Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |  [ show all ]
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: TTT]
    #13025632 -

Build your own!



IT's obviously not a traditional one but you'll get the basic idea of it.


--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: TTT]
    #13025633 -

TTT said:
I hope so too. I love old weapons.



my daughter and I made a catapult... I'm a fun dad

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Kada]
    #13025636 -

Kada said:
Atlatl's are awesome! Do you own those or is that a random pic? Looks like your kids from previous pictures.




nope, not mine but they're so easy to make, the hard part is making darts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: marmarlun]
    #13025647 -

Only something like 25% of all calories grown are actually consumed by humans....
Most goes to feeding livestock which return only 10% of the calories in the form of flesh.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Kada]
    #13025654 -

Kada said:
Build your own!



IT's obviously not a traditional one but you'll get the basic idea of it.



:awehigh:

Oh man that will be a fun project. Once I get a method down I'll totally try and make it without modern technology.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: drawde]
    #13025661 -

where is that information sourced from because I've actually seen a farm
before and know that cattle arent fed strictly grains, they feed on grass
for most of their lives and pasture cant really be considered to be 'grown'
unlike grains which involve a great deal of work to cultivate

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13025704 -

Go on the USDA website and they have statistics for corn and grain usage.

You cant seriously think all the beef produced in the U.S. is fed on grass.
Most is fed corn, which cattle are not meant to eat. This is why they have to pump them full of antibiotics because they are so sickly from eating corn.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: TeamAmerica]
    #13025733 -

Druggie04 said:
I find a lot of debates/discussions are better online, but this isn't one of them.

When I have this discussion with friends their logic never prevails, and they have to concede it as a preference.

That's probably because just stating the fact that you are vegetarian opens you up for a multitude of hated mental judgments against the person.In other words, a black man could not convince a KKK member that he is an equal.

I could debate in person just as well...I understand a lot of facts im not just shitting it out my ass, .
:shrug:

There is a lot that is wrong with the way our society treats and consumes meat, but the act in .and of itself is in no way wrong, immoral, unhealthy, or otherwise bad.  Moderation in everything, including what you eat.  I eat mostly veggies, but the occasional meat is AWESOME, especially when I caught and harvested it myself in a humane way from a not over-harvested source. I agree, and this is pretty much my point.





That comment wasn't meant to be directed at you specifically, just the thread in general.  If you agree with my last statement then we would have no debate in person.

I don't harbor any hatred for non meat eaters, I just have yet to hear a good reason to subscribe completely to that mindset.  Meat can be healthy, humane, and sustainable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: drawde]
    #13025756 -

it's
drawde said:
Go on the USDA website and they have statistics for corn and grain usage.

You cant seriously think all the beef produced in the U.S. is fed on grass.
Most is fed corn, which cattle are not meant to eat. This is why they have to pump them full of antibiotics because they are so sickly from eating corn.




I'm a farmer, I live in an area with a lot of beef production, and I can
honestly say that I've never seen these factory farms that vegetarians
and vegans always talk about, I see large herds of cattle roaming
pastures, cattle are fed grain but it's not all they eat, it's less than
10% of their diet and these farmers arent pumping all their cows full of
antibiotics because they know that it's counter productive, a few shots
at a young age and a few more a few months before being sent to a feed
lot for finishing, feed lots are what you like to imagine as a factory farm

why would farmers be harvesting hundreds of tons of hay every summer if
they arent feeding it to the cattle, why have all that acerage if
they're supposed to be kept in metal buildings and fed corn? what you
describe is not a means for farmers to make any profit because it's just
not economically feasible... maybe you should actually get out to a farm
sometime and see what the real deal is

do these cows look unhealthy, they're  typical of cattle farms






Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13025766 -

MOOO COWS! I love cows.


Hey Pris, do they have mobile slaughter houses in your area? My mother is friends with a cattle farmer and she is trying to help get more mobile slaughter houses in their state. I think its a great idea. There isn't the stressful transportation to a place they know they'll die at. They get to die in the pasture and don't expect it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13025778 -

From where abouts do you draw all these assumptions on people that they have never been to a farm or (fill in the blank)?

I know that there is beef raised the way you described, and indeed its the way it should be done, but you seriously think that there is not a massive market share of feedlot, corn fed beef?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: TTT]
    #13025785 -

SURPRISE ATTACK!

dont know, I have a neighbor that does most of mine for me, it helps him
and saves me the hassle plus he makes me a shitload of smoked meats,
sausages and produces the best bacon I've ever had

I do know that the mobile services are a great money maker and they're
convenient as hell for families that are only dealing with slaughtering a
couple of cows, they're terrible for large scale unless the farmer has
refrigeration facilities, most of those sell the cattle at auction and the
buyer is simply in it to buy/slaughter/sell meat

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: drawde]
    #13025826 -

drawde said:
From where abouts do you draw all these assumptions on people that they have never been to a farm or (fill in the blank)?



based on your statements it shows you've not been around it

Quote:
I know that there is beef raised the way you described, and indeed its the way it should be done, but you seriously think that there is not a massive market share of feedlot, corn fed beef?



the vast majority of beef in the US is raised on grass, the difference
in the 'grass fed' and 'grain fed' is that feedlot where they're fed far
more than corn, they also get waste from other agricultural processes
like sugar beet processing. even the farmers growing grain to feed their
cattle only use it for a supplement, know what else they eat, the silage
from harvesting the grains

the only cattle I'm aware of that are being fed nothing but grains are
the ones being raised as kobe style or kobe beef and to give you an
example of the costs, anywhere from $60 to $400/lb for the meat as
opposed to $2-$10/lb that you'd normally pay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: marmarlun]
    #13025865 -

marmarlun said:
eh, millions of animals are killed every year during the farming of crops.

If you eat anything that you do not produce yourself, be it meat or otherwise, ANIMALS DIED IN THE PROCESS.

So don't argue moral grounds if you are a vegetarian, because to get any type of grain/wheat on your plate, tons of gophers get slaughtered. So it's ok to kill them for grain, but not cows for meat?



This is just unintelligent... Millions of animals are being farmed for their meat...

Tons of gophers get slaughtered? :picard:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: TeamAmerica]
    #13025877 -

Can you truly love nature and still eat carrots?


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: feifen]
    #13025882 -

feifen said:
TeamAmerica,

You honestly do not know what the fuck you are talking about...

And you honestly DO? :lol:

you keep making ridiculous claims without any real knowledge behind this subject No

It IS our meat consumption that directly reflects our evolution, you think we evolve from eating plants? Hell no.

No I think it is mystery for the most part, but I dont think we evolved because we ate meat....that is just as ridiculous as a claim.






So because we have BIOLOGICAL want/need for protein, we have an addiction?

We have a biological need for protein yes...but this does not have to come from meat obviously...I think it is debatable whether we have biological NEED for meat...ITS FUNNY because you guys get mad when I hammer the nail on your meat eating addictions, im not trying to tell you to quite, im just asking you to realize without going through denial like every other person on this thread.

Edited by TeamAmerica (08/09/10 01:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: TeamAmerica]
    #13025941 -

TeamAmerica said:
im not trying to tell you to quite, im just asking you to realize without going through denial like every other person on this thread.



*I'm
*quit

seems the fruits arent doing much for that brain power

it's a shame you cant realize what you believe we need to realize, hell,
you cant even see facts, the lack of meat is retarding your thoughts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13025944 -

Prisoner#1 said:
TeamAmerica said:
Well again you have paid no attention...The aryans are the ones that wrote the vedas...and the Vedas are what passed down and ultimately created the Hindu teachings...BTW Buddhism sprung out of and is ultimately related to the Hindu culture. Vegetarianism WAS practiced by the Aryans...I NEVER SAID THEY CONDEMNED MEAT EATING



it's difficult to pay attention to so much misleading vagueness
how about "most people arent good with history" since the vedic were around 1700BC, not 7000 years ago and the hindu started developing their beliefs around 300BC, making it less than 2500 years. the hinu also dont forbid eating meat as many are infact omnivores... these are just a few of the very misleading statements you've made

You are even more misleading...You point at the fact that the aryans did not condemn meat eating like its a justification for you...which I never said they didn't I said they practiced vegetarianism.

...How much sense would it make for the Vedic teachings to be AFTER the hindu culture? The vedas were an orally passed down tradition, coming from the aryans which flourished more than 7000 years ago in 5000 b.c...Do you think the vedas just came out of no where? It was already part of their culture, so you again you have proved nothing...

BUT my mistake...It seems that the Rig vedas were started to be written around 1300 b.c when they invaded India which is understandable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13025950 -

Quote:
80% of corn, 95% oats, altogether 56% of all agriculture inU.S.A. land used for beef production. 260 million acres of forest have been cleared for meat-based diet. “Divine Nature” by Michael A. Cremo & Mukunda Goswami Note: This book can be found in Library of Congress



Quote:
According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, only about 30 percent of the antibiotics used in the U.S. are administered to people to treat diseases. The other 70 percent, the vast majority, are administered to U.S. livestock, primarily to compensate for the unnatural and unhealthy conditions of factory farming. “Industrial livestock systems,” the organization concludes, “are hog heaven for resistant bacteria.”




Quote:
Traditionally, all beef was grassfed beef, but in the United States today what is commercially available is almost all feedlot beef. The reason? It’s faster, and so more profitable. Seventy-five years ago, steers were 4 or 5 years old at slaughter. Today, they are 14 or 16 months. You can’t take a beef calf from a birth weight of 80 pounds to 1,200 pounds in a little more than a year on grass. It takes enormous quantities of corn, protein supplements, antibiotics and other drugs, including growth hormones.




--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can you truly be an animal lover... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13026004 -

WTF does McKenna and mushrooms have to do with vegetarian diet, it's not like he ate mushrooms 7000 years ago and suddenly told the world to stop eating meat, you again deny the fact as put forth through historical evidence, scientific testing of bone and even coprolites  that show that man and his predecessors have always eaten meat in every single culture that they've studied

Again you miss the point all together, and my analogy to your words, but thats expected...

The Mckenna theory states that one million years ago our ancestors were ingesting Psilocybin mushrooms as part of their festivals, and were doing on a daily basis...Now psilocybin is a nuero transmitter, almost identical to serotonin, he states that such a powerful chemical is the missing link in brain size...MY WHOLE POINT is that this is THEORETICAL, and I do not take to much weight with that theory, but I also do not believe it was Meat instead of Mushrooms...Both are about equally as shaky of a theory.


Quote:
incorrect, the incisors and bicuspids are in fact sharp, ideal for
ripping, shearing and tearing, the canines you're trying to compare them

LOL..now you are just in denial which is expected...in what way could we OR our neanderthal ancestors use FLAT teeth to rip flesh? The whole point is that their increased vegetarian diet IS WRITTEN IN THEIR TOOTH STRUCTURE, WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT?
like the Sumerians being
vegetarians, they revered the animals but they still ate meat or trying
to lead us to believe the hindu are all vegetarians

Actually this is interesting I was thinking about this last night...In the Hebrew bible in genesis when it talks about the vegetarian diet of humans in the Garden of Eden...Isnt it interesting that the Hebrews got this story from the Sumerians? So in fact...even though I never really claimed the Sumerians had practices of vegetarianism...I might be right on.

you compare apples to automobiles and expect to come to sound conclusions

Apples to automobiles? :picard: hardly


Quote:
our direct ancestors, Homo neanderthalensis were almost exclusively meat eaters again, chime in with some actual evidence of your claims

Almost exclusively meat eaters? I think this is debatable...But yes im sure they hunted.



it's not debatable as it's been proven, that's what anthropologists do,

Its not debatable that the missing link is meat consumption? :lol:

Actually that is quite debatable...


again you simply deny the facts zzzz still waiting for those "facts"and dismiss them because they dont fit
the bill for your beliefs, just because you dont want to believe it
doesnt make it false Dont be a hypocrite!

show us the mighty brain power of the vegetarian and learn to properly
use the quote function so I dont have to go through and clean up this
crap to make it possible to follow LOL. you have cleaned NOTHING.



Edited by TeamAmerica (08/09/10 11:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* German inventor's "cat fuel" angers animal lovers lonestar2004 1,590 7 09/14/05 11:18 AM
by Prosgeopax
* Advice Needed. Animal Abuse. Deranged Friend? Sleepless...
( 1 2 all )
absolute zero 5,409 29 07/06/06 10:28 AM
by absolute zero
* vegetarians are killing animals
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
XUL 11,103 82 06/09/05 08:02 AM
by looner2
* Decided to go vegetarian
( 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 all )
tomk 20,827 221 05/22/05 03:09 PM
by Delyrium
* Vegetarianism?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
silversoul7 7,502 65 02/25/04 07:57 AM
by shroomsi8
* Thinking about becoming vegetarian....
( 1 2 all )
Thin White Duke 4,797 31 11/28/04 08:40 PM
by Adom
* How to put a vegetarian in their place
( 1 2 3 all )
Brewmaster 4,105 46 12/28/06 04:29 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* vegetarians
( 1 2 3 4 all )
run_rabbit_run 4,518 62 05/25/06 01:12 AM
by eligal

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
6,532 topic views. 1 members, 76 guests and 244 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.