Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Ignorantape]
    #26531902 -

Ignorantape said:
I'm confused on this one too.  I've been using the brunnings brand coir-peat (the blue pack in Hadrian88's pics). It specifically says that it's bacteria free and suitable for reptile tanks. Is there any chance that you're thinking of another brunnings product ENtiT? SO far I've grown with it without an issue.



Yeah definitely the same product. Although I no longer think that the trichoderma is the real issue. I think it comes down to the pH of the coir. The bricks I tested after hydration were very acidic. Like pH 4.5 acidic. I could get it to 6.5 with some washing and leaching but I think some CaCo2 is needed to get the pH a bit higher.

Coco Coir shouldn't be that low naturally so there is likely residue from how ever the material is processed pushing the pH down.
A pH adjustment for coco coir was never mentioned in the tek I use which is based on brands available in the US. Perhaps the bricks for sale in Australia are processed differently than in the US.

A pH adjusted spawn and casing mix with Brunnings brick coir will be my next experiment when I have some spawn ready... and time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: EbilPhish]
    #26531976 -

EbilPhish said:
Anyone got a source for decent, affordable no-pour containers? All I have is crappy dipping sauce ones and a few bigger ones. Plus heaps of leftover curry ones but there too big.

The only ones I see recommended for Australia are those Tupperware ones that  must cost quite a bit since there fairly elaborate.



Been wondering about this too. Using pre-sterilised plates for my first time with agar but would prefer something reusable!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: EbilPhish]
    #26532078 -

EbilPhish said:
Anyone got a source for decent, affordable no-pour containers? All I have is crappy dipping sauce ones and a few bigger ones. Plus heaps of leftover curry ones but there too big.

The only ones I see recommended for Australia are those Tupperware ones that  must cost quite a bit since there fairly elaborate.



The coloured one is sistema bought from coles when it was on half price. Pack of three for $4. The other one is from target, i think $2 each at full price.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: ENtiT]
    #26532084 -

ENtiT said:
Ignorantape said:
I'm confused on this one too.  I've been using the brunnings brand coir-peat (the blue pack in Hadrian88's pics). It specifically says that it's bacteria free and suitable for reptile tanks. Is there any chance that you're thinking of another brunnings product ENtiT? SO far I've grown with it without an issue.



Yeah definitely the same product. Although I no longer think that the trichoderma is the real issue. I think it comes down to the pH of the coir. The bricks I tested after hydration were very acidic. Like pH 4.5 acidic. I could get it to 6.5 with some washing and leaching but I think some CaCo2 is needed to get the pH a bit higher.

Coco Coir shouldn't be that low naturally so there is likely residue from how ever the material is processed pushing the pH down.
A pH adjustment for coco coir was never mentioned in the tek I use which is based on brands available in the US. Perhaps the bricks for sale in Australia are processed differently than in the US.

A pH adjusted spawn and casing mix with Brunnings brick coir will be my next experiment when I have some spawn ready... and time.



Interesting info. I am thinking if the hot soak water has some dissolved lime in it it should do the trick... ill check my coir with ph strips as well and report back.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AyEyDiZed]
    #26532088 -

AyEyDiZed said:
So came home from work and seen this. What a wonderful sight.



Picked and weighed them. 21g and 7g.



So hopefully the rest of the tub catches up. These two just grew a lot faster than expected.

I know it's not that much but these are the first shrooms I've grown from spore to fruit.



Nice work, clone the clusters on agar . :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Chaos4142]
    #26532903 -

That’s very interesting about the Brunnings coco. It’s what I’ve been using and regularly get 3-4 flushes in my shoeboxes without drama. I get the occasional box that gets mold especially in February when it’s hot and muggy but have found it pretty reliable.

I’ve been prepping it in a cooler with boiling water over night.

I’m not disputing the claims made here but I’m curious to try another brand now or at least pH test it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: bongoman]
    #26533054 -

Thanks Chaos. I should've taken a clone sample but i didn't. And now the whole tub caught trich. It was same coir that everyone's talking about. But i think it was because i over sprayed it and didn't give enough fae.

But I'm about to noc up another round of spawn. The second isolate looks great on agar so hopefully stronger and quicker growth. 
And I'm going to use the hybrid monotub/SGFC here..

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25103564#25103564

Wish me luck. Im also going to noc up a jar with fine woodchips and a gym lute print so hopefully that works and i can get an outdoor patch of gyms going.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AyEyDiZed]
    #26535957 -

Hi guys! I am new on the forum, but not new on the subject. Am really interested continue studies on the cultures, and was wondering if someone could give me a little direction to where I can ask for a p.cubensis print? And if someone has some samples for the microscope, would be awesome to connect with. Looks really hard here in Australia to find online shop for prints.
Thanks guys, love you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AskSoul]
    #26539486 -

Hey man, sporetraders on reddit is the place to go, try u/dropbearmyc. Also make sure to have a read over some of the posts in this thread, theres lots of good auestralian relevant stuff in here.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Caramelbingbong]
    #26545269 -

Thanks mate! Went for sporetraders on reddit, and looks one USA vendor is packink already 4 prints for mailing. Very nice! Lets wait for a delivery
Ordered Wikidzon, Golden mammoth, BHT and Matias Romero.
I am new in micro studies, so gathering info on appropriate TEK.
Will start with BHT and Wikidzon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AskSoul]
    #26545680 -

The Shaman Australis Forum usually has a few floating round as well.

Shaman Australis

ya need to sign up though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: spaztastic]
    #26552231 -

So 2nd isolate of b+ turned out great. I have some jars of wbs nocced up.



But i've noticed one jar has a slice of agar stuck to the lid.
So i'm just going to ask for opinions. Should i leave it as is or try to shake it loose.



I'm just worried shaking too early might have a bad result. But it is covering the gas ex. hole.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AyEyDiZed]
    #26552403 -

The timing of the shake doesn't matter too much. If you do it too early then it'll just take another day or two to colonise. I'd say shake it now. It's close enough.to the 20-30% colonisation that it's not going to matter.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Ignorantape]
    #26553983 -

Thanks. Yeah i gave it a shake.  It didn't want to let go so it needed a big hit but its joined the rest of the grains now.

Ok so next question.
I've got some ps. Cyanescens (wavy caps) from America. I've put the first agar slices onto cardboard which i then hope to noc up some woodchips.

But I've read they don't like pine, only hard wood.

These are my options...


The wood pellets are the most expensive but they are hickory which asante recommends.
The eucy mulch is smaller so hopefully better colonisation but maybe they don't grow well on that.

Edited by AyEyDiZed (03/24/20 12:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AyEyDiZed]
    #26558041 -

Hey mates,

Im looking for a source for pre poured/sterilised agar petri dishes in australia

Found this random link

http://www.bacto.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30755

anyone know a good source for em?

Edited by Tarnwyn (03/25/20 11:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Tarnwyn]
    #26558206 -

Tarnwyn said:
Hey mates,

Im looking for a source for pre poured/sterilised agar petri dishes in australia

Found this random link

http://www.bacto.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30755

anyone know a good source for em?



Have you considered a no pour agar tek?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: migraineur]
    #26558225 -

Yeah the plates in that link should so you but like migraineur suggests a no-pour agar tek will suit you just as well as pre-poured plates. You'll also be able to make several hundred plates for the cost of that sleeve of twenty.

Other than that I have no experience with pre-made plates so I can't suggest any other sources.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: migraineur]
    #26558241 -

If you're looking for a solid pressure cooker that'll last a life time then get an All American pressure cooker. It used to be a lot cheaper and easier to buy one from Amazon, even though it's imported from the USA. However, because of geo restrictions it might be cheaper and easier to buy from eBay, Balkowitsch (which also has an eBay shop) or Aussie Mushroom Supplies. I know Aussie Mushroom Supplies could sell and ship Aussies an All American autoclave for a cheaper price than the American sites that I was looking at, probably because they buy in bulk and already have their logistics set up for it.

Wide mouth mason jars are great to use and the synthetic filter discs fit perfectly with them. Buy the jars off eBay unless you can find them for a cheaper price in person somewhere.

Pre mixed agar is expensive and you can make your own by buying the agar powder from an Asian grocer and then buying the light malt extract powder from Big W or a brewing shop. A packet of agar is only a couple of bucks and you can get 500 grams of light malt extract powder for $7 (give or take).

Big W has cheap pots and other utensils that you can use for this hobby.

You can use food grade take away containers as disposable petri dishes when doing agar work. Put a hole in the side, cover with a few layers of micropore tape and you can make pre poured agar plates with these. Make sure the plastic is PP5 so it can withstand the heat of the pressure cooker.

Feed stores for horse owners and vets etc. might provide you with boxes of cheap and sterile syringes and needles. You might also find bales of hay and bags of grain at such a place for a good price.

There's no need to be fixated on using rye grain. I know it's mentioned a lot on the Shroomery but you can use numerous different grains and sometimes you need to do the best with what you've got available to you. We grow a lot of wheat in Australia which means that it's cheaper and easier to obtain. You should be able to buy bags of it cheaply from pet shops or even on Gumtree etc. You can even use barley if you want to. I find using these grains is better than wild bird seed because the larger grains are easier to shake apart.

Horse poo should can generally be obtained freely from any place that has horses since they often can't get rid of the stuff fast enough. Check Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace for free horse manure or ask anyone who lives near you who has horses.

If you want bulk coffee grounds then ask a local cafe or restaurant if you can have their waste grounds since they're going to put them in the bin anyway.

Bunnings is probably the easiest place to buy bricks of coir from. It's also good for trigger misters, bags of gypsum, storage tubs to use as fruiting chambers and buckets when using bucket teks. If you're going to use a lot of 10% bleach spray when cleaning your myco room then buy some plastic goggles and a gas mask whilst you're there.

Don't buy vermiculite or perlite from Bunnings as you'll be ripped off. You can buy a huge bags of both from hydroponic shops which are much better value. A massive bag of perlite will set you back about $50ish dollars and a big bag of vermiculite might be close to the same or perhaps a bit more. Either way, buy this stuff from a hydroponic shop.

Woolworths has 10 packs of aluminium BBQ trays that are a good shape, size and price. These are good to use when making trays to put into your fruiting chamber. You can get your cheap bleach here as well as your latex gloves, aluminium foil and even some wild bird seed if you are unable to get your hands on some other grain in a hurry.


For rubbing alcohol you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you buy a 5L container from eBay or Amazon. Given the COVID19 pandemic at the moment it's quite hard to find anywhere and the prices are expensive.

Wiltronics is a good Aussie shop for scientific related supplies, such as flasks, dissection kits (useful for agar work), petri dishes and so on.

eBay is also worth checking for scalpels, blades, petri dishes and other things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: migraineur]
    #26558318 -

Isopropyl alcohol can be found at commercial cleaning supplies shops when available. Usually $35 for 5l

P2 masks also available from safety shops.

At the moment though, with the COVID19 pandemic, there is nothing available anywhere.
I have been told the next scheduled deliveries are in July.
Tough as I use both for work!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: siiren]
    #26558320 -

Yeah, I was getting 5L of isopropyl delivered for $30. Then the price went up to about $50 from the same places and that's if they even have it in stock. The people who are re-selling it are gouging the fuck out of everyone.

What kind of work do you use it for?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Official Copelandia/Panaeolus Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 2159 2160 )
Fantastic Mr. Fox 1,303,646 43,186 09/26/26 06:20 PM
by PuffM4gicDr4gon
* Official Psilocybe zapotecorum thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 87 88 )
Hindsight 81,263 1,752 09/27/26 08:34 AM
by Noah Keeper
* The Official TAT Family Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 65 66 )
tiptrippy 89,044 1,308 08/21/26 08:37 AM
by Smartattack
* Done with the hobby and looking to sell the bulk of my investment/equipment ShroomNugget 309 4 01/18/26 05:21 PM
by Yawnsalot
* Post Your Cultivation Picture of The Day
( 1 2 3 4 ... 8714 8715 )
saralove 5,223,158 174,280 09/27/26 07:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* The Cultivation Confessional Booth - The Unofficial Cultivation Off Topic Discussion.
( 1 2 3 4 ... 1453 1454 )
BeefExtreme 457,583 29,065 09/27/26 07:38 PM
by Rasmodius
* mycology equipment/supplies/etc for sale! rhizome 2,330 10 11/16/03 03:01 PM
by Bugsbunny
* Important - All Cultivators please read.
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
ThorA 43,964 103 05/31/05 03:35 AM
by Anno

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
24,769 topic views. 14 members, 70 guests and 109 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.