Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1343 | 1344 | 1345 | 1346 | 1347 | 1348 | 1349 | 1350 | 1351 | 1352 | 1353 | 1354 | 1355 | 1356 | 1357 | 1358 | 1359 | 1360 | 1361 | 1362 | 1363 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja]
    #29019972 -

I thought I made a water stasis backup of my MVP culture but apparently I did 2 others and skipped it. I found 2 old plates that are completely dried up.
I need to know the chances of reviving a year old dried up plate of MVP.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm] * 1
    #29019976 -

I'd say 50/50.
Were there plins on either?
I had a 10 year old (short-wide mouth ag-jar) that had plin w spores, tyvek paintsuit filter....Hot poured /sandwich tek'd it...

Do you have any dried fruits?

Edited by LewDoja (11/10/24 11:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja]
    #29019987 -

No real plins just small bumps. Yes I have plenty of dried fruit.
I'm kinda hoping it's like dried grain and I can stick a slice of it into an agar plate.

Edited by Bigworm (11/10/24 11:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29020089 -

If a plate has plins, especially a lot, is that a good indicator that it is a clean culture?

I was reading up on the Josex poke yesterday, feels like a good thing to do to make sure some of the cultures I've developed are purified.

Is there a way to do BRF agar pours?


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29020094 -

Huskies said:
Is there a way to do BRF agar pours?



Yeah

We call them brf pucks. I recently saw healthymycelium after 24 hours in my most recent batch.


--------------------

Edited by LightShedder (11/11/24 05:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29020148 -

Huskies said:
If a plate has plins, especially a lot, is that a good indicator that it is a clean culture?



I'd guess it's more an indication that it's a robust culture. I usually get plins on a plate in about 6 weeks, but can be sooner.

If it was well sooner, it could maybe be an indication that it is contammed, since contam shrooms will sometimes fruit and sporulate earlier than usual. Shrooms (and plants) can deal with stress by trying to spread some genetic info as fast as possible.

Pic tax, a plin pushed into a new plate to clone. If you do that, do before it opens and drops spores, and do cut off the bottom, or it's not a clone.
Plin pushed into a fresh plate

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 11
    #29020273 -


Edited by RichMyco (11/11/24 09:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LightShedder] * 1
    #29020404 -

LightShedder said:
Pic tax



I tried the scalpel… pita…
The needle on the other hand: best investment ever 😁

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies] * 1
    #29020454 -

Huskies said:
If a plate has plins, especially a lot, is that a good indicator that it is a clean culture?

I was reading up on the Josex poke yesterday, feels like a good thing to do to make sure some of the cultures I've developed are purified.

Is there a way to do BRF agar pours?



The BRF pucks LightShedder mentioned are great. But if you were actually interested in using it with agar, you can substitute it for malt extract at the same rate (1.5-2%). It will be opaque and pretty light, so you may want to add food dye or charcoal for contrast.

I don't think plate pins say much about whether a culture is clean, since mushrooms will fruit out of contaminated grains and substrate, but it may indicate something about eagerness to fruit.

Edited by Phaethon (11/11/24 12:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Phaethon] * 1
    #29020483 -

My thing is I didn't realize that BRF was more resistant to bacteria, and it hadn't clicked that agar plates are literally made for that lol.

Is it BRF itself? Or being mixed up with vermiculite? Would other flours still have that benefit?

When I do my poured agars, I get 80ish done in one go. I'm totally going to do the brf pucks and the poke for cleaning my good cultures for posterity, but since I don't think there could be poured BRF agar, I need to see if there is a good option.

Has there ever been any tests with using antibacterial additives? This study shows that garlic and glove destroyed all bacteria it came in contact with.

Now, it says these things also have antifungal properties, so it would probably hurt the mycelium. If it still colonizes it, that would be interesting.

Apparently anti-bacterial soaps are not antimicrobial, aka, they only hurt bacteria. So, is it possible that some antibacterial soap added to agar could help prevent bacteria? From Chatgpt:

Black Pepper (Piper nigrum): Primarily antibacterial, with limited antifungal effects. Piperine, its active compound, is more effective against bacteria than fungi.

Cumin (Cuminum cyminum): Known mainly for antibacterial activity, especially against certain types of bacteria that can cause foodborne illness. Its antifungal effects are comparatively minimal.

Coriander (Coriandrum sativum): Typically exhibits antibacterial effects. Some studies show minimal antifungal effects, suggesting it might be safer around fungi compared to other spices.

Cloves (Syzygium aromaticum): Primarily antibacterial, though it can have mild antifungal effects. It’s strong against bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus but is milder against fungi.

Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum): Known for its antibacterial properties, especially in fighting E. coli and other bacteria associated with food spoilage, with only minor antifungal activity.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Edited by Huskies (11/11/24 01:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29020505 -

Ive mixed some agar agar powder and a little bit of corn syrup with some water from boiling popcorn grain. Hopefully i can try pouring some agar soon, i think i might want to try pouring it into some ziplock bags until i get some pp5 containers in the mail. Also i'm wondering if i could sterilize my agar in a glass coke bottle in my pressure cooker? if not what could i use? i would like to get an agar media bottle in the future i think.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies] * 2
    #29020580 -

My impression (not an expert!) is that the vermiculite structure in a BRF cake is what makes them good for cleaning up bacterial culture. Bacteria needs water to spread, and there are a lot of sort of low-water gaps in a BRF+vermiculite cake.

I think it's also true that rice harbors less endemic bacteria than wheat and other cereals, which (along with the limited motility of bacteria in a PF cake) is why you can get away with atmospheric pressure steaming for PF Tek.

I doubt it would make much difference vs. malt extract or another nutrient in agar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Pastel]
    #29020584 -

Pastel said:
Ive mixed some agar agar powder and a little bit of corn syrup with some water from boiling popcorn grain. Hopefully i can try pouring some agar soon, i think i might want to try pouring it into some ziplock bags until i get some pp5 containers in the mail. Also i'm wondering if i could sterilize my agar in a glass coke bottle in my pressure cooker? if not what could i use? i would like to get an agar media bottle in the future i think.



Media bottles are the best option because they are meant to be autoclaved and have really nice anti-drip pouring rings. I think a mason jar is probably next best, though a glass soda bottle will probably work fine. You'll want to cover it with foil at the least.

Ziploc bags will suck for useability IMO, even if they will technically work. Do you have any small jars lying around?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Pastel] * 5
    #29020589 -

Time for some PLINS!!!! Well, I'm excited about it :grin:

All PE7 from the same vendor LC syringe. I've been transferring this one for a minute, I'm hoping to have some ready ferda grain soon. These are the most recent round of transfers:

My 1st plin:




Lil Cluster:




The Fuzzcock:




I hope one or more of these will be clean and ready to run soon. Either way, they sure are fun.


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 4
    #29020919 -

The swab chunk didn’t want to come off the scalpel so the middle of the plate is a little mangled.

niveotropicalis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Phaethon]
    #29020986 -

I don't have many other jars to use for agar I think :sad:, I have two jars that ive tried to use as grain jars so far though I think

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman]
    #29020998 -

ThurmanMurman said:
I just ran through Stro's write up again - he's most definitely referring to isolating genetics through sector selection.

Im not in any way claiming to know what's the right information, I'm just saying there's some confusion on this.



This, right, from 11 years ago?
Stro's Cleaning and Isolating On Agar

OK, I looked again, it DOES have that b.s.
Quote:
Although C is a clone, it isn't a true monoculture. Sectors aren't always easy to see but most of the time you can get a general idea of sectors




He mentions it a bunch in that page.

I actually learned to transfer from that thing, 4 years ago.

Is Stro still alive? I'd love to ask him if he still believes that. But he hasn't posted here since 2018.

Also proof that TCs aren't perfect, just good for their time. He's a TC.

I'm glad you pointed this out, because I link that page in my document
GROWING SHROOMS, FROM SPORES TO TRIPS / ADVICE FOR NOOBS

But I've now edited it to say
-Learn to transfer away from contams (contaminations) on agar. (Note, the transfer info is good, but the "monoculture" "sector" stuff is outdated and wrong. Ignore that.)

ThurmanMurman said:
Valid points on age of posts - tbh, I didn't  notice that write up was 11 years old. Thanks for having this discussion regardless - I've been doing a fair bit of extra work for pretty much nothing.



Sorry to hear that. I wonder how many more are still trying to do that.

Does anyone know a more recent succinct transfer tek on here that has pictures I could replace that link with?

....and that we could all replace it with? I know that one is frequently posted by long-time members when noobs ask how to transfer.

If not, maybe I'll copy it to my journal, correct it, and credit / link the source.

Pic tax, some agar and mycelium.



Edited by nektar61 (11/11/24 09:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29021032 -

Bigworm said:
No real plins just small bumps. Yes I have plenty of dried fruit.
I'm kinda hoping it's like dried grain and I can stick a slice of it into an agar plate.



If the dried agar doesn't work, try the dried inner stipes ...or gill fragments* (*unless you've got spores, and are just trying to resuscitate.)

Edited by LewDoja (11/12/24 12:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 4
    #29021090 -


K back in the day that all stemmed from RR preaching it like it was gospel
I issued 1000 dollar challenge that nobody ever accepted or at least succeeded with
Challenge was if a fruit could contain more than one strain it's should be easy enough to take two completely different mushrooms like a rustywhyte and a penis envy ...cross them and when you find that pe looking rustywhyte clone it and show the sectors ....now try separate it back to both lol 😂


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Edited by cronicr (11/11/24 11:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Henry Swanson] * 3
    #29021112 -

Huskies said:
My thing is I didn't realize that BRF was more resistant to bacteria…

Is it BRF itself? Or being mixed up with



This answer is a lot of “I think” and “if I recall correctly” but, I understand it so that the stiffer and less nutrient dense the medium, the harder time bacteria has at manoeuvring and replicating. My conclusion is that the composition of a BRF puck PF cake (a lot of moisture which is easy to sterilise) and stiffness makes it so that the bacteria present is only able to piggyback with the mycelium, but not expand rapidly enough to have a notable impact on it.
Which is equal to that cleaning a culture from bacteria, is easier at a stiffer low-nutrient agar mix, rather than a softer high-nutrient one. This because the bacteria is unable to move through it effectively by itself, as well as the mycelium stretching out quicker in search for nutrients.
This is, I believe, the reason why you can throw spores directly to PF Tek, instead of going through agar before going to grain.
(Any expert comment on this is most welcome).

As far as additives go for cleaning:
Cabin sequestering is by far the most effective as far as I’m aware, and often used in professional settings to leave bacteria behind. It could look something like this:



Main difference is that actual cabin sequestering requires a slide to go on top, making it impossible for the mycelium to move anywhere but sideways.


Henry Swanson said:
The swab chunk didn’t want to come off the scalpel so the middle of the plate is a little mangled.

niveotropicalis





Have you tried using a syringe needle instead? I’ve found it much smoother rather than using a scalpel. :smile:



nektar61 said:
Pic tax, Still Life with Flow Hood




Is it .1% active charcoal you use with those plates? They look very black on my screen. I love it!

Edit: changing wording.

Edited by MycCycle (11/12/24 10:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1343 | 1344 | 1345 | 1346 | 1347 | 1348 | 1349 | 1350 | 1351 | 1352 | 1353 | 1354 | 1355 | 1356 | 1357 | 1358 | 1359 | 1360 | 1361 | 1362 | 1363 | | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,068 topic views. 12 members, 47 guests and 179 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.056 seconds spending 0.034 seconds on 16 queries.