Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Chariots of the Gods...
    #536902 - 01/31/02 02:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone else read it?

My friend gave it to me for Christmas and she said that the same guy wrote another book, but I don't remember what it was called...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: Anonymous]
    #537145 - 01/31/02 08:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Damn... I guess he wrote a few of them.

http://www.ntskeptics.org/books/daniken.htm

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
    #537272 - 01/31/02 11:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ah yes, Erich von D?niken. My father insists he is dead, I don't know why...

Iv'e read two books by hime, I think. Erinnerungen an der vergangenheit (memories of the past) and some other. That's like 6-7 years ago though, so I don't remember much. But I'd definately say that his theories are possible. Although some of his proofs/claims aren't very valid, as I recall. It's kind of the same thing with McKenna. There's definately something to it, but they seem a bit too eager to prove it, and loose some of their self-criticism/objectivity in the process.

That doesn't stop me from full-heartedly believe in those brilliant guys though! :laugh:

Addition: I think the aliens are our future selves. I always got confused by that statement, noone who used it seemed to explain, I have now come to a conclusion: Time is cyclical. In the future, some of us humans will go out in space, some of us will stay on earth. Those left on earth will eventually either leave by other means, or die off. Either way, our ape/monkey brothers will evolve. Our spacefaring brethren will come back, and find these primates on the verge of "civilization" or "culture". Thus they will take pity on them, and teach them stuff.
The circle is complete, it was ourselves making ourselves into what we are all along! Makes no sense, does it? :smile:

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

Edited by Timeleech (01/31/02 11:21 PM)

Offlinewildflower1975
Stranger
Loc: Farnborough England
    #538835 - 02/02/02 09:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking of Chariots of the Gods by Graham Hancock
he suggests that the priamads and Sphnix were made by ciiviliastions at least 5000 yrears b4 anyone had previously thought ( and the Aztecs/Mayans, I believe him by the way)
then theres Douglas Adams ( Hitch hikersGuide to the Galaxy) who maintains earths inhabitants are aliens who wiped out the primitive native life ( which looked somthing likeLucy the 'Austropitlhilucus' (sp) ) species b4 the homo sapiens

--------------------
real life is hard after you have seen Nirvana

I am All I know

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: Timeleech]
    #538928 - 02/03/02 12:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

>Either way, our ape/monkey brothers will evolve. Our spacefaring brethren will come back, and find these primates on the verge of "civilization" or "culture". Thus they will take pity on them, and teach them stuff.
The circle is complete, it was ourselves making ourselves into what we are all along! Makes no sense, does it? 

I don't know if this is actually the case (I'd guess not) but that is very cool to roll over ones brain. I can't help but think everything we think of forges new and profound connections (neural networks or whatever it is). Maybe it's all nonsense, maybe we're going crazy, but it's interesting. :laugh:

On a related matter (though not really related to this thread I'm afraid) I've almost finished Reaper Man. (Discworld...) :smile: 

--------------------

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: Ulysees]
    #539109 - 02/03/02 09:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yea, probably not, but it's something Iv'e been entertaining lately. I like it because of it's circularity, and the fact that it would be rather ironic if we were our own gods... I think reality is far stranger than any of us can imagine anyway. And most certainly most of our mundane lives is ppretty much nonsense in a way, and I don't know one person who is not at least somewhat crazy. But that's just my excuse for being the way I am :laugh:

Discworld is great. I'm a big fan of Pratchett. I want to write a science fiction book about  that "theory", that would be cool. Split humanity in three: some stay, some go away. half of those who go away come back as aliens, the others turn into angels/spirits, those who stay get to play in the eleusian fields. and at the end we all unite again and the circle closes and repeats once again.

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: Timeleech]
    #539220 - 02/03/02 01:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Timeleech, are you the person who kept blowing my mind with your theories? I'm going to have to do some digging...
This is great stuff though, I hope you do write the book. I went through a long dryspell. I was trying to salvage one of my novels but the path I struck out on is now quite boring to me. (That's the problem. I don't suffer from repetition, but I'd like to be able to stay on one basic train of thought until a project is complete.)

Anyhow, you and Pratchett have given me new inspiration. Thanks. :smile:
Don't worry, I won't steal your plots, I've got too many of my own flowing to keep up with right now. Once again, the problem is I won't be satisfied following just one and I'll probably end up with too much on the table and things will get left behind... painful stuff. All the more painful when you go from that to a drought. Nothing but time, but nothing to write... why do you mock me? :laugh: 

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#539222 - 02/03/02 01:41 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Did you like the book Smack? I read one of the descriptions from the link you gave and it sounds pretty interesting. I think it was Eyes of the Sphinx.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: Ulysees]
    #539401 - 02/03/02 05:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, it was a great book. i had never even considered anything like what the book suggests, so while i was reading it i was like "duh... this just makes too much sense." not that i really believe it or not, but it's a really good theory.

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#539439 - 02/03/02 06:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds good, I think I'll check it out.

>not that i really believe it or not, but it's a really good theory.

Ya, I'm the same way.

--------------------

OfflinePhilosoPossum

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: wildflower1975]
    #539885 - 02/04/02 03:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Wildflower1975 mentioned the book by Graham Hancock... the title is actually Fingerprints of the Gods.

I'd also recommend Keeper of Genesis and Heaven's Mirror. Graham is cool. :smile: Actually to tell the truth, I found him a bit unapproachable (in a superior English sort of way... ), but he gave an interesting lecture. I met him a couple years ago, along with John Anthony West, Robert Bauval & even Zahwi Hawass (the curator of the Giza plateau) at a conference in Virginia.

Cool stuff.

Hancock's world view was my "thing" about three years ago... that is until I starting reading too much philosophy and realized the world is even stranger than Hancock could possibly suppose, heralding my slow descent into madness.  :wink:

Anyway, it's a neat piece of the puzzle.

Anonymous

#540513 - 02/04/02 07:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think Daniken was on the right track by applying the legends and such to actual physical evidence. I have only read Chariots and Return of the Gods...

If you haven't already, check out Nothing in this Book is True but its exactly the way things are by Bob Frissel..the title pretty much speaks for itself

Offlinechamp
pudding pop
 User Gallery

Loc: unknown trashscape
    #542216 - 02/06/02 08:31 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I read it and felt quite convinced. I also saw a TV show featuring Daniken and his theories that convinced me further. However, I am a very gullible person.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: champ]
    #543562 - 02/07/02 12:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think Carl Sagan said Daniken was full of shit.

For what it's worth most scientific guys think Hancock and Daniken are talking horseshit. Doesn't stop them making vast amounts of money tho - people like reading that "aliens built pyramids" shit.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhilosoPossum

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Chariots of the Gods... [Re: Xlea321]
    #544966 - 02/08/02 04:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

In defence of Hancock, he and Daniken are *very* different... Hancock and crew are not about proving aliens built the pyramids. That was Von Daniken's fantasy. Hancock and his pals spend their time proving that about 10,000 years ago there existed a fairly advanced civilization that myth refers to as "Atlantis". But this was a human civilization... no "aliens" involved at all. The Great Flood of Biblical myth is what destroyed this ancient civ.

Some of those ideas are actually quite plausible with some pretty good proof to back them up... But Hancock sometimes takes it *too* far (to sell more books, maybe?), and that's where he loses me... but it's still cool stuff that is worthy of consideration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology