Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! * 1
    #6183959 - 10/18/06 08:04 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Post your Stunzi, Cyans, Azures, Friscosa's, and all those other exotic species here.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: tahoe]
    #6185635 - 10/19/06 09:36 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Meh, needs a bump - Let's sticky this before we lose it. Mods?

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: CureCat]
    #6185653 - 10/19/06 09:41 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

thirded, though i predict 3 weeks or more before we have much to post :frown:

anybody know how much fog drip the bay has been having lately? it was nice when i was last there but not sufficient to do much to keep the moisture too long into the day.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: CureCat]
    #6185666 - 10/19/06 09:46 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Let's sticky it when it gets some content. I don't see a reason for a thread with no content to be stuck at the top of the page.

We also might just change the PNW sticky to a "west coast" so that the bay area could be included there. We don't have separate cube threads for Florida and Texas stickied.

Too many stickies pushes other threads off the front page.

What do ye other mods thinks?

OfflinePurple_spore
Compulsively Skeptical OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: nor cal Flag
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: shroomydan]
    #6186033 - 10/19/06 11:31 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I vote for separate if it's still up for debate. lots more rain up north and in turn a different pattern of growth and different variety of the species. my 2cents

--------------------
Safety first children :thumbup:

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: Purple_spore]
    #6186821 - 10/19/06 02:59 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I agree, let's have it all in one thread. I still consider norcal PNWish when it comes to mushroom habitat.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisibleNezzy
The Nez
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: Psilygirl]
    #6186956 - 10/19/06 03:25 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Aye Tahoe good 2 see u... may bump into you again this year

--------------------
In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test.
You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at.
Shiqin

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: Nezzy]
    #6186977 - 10/19/06 03:32 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

we need to start a central valley mushroom migration club :grin:

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleNezzy
The Nez
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: canid]
    #6188974 - 10/20/06 12:16 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

ha, where are you at? I just migrated from Turlock to Modesto. The valley is gross.

Edited by Nezzy (10/20/06 12:20 AM)

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: Nezzy]
    #6192121 - 10/20/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

we do need our own thread. When one thinks of the pnw california doesnt come into mind. for most the pnw consist of wa and or and some times bc.Sf is if 4-5 hours SOUTH of oregon and hunting here is good and, except for lest year, barely even gets represented here. I have been here since the get go and seeing all the activity in the bay area last year puts us on the map. I dont want to sort through the pnw forum and read every post only to find out that every 20th post is from the bay. i would be stoked to see our own forum. Although i would like to keep it a secret also :wink: its okay, they are as far inland as sacramento, that place hold 100+ temps for 15+ days every summer and pslocybes grow here. they will grow anywhere

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: tahoe]
    #6192412 - 10/20/06 08:11 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
we do need our own thread. When one thinks of the pnw california doesnt come into mind. for most the pnw consist of wa and or and some times bc.Sf is if 4-5 hours SOUTH of oregon and hunting here is good and, except for lest year, barely even gets represented here. I have been here since the get go and seeing all the activity in the bay area last year puts us on the map. I dont want to sort through the pnw forum and read every post only to find out that every 20th post is from the bay. i would be stoked to see our own forum. Although i would like to keep it a secret also :wink: its okay, they are as far inland as sacramento, that place hold 100+ temps for 15+ days every summer and pslocybes grow here. they will grow anywhere

I somewhat agree..San Francisco is considered the extreme southern end of the PNW...Basically it's the redwoods along the coast that go down to Big Sur. But most people don't consider the Pacific Northwest to start any further south than Eureka, California. That's where the liberty caps start. Liberty caps are a true PNW shroom while cyanescens extends further south. That's because liberties really grow in temperate rainforest type areas with cow fields, usually twice as much rain as occurs in SF. I used to live in Crescent City, CA many years ago, and it poured buckets in the winter..Forget about an umbrella, it won't do no good, but that's up by the oregon Border.

on a side note, another seperation between here and the PNW is The State of Jefferson, see >  http://www.jeffersonstate.com/

Local National Public Radio around the border is called "jefferson public radio" out of Grants Pass area, and that is much more PNW than it is down here in the Bay Area

Still, I can see where the OPs would want to include it in the PNW, because A) from around the world the BAY Area is the west coast, although a bit south, and B) it makes it easier for them and everybody else around the world to group that together (ironically, the Shroomery is based in Santa Cruz, which is the southernest south of the south Bay Area PNW..hehe)

making a seperate Bay Area thread might not be enough at this point. Cyans are relatively rare compared to the PNW, and last year, all those photos posted, despite making it look easy, that was still rare. I know better, I've picked all up and down the coast, and mushrooms of any species are not as common down here as they are in the PNW. But then again, the season is much shorter too, and it despite the great finds this year so far, it won't be long before it freezes up in Washington, like maybe next month...Epic rains, shorter season, because it gets colder...It rarely freezes down here so the season lasts much longer..It's more spread out, time wise, so it's more work. You're not going to find cyans in washington past february, but you will in the Bay Area.

In my opinion, it's a tough choice for any of the OPs to make a seperate thread.The Bay Area is far enough south to be considered halfway to mexico from the PNW, yet still have some of the epic rains.

It's the in between point from the PNW to Mexico..And it's a gradual progression of weather and climate all the way down..what can i say

It's not quite like the PNW where there's alot more people posting and hunting. But then again, I know as a PHP admin on my own site I can easily make 20 items on the front page instead of 10. Users just need to scroll down a little more, that's all..

the other thing against making a permanent sticky thread for the Bay Area..people post new threads all the time for the important stuff anyway. A major find perhaps, so space for that should always be there.

Still, it would be nice for us to have a sticky thread...But I don't think the Bay Area is ready for that yet. Why?....because although I am new to this board since last year, I've been picking for 25 years, and I already knew long before I got here how rare it is in the Bay Area. Or rather, it's that most peope remotely interested find it too difficult to find them, unlike the PNW, where you can usually go down the street and pick a few. It takes a hell of alot more work to find places in the Bay Area than it does in the PNW. You're not going to find them in one day here, or even one week, unless you get lucky..No,  down here it takes years to get the good spots...That's why it's more rare

Also,Tahoe and all, as far as them growing out into the central valley and Sacramento, this is true, I absolutley believe it, even tho I never made it that far east yet. This is because I've seen cyan mycelium survive in the comatose state during extreme tempuratures of 120 degrees plus during the summer, which rarely happens in the PNW, if ever

These extreme temps can happen after the first hill east of Oakland, all the way up to Redding and east into the Sierra Nevada Mountains

As far as I know, this is a recent development in the last few years. I have never heard of cyans growing east of the Bay Area before a few years ago. This is most likely an 'adaptation' rather than a 'mutation' and this includes these 'Friscos"

'mutation' is too strong a word for this. 'adaptation' is much better

as described on NPR science Friday today, with audio  >  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6353991

DNA and evolution rarely involves mutations, but the fact is, every generation includes some DNA seperate and distinct from the parent. This holds true for every living thing, including shrooms.

These mutations of cyans > friscos and into outlying areas of the extreme tempurature and habitat of the Central Valley is more likely an adapatation of the cyanescens complex...

they want to survive, they have the basic willpower and the drive to do it, so there ya go

*auweia*

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: auweia]
    #6192474 - 10/20/06 08:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, I should mention this for the OPs and all....In terms of history about the habitat of the greater San Francisco Bay Area.....The Bay Area is near the coast/ocean/beach, so it usually stays a relatively higher humidity all year long.

But as soon as you go over the first few hills past Berkeley/Oakland, and east into the central valley > the original valley 100 years ago was pure desert....I mean desert like the Sonora desert in Arizona. Dry as hell, and even hotter than Death Valley sometimes...The ONLY reason why it's a farm belt, is because people built huge water canals to irrigate it.

San Francisco and the Bay Area is, literally, something of a temperate bubble on the coast, not affected by that, because of the rare consistent fog coming off the Pacific Ocean with 90% humidity as opposed to 10 % humidity just 30 miles east

for example, right now, Oct 20, we have extreme fire danger all around the greater Bay Area in the outlying areas > http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_264212857.html

this is our summer right now, and it's normal...It's been like that since I was a kid

Another example, so you can see it....two days ago I bicycled up to the top of MT Diablo, (look it up, Mount Diablo)

here's a photo from the top, seeing most of the north bay Area, right now >

Does that look like the PNW to you? any evergreen trees there?

Yeah, there's a few

btw, Mt Diablo (state park) is 3,800 feet....They say you can see more land area from anywhere on earth, except for Kilimanjaro, Tanzania >

http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/img_kilimanjaro.html

hell of a bicycle climb up that hill, let me tell ya :P

*auweia*

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: auweia]
    #6192772 - 10/20/06 10:25 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

[From Mt. Diablo]

They green spots are where the mushrooms grow.  :smirk:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: shroomydan]
    #6192782 - 10/20/06 10:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

those woods are dry as hell this time of year.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: canid]
    #6192929 - 10/20/06 11:14 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Some of the green spots are where the mushrooms grow.  :wink:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #6193473 - 10/21/06 02:51 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm going to be staying in Mill Valley for about a month, it is just North of SF.

tentative dates from Nov 20- Dec 20.

--------------------

Edited by CureCat (10/21/06 02:52 AM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #6194061 - 10/21/06 11:18 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

just to get this thread started.
this is a small crumpled handful from santa cruz.
i left many hundreds of caps still standing.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6194177 - 10/21/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

from this season? verry glad if so; how's the fog been?

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #6194210 - 10/21/06 12:44 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yes, from the 17th of october actualy.

fog is heavy, but they were up before that.

im no longer near santa cruz though, it was a short visit.

ill see how northern california does this season...

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Official Fall 2006 Winter 2007 San Francisco, Bay Area Thread. Post your finds here! [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6234273 - 11/01/06 09:01 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

here it comes

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract