Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Aztek GoatBecoming Eagle

Loc: BC, Canada
    #4293716 - 06/14/05 01:31 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This is an essay I wrote for school explaining what art is to me, and why it is a key factor to living the healthy lifestyle I strive for.

Keep in mind that I am an 18 year old kid (is this just insecurity?). :tongue: I would appreciate  any opinions, any input, any critique, any criticism, or any praise. :smile:

As I grow older, I realize that with each step, the story I am writing becomes more complete. I become more who I am (and will be) by the time I reach my end. With each new experience, a hundred doors are opened and a few doors are closed. I find that individualism is a complete paradox. The older we become we become more defined as an individual, yet we also lead a life that appears similar to the lives of the majority of people. Search hard enough within anyone, and there will be a defined, authentic, individual. But with only a single glance there will be nothing but a body doing what we all do. I am not content journeying with only a single glance. To keep my spirit and mindset from indulging and attaching to the bullshit and suffering that constantly plagues us as human beings, I find myself exploring the artistic side of life. This to me is a manifestation of the essence of being a human being. It is a poetic and artistic expression of all the focus and potential we have gathered as a highly evolved species (in comparison to others) over time. Art in its most genuine form is nothing but a stream of truth straight from the collective consciousness which we all draw on. Creativity comes from the most honest and unique aspects of humans. The part of us that although conditioned, remains unique, the part that is not able to submit, give in, and conform to the systems of control that are a part of our lives.

I find art in many manifestations. For example, writing and music are the forms that I create personally. My art is a window into my own being, a deeper look at my subconscious, and an uninhibited view of where I am at in my life (if I I am being honest with myself). Art created by others, whether it is visual, musical, or written work, is not only a deeper look at that individual, but a deeper look at life itself. Exploring this creativity of human spirit is one of the most important aspects of keeping my life fulfilled and healthy.

Music is one of my strongest addictions. It accompanies me everywhere I am. Either in the form of a CD through my headphones, a song in my head, a guitar in my hands, or the realization of the music that is all around us in nature. Quiet the dialogue within our minds, and listen, Nature?s song is the most beautiful of all. When a mood, an emotion, or the weather weighs down on my ability to feel content, I slip some music on, and am liberated. Or when I feel uninspired, dumb-downed, indifferent to my existence, or a lack of emotion, a certain song by a certain artist can give me the inspiration needed to carry on in my usual positive and healthy manner. I also find music is a great tool to aid in prying my mind open. There is a never-ending amount of ideas, outlooks, insights, political views, feelings, energies, and vibes coming from a never-ending amount of artists out there. With each new artist I hear I get a little look into the views of other human beings, and with the proper amount of reflection, I gain a better understanding of the dynamic human spirit and the odd ways in which this world works.

Music can be used on many different levels and degrees. It can be used as an escape, as an outlet, as a soundtrack to dance to, as an account of memories, and as a tool to benefit the well being of life. Music is a mental and physical art, demanding full attention and energy. In essence, music is the transformation of all aspects of a human being, into a condensed moment of honesty and sound. The performer fuses with the art, and the moment is as close to perfection as we are able to perceive.

For me, writing, especially poetry and little blurbs of streaming consciousness is the most therapeutic activity I can involve my whole being in. It demands the full awareness of my mind, my heart, my reality, my honesty, and my reflection. Not only does it relieve stress and ground me when I find myself floating just above the ground (a foothold in sight, but just out of reach). It also manifests into an actual piece of art, getting as close as possible to separating the line between language and the actual experience of reality we partake in.

At times in this world today, it seems that every single action we make is directly or indirectly done to benefit and maintain the strength of this machine, this society. With all of the suffering in our lives, there seems to be a hole in most of us, an area of un-fulfillment. We desperately search for something to fill this hole. The Capitalist society we have built over the years provides the most convenient answer: Stuff. We buy more and more stuff, and we believe we feel fulfilled (maybe some do?). We become owned by what we own, and we ?feel? good. Yet, the other side of the coin remains unnoticed. This is the fact that although we may ?feel? good, we are being used, unwillingly, and in many cases unknowingly. Our individual lives each become a part of the machine. Art is one of the readily available outlets we have in this society to escape this manufactured lifestyle. Through art we are able to take back our lives, take back our responsibility, take back the control that essentially we should all have over ourselves, (re)discover ourselves as individuals. I believe there are other forms of finding this inner spirituality, this connection with oneself; art is the one that has found my life at this point.

In conclusion, art is a sliver of truth penetrating the barrier between two perceptions. It is the divine light in all of us shining directly from one individual into another. It is an escape to an area within our personal beings that is free of oppression, free of suppression, and free of boundaries created by anyone but ourselves. It provides a healthy, un-harmful, and beautiful way of looking deep within ourselves to search for answers, for questions, for a profound sense of reality, and for a connection to ourselves or to others. In essence, art is freedom. Art is life.

"my old friend told me
to do well always
set your sails, open
ride your waves, flowing
just relax, sober
leave you past, it's over
bind two hands, stronger
my soul waits, forward" - Arjun and Guardians

Edited by CeeThruMeer (06/14/05 01:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Art [Re: CeeThruMeer]
    #4294294 - 06/14/05 05:49 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I can think of nothing better to be involved with than art.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology