I know this isn't your argument. That is one reason why I asked you to define "political justice".
I said nothing about "he may rightfully be killed". That invention is yours and doesn't appear in the author's position even by extrapolation.
This is exactly why I wanted a clarification of the term "political justice". The qualifier "political" necessarily implies the intervention of the state. As we are all aware, the state's only function is to coerce. If you resist to your utmost capacity doing what the state demands, the state will kill you.
But if we are speaking strictly in terms of what an individual should normally willingly do with no prompting by the state, then I certainly don't disagree that voluntarily giving a starving man some of my "excess" bread is acceptable -- always assuming I know enough about him to be sure I am not keeping alive an Adolf Hitler or Idi Amin or Ted Bundy or Saddam Hussein.
The fact that scuba diving is a voluntary action has relevance to some degree but that doesn't address the primary thrust of the argument. One could say that deciding to continue to exist is also a voluntary action because living can be hard work.
It is not necessary to the process of staying alive. As I pointed out, billions of humans survived quite handily without ever going scuba diving.
Indeed. And quite beside the point. The issue is survival, period.
Again, involving oneself voluntarily in risky and unnecessary activities means deliberately and knowingly placing oneself outside the realm of straightforward survival.
My analogy is a poor one but that alone doesn't destroy nor defeat the premise.
Fine. Let's just forget the whole scuba analogy then and address the premise of food.
Reverse your question. Rather than ask if it is "just" to decline to share one's belongings with another human, ask if it is "just" for a human to demand that others give him some of their belongings. Why does he feel they owe him something? What claim does he feel he has on their belongings?
But since the only air that was readily available to him was mine and I decided not to give him any I did deny him air, even though the air was in my possession.
No, you did not deny him "air". You "denied" him your air. This is not a subtle distinction at all -- it cuts to the very heart of the issue under discussion.
Seriously though, the application of any law and the sense of justice it is derived from are two separate, albeit related, issues. We are only considering what justice requires, not the application of it.
More accurately, the enforcement of it rather than the application of it. This is where the "political" aspect of the phrase "political justice" enters the picture.
But others would say your definition of 'freedom' is harsh in the sense that it violates what justice requires. Your definiton could be considered extreme.
There is nothing either "harsh" or "extreme" about it. It is an "either/or" situation. Either my belongings are mine or they are not. Modifiers such as "harsh" or "extreme" are irrelevant to the ethical principle involved.
The position you are arguing by proxy states that my belongings are not mine at all -- they are the belongings of any stray human (or group of humans) who judge themselves to be in greater "need" of them than I. In other words, my belongings are only "mine" if I am lucky enough to never encounter such humans. They (my belongings) are at best conditionally mine.
Once we get government (politics) involved, I can no longer even hope I never encounter such humans -- the government seeks me out on their behalf.
I too find it repugnant.
Then by all means give some of your belongings willingly to others. I do it all the time. But the fact that I do doesn't mean I must, and it doesn't change the validity of my points. My points would be as valid if I had never willingly given a scrap to anyone.
This may be but it appears to be hair splitting and is irrelevant to the issue at hand. Perhaps I am confused about it.
It is not hair splitting at all. You have no inherent right to exist. You do however have every right to attempt to continue to exist. I really don't know how to explain it more concisely than that.
Who said we didn't have that right? Certainly not the author and certainly not me. I think you have extrapolated a windmill there.
Do we have the right to retain our possessions?
Yes, obviously.
Do we have the right to retain our possessions and withhold them from a starving beggar?
Again, inarguably, yes, obviously.
Can we withhold those possessions from the beggar and not violate what justice requires?
This is the issue.
Then, again, we are not talking about "political justice", we are talking about some other form of justice. See why definition of terms is so key?
Do you then agree that giving of an abundance of your belongings to humans beings is a good thing to do?
In some circumstances, to freely give some humans some portion of some of my belongings would not harm me and may even be beneficial to me (even if only to the point of soothing my conscience), yes. But I am the one who must decide which circumstances, which humans, and how much of which belongings.
I have said absolutely nothing about force in so far as the author's premise is concerned. And neither did he. It is most decidedly not what we are discussing.
Maybe he has not said it in so many words. But do his statements imply it? What does he believe should be done to people who refuse to give up any of their belongings?
This is why it's difficult to argue by remote control.
But the author's point is that withholding your abundant goods from another in dire straits constitutes a violation of justice.
Then he needs to provide a definition of "justice" that he agrees to stick with throughout the entire argument. If we withdraw the modifier "political" from the phrase "political justice", in essence all he is saying is that a human -- in order to be judged "just" by his fellows -- must indulge in charitable actions. Or to reverse it, a human who refuses to indulge in charitable actions is to be judged an "unjust" human.
Presumably such "unjust" humans are to be looked down upon and vilified. I have no problem with that. Where I would have a problem is if he were to extend this social ostracization (i.e. shunning or name-calling) to the world of the physical -- forcibly seizing his belongings.
pinky
--------------------
|