Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
Lacking spiritual direction
    #4305375 - 06/16/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone, I'm in trouble. It seems that I am heading nowhere in terms of my spirituality at this moment in time. Here is a little bit of my background first.

I am 22, single, living with a roommate. I have been interested in entheogens and altered states for the past 3 or 4 years. I have had a few experiences with mushrooms, S. divinorum, cannabis and other various psychoactives. I want to be able to use these experiences for spiritual/religious purposes but don't seem to have a framework to incorporate them.

I'm not sure if I believe in God in the Christian sense, I am leaning more towards the side that everything is energy, and everything is one and that we are god. I want to believe it but I have had no experience with it. How does one incorporate a religion/spirituality into their lives when they haven't had such until now.

I'm not really sure what Religion to choose, if that is the right word for it. They all have things that I can agree with and things that I disagree with.

Basically I want to know and feel that I am furthering my spiritual path and going somewhere with this all.

What are everyones thoughts, how do you incorporate the psychedelic experience into your religion. Or maybe you don't have a religion, how do you incorporate what you have learned into everyday life. Instead of a religion do some of you have rituals that you perform to further your path. Thanks in advance :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: Kerr]
    #4305418 - 06/16/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I dreamt.. :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4305423 - 06/16/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Just live your life, don't try to escape into some hyperdimension or something. Spirituality is right there in front of you, in your everyday life. It's not in levitation and yoda talk. Go fishing

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#4305477 - 06/16/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

First, I think it's very positive that you are doing some searching for a deeper understanding about life.

I think one of the major roadblocks you may be experiencing is that you are specifically looking for exact answers and what to believe. Try letting go of that desire and just letting your outlook form. You'll probably find that when you're trying to believe something, you really don't believe in it on an emotional level.

I think it's also good to point out the role entheogens can have in spiritual development and exploration. Many times the perception is that drugs reveal knowledge and lead to "enlightenment". This can end up happening as a result of entheogens, but it is not the entheogens which are "showing" you these revelations, but rather they inspire YOU to make the revelations.

I try to look at religion from a certain perspective. As human civilizations developed, there were people who explored mysticism and new modes of what we call spiritual thought. Religion is a result of human being?s attempt to understand itself, not so much that there is a ?true? religion which the right one. Again, it should be the same thing as with entheogens, it?s not the religion which is showing you these revelations, but it is YOU who is taking in what others have to say and understanding it for yourself.

Also learn to appreciate the search for spiritual development and don?t worry about reaching ?enlightenment? or other religious clich?s. I have found that when I have had mystical experiences, I?ve started to realize that such romanticized ?mystical? ideas are trying to communicate the experience to those who haven?t had them, but ultimately they are no more mystical or spiritual as doing mundane things, even taking a shit. Think of it this way, if spirituality is about having an appreciation for life & existence, that encompasses all of your experiences, even the ones which do not seem to have any significance.

That?s not to say that those ?mystical? experiences aren?t special, as they can certainly be so awe inspiring as to truly change your outlook on life. Rather, just try and appreciate the experiences for the experiences themselves rather than trying to frame it within a religious or spiritual mind frame. Just appreciate the fact that it?s possible for such experiences to be possible.

I hope that was helpful, and let me know how things develop for you. Don?t be afraid to ask questions and consider new ideas. That?s just my advice though.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: Twirling]
    #4305551 - 06/16/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for all the great advice everyone :smile:

I have another question now. So when I go into a trip what type of mindset should I have. I understand that a happy, healthy, carefree mindset is proper, but what I mean is in relation to having some type of intent.

I know that I should just go with the flow, but I'm thinking that shamans must have ultimately had some type of goal to reach. Whether it be for healing, predicting the future, communion with gods or what have you.

What should my intent then be, should I then meditate to some drumming, holding in my meditation the search for something higher, something more? Is that the first step?

I realize that I should just relax and it all with eventually happen, but the problem is I want it to happen now. By it I mean some sign to point me in the right direction, a speck of truth to leak out and give me food for the hunt. The hunt for knowledge, I am frustrated, I want to learn something new everyday, not just things on the outside, but things on my inside. I want to feel my progression and know that I am getting somewhere, grrrrr!.

Thanks for listening everyone :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #4305591 - 06/16/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"I'm not really sure what Religion to choose, if that is the right word for it. They all have things that I can agree with and things that I disagree with"

listen to all of them, and at the same don't choose any of them. 

"I want to be able to use these experiences for spiritual/religious purposes but don't seem to have a framework to incorporate them."

i think you do! I'm no more better equipped than you are, all you have to do is just be aware of your reactions.  have your ideas and thoughts about how you view reality and your world changed over time?  if you stop to notice how your thoughts have evolved, then you'll answer your own question.  the fact that you want to further evolve is also a good indicator. :smile:

"how do you incorporate the psychedelic experience into your religion. Or maybe you don't have a religion, how do you incorporate what you have learned into everyday life. Instead of a religion do some of you have rituals that you perform to further your path."

it depends on your surrounding for one.  Last weekend I did acid for the first time (300 microgram tab!!!) and it was at a forest (bush) party in which some really good psytrance Dj's were playing. It was still a spritual experience because I learned to let go of my own self judgement and other thoughts and just move and dance as my body wanted.  I then came out of the party feeling really good (and a clear head! :smile: ). You keep that experience with you and can grow from it.

The thing is that I can tell you of my experiences, but thats not really enough.  I may just realize something one day that you may have known for quite a long time, and vice-versa.  As long as you keep seeking and learning, your path will evolve in its own way.

pretty cool eh?  :sun: :heart: :sun:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4305612 - 06/16/05 08:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

RyanKerr:
OldWoodSpecter just laid out some excellant advice...follow it. As for your second question. Entheogens can be pointers to A path which is multifold, but they are not THE path...some of the scenery maybe...but definitely not the path. Look to your core values, morals, and beliefs for that info. If you want to have a good trip just go into a safe and pleasant setting...listen to music...enjoy the company of a friend or the forest....but your your spiritual path itself does not lie there.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4305803 - 06/16/05 10:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

just because you think you are not heading where you want to in your spiritual terms doesn't mean that you aren't living it right now, there are no right or wrongs paths, the only path is the one that you are living.
every choice, decision, action is apart of your life's path if you don't like it choose better choice, decisions and actions that is going to help you "grow spiritually" and where you would like to go in life.
there is no real need to be egar you are learning and living what you are meant to be at this point in time, just sit back and let life unfold.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Edited by spudamore (06/16/05 11:04 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: spudamore]
    #4306022 - 06/16/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

lots of good talk.
I'm impressed!
really.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4306896 - 06/17/05 08:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hi Ryan, The use of entheogens, has had a profound effect on my spiritual development. Although it is only one of many paths. I used them for many many years with limited effect. That is not to say they weren't valuable on a spiritual level. It helped alot in certain ways. But it was not until I used them more consciously and in a Shamanic framework (whatever that means to you) that they had a very transformational effect. Terrance McKenna explores the idea of the Committed Dose or Heroic Dose in some of his work. The first time I did this I experienced some major changes in my ability to effect change in my personal life. I was fortunate enough to meet someone who had been fully down that path and could act as a guide and support for me. But this all is just my experience and may be meaningless for you. But as you expressed an interest I wanted to share this.

Over time my ideas of life have evolved. I no longer believe in God per se. I do believe in unlimited energy and my own conclusions from my experience are that the free uninhibited flow of that energy manifests itself as pure Love. Other manifestations of that same energy when blocked or stagnant, could be what some call the dark side of nature. Just simple speculations from some one who doesn't know anything for sure.

But that's just it. You can trust your own exploration, because you have just as much chance to find something true as anyone else. In fact one of the great steps in spiritual evolution that I have found is the day you decide to work out your own salvation, trust in yourself first and foremost. Use what ever others offer and take only what you need and feel free to construct you own beliefs, knowing it's a crap shoot.

I think you will do well whatever you choose. Whatever happens, it will be exactly what you need at the moment for your growth. Weather you see that or not. :heart: :thumbup: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: Icelander]
    #4306965 - 06/17/05 09:07 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

From the bottom of my heart thank you all for your genuine responses and great advice. I just need to relax and sit back and watch it unfold. Thanks for steering me back onto the road :smile:

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4307030 - 06/17/05 09:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Why don't you choose not too follow one religion and instead take the parts of many religions that feel right to you.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: barfightlard]
    #4307129 - 06/17/05 10:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bellylard said:
Why don't you choose not too follow one religion and instead take the parts of many religions that feel right to you.

I have thought about this before, I have had interests in Zoroastrian, Sufism, Shamanism, Wicca and Pagan followings. I have read Tao and Buddhist literature as well some on the Rastafarian faith. So I guess that maybe I should just make up my own religion lets call it Ryanism. What do you all think? :smile:

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4307146 - 06/17/05 10:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds perfect!

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4307334 - 06/17/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It is a mistake, in my opinion, to go shopping for a religion or a belief system. Religions are cohesive entities of beliefs and rituals that serve to encapsulate and protect a precious inner Truth. Truth is a word that I equate with the word Reality [Truth=Reality] - what is True is what is Real (Ultimately Real).

The spiritual quest piggy-backs off the human developmental stage of adolescence. The single question that characterizes adolescence according to developmentalists like Erik Erikson is "Who am I?" Also, this very same question is called 'Nan Yaar'in Hindu Advaita philosophy -  Advaita [Non-Dualism] IS descriptive of your own statement about identity with GOD, so it is not just an arbitrary topic that I'm putting out there. I'm also not suggesting that you follow the path of Jnana Yoga (Yoga of Knowledge) which is what Advaita teaches (most profoundly through the person of Sri Ramana Maharishi  http://www.angelfire.com/realm/bodhisattva/ramana.html). What I AM suggesting is that the first step in realizing who one is spiritually is to begin with an honest amount of 'self-inquiry [Vichara Atma].

Ask yourself who you are. How were you raised? What are your family's ethics? What religious myths are already present and accounted for in your unconscious since childhood? These are, whether you like them or not, the seeds and roots of a genuine spirituality. Hey, I knew kids who joined the 3HO Kundalini Yogis, wore turbins and called themselves Maharishi so-and-so. Didn't work. I know a guy in Miami who has tatooed Tibetan Buddhist words on his body, has obtained and wears the robes of a Lama, and who is both delusional and fraudulent. It is very possible to absorb aspects of Truth from other faiths (I certainly have), but the bottom line is always grounded in the Truth, the Reality of 'Who am I?' It is foundational.

If one attempts to define a belief system on what appeals to you  intellectually, without there being any basis or foundation in your physical-socio-cultural self, then one is 'building castles in the air.' As we used to say as psychotherapists, the difference between Neurotics and Psychotics (mildly vs. profoundly disturbed people) is: Neurotics build castles in the air, but Psychotics live in them  :smile:

Lastly, genuine religious experience - even when "occasioned" (in the words of Huston Smith) by Entheogens, will inform you directly. You will come away from an experience which when transformed down to intellectual and emotional aspects will become apparent to you which religion will welcome your experience and you too because genuine religious experience transforms the experiencer. One then lives out that experience. Wait and see.

Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4307443 - 06/17/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the new replies everyone. With all your insight I think I am starting to see some type of reassurance in myself that I will find what I am looking for. :smile:

Thanks for the link on Jnana Yoga Markos, but unfortunately the link was broken. But I googled it and found some good sites, I am reading them right now.  :thumbup:

I have also been listening to alot of Terence McKenna today, the man is a genius, he blows me away and not to mention I love hearing his voice. In an audio clip from True Hallucinations, he talked about a " forward escape", he said it was the only way out, there was no going back. Just like being in the womb, you are feed and supplied oxygen without even knowing it, you are floating around in complete bliss he said. Then all of a sudden you find yourself in the birth canal being squished to hell.
Terence says that is where we as a human race are right now. Soon enough we are going to making a monumental push out our birth canal we cal reality. Just think that is we were capable of modulating reality.

When I heard this I was kind of shocked, not because it seemed so far fetched, but in the fact that I had written something so similar that it mad my head spin. I have had a small creative writing project on the go for the past two year or so. It is a fictional journal with real fact based on the life and travels of a young man who befriends a shaman. In the start of my book I introduce the setting as that of a world that had undergone a complete conscious shift.

My theory was that a combined conscious effort was able to actually changed reality itself. I donno just a crazy theory, got some inspiration from Jerry Garcia on that one. When I go to my parents place next I will grab my books and such and post the introduction :smile:

Quote:

Neurotics build castles in the air, but Psychotics live in them

I like that :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
    #4307577 - 06/17/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

True Hallucinations is a good book! Im reading Food of the Gods
right now and it's realy good to. Invisible Landscapes was to techy
for me but had alot of interesting information aswell.

Havnt read the Food book yet but I'd recommend it from what I have read! :smile:

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: Arp]
    #4307592 - 06/17/05 01:17 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Another nice book is "Breaking Open the Head" (http://www.breakingopenthehead.com has some excerpts).
At first I found it alittle cynical (he's a new york:er), but either he toned it down or I got used to it :smile:

Reading & listening to lectures can be very rewarding :thumbup:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Lacking spiritual direction [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4307596 - 06/17/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
It is very possible to absorb aspects of Truth from other faiths (I certainly have), but the bottom line is always grounded in the Truth, the Reality of 'Who am I?' It is foundational.

Which is perhaps why the archetype of Odin resonates within me much more than that of Jesus. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4307716 - 06/17/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

one last thing don't listen to any of us, or our advice. so you can choose to accept or reject this statement if you like. one does not need to be directed by others if you listen to yourself and what you feel, you will be on your path. never accept something that you have not experienced, read, or seems like the majority beleifs.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals