Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
the inevitable economic reality: automation
    #22882592 -

Quote:

Impact of automation puts up to 85% of jobs in developing countries at risk


February 8, 2016
http://www.kurzweilai.net/impact-of-automation-puts-up-to-85-of-jobs-in-developing-countries-at-risk


A new report from the Oxford Martin School and Citi considers the risks of job automation to developing countries, estimated to range from 55% in Uzbekistan to 85% in Ethiopia — a substantial share in major emerging economies, including China and India (77% and 69% respectively).

The report, Technology at Work v2.0: The Future Is Not What It Used to Be, builds on 2013 research by Oxford Martin School’s Carl Benedikt Frey and Michael Osborne, who found that nearly half of U.S. jobs could be at risk of computerization (as KurzweilAI reported), and on the first Technology at Work report, published in 2015.

The Future is Not What is Used to Be provides in-depth analysis of the vulnerabilities of countries and cities to job automation, explores what automation will mean for traditional models of economic growth, and considers how governments can prepare for the potentially disruptive impacts of job automation on society.

Key areas of analysis in the report include:
  • While manufacturing productivity has traditionally enabled developing countries to close the gap with richer countries, automation is likely to impact negatively on their ability to do this, and new growth models will be required.
  • The impact of automation may be more disruptive for developing countries, due to lower levels of consumer demand and limited social safety nets. With automation and developments in 3D printing likely to drive companies to move manufacturing closer to home, developing countries risk :premature de-industrialisation.”
  • Even within countries, the impact of automation will lead to the divergence of the fortunes of different cities. While a number of cities may have been affected by, for example, offshoring of manufacturing in the past, the expanding scope of automation now means that even low-end service jobs are at risk, making a different set of cities vulnerable.
  • Risk of total U.S. employment at risk continues since the 2013 study at about 47 percent. Cities in the U.S. most at risk included Fresno and Las Vegas; least at risk include Boston, Washington DC, and New York. In relatively skilled cities, such as Boston, only 38% of jobs are susceptible to automation. In Fresno, by contrast, the equivalent figure is 54%. The computing revolution has been closely linked to the fortunes of U.S. cities, with cities that became centers of information technology gaining a comparative advantage in new job creation that has persisted since. The tendency of skilled jobs to cluster in initially skilled cities has, since the computer revolution of the 1980s, contributed to increased income disparities between cities.
  • Digital industries have not created many new jobs. Since 2000, just 0.5% of the US workforce has shifted into new technology industries, most of which are directly associated with digital technologies.
  • The largest number of job openings in the coming decades is projected to be in the health sector, which is expected to add more than 4 million new jobs in the U.S. from 2012 to 2022.


Most investors by surveyed by Citi feel automation poses a major challenge to societies and policymakers, but are optimistic that automation and technology will help to boost productivity over time, and believe that investment in education will be the most effective policy response to the potential negative impacts of automation.

“When it comes to cities, the risk is clear: those that specialize in skills that are easily automatable stand to lose, while the ones that manage the industrial renewal process, particularly by creating new industries, stand to gain,” said Frey, Co-Director of the Oxford Martin Programme on Technology and Employment, and Oxford Martin Citi Fellow.

Kathleen Boyle, Citi GPS Managing Editor, acknowledges that mindsets need to change, saying: “A key challenge of the 21st century will be recognizing that accelerating technological change is going to affect both employment and society.

“The magnitude of the challenge ahead needs to be recognized and an agenda set for policy to address issues such as educational needs, to minimize the negative affect of automation on workers. And it is crucial that this conversation starts now.”





It's extremely clear: one of the inevitable results of technological development is the streamlining of economic processes and the elimination of jobs.  Ironically, this has been the dream of civilized man from time immemorial -- that robots would do all the work while humans dreamt and played.  Well, the economic reality is now at our doorstep and we don't know what to do.  Even the politicians aren't talking about this -- one of the most central issues of the next fifty years.

How radical will the steps be that are needed to address this problem?  When will people wake up and realize that there is a catastrophe looming just over the professional horizon?

Probably we will do nothing until it is far too late.  Anyone have any ideas?


--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #22882820 -

I have thought about this for a couple of years now and I've been closely monitoring as much U.N. documents along with those from there many affiliated partners like the world bank and world wildlife fund for just as long. Also I'm sure most people have seen or have heard of Peter Joseph and his Zeitgeist movement but for those who haven't it's a film where Joseph narrates an intro where he "un-refutedly" destroys the concept of Jesus and then goes about destroying the economic system and finally he shows us a world where everyone is equal and free from jobs where they can all just kick back and soak in.

While it is true that at the rate were going industry should be for the most part completely automated within most of our lifetimes, it may be a bit of a stretch to assume that the result from this will be a happy utopia where humans can evolve past things like hate and violence and stress. Also Joseph coin's a new term called "Blank slate morality" that he claims is an actual truth about human beings. The idea is that if a child is raised in a perfect loving environment(controlled by the state), that child will never experience any negative emotions because it will never even know they exist... total bullshit.

Anyways I think this focus on whats going to happen economically as the world becomes overran by SKYNET drones is probably not very significant as the question of what will they do with all the old style model drones, AKA us. Without the demand for labor, stocks value in labor will fall as a result. So who holds stock value in the labor commodity industry? We do. We are the labor commodity. And once we no longer have market value, the investors will surly drop their shares and the old labor commodity industry will drop with it, thus putting us out of business.

Also, getting back to Peter Joseph's wild claim of worldwide "human equality", what does this mean? Human economic equality? Or is he planning on creating a fleet of clones or something? The concept of human equality, especially government legislated human equality is so full of holes I can't even decide which hole to first dive into. And has anyone read these world bank packets where they try and paint this happy little rhetoric where they "help third world populations by making clean drinking water available to them and strengthening communities by economically empowering women" or as I like to say it, take full control of Africa's water and diamond resources, hand out a bunch of loans to African people, show them how to spend the money, drown them in interest and force them all to work in the mines including their now "economically empowered women".

This is where I start preaching on how maybe its time to rethink our seemingly un-considered need to create higher levels of technology but I won't. Just watch the Terminator movies and see for yourself.


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: deezdelta]
    #22882840 -

deezdelta said:
This is where I start preaching on how maybe its time to rethink our seemingly un-considered need to create higher levels of technology but I won't. Just watch the Terminator movies and see for yourself.



But because it's so profitable they won't stop.


--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: deezdelta]
    #22882843 -

As far as solutions go Im at a loss. They already have the flying killbot drones built and operational. Maybe we could start learning how to live our lives without relying on businesses to carry us through it????


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #22882850 -

DividedQuantum said:
deezdelta said:
This is where I start preaching on how maybe its time to rethink our seemingly un-considered need to create higher levels of technology but I won't. Just watch the Terminator movies and see for yourself.



But because it's so profitable they won't stop.



Yup. They may have already backed us into the corner right out in plain sight.


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: deezdelta]
    #22883042 -

I've thought of this for many years OP. It definitely is going to happen, and it's going to happen in the next few decades I imagine. The only solution I can think of is that we will have to go full on Communist. Every citizen will have to be given a living 'wage'; enough to feed, clothe, and house the individual, I imagine other services like healthcare, education, transportation, and communication will be paid for by the government/corporations as well.

From there, I imagine the only way to get ahead for the common man will be to create art. Considering machines will be doing everything else, I can see that artists would still have a venue to make more money than the average person. So essentially their will likely be only a few classes of people.

> The Wealthy, who own everything
> The Government, aka the Wealthy's lackeys
> The Artists, those who make various forms of art/entertainment for the masses
> The Criminals, those who continue to disobey the law to make money
> The Mechanics, those who oversee and repair the machines
> The Dependents, 90% of the population who are 100% dependent on the system

Edited by manaloa (02/09/16 01:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: manaloa]
    #22883108 -

manaloa said:
I've thought of this for many years OP. It definitely is going to happen, and it's going to happen in the next few decades I imagine. The only solution I can think of is that we will have to go full on Communist. Every citizen will have to be given a living 'wage'; enough to feed, clothe, and house the individual, I imagine other services like healthcare, education, transportation, and communication will be paid for by the government/corporations as well.

From there, I imagine the only way to get ahead for the common man will be to create art. Considering machines will be doing everything else, I can see that artists would still have a venue to make more money than the average person. So essentially their will likely be only a few classes of people.

> The Wealthy, who own everything
> The Government, aka the Wealthy's lackeys
> The Artists, those who make various forms of art/entertainment for the masses
> The Criminals, those who continue to disobey the law to make money
> The Mechanics, those who oversee and repair the machines
> The Dependents, 90% of the population who are 100% dependent on the system



Or we could just all blow our brains out right now. This is definitely not a world that I'd want to live in. Unless of course we were all given access to unlimited free drugs!! Then I might stick around for a while.
Also I think you forgot an overwhelming presence of an unmerciful robot military class as well as the Sickly class which will probably just end up replacing the entire 'All of the other classes except for the wealthy class'.


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: deezdelta] * 1
    #22883123 -

There will probably be a minority of workers as well for the select few jobs that are too difficult/expensive to automate.

In all honesty it doesn't sound to be that bad of a future. As long as the majority has enough to live. I imagine drugs will be legal by that time as well, or at the very least the drugs we know about. No doubt their will be gnarlier drugs made in the future that the government will make illegal.

I think the future has potential to be quite interesting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: manaloa]
    #22883166 -

It'll definitely be very interesting thats for sure.


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: manaloa]
    #22883467 -

manaloa said:
There will probably be a minority of workers as well for the select few jobs that are too difficult/expensive to automate.

In all honesty it doesn't sound to be that bad of a future. As long as the majority has enough to live. I imagine drugs will be legal by that time as well, or at the very least the drugs we know about. No doubt their will be gnarlier drugs made in the future that the government will make illegal.

I think the future has potential to be quite interesting.




"May you live in interesting times" :satansmoking:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: Icelander]
    #22883479 -

They say times of peace have no history.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: manaloa]
    #22883532 -

manaloa said:
They say times of peace have no history.



Ive never heard that one but I loved it the moment I saw it. I want to witness some real significant goddamn history before I die. Or while I'm dying. Both work for me.


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: deezdelta]
    #22883558 -

I read it in a book about Hawaii history. There is a gap of history that spans hundreds of years in which the only passed down knowledge of those times were of lineage. Then seemingly out of nowhere Hawaiian history erupts alongside various battles and clashing tribes and various dramas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: deezdelta]
    #22883745 -

deezdelta said:
I want to witness some real significant goddamn history before I die.



So do I. I wanna witness the human race getting its ass whooped for all its ridiculous fuckery.

As you can tell, I'm not optimistic about the direction we're heading in, as a whole.


--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: manaloa]
    #22883750 -

manaloa said:
I read it in a book about Hawaii history. There is a gap of history that spans hundreds of years in which the only passed down knowledge of those times were of lineage. Then seemingly out of nowhere Hawaiian history erupts alongside various battles and clashing tribes and various dramas.



That fact that history only contains big events always makes me wonder just how easy it might be for a determined group of people to completely rewrite the history books and how many generations that might take. Id say not many, especially with events like mass book burnings and the destruction of entire libraries like at Alexandria. Once it's in the public record, any contradictory accounts are automatically discarded as myth. When I really think about it I can't see any reason why history as we know couldn't just be a complete account of total BS. I think if I had one wish for anything I wanted it would be a full, complete and accurate historical record of mankind including the times before humans figured out language and writing skills. That would be badass.


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: manaloa]
    #22883783 -

manaloa said:
They say times of peace have no history.




Well that was a Chinese curse. I thought it was appropriate. :laugh:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #22883791 -

Jokeshopbeard said:
deezdelta said:
I want to witness some real significant goddamn history before I die.



So do I. I wanna witness the human race getting its ass whooped for all its ridiculous fuckery.

As you can tell, I'm not optimistic about the direction we're heading in, as a whole.




Same .


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: Icelander]
    #22883955 -

I sensed this as an eventuality, which is why I am learning how to automate things.

:strokebeard:

But it won't be long before even programming is automated.

:sad:

Hopefully it creates some sort of surplus of time and resources and uplifts humanity.

But I can see it going really bad, especially if there isn't a fair redistrubition of wealth (the robot 'owners' getting ridiculously rich, whereas the everyday working man loses all work prospects.)


--------------------
zen by age ten times six hundred lifetimes
Light up the darkness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: Icelander]
    #22883976 -

Icelander said:
Jokeshopbeard said:
deezdelta said:
I want to witness some real significant goddamn history before I die.



So do I. I wanna witness the human race getting its ass whooped for all its ridiculous fuckery.

As you can tell, I'm not optimistic about the direction we're heading in, as a whole.




Same .



I see you as much more realistic person. Way too many people have this cultural belief, became determined sensationalized knowledge that say's mankind is evolving into a new golden age of enlightenment automatically and not to worry while the rest of them think Jesus is gonna come down any minute on his horse wielding a sword of pure forgiveness in order to butcher all those who failed to remain in good standings with the church out of love.
Your just a well grounded man who has full control of his own mind trying to learn some real shit.


--------------------
Don't die tonight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the inevitable economic reality: automation [Re: hTx]
    #22884010 -

Honestly, it could happen a lot quicker than many realize.

Advances in AI are happening quicker and quicker, I believe we could see human-level AI by 2020, after that it will not be much longer before most things humans do can/will be automated.

Although, I do not know how something like "creativity" could be automated, if ever even figured out.

So, jobs involving creative talents, even slight, should be safe for awhile.

As well, people are relatively resistant to robots taking over their jobs, I don't think many workers would allow it. (I bet after it begins happening, we will see quite a lot robots get destroyed in the wake of the robotic age)


--------------------
zen by age ten times six hundred lifetimes
Light up the darkness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Of Kitties, Supercomputers and AI OrgoneConclusion 605 10 04/20/10 05:22 PM
by deCypher
* Reality all falls down...
( 1 2 3 all )
jiva 4,301 47 05/08/14 11:15 AM
by OrgoneConclusion
* Shroomism vs. Reality
( 1 2 3 all )
Sclorch 4,803 56 04/20/02 05:47 AM
by raytrace
* Can I convert an idealist? Reality thread!
( 1 2 all )
Mixomatosis 3,479 35 12/27/03 08:34 PM
by Malachi
* Reality as a set of abstractions
( 1 2 all )
trendalM 3,401 33 04/06/04 10:00 AM
by Viaggio
* the breaking apart of reality. *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
dorkus 3,603 35 01/17/05 11:05 AM
by InnerBeing
* Reality vs. the mushroom
( 1 2 3 4 all )
AbstractSoul 11,125 64 02/18/02 03:36 PM
by AbstractSoul
* your mind COULD be creating reality
( 1 2 3 all )
Moonshoe 7,502 47 07/17/04 03:04 AM
by Source

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,615 topic views. 1 members, 0 guests and 11 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.