Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
The Idea of Evolution is BS
    #746849 - 07/14/02 10:43 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineerectronik

Loc: zeitung unter den See
Re: The Idea of Evolution is BS [Re: World Spirit]
    #746863 - 07/14/02 10:51 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, you've found yourself in a very dark, dank, intellectual alleyway and you're all alone. Somebuddy git 'em, I've done this way too much in church youth groups growing up.

--------------------
"Hallucinogens can be like talking to a really talented salesman: beware of what you can sell yourself." - J.L.C.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Idea of Evolution is BS [Re: erectronik]
    #746866 - 07/14/02 10:53 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #746876 - 07/14/02 11:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If humans are an evolved species that originated as monkeys, why are there still tons of monkeys?
I dunno. Maybe becuase humans are not in direct compitition with "monkeys" You mean apes right?

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#746879 - 07/14/02 11:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Why are there no monkeys even closely resembling humans? In other words, one would think that there would be some species in mid-evolution or at the cycle of almost human, having attributes that are almost identical to the human model. Yet there are none, despite dna comparisons and things here and there that are too vague too accept. I'm talking about blatant, obvious attributes.
There were some other homos, such as homo erectus that have died out, but there is evidence of.
Blatant obvious attributes? How about a snake having a pelvic bone. Obviously in the course of evelution, the snake lost it's legs but kept this extra bone.

Offlineerectronik

#746882 - 07/14/02 11:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

(I can't help it)

Are you familiar with the archeopteryx?
A creature God decided to let go extinct, in his mysterious way, and which was as close to being smack dab in the middle of reptile and bird as we're gonna find.
Why did it go extinct? Biological evolution would tell us that random differences occuring in very, very tiny steps, (very, very tiny), over a long, long time produced something that had the beneficial, adaptive characteristics of the archeopteryx, but in a more efficient form, thus competing with it in its own territory, the air, and "beating" it, so to speak. By "beating", I mean getting all the food, mates, etc. If you can't survive, you can't survive to reproduce and spread your genes, thus you go extinct. Not so mysterious, is it?

The same thing happened with early hominids and modern humans.

Chimps don't count because they're too primitive to even compete with us. They are animals and have an animal's niche on earth.
We won! That's why there's no cavemen hanging around, coming on talk-shows with scientists to prove evolution right.

Although I do believe some may be unfrozen and made to be lawyers...

--------------------
"Hallucinogens can be like talking to a really talented salesman: beware of what you can sell yourself." - J.L.C.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Idea of Evolution is BS [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #746883 - 07/14/02 11:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#746886 - 07/14/02 11:10 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

How do you explain the statistical possibility of an ecosystem with thousands of different species coexisting as long as we have, without Someone getting all of this started at some point? In other words, don't you agree that all of this is quite contrived and setup?

No. With these many different species, each has found a unique way to survive... unless two or more species comes into compition with each other (either dicrect or indirect) the species is not going to dwindle. Then the species are going to adapt to different enviornments, and come less and less in competion with each other. This creates diversity, many organisms can survive with each other and depend on each other... This is how you get your many creatures coexisting. Nature find it's own balance through unique mechanisms.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #746887 - 07/14/02 11:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#746889 - 07/14/02 11:12 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>>How about a snake having a pelvic bone. Obviously in the course of evelution, the snake lost it's legs but kept this extra bone.
>Are you serious??
Yes, now are we going to have a discussion, or bullshit one-line retorts?

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #746892 - 07/14/02 11:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #746893 - 07/14/02 11:16 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #746897 - 07/14/02 11:18 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlineerectronik

#746899 - 07/14/02 11:20 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Erectronik, I don't think that is a parallel argument. Just because one species dominates another (or all) should not mean that species would not continue to evolve and go through various stages of evolution, if in fact evolution were true.

I said that the one who is being dominated is not surviving, thus they die. No more evolving. More and more death, and less and less birth, over time. Your answer was to a non-parallel argument, which I wasn't having. I explained evolution to you, and you didn't even thank me. Geez.

--------------------

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac
    #746900 - 07/14/02 11:20 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

It's true. Snakes have pelvic bones.

Also, if you look at skeletons from the past from such species as Homo erectus, Australopethicus (Lucy found in Etheopia, I think) and such.. you can see the change of bone structure throughout time. From the first known human (which VREY closely resembles a monkey) to us, now. It's obvious.. 

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #746901 - 07/14/02 11:21 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlineerectronik

#746905 - 07/14/02 11:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

think about the answers you got here today, really. I think they should give you some trouble, which is good. There are plenty of devout christians who accept evolution as true. I don't know who's been telling you what (I've heard ideas like "where's the middle-men" arguement, etc, before) , but think for yourself, and if you still agree with those others after thinking through, then so be it.

One last thought:
God is all powerful, right?
And he "works in mysterious ways" that we as humans cannot understand or explain fully, so,
Why shouldn't God be allowed to use evolution as his creative force. Shit, he's God!

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #746908 - 07/14/02 11:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinectsbgx

#746910 - 07/14/02 11:35 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

So what do you think happened ? why are we here? whether you believe God made this energy and matter all within a few days (what is a day to God?) or whether you think it's like a project that has taken a bit longer(billions of years) with laws and rules that determine what will happen next. It's all the same to me in a spiritual sense. There still remains a mysterious force within everything invisible for the most part. I guess my point is what you believe happened in the past doesn't change what is right now.
History does not repeat itself.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #746915 - 07/14/02 11:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

First, I would like to say that I am a scientist and I do believe in the theory of evolution. This does not, however, mean that I do not believe in a God, or Supreme Being. Many scientists who believe in the theory of evolution are also devout religious people.
Second, I would like to say that before you say something like "the idea of evolution is BS," you should really learn more about what you are talking about. I will do my best to enlighten you on Darwin's theories.

Darwin's theory of evolution is now over 130 years old. Darwinism encompasses several different, although mutually compatible, theories. Many respectable scientists argue that Darwinism should be viewed as five major theories. These five theories have somewhat different origins and different fates and cannot be discussed accurately as if they were only a single statement.
The theories are:
1. Perpetual change
2. Common descent
3. Multiplication of species
4. Gradualism
5. Natural selection

The first three theories are genearlly accepted as having universal application throughout the living world. The theories of gradualism and natural selection are controversial among evolutionists. Gradualism and natural selection are clearly part of the evolutionary process, but they might not be as pervasive as Darwin thought. Legitimate controversies regarding gradualism and nautral selection often are misrepresented by creationists as challenges to the first three theories, whose validity is strongly supported by all relevant facts.

1. Perpetual Change. This is a basic theory of evolution on which the others are based. It states that the living world is neither constant nor perpetually cycling, but is always changing. The properties of organisms undergo modification across generations throughout time. Perpetual change is documented by the fossil record, which clearly refutes creationists' claims for a recent origin of all living forms. Because it has withstood repeated testing and is supported by an overwhelming number of observations (fossil records, etc.), we now regard perpetual change as a scientific fact.

2. Common Descent. The second Darwinian theory, common descent, states that all forms of life descended from a common ancestor through a branching of lineages. The opposing argument, that the different forms of life arose independently and descended to the present in linear, unbrached genealogies, has been refuted by comparative studies of organismal form, cell structure, and macromolecular structures (including those of the genetic material, DNA). All of these studies confirm the theory that life's history has the structure of a branching evolutionary tree. Species that share relatively recent common ancestry have more similar features at all levels than do species that have only an ancient common ancestry.

3. Multiplication of Species. Darwin's third theory states that the evolutionary process produces new species by the splitting and transformation of older ones. Species are now generally viewed as reproductively distinct populations of organisms that usually but not always differ from each other in organismal form. Once species are fully formed, interbreeding does not occur among members of different species. Evolutionsists generally agree that the splitting and transformation of lineages produce new species, although much controversy remains concerning the details of this process and the precise meaning of the term "species".

4. Gradualism. Darwin's theory of gradualism states that the large differences in anatomical traits that characterize different species originate by accumulation of many small incremental changes over very long periods of time. This theory opposes the notion that large anatomical differences arise by sudden genetic changes. This theory is important because genetic changes having very large effects on the organism are nonethless sufficiently beneficial to be favored by natural selection. Therefore, although gradual evolution is known to occur, it may not explain the origin of all structural differences that we observe among species.

5. Natural selection. Natural selection explains why organisms are constructed to meet the demands of their environments, a phenomenon called adaptation. This theory describes a natural process by which populations accumulate favorable characteristics throughout long periods of evolutionary time. Adaptation was viewed previously as strong evidence against evolution. Darwin's theory of natural selection was therefore important for convincing people that a natural process, capable of being studied scientifically, could produce new adaptations and new species. Demonstration that natural processes could produce adaptation was important to the eventual acceptance of all five Darwinian theories. Darwin developed his theory of natural selection as a series of five observations and three inferences from them:

Observation 1: Organisms have great potential fertility.
Observation 2: Natural populations normally remain constant in size, except for minor fluxuations.
Observation 3: Natural resources are limited.
Inference 1- There exists a continuing struggle for existence among members of a population.
Observation 4: All organisms show variation.
Observation 5: Variation is heritable.
Inference 2- There is differential survival and reproduction among varying organisms in a population.
Inference 3: Over many generations, differentieal survival and reproduction generate new adaptations and new species.

In summary, the fact that these theories have been around for over 130 years and are continuing to be validated and confirmed by new technology and observations, I believe, is proof enough that the statement "the idea of evolution is BS" is not only ignorant, but false.
At the same time, evolution does not discount the idea of a God or Supreme Being. In the second part of Darwin's theory, "common descent," he propsed that all plants and animals have descended from "some one form into which life was first breathed." Thus, believing in evolution does not mean you do not believe in God.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order