Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineCaramelbingbong
CaramelBB
Loc: SA Flag
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AyEyDiZed]
    #26308330 - 11/08/19 10:54 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, I'm about 80% through my first grow, agar to monotubs, and boy do I wish I saw this thread earlier hahaha.

I was wondering if anyone would be interesting in joining/starting a Aussie mushroom grow chat on telegram (an encrypted messaging app).
I think it would be super helpful for sharing info, progress and asking questions quickly. Reply to this or pm me if youre interested!

--------------------
My first grow summary

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineViginti Tres23
Nang Enthusiast
Male
Loc: Flag
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Caramelbingbong]
    #26318943 - 11/14/19 01:33 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Picked up a 2kg brick of coir from my local Bunnings for about $8, brunnings brand garden coir, it said bacteria free on the label and seems to be working fine atm no contams at all.  Also great thread idea, so hard to find cheap supplies here and not get stuff shipped from overseas.
Also have bought a print from Aussie Mushroom spores, paid $50 and received about a 1cm x 1cm piece of foil that I could hardly see any spores on at all (could of been my bad handling) was barely enough to make 2 syringes. Absolute rip off I reckon just trying to make money off people like me starting out who have no idea because it’s so dam hard to get good prints here and I’m not game enough to order from overseas

--------------------
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong. - Terence McKenna

OfflineBhumi
Stranger
Male

Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Viginti Tres23]
    #26321534 - 11/15/19 04:02 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

If you are in Sydney area, Enfield Pet Store is I reckon the best place. Really cheap and got the whole range from whole oats to gypsum to coir. Been using their products so far and haven't had any contamination issues. Spores can come from Corroboree.

OfflineAyEyDiZed
RIP Mamba
Male

Loc: NSW Australia Flag
    #26322772 - 11/15/19 03:19 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I still haven't purchased any spores yet but I was going to buy the mazatepec ones from them. Is that what you got? Very disappointing that's all you received.

Let us know how well they turn out though.

Offlinepanjam
Kitten
 User Gallery

Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: AyEyDiZed]
    #26323045 - 11/15/19 05:27 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I got some spore prints from one of the trusted vendors. Delivery took about 2 or 3 weeks from the US but they germinated real fast on agar. A bit expensive but totally worth it in my opinion.

I don't have access to marketplace yet but defs keen to trade and stuff when I do.

OfflineCaramelbingbong
CaramelBB
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: panjam]
    #26323553 - 11/15/19 09:48 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Viginti Tres23 said:
Picked up a 2kg brick of coir from my local Bunnings for about $8, brunnings brand garden coir, it said bacteria free on the label and seems to be working fine atm no contams at all.  Also great thread idea, so hard to find cheap supplies here and not get stuff shipped from overseas.
Also have bought a print from Aussie Mushroom spores, paid $50 and received about a 1cm x 1cm piece of foil that I could hardly see any spores on at all (could of been my bad handling) was barely enough to make 2 syringes. Absolute rip off I reckon just trying to make money off people like me starting out who have no idea because it’s so dam hard to get good prints here and I’m not game enough to order from overseas

I would double check to see if that coir brick has any added fertilizers in them, a lot fo the brunnings ones do. I've used the blue packaging 'peak brick' ones from bunnings and had success, I believe they are just pure coir. Also I find buying th 700g blocks rather than the 8kg ones is easier, as the 700g blocks are basically perfect for a 50-60L tub. That way you dont need to break it up before you add water, which can be very challenging.

Quote:

panjam said:
I got some spore prints from one of the trusted vendors. Delivery took about 2 or 3 weeks from the US but they germinated real fast on agar. A bit expensive but totally worth it in my opinion.

I don't have access to marketplace yet but defs keen to trade and stuff when I do.

As far as purchasing spores goes, I'd highly recommend r/sporetraders or r/SporeSwap. There are many trusted vendors on there. I've had luck getting spore prints from the US, just make sure you ask vendor if they've had luck sending to Australia before, and check their reviews. However I've also gotten prints and syringes from u/OCESpores-R-us who's on there, and they're from the Perth area.

--------------------
My first grow summary

OfflineViginti Tres23
Nang Enthusiast
Male
Loc: Flag
    #26328023 - 11/18/19 01:59 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

AyEyDiZed said:
I still haven't purchased any spores yet but I was going to buy the mazatepec ones from them. Is that what you got? Very disappointing that's all you received.

Let us know how well they turn out though.

Yeah I got a mazatepec print, was my first attempt at BRF cakes so I only got a couple of g’s out of them but they were indeed psilocybin lol. still not worth it for the price and size of print.

Quote:

Caramelbingbong said:
Quote:

Viginti Tres23 said:

I would double check to see if that coir brick has any added fertilizers in them, a lot fo the brunnings ones do. I've used the blue packaging 'peak brick' ones from bunnings and had success, I believe they are just pure coir. Also I find buying th 700g blocks rather than the 8kg ones is easier, as the 700g blocks are basically perfect for a 50-60L tub. That way you dont need to break it up before you add water, which can be very challenging.

Already threw the packaging out, dam! Ah well seems to be colonising well and won’t be far off flipping the lid to fruit so I’ll keep you posted if its a success
Yes absolutely 700g blocks would be much easier, I ended up cutting mine with a bread knife it was fucked 🤦‍♂️

--------------------
Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong. - Terence McKenna

OfflineCaramelbingbong
CaramelBB
    #26330113 - 11/19/19 12:11 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

hey I mean if its working its working, nice work brother!

--------------------
My first grow summary

Offlineskywhisp
Student
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #26341293 - 11/23/19 09:34 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Hi everyone!

I am new and super keen to start growing. Glad to find some Aussie info, thanks for all the tips so far. What are everyone's go-to teks? I was going to try BRF cakes first unless people have other recommendations?
Obtaining spores definitely seems to be the rate limiting step in all this, though. I am extremely nervous of importing.
I am going to try and contact u/OCESpores-R-us, will let you know how it goes.

Cheers all.

OfflineRyanbman89
Stranger
    #26341496 - 11/24/19 01:17 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

so happy to be a part of the aussie shroomery community. Exciting stuff :P

OfflineHadrian88
Tryhard

Loc: The Great Southern Land
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Ryanbman89]
    #26344773 - 11/25/19 02:08 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Hey legends! Legit noob here and just wanted to give my appreciation to you al for the great info. Going to keep lurking until I can access the marketplace, but in the mean time, would love any advice you all have in the mean time for preferred TEKS and why. Also pretty interested in what we need to consider due to our climate?

This journey for me is one of healing, and when the time is right, I feel like it would be best done with a ‘guide’ of sorts. Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Hadrian.

--------------------
"Creativity breeds happiness and happiness breeds creativity"

OfflinedeXtrous
complete tool
Male

Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Hadrian88]
    #26345935 - 11/26/19 01:43 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hadrian88 said:
Hey legends! Legit noob here and just wanted to give my appreciation to you al for the great info. Going to keep lurking until I can access the marketplace, but in the mean time, would love any advice you all have in the mean time for preferred TEKS and why. Also pretty interested in what we need to consider due to our climate?

This journey for me is one of healing, and when the time is right, I feel like it would be best done with a ‘guide’ of sorts. Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Hadrian.

Nothing really worthwhile in the marketplace for Aussies.

If you want to get into cultivation, i'd suggest starting with monotub tek.

Good luck :smile:

InvisibleUrbanCubensis

Loc: down the road
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: deXtrous]
    #26345952 - 11/26/19 02:15 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys and gals,
Sorry for the extended delay in replies.

My recommended tek for beginning is shoeboxes, 2 teks I relied on were mushboys and afterwards, ShaperDreamings SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK.

My thought process is that starting out, especially in Aus, everythings not the cheapest, so rather than throwing say 10 hard-earned colonised quart jars of spawn into a monotub with some coir, I prefer making shoeboxes (anywhere from 5L-8L) and using 2 quarts of spawn to 2 quarts of coir.

This way, if a shoebox containing 2 quarts of spawn goes bad, it is easier to discard than having a giant 50L+ monotub contaminate and therefore the entire lot goes to waste. Using bigger tubs does not lead to more mushrooms. The harvest amount is only scaled up in correlation with the amount of spawn used in a tub. I do a 1:1 ratio of spawn to substrate as it will always result in the same amount of spawn, the amount you harvest is dependent on the amount of spawn used.

Yes, you will need to maintain more tubs however it shouldn't be much of an issue. I must say though, I'd love to eventually do a massive monotub and watch the canopy go insane! :lol:

--------------------
Check out my High Capacity DIY Dehydrator! | Aussie Cultivator Thread | Mushroom Recipes Thread

just your friendly neighborhood cube

OfflineHadrian88
Tryhard

Loc: The Great Southern Land
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: UrbanCubensis]
    #26346047 - 11/26/19 04:55 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet. Cheers mate.

Before I read this i have been prepping to do one big one, but your right, i would uppercut myself if i watched it go bad. Diversify for safety seems to be the go.

Will check those teks tomorrow and study up!

--------------------
"Creativity breeds happiness and happiness breeds creativity"

Offlineskywhisp
Student
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Hadrian88] * 1
    #26347256 - 11/26/19 05:58 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Makes sense.
The "starting out" posts don't really touch on the possibility that the whole thing could contaminate and you lose everything. I will try shoebox instead.

Cheers!

OfflineChaos4142
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: skywhisp]
    #26347942 - 11/27/19 05:40 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Great initiative, over a year ago I had to learn all this the hard way, cursed everytime I had to buy / search something and looked at the costs involved. Anyways few bulk grows and many failures later heres my 0.02

-Use any jar (fuck Mason) I have used (Kmart,BigW, reject shop, sauce jars, 2L costco Gerkin jars, you name it they all work)

-Grain, I use whole Oats find them from feed stores $20~25 for 25kg bag (will last a lifetime) Previously i fucked around with WBS (too expensive) Some other seed for invitro growing (Violets tek) Again didnt suit my budget

-Inoc loop, get any wire twist it and tie it rigidly to a metal rod. (Dont laugh, I used the bag tying wire things in the kitchen, and tied the loop to a wooden skewer. Been working sweet as)

-monotub, I waited patiently for bunnings sales, did get some from reject shop as well. Also used a lite n easy delivery box (made of thermopol) for one of the grows :smile:, also grew some spent cake (with trich) outdoors in a flower pot

-Coir I have only got from bunnings, the bigger bricks are more economical, but its a bitch to cut it and bring to required weight but it does save some coin

-Petri, this has been a regret, I never invested in proper petri dishes, always used pastyplates (they are sistema from memory) got them from coles when they were on sale. Dont get me wrong, they work, its just that those sexy photos of rhizo growth on a petri always fascinated me, that angle of view is not possible on pastyplates. But I have reused them 10s of times without drama

-Agar get from the vegan health stores $10 for 30g pack or if you can find one from an asian shop (i wasnt lucky and played around with some devious looking thing which I thought was agar)

Lastly I wish one day I will buy a Presto. So far I have used my normal home use pressure cooker, slightly modified to the weight. I strongly advise not to tinker if you dont know what you are doing. Spending that money on Presto is probably the best investment in this hobby, everyting else can be makeshift. I originally suffered some contam due to inadequate pressure, even now I suffer huge time delays due to longer sterlization times. But since I dont grow that Often it works Ok-ish

All this was made possible by amazing Teks from Bodi, which I have mostly followed.

Peace to all, and yell out if any questions that I can help with.

OfflineChaos4142
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26347956 - 11/27/19 05:48 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Viginti Tres23 said:

I guess you already know the answer by now, but these work just fine, no fungicide in them.

Offlinefzj80
Stranger
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: Chaos4142]
    #26384518 - 12/16/19 05:32 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi and i'm super excited to be a part of this community.

This is something I've wanted to pursue for years and only now do i have the time and space to give it a go.

Thanks for all the info and I look forward to this journey with you all.

InvisibleUrbanCubensis

Loc: down the road
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: fzj80]
    #26415104 - 01/03/20 08:17 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Just wanted to bump the post and see how everybody's going in the Aussie community, any troubles with anything in particular? Let us know here, plenty of fellow members and myself are happy to help.

Cheers

--------------------
Check out my High Capacity DIY Dehydrator! | Aussie Cultivator Thread | Mushroom Recipes Thread

just your friendly neighborhood cube

OfflineAyEyDiZed
RIP Mamba
Male

Loc: NSW Australia Flag
Re: Attention AUSSIE Cultivators! [Re: UrbanCubensis]
    #26415191 - 01/03/20 09:12 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Been pretty busy all thru Xmas break and the kids have been driving us crazy but have managed to get some prints from the marketplace.

I have the stuff to make up agar so as soon as that's prepped I'll put the prints  to it and go from there.

Bought some petri dishes and gl45 bottles from a science shop online which had afterpay and found a $15 PC on gumtree.

So basically all ready to get going. And I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

I read an interesting post about vermiculite containing asbestos and using charcoal as an alternative. Any thoughts?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck