Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Why is taking drugs "wrong?"
    #3402313 - 11/24/04 04:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I hear that some people think that taking drugs is wrong. Well, why is it wrong? Is taking Advil wrong? That's a drug. Honestly, what is so wrong about people choosing to do drugs?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: MOTH]
    #3402322 - 11/24/04 04:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

NOTHING! :smile:

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3402328 - 11/24/04 04:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You're asking members of a drug-related message board what is wrong with drugs?

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3402343 - 11/24/04 04:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, I figured someone would mention that I'm preaching to the choir.  :wink:

But seriously...I'd like to understand the psychology of people who honestly believe that drugs are wrong.  Is it the DARE influence?  Morality?  Something else or all of the above?  I mean, it boggles my mind how someone could decide that doing drugs is "wrong."  I don't get it!

I know this is a rehashed topic, but I'd like to try and have a chance to understand the "other side."

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#3402369 - 11/24/04 04:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ignorance and stupidity maybe.

Maybe people associate drugs with being illegal and therefore anything illegal is bad.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
    #3402379 - 11/24/04 05:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's the powerful promoting bad propaganda in an attempt to discourage any kind of drug that expands the mind or actually provokes individual thought process. Plus the long term effects of certain drugs can be very harmful and they don't want their slaves getting poorly now!

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#3402464 - 11/24/04 05:29 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Drugs are illegal.  Some people think illegal = unquestionably wrong.  Or rather, they don't bother questioning the rightness or wrongness of it, and just let The Man think for them.

Religions may preach against drugs.  The first time humans tried to eat "The Food of the Gods" we were banished out of Eden.  :smile:

Drugs are a danger to oneself.  True in some cases.

Drugs are a danger to others.  True in some cases.

Danger to oneself or to others is of course reduced greatly with 'responsible use' but most people do not realize that such a thing exists.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3402568 - 11/24/04 06:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." -- Albert Einstein

Lots of people appear to latch on to "common sense". How many times have you heard the excuse "it's just common sense"?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: trendal]
    #3402572 - 11/24/04 06:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

the rationale portrayed by the authorites is, that drugs cause people to do other illegal things.
why they have this rationale, im not sure.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3402620 - 11/24/04 07:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

because it doesn't fit the mold that this society wants. the media protrays that drugs=jail, and in fact it does. that's why it's wrong, cause you'll go to jail!

fear

a person on drugs is "less likely" to go to college. this of course is assumption, but hey you're asking why others think they are wrong.

many were told this, including myself...and many believ(ed) it, including myself. I mean, what child isn't going to trust their parents when they say something is wrong.

drugs with ignorance can also equal death. evidently, humans have a lot of that "ignorance" going around.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: kaiowas]
    #3402636 - 11/24/04 07:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

They have been considered wrong for a long time now, thanks in no small part to Christianity and Islam.

Some people see any form of non-sober mental state as unnatural, you always hear people saying "I don't think it's right to put something like that in my body".

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: deafpanda]
    #3402777 - 11/24/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Government dictates some people's morals.
Drugs=illegal=bad bad bad
Not socially acceptable, while drinking is (??)
Religion plays a role.

Kind of a shitty analogy (pun intended, youll see). My anatomy teacher one tiem said that a baby doesnt know playing with their own fecal matter is wrong and dirty until the parental units say it is. kinda like the DARE program or some other BS might engrave bad thoughts about drugs into kid's heads.

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: druqks46]
    #3402928 - 11/24/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

some people really do have drug problems, coke, heroin, meth, etc etc, lots of peoples lives are ruined over drugs, lots of people regret doing drugs, and it's not only a because it's illegal, just look at the opium war in china, now i've done opiates many times in my life, not much any more because it does'nt really offer me much in a spiritual way, all i got was an amazing high and i feel I came close to ruining my life to it, luckily i got into religion and spirituality, and I decided to try to throw out the crap thats useless and only waste's my time and gets in the way of my goals, now i really only do opiates rarely, and when i do it's more of a sacred, rest type experiance, not because i wanna get fucked up and feel invincible for a few hours.

drugs are just like everything else in this world, they can be good, they can be abused, but most people are brainwashed by dare or anything else like that, but like ghandi said "you got to be the change you want to see in this world", so if you do drugs, be an example and show the world there not all bad, and if you don't do drugs, be an example to show you can go through life without them, no need to argue, just live it.

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Edited by JCoke (11/24/04 09:43 AM)

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: deafpanda]
    #3402945 - 11/24/04 09:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

deafpanda said:
They have been considered wrong for a long time now, thanks in no small part to Christianity and Islam.

Some people see any form of non-sober mental state as unnatural, you always hear people saying "I don't think it's right to put something like that in my body".

sadly thats true, mainstream religion has had an effect on drugs and what society thinks of them, so much for the separation of church and state.  :rolleyes:

I feel I never broke the law by doing drugs, my rights were robbed from me, the government broke the law by robbing me of my freedom, so fuck them, anyways.

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Edited by JCoke (11/24/04 09:42 AM)

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: JCoke]
    #3403255 - 11/24/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I hear that some people think that taking drugs is wrong. Well, why is it wrong? Is taking Advil wrong? That's a drug. Honestly, what is so wrong about people choosing to do drugs?

This is a good question and one that I would have jumped on a couple of years ago. I was on the ANTI-DRUG band wagon and believed 99% of everything I had been told about drugs. Such things as "When you do drugs you become schizophrenic.", "Pot makes you lazy and stupid." and "Only idiots do drugs."

What changed my mind was that I began looking into why drugs were made illegal. What was the reason pot was and is illegal? What were the discussions in congress when the laws were passed? What was the issue that these laws were going to fix?

What I found was eye opening. The discussions were over things like the anti-war movement in the 60's and how to keep them in line. The earlier laws were passed because of perceived dangers. I also found LOTS of propaganda. Lots of BS on both sides!

As to why drugs are wrong, Most propaganda would have you believe that if you try drugs just once you will be hooked. A light drug (Pot) leads to heaver drugs as you work to maintain a level of contentment.Controle is the biggest part of it. Drugs appear to be an avenue of escape for the "Counter Cultures"  This would lead to a continuing downword spiral causing you to loose contact with reality and do anything to get the next fix. This leads to sin (Selling your body, stealing, killing, etc) and sin is wrong because GOD says so. At some point it was decided that because the Christians could not keep the masses in line they would need the governments help.

OK I am going to take a shower now, I seem to be covered in Bull S**T. :wink:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3403318 - 11/24/04 11:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This is a perfectly reasonable question..

I think when government starts making laws against plants and against activities that people have been doing for tens (hundreds?) of thousands of years, it starts making people wonder if law in general is worthy of obedience.

Drugs, regardless of what addicts will tell you, DO change people.
Modern government likes to keep people all "on the same page." This makes it much easier to control the masses, when they're all the same.

In this manner, drugs are illegal. It is not because "they are dangerous," otherwise they wouldn't sell guns at walmart and allow people to go skydiving and go scuba-diving with sharks and all that.... Cars are dangerous, but they're not illegal.

I've also heard Chris Rock's theory that they don't want you hooked on the kinds of drugs that Brown people produce and distribute....... They want you hooked on THEIR drugs, IE all the pharmacuticals (don't think I spelled that right..). That is big business, and god forbid they allow us to have ones that we can grow ourselves or purchase from a young prosperous black or hispanic fellow.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: Strumpling]
    #3403350 - 11/24/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

why is doing drugs wrong?

as long as they are done in a way that is not detrimental to your health or social life, they are not.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Edited by Moonshoe (11/29/04 12:34 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #3403456 - 11/24/04 11:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Honestly, what is so wrong about people choosing to do drugs?

You're preaching to the choir here. Go talk to these people:

http://www.freevibe.com/  :stoned:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #3403540 - 11/24/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"Why is taking drugs "wrong"?

The illegal drugs have been covered here.

I would like to address the prescription drug issue.

While there is nothing morally wrong from going to the doctor and getting a prescripion, and unless you get caught with prescription drugs that don't belong to you, nothing illegal or immoral.

And, some prescription drugs are absolutely "right" depending on the patient and their needs.

BUT, prescription drugs are SO overprescribed by most doctors and that is just PLAIN WRONG. High cholesterol? Take Lipitor etc. before you change your diet or exercise.

The FDA and the drug companies with their lobbies and review process have created a very dangerous situation. The drug companies pay the FDA to review (and they hope to approve) new drugs. The conflict of interest is huge and Phen-fen and Vioxx are probably the tip of the iceberg. Many "new" drugs are really no more effective than their alternatives, yet with massive advertising and payoffs to doctors will be sold at huge profit. It's wrong morally, healthwise, and economically a giant scam.

Ever check out how many drugs many seniors take? Ten or more different medications every day is not unusual. Pretty scary. How can any doctor know what the interactions and true effects to health are given that many variables?

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlineforest2005
Stranger
Re: Why is taking drugs "wrong?" [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3418374 - 11/28/04 02:16 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

People fail to realize that alcohol is a poison and toxic to our body. So smoking a big fat ass blunt or tripping on shrooms effects you in a hramful way worse than that? What the fuck? Sounds like governments only source is profit. We can cultivate alcohol in any way but we can marijuana and shrooms. That would end up us making alot of money off of that. Damaging our economy. Marijuana would soon be taxed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags