Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
The Buddha & Shrooms
    #1644600 -

I posted this in another thread and realized it
might be interesting enough to warant it's own
thread. I'm curious what people think about this...
I recently read that historians say Buddha died due to
poisioning by either meat or a mushroom...
I thought Buddha was a vegetarian, but no matter, my point
is that perhaps Buddha "attained elightenment" while
munching on some Portabellas under the Bodi tree...
perhaps he was a regular shroom consumer and died
after eating a poisionous shroom that truely lead
to a state of no-self...
my deepest appologies to any Buddhists on the forum, I
don't mean any disrespect by these comments, I think
Buddha was the most evolved human that ever blessed
the planet, but I just wanted to point out that it might
have had something to do with shrooms, and add some levity.


--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Buddha & Shrooms [Re: lucid]
    #1644812 -

I was just going to reply in the other thread, before finding this post...

When I first read about how Buddha died, I thought hmm: could it have been a misidentification of magic mushrooms? But then I thought, if Buddha was accustomed to shrooming, why are there no hints of this before he died? He wasn't secretive about his experiences otherwise, so it seems reasonable that he should have told people about it. Or?

And regarding vegetarianism:

Buddha wasn't a vegetarian, but I suspect that he thought that letting go of the desire to eat meat was good training for monks, because it taught them at the same time that you should avoid killing and that harboring ill-will against other life forms is bad for spiritual progress. I think this got out of hand, and that people later became obsessive vegetarians without knowing the original purpose. After all, Buddha knew that we are animals and that animals eat meat. Even vegetables are sacred life forms for that matter, but we kill vegetables and maim them every day in order to stay alive. That's just part of the suffering of life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Buddha & Shrooms [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1644838 -

True, I agree about the shroom point, I was thinking the same.
If he consumed shrooms on a regular basis it would probably
have been well known and the radically different psychadellic
states documented or at least observed and commented on.
I don't rememember any stories or accounts where the Buddha
went into strange traces. Since nature was considered sacred
and there was no taboo on shrooms, consumption would probably
have been advocated as well (such as in Shamanistic traditions).
Although, as I mentioned in the other thread, there do seem
to be such accounts in Sufi stories.


--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Buddha & Shrooms [Re: lucid]
    #1645006 -

if the Buddha had reached enlightenment after doing shrooms, would you think any less of him?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Buddha & Shrooms [Re: lucid]
    #1645022 -

poet gary snyder talks about buddha's death...
"pig's ear" is a name for some mushrooms in northern india...
some have suggested theat it was a massive overdose of Amanita muscaria --- which was certainly tied into old aryan culture (from the soma cult of the rg veda...)
the buddha ate all the "pigs ear" stuff in the dish & his disciples got to eat the rice...
last words: "be a lamp unto yourself; work out your own salvation with diligence"


--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Buddha & Shrooms [Re: gnrm23]
    #1645056 -

Of course, there is the story of Ram Dass, when he was in India trying to find answers. He gave the guru like three doses of acid, and they didn't do anything to him. I don't know, it seems related..
Peace.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Buddha & Shrooms [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1645273 -

>if the Buddha had reached enlightenment after doing shrooms, would
>you think any less of him?
most certainly not, but it would bring into question whether
"enlightenment" (as the Buddha percieved/didn't percieve it)
is possible without psychedelics - wouldn't u agree ?


--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Poll:Shrooms and Enlightenment Cosmic_Monkey 1,622 12 11/01/02 10:45 AM
by Earth_Droid
* If you think you will find enlightenment in a drug...
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Scarfmeister 8,801 65 06/19/03 03:14 PM
by Grav
* will any of us reach enlightenment?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Sole_Worthy 6,545 61 10/28/05 10:03 PM
by dblaney
* Shrooms: Divine Insight or Delusions of Grandeur?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Sclorch 10,476 86 04/29/03 04:04 AM
by Shroomism
* The Buddha Holds Up A Flower Anonymous 865 8 12/15/02 07:10 AM
by 11polakie11
* Are hippies enlightened?
( 1 2 3 all )
Dogomush 6,234 49 11/04/03 05:46 AM
by Anonymous
* Enlightenment remains mntlfngrs 490 2 07/12/03 06:23 AM
by mntlfngrs
* Enlightenment remains mntlfngrs 606 2 10/23/03 02:12 AM
by mntlfngrs

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
3,987 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 24 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.