'm reading a book called "How to break out of prison" that describes how these belief systems are instilled into us from childhood, and how to idnetify beliefs that may be holding you back and interfering with your life. A book well worth picking up!

"He who seeks to be learned in the ways or truth and knowledge is ship-wrecked by the laughter of the Gods."

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: The nature of self-serving beliefs [Re: maranite]
    #955764 - 10/12/02 10:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

agreed. So we are basically computers =) i think my software has a virus.

peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
Re: The nature of self-serving beliefs [Re: GrowingVines]
    #956095 - 10/13/02 02:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I believe that EVERYONE is supposed to be confused about god, that sets the premise to find god. We enthogen users are TRUE CHRISTIANS, we don't listen to the bull shit, that a cofused society puts in our heads. For the bible says in the end, CHRIST WILL BE FOUND IN YOU(all in the bible i read this ALOT). We enthogen users are searching for god in self. Its why in the future we will be ENEMYS OF THE STATE (shit more like the world).

I believe that the subject of god is SUPPOSED to be confusing, and for all people to be cofused. But out of the confusing chaos, in the end, will all sit back and tear for god was with us through the darkest of the ages the whole time, and always will be!

Is anyone feelin me? Or at the age of 20 did i crack my noodle?

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology