Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Office Space Of Enlightenment
    #4483045 -

I was watching the movie Office Space today(for those who don't know of it, I believe its a great movie) and it got to the part where Peter is hypnotized into that "elightened" state where he doesn't have a worry or care. And I got to thinking how great it would be if everybody could have that done to them how great the world would be from my perspective. But to get to the point I was wondering if anyone believes that someone could attain that perspective on life either through hypnosis or meditation or some other method, and input is welcome.

Peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Bumser10]
    #4483112 -

It is easy to attain that guys perspective...just stop giving a fuck about anyone but yourself. His veiw, while humorous, was not enlightened. He just decided to do what he wanted while everyone else be damned.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4483418 -

Huehuecoyotl said:
It is easy to attain that guys perspective...just stop giving a fuck about anyone but yourself. His veiw, while humorous, was not enlightened. He just decided to do what he wanted while everyone else be damned.



Thats NOT what enlightenment is? :confused:


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4484424 -

*cough* Some people arent tied to others, and therefore have the luxury of not having to care a whole lot more :tongue:

Is it selfish to decide not to wed or have children? Some people tell me yes. But I dont really give a fuck what they have to say.


--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: psyka]
    #4484451 -

You can care about others without being "tied" to them. In fact real caring has no ties or binding. It is called unconditional regard or love. I believe it is an aspect of enlightenment.

It is not selfish in any negative sense to forgo marriage or children. What is selfish, IMO, is to protect oneself from loving and sharing out of fear of loss. :mushroom2:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: psyka]
    #4484460 -

psyka said:
*cough* Some people arent tied to others, and therefore have the luxury of not having to care a whole lot more :tongue:



I understand your point.  Do you have any friends?  Any family?  Any person you can think of, who might distract you in any way from yourself?  If so, you're not quite "enlightened" (although I don't agree with that definition of the term.)  If NOT, there's another term for that- Nacisism.

(Please note this isn't a flame, just using what you said as an example  :smirk:)


--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Icelander]
    #4484466 -

"You can care about others without being "tied" to them. In fact real caring has no ties or binding. It is called unconditional regard or love. I believe it is an aspect of enlightenment."

Agreed, but you should still have respect for others and the protagonist in "Office Space" had no respect for anyone and engaged himself in a plan to steal from someone else while justifying it as revenge. He was not enlightened. I will say that it is a great movie.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4484471 -

I don't think I saw the movie Hue.  :confused: And of course I agree with you.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (08/02/05 09:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4484483 -

Uhmm...yea, I'm still working on the whole "love" thing.

I'd like to see how people here, who proclaim "love" so much, handle people in their everyday life. Me? I simply don't. I know what I must do and I do it; even my stubborn, rage-filled boss learned this.

I learned most people just flat out suck, but it really isnt their fault.


--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: psyka]
    #4484544 -

psyka said:
Me? I simply don't.....I learned most people just flat out suck, but it really isnt their fault.



Personally, I would begin to interact with these people in an open and positive manner that would possibly give them some new experience and perspective that they could begin to utilize to change their set thought patterns and behavior, and I would begin to regard them as fellow beings on the same path. We choose the manner in which we interact with others, and I personally prefer to not completely shut myself from others and define them in a negative way. :grin: To do so would not be beneficial for anyone involved. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4484597 -

I'm very open and positive. I just dont get involved in their imaginary struggles. Hell, I'm friendly to everyone. You misunderstand, as I mispronounce my thoughts.


--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Icelander]
    #4484635 -

Icelander said:
I don't think I saw the movie 



If you've ever worked in an "office" environment for a large company (or known someone who has), you will LOVE this movie.  :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: MOTH]
    #4484711 -

I haven't but I think I'll see it anyway.Someone is always saying something good about it. :thumbup:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Icelander]
    #4484725 -

My husband says that everyone at Dell ALWAYS makes jokes about Office Space. Guess it helps them get through the doldrums.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: MOTH]
    #4484866 -

Yeah, it is a great movie even if you dont work in a Office Space type enviroment. Gave me a good appreciation for people who really do have to work like that and deal with that kind of boredom. And I realize that it isnt true enlightenment going on in the movie but I was saying that he was enlightened from the previous way of thinking and how things should be.

Peace

Edited by Bumser10 (08/02/05 12:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: psyka]
    #4484890 -

psyka said:
I'm very open and positive. I just dont get involved in their imaginary struggles. Hell, I'm friendly to everyone.



Well, that's a different story, then. :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Bumser10]
    #4484893 -

I was saying that he was enlightened from the previous way of thinking and how things should be.

I don't think his opinion changed at all, he just stopped feeling any sense of responsibility. He hated work before he was hypnotized, and he hated it afterwards.

If I tore out the part of your brain that made you feel stress when you had things that needed getting done, would you be enlightened, or just numbed to a certain sensation?

And is that the way things should be? Would the world really be a better place if nobody ever felt any need to do anything but lay back and relax?


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Phluck]
    #4485033 -

Phluck said:
Would the world really be a better place if nobody ever felt any need to do anything but lay back and relax?



I heard there's a dangerous drug out there called marijuana that has just such an effect on people. I propose that it be banned immediately.


--------------------

Edited by Paradigm (08/02/05 01:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: Phluck]
    #4485126 -

Quote:
Phluck said:
Would the world really be a better place if nobody ever felt any need to do anything but lay back and relax?




Define better?

If people from the beginning of time were always calm and relaxed, think of how much further ahead we would be and how peaceful the world would be.

Whats the opposite of being in a relaxed state? Agitation, hostility, aggression oppression and resistance.

Resistance is a key word that opposes relaxation. Not being relaxed I think has held us back from realizing our individual and collective potential more then being relaxed does.

Hostile, agitated, aggressive types use their time and energy to oppress others and the others use their time and energy to put up resistance. Nothing gets accomplished but war and power struggles.

Energy is wasted on oppression and resistance when it could be spent on peaceful progress if it remains relaxed.

Energy being at ease with itself makes things go easier.

Energy being at war and in power struggles with itself makes life a struggle.

I have some painting to go do regarding a room makeover. If I become agitated with the project as I would rather be sunning by the pool, I will put resistance up to it and never get it done or may feel hostile and do a sloppy job and fuck it up creating further struggle for myself having to fix it.

I can remain at peace with my decision to do the work, stay relaxxed and go paint it and will probably do a flawless job if I stay relax and have it done much faster.

How can you argue against the benefits of being in a relaxed and peaceful state?


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Office Space Of Enlightenment [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4485321 -

This is a total strawman.

I said,

"Would the world really be a better place if nobody ever felt any need to do anything but lay back and relax? "

You took it to mean "Would the world really be a better place if people were more relaxed and peaceful?"

Do you see the difference in the two statements?


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Everyday Enlightenment RebelSteve33 782 4 06/17/03 03:37 PM
by tak_old
* Enlightenment: The fast Way.
( 1 2 3 all )
Nomad 6,857 46 06/28/02 10:13 PM
by Catalysis
* Site about Yoga,Krishna, meditation, relaxation, the Maha Mantra, Enlightenment and Bhakti naradadas 513 2 10/23/04 04:18 PM
by Blastrid
* Enlightenment Cant be reached
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
EvilGir 9,586 83 04/17/16 11:33 PM
by circastes
* Relaxing... fireworks_godS 715 2 11/03/03 04:14 PM
by fireworks_god
* feel rather enlightened. like i know too much.
( 1 2 all )
NiGGy 3,850 28 03/11/03 07:45 AM
by Anonymous
* Time ,Space and Knowlege whiterasta 1,128 8 10/31/02 12:17 AM
by Anonymous
* drugs and spirituality/enlightenment
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
skystone 11,367 119 11/21/04 07:38 PM
by TYL3R

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
3,672 topic views. 0 members, 24 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.