Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleIneedHitsPLEASE
enthusiast

Loc: upstate,ny
Experimental Substrates?
    #313194 - 05/09/01 02:20 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Im gonna use BRF/verm for 1/2 my jars,birdseed for another 2 or 3,and as a 3rd substrate I am going to try something that people dont usually try,just to see what happens.I wanted to ruun some ideas by yall and see what you thougt the problems might be with some of them.Puffed rice(the generic kind,w/o suger),Rye flour/Verm,Granola,Corn flakes,some of the little grain pellets for hamsters/rabbits,Ect...There just ideas that I think would be fun to try.I dont want to tottaly just waste spores though so if you see a specific reason why one wont work,please tell me.I am gonna start them soon.How about shredded wheat?I am a beginener so I know some might sound nuts,or maybe even used,Can you let me know if they are?"Enjoy the little things, for some day you may look back and realize they were the big things"

--------------------
You are the Weakest Link........GOODBYE!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: Experimental Substrates? [Re: IneedHitsPLEASE]
    #313362 - 05/09/01 06:28 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You can use any of those. What are you trying to determine from your experiment?

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

InvisibleIneedHitsPLEASE
enthusiast

Loc: upstate,ny
Re: Experimental Substrates? [Re: egghead]
    #313381 - 05/09/01 06:46 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

well not really trying to determine any thing specific,I just wanna do it differant ways so i can see how they effect potency/growth,and since the verm/BRF,and birdseed are tested proven methods I just figured i would play around with a few jars,since i am not dependant own their growth.plus i figured all of these would be quick and cheap and easy.Which ones do you think are best?I was leaning towards shredded wheat and rabbit grain pellets,but like i said im just messing around and who knows.

"Enjoy the little things, for some day you may look back and realize they were the big things"

--------------------
You are the Weakest Link........GOODBYE!

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Loc: Down the Street
    #313409 - 05/09/01 07:11 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Most of those will probably work, if not all. Not sure how well they will work, but the only way to find out it to guess and check ; ) I've been planning on throwing togethor cakes from whole wheat flour and bird seed just to see how well they work, I was also reading up on using 'pastes' in place of agar. I haven't messed with agar any, but you could grind up just about any grains or seeds and boil them to sterilize it and also to make the paste. I also wanna try this paste idea sometime down the road... it'd be nice to come up with a nice little recipe for a high-nutrient paste recipe. I'm thinking the whole wheat flour w/finch seed will work pretty good, I'm gonna try it sometime soon and I'll post results. Another interesting grain would be to try some of the grains used in home brewery, information is readily available on home brew sites about these grains and anyone that knows what the mushies like best could probably come up with a nice recipe using these grains. Another interesting idea is to use coir with a little bit of lime in place of the vermiculite... its supposedly better than the verm but I haven't had any experience with it and I basically going from information I've pulled off the net. I'd like to hear about your results after you try some of your ideas ; ) Also, a nice little appliance to have around is a coffee grinder if you plan on using seeds for paste. You could probably make a paste and dry it out in the oven and then grind it again to make a nice flour like substance that would be interesting to try as a substitute for BRF. Good luck with the experiments and post your results once you have them (if you don't mind of course ; )

"F*ck wishin. You're missin' the ambitions of your mission."

--------------------
Vitamin C chase, kill the taste. You can tell its nasty by the look on my face.
Ralphster44 & The FSR!
All thats stated above is for humor and a lie!!

Offlineegghead
veteran
    #313411 - 05/09/01 07:14 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

To get useful data, you'd have to do a very large-scale experiment. FI, you might get radically different substrate colonization times for the exact same recipe working from the same agar isolate. Or one jar of an exp recipe colonizes faster than the control jar, but another of the same exp recipe colonizes slower than the control. After many trials, you too may come to the conclusion that Paul Stamets' spawn formulas are good enough. There's only going to be so much nutrition in grain-based substrates.

Experimentation w/ different bulk substrate formulae might be more fruitful. ;)

Please don't take this as discouragement. If you're into it, go for it.

--------------------

Offlineegghead
veteran
Re: Experimental Substrates? [Re: DarK_SavioR]
    #313413 - 05/09/01 07:16 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

DS.. Can you tell me where/what you were reading about the 'paste' agar substitute?

--------------------

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
    #313436 - 05/09/01 08:00 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

egghead, check out these posts and I'll try and find some other documents on it for you later on... I'll post em once I find em ; )

Lizard King: BF paste? whats that?
Ultimate MycoDirectory v2.0

that first post is talking about the pastes and the second one if full of informative links for just about everything, I'll get some documents posted up about the paste stuff later on.

--------------------
Ralphster44 & The FSR!

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
    #313691 - 05/10/01 01:58 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

egghead, here's an idea...

Using grinded up grains/seeds and some flour make a paste by boiling the flour and grains in a covered pot for about 45 minutes. The paste should be thick enough that you can poke it with a toothpick and it will maintain a 'peak' so you'll need to judge how much water you use cause I don't have a clue as to the water to flour ratio and it will probably be different depending on what grains and flour you're using. Anyway, after making the paste spread it on a cookie sheet lined with alluminum foil and place in the oven long enough to dry it entirely out. Now, grind the solid paste into a powder/'flour' and use it in place of brf. Heh, thats a lot of trouble and pointless for anything except experimentation. One advantage is that you can use just about any whole grain and sterility isn't as much of a problem as it would be if the grains weren't grinded up. Another idea would be to make this paste and use it like agar, I'm guessing it would work better than the plain brf paste being as it has more nutrients in it. Anyway, I plan on messing with this in the future just to see what all I can come up with. With this 'paste-to-powder' method you might be able to come up with a more effective cake recipe, but this is probably too much trouble to go through for most occasions. Just another idea, tell me what you think. (a coffee bean grinder should grind the grains and the dry paste easily.)

--------------------
Ralphster44 & The FSR!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags