Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
A question about paradoxes from a newbie.
    #386159 - 09/05/01 07:39 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Everything is a paradox.

I don't think i understand these things. Is the above statement a paradox? Or is it just false?

"Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship"

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBBin
BlueOvertoneStorm

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: A question about paradoxes from a newbie. [Re: Revelation]
    #386286 - 09/05/01 12:31 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The thing about the paradox is that it plays with meaning and context. There are many nuanced levels of meaning and ways of interpreting them, when we stumble on a paradox it means that our interpreting brain is as yet unable to perceive the nuance.
Consider this one for a moment:

This sentence contains exaktly threee mistakes.

its just different levels of looking at it and that.
??

Thought is born blind but Mind knows what is Seeing

--------------------
Thought is born blind but Mind knows what is Seeing

OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
    #386348 - 09/05/01 02:27 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

A paradox is basically something that doesn't add up or contradicts it's self.

For example if you travelled back in time and stopped your parents from ever meeting, you would then never be born and so couldn't have travelled back in time.

Paradoxes such as these are often used to disprove the possibility of things such as time travel, but personally I think the presence of paradoxes only proves a lack of understanding.

Take care

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: A question about paradoxes from a newbie. [Re: Phyl]
    #386914 - 09/06/01 09:23 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the responses :) I think i understand now, i looked at some cool examples of paradoxes on the internet and they're pretty interesting.

The reason i thought the statement "everything is a paradox" was one itself is because If that satement is false then not everything is a paradox - however the statement itself would then be a paradox, making it true. If it is true then everything is a paradox, including the statement itself..which would make the statement false, and true at the same time.

But now i think about that doesn't really make much sense at all hehe...anyway thanks for clearing that up for me.

"Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship"

--------------------

Offlinelucid_dreams
journeyman
Loc: the great plains
    #387409 - 09/06/01 09:15 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

check out steven hawkins hes one kool timmy like mo'fo i
just watched a nova episode on timetravel on pbs it rocked
i wish i would of recorded it(one hell of a trip toy)i love
science:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MIND YOUR HEAD<<<<<<<<<<<<<

--------------------

when injecting rust, sniff lunar dust
>>>>>>>>>>>>MIND YOUR HEAD<<<<<<<<<<<

Offlineoneoverzero
veteran
Loc: Cyber Space
    #387533 - 09/06/01 11:10 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Paradoxical phenominon are

incomphensible.

They are not confined and limited in syntax's inherent contradictions. The equation 2+2=5 is perfectly true in a specific form of mathematics and can be prooven with imaginary numbers. Imagine that. How about a negative vacuum? Perfectly true in modern physics. So what is pi (3.141592...)? What is one divided into zero parts? It's where thinking breaks down and we realize the bigger container doesn't fit into the smaller container (often accompanied by moments of zenny-like, "oh, now I see..."). I've read the Big Bang Theory is now being called the "Big Burp" because it's description is impossible to explain where and when the laws of physics break down at the infintesimally small time after it (supposedly) began. Do I believe the universe used to be the size of a grapefruit? What kind of description is that? The answers are: no, and a bad one.

The beauty of participating in paradoxical phenominon is the joy of being connected to everything all at once without understanding it, yet going right with it wherever it goes. So Go!

Eat 'em Alive and Love IT to Death

Edited by oneoverzero on 09/07/01 12:13 AM.

Edited by oneoverzero on 09/07/01 12:16 AM.

--------------------
[red]0011 0001 0010 1111 0011 0000[/red]

InvisibleMorgue Juice
journeyman

#388558 - 09/08/01 07:49 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Im just gonna dribble some crap here.. dont mind me.. im thinking that the paradox of life is determained randomness.. in the beginning there was chaos and out of chaos came the human brain(which i think could be chaos created within chaos seeing as the human brain has the ability to understand any concept in its dimensions), the human brain then discovered mathematics which gives order to chaos..
and life is the balance of the paradox because it creates freewill which is already determained.. once that has been discovered you start becoming more intune with the flow of the tao or flow of the here and now.. or somethin...

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: A question about paradoxes from a newbie. [Re: BBin]
    #388635 - 09/08/01 11:07 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

well, we all know the spoken word is not the Word or Logos. which is the fallacy of churches who rely primarily on holy texts and not non-verbal forrms of prayer.
a parodox is that these texts contain directions for finding the Spirit yet in themselves are nothing but words. the texts are indeed quite holy yet they're nothing as well. some say painted cakes do not satisfy hunger
the rational mind finds answers to problems that are taken as absolutely real yet are really nothing more than creations of itself. a relatively real answer to a relatively real problem. wilder paradoxes begin when one starts to realize what the rational mind itself is relative to.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom