Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Post deleted by Moe Howard
    #450644 - 11/07/01 08:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIshmael
enthusiast

Re: desire and greed [Re: Anonymous]
    #450789 - 11/07/01 09:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

When I am hungry, I eat. When I am full, I shit. When I am tired I sleep. This is life. The rest of the things that go along with what we as modern people refer to our individual 'lives'...those things are usually just games.

When a drug addict uses a drug to forget his problems, it is apparent to everyone that sooner or later that at a continued dosage, the addict will develope a 'tolerance' for his drug. His system will aclimate to the drug and in order to reach the desired previous effect, he'll have to increase his dosage. This can be considered an affect of the human body's ability to adapt to its environment. Tolerance is a kind of immunity which allows the body to be in contact with a harmful agent and yet continue to function. But it doesn't only apply to drugs.

You have your CD and you listen to it and it makes you happy...for a while. Then it begins to be repetitive, the quaintness of it is lost, it doesn't "do it" for you anymore.

You have your job and your goals, and when you attain one of your goals, you're happy...for a while. Then the achieved goal becomes old...it doesn't "do it" for you anymore. You have to move on to a loftier goal.

This isn't about desire. Desire is simply wanting something. Greed is wanting as much of everything as you can get your hands upon. What you're talking about isn't so much either...it is automatic...it's compulsion. And another word for compulsion is addiction.

To understand what you might be 'addicted' to, you have to understand what "It" is...when a drug "Does It" for the drug user, when the CD "Does it" for the listener...what is the "IT"? What is "It" actually "Doing"? What is the desired effect behind all of these activities?

There is no absolute answer for everyone, but I can tell you what the answer seems to be for a majority of people. "Doing It" is simply blocking out reality. Yes, when you listen to your music it is offering you a reprieve from the tedium of life. Yes, when you go to work and assess your goals, those goals are offering you a reprieve from the tedium of life.

Why in the world would one want a reprieve from life? Because existance seems so /empty/ and superficial. And if we're not constatly distracted then we might get a glimpse of that flesh beneath the skin. If we're not constantly in a state of reprieve, reverie, distraction or entertainment...then we see the world. And we see how hallow the whole thing is. We're blocking out the emptiness because life is supposed to be 'FULL'! And so, in compensation for what we find in relation to what we expect to find, we start buying CDs en-masse, stuff ourselves full of food, bury ourselves into our jobs...to keep ourselves /feeling/ full.

But the emptiness is only the superficial skin of reality. Its the skin that civilization stretches across what is actually there because it is the skin, the perception, that keeps everyone consuming, keeps the economy going and keeps rich men rich. The 'Emptiness' is our fear. It is our fear of what we have not been taught to understand...our true nature. The true nature of existance.

But you /can/ get past the emptiness, past the skin...people have done it before you and continue to do it today. It is this process which is identified as enlightenment, illumination and rapture. And it is not some esoteric abstraction, its not some lofty unattainable goal reserved for monks and embodiments of dieties like Jesus or Buddah or Mohammed. Knowing and merging with reality is REAL LIFE. And it's not hard. Getting over your addictions is hard. But touching god...that's easy.

Ish

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    #450792 - 11/07/01 09:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

BigIdiot,
I think you stated it perfectly that indulgence only leads to more indulgence or even dependant. Which I believe might be the root of all greed now that you have mentioned it or i could be wrong. It could be a natural process. I once had a powerfull experience where an acid trip turned for the worse and all i could see in my vision was the word GREED(In all Caps) spelled larger than I could ever fathom, clear as the summer sun. It felt quite odd and I was soon overwhelmed with the guilt of all humanity. I think this may have been triggered by my subconscious from over indulging on the pot that day. But no worries I rode it out, sort of flowed into it and it was followed by a pleasant rebirth experience.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

OfflineRenegade
Stranger
    #450796 - 11/07/01 09:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I guess it's natural to desire what you don't have.

It's part of being human: the man who has everything has nowhere else to go. We need desire (in the form of Schopenhauer's will) to make this existence meaningful. What a boring existence it would be otherwise. :)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology