Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemm.
addict
 User Gallery

Loc: England
McKenna on alien spirituality
    #458525 - 11/14/01 07:25 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

We now know enough to fantasize realistically about what an alien might be like, and this sets up polarities in the collective psyche that previously we have seen only at the level of the individual. What the developing archetype of the extratarestrial "Other" means, and the source of our fascination with it, is that, collectively, for the first time we are beginning to yearn. This new collective yearning is happening in religion on a very broad scale. The previous concerns of salvation and redemption are shifting into the background for the great majority of people, and what is driving religous feeling is a need for contact - a relationship to the Other. The alien then falls into place in that role; the alien fullfills it. I believe that if religion survives into the long centuries of the future, this will be it's complling concern - an attempt to define a collcetive relationship to the Other that assuages our yearning and feeling of being cast out or, as Heidegger says, "cast into matter, alone in the Universe."
- Terrance McKenna 1986ish

--------------------
MAPS.org: supporting psychedelic and medical marijuana research since 1986

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemr crisper

Re: McKenna on alien spirituality [Re: mm.]
    #458719 - 11/14/01 10:39 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i hope religion will go the way of the dinosaurs, if people realise that they dont need to communicate with the other through a middleman(priest, rabbi, evangelist).
i really dislike the term -alien, ive lived in china where i was referred to as -lao wai- crazy outsider. now im in japan where i get called -gaijin- outside person or alien.
these terms are not necessarily derogatory or spiteful, but they do enforce the idea of separation, which is just an illusion.
humans are still coming to terms with the idea that we are all one, living together on the same little planet.
applying the hermetic axiom - as above so below....so below as above.
doesnt the same picture apply for the entire universe and all living beings whether they are in the physical realm or not?
and as for us humans, surely this era of gettingaround in monkey suits is a mere fart on a cosmic scale. if we truly be immortal souls, its not something we earn by kissing ass, its something that s inherent within us, it cannot be given nor taken away. so yes our time on earth is limited, but our life is not, theres plenty more to come.
i kinda like t.mckenna`s thought that the earth is a womb and we are the fetus about to slide down the birth canal, a 1 way trip to fuknosewot.

OfflineGrimace
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: McKenna on alien spirituality [Re: mr crisper]
    #458877 - 11/15/01 12:36 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not up for commenting on the other, but I will say this; our own language is our limitation. Offensive, not offensive, it doesn't matter. We all know what we are trying to say within ourselves, yet we can't expect others to understand it completely. It takes a deep understanding of oneself in order to realise this. This, gained through patience none the less, is governed by a relentless self-holding, upon death, maybe one become absolutely whole. Anyway, nice topic, and nothing is better for the brain than stimulation!

Grimace

--------------------
"Is there anyway of knowing........which direction we are going?!! Yes!"
Mr. Wonka

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom