Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
The Bible Book Club: Christianity
    #3001454 - 08/13/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Is there any doubt that the Bible is not a story book?

The stories in there have inspired so many people, that they have started thier own book club: Christianity.

Would you say that this is a close metaphor? Any thaughts?

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Edited by Northernsoul (08/14/04 01:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Metaphor: The Bible Book Clubs of Christianity, and others. [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3004431 - 08/14/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Can anyone draw any paralells to this metaphor, or anology?

Anyone want to add on or challenge this metaphor?

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Metaphor: The Bible Book Clubs of Christianity, and othe [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3004636 - 08/14/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

:shrug:

you're right about quite a few people, but there ARE those who try to use it as a guide to live their lives well - not gossip around and discuss it.

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
Re: Metaphor: The Bible Book Clubs of Christianity, and othe [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3004650 - 08/14/04 02:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i was just thinking this.the bible is like telling the kid you actaully pulled the quarter out of their ear.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: The Bible Book Club: Christianity [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3005451 - 08/14/04 08:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Very close the the facts and funny at the same time.
When you say "story book" do you mean fiction or jazzed history?

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: The Bible Book Club: Christianity [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3005824 - 08/14/04 10:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

In these times many humans disregard all religion as nonsense, non-scientific, non-logical, and general fallacy.

What a horrible time to live in :frown:

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Loc: Neverland
Re: The Bible Book Club: Christianity [Re: tekramrepus]
    #3006083 - 08/15/04 05:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

its more that people think for themselves more nowadays than anything else and whether that makes these times horrible is a whole other issue :P

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Bible Book Club: Christianity [Re: Zoso_UK]
    #3006089 - 08/15/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

percentage-wise, I'd dispute that claim. Besides which, you did not live centuries ago, so it's hard to make a valid estimate.

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: The Bible Book Club: Christianity [Re: vampirism]
    #3006126 - 08/15/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you're criticism of my claim is likewise a criticism of yours :P

what i meant is that people today at least in the west are very individual-centred... and often dislike authority. this is a new phenomena, at least in the scale its at today. a few hundred years ago everyone in, say, england went to church because you effectively had to go. not any more.

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
    #3006312 - 08/15/04 06:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

supermarket,who said thats going on?

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3006401 - 08/15/04 07:08 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

exactly - they tend to automatically hate anything which they see as a threat. no thought involved

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Metaphor: The Bible Book Clubs of Christianity, and othe [Re: vampirism]
    #3006873 - 08/15/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Morrowind said:
:shrug:

you're right about quite a few people, but there ARE those who try to use it as a guide to live their lives well - not gossip around and discuss it.

The followers verses the gossipers. Great concept. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3008033 - 08/16/04 02:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yeah there are several pretty influential book clubs around these days, but christianity has certainly really taken off with their beloved best-selling "The Bible."

By the way if somebody writes a book twice as good nowadays there's no way it could gain such power.

The authors are giggling in their graves as we speak.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Re: The Bible Book Club: Christianity [Re: Strumpling]
    #3008202 - 08/16/04 05:06 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Its amazing really how one book can be so important. Language is power.

And morrowind, i can't speak for everyone of course and neither can you but the modern secular movement isn't motivated by mere thoughtless hatred like you suggest. However, in the past a lot of people's religious affiliations were motivated by thoughtless obedience for a simple reason... there was no education system for most people. It is the introduction of education to the masses throughout the world that is challenging people to think for themselves, rather than live by others conclusions. Of course, i'm not that idealistic and I admit there are problems - for instance, the way science is portrayed as a religion in many Western schools. However, at least schools are a forum for debate and people are encouraged to question.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3008266 - 08/16/04 06:38 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

the bible is a best seller, but seldom read (especially in its entirity...)
influential, yes; and still a repositiry of much that is useful...
but (as joseph campbell noted) the christian (and muslim) (and to a lesser extent, pehaps, jewish) insistence on being the one true path to god, can have a sort of "toxic" effect on the resulting worldview... ('y'know: we're right, everybody else is wrong; & if you ain't with us, you're agin' us; & if you're agin' us, you're agin' god; & if you're agin' god, you deserve whatever ya git... sound's like a recipe for inquisitions, heretic-huntings, pogroms, jihads, and other ummmm malicious behaviors, eh?)

~~~

mind you, it doesn't have to result in hurting your neighbor - there's a whole lot that's excellent in the teachings & traditions & histories of "the big 3" monotheistic faiths (children of abraham, as it were, yes?)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#3014065 - 08/17/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

In the dark ages, and even alot sooner than those days, I think the bible was the only book out there that the common folk could get thier hands on.

What about the women in the dark ages? That book was probably the only one they could study since they werent allowed to get a higher education and go to university....

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

#3014161 - 08/17/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, no one except monks and clergy could access the Bible. Common folk received the Bible through sermon's in which the priest's interpretation would always be correct. The reformation was partly fuelled by anger at the fact that all the Bibles were written in Latin and hence unreadable to the common person.

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
    #3014174 - 08/17/04 02:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

keep in mind that wide spread literacy is relatively modern (ei 1800-present), and most certainly the common dark ages man (or woman) would not have laid hands on any book, let alone a bible. books were copied by hand by an elect few priests that could read and write and as such a rare commodity were owned only by the ultra rich (ei: the church). most kings weren't even literate in those days. besides all of this, the book would have been written in either latin or greek, and completely incomprehensible even if somehow the common man could understand the letters inked therein. the stories within the bible would have been sacred mysteries known only by the few (ei priests) and then interpreted to the masses. even then it is doubtful that the common man would have grasped the messages within the sermons beyond the god is good/the devil is bad/love the king/follow the church overtones which made up the ordinary sermon of the day. What we think of as education and literacy was almost completely limited to the clergy (including the monks and nuns so you have your women literates as well), and most certainly not to the common man who was no better than an agricultural slave bound to his lord's land. the very idea of writing would have been viewed with suspicion and awe and in a way seen as a magical practice.

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: The Bible Book Club: Christianity [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3018645 - 08/18/04 01:47 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

in 1452 gutenberg initiates widespread european utlization of printing press/movable typesetting technology...

that was the beginning of widespread access to books...
and of course many of the first orders were for runs of the bible...
translating the bible into "the common tongue" was first practiced on a moderately large scale by a group of (heretical) christians known as "waldenses"... their activities were illegal in most of christendom...
even hundreds of years later, in englend, a man named wyckliffe risked life, limb, & worldly goods in his effort to translate the bible into english(& print it) for widespread distribution of the scriptures - he was hounded out of england, a wanted man with a price on his head throughout much of europe, & his labors forbidden... and yet much of his translating efforts were eventually incorporated entire into the work of the committee gathered by king james of england whose work resulted in the english publication of the "authorized" version...
(meanwhile in germany, dr martin luther (besides stirring up germany, austria, and much of the rest of mitteleuropa with "the protestant reformation") spent much of his efforts translating the whole of the scriptures into deutsch... (when he was a neophyte in the monastery, he was appalled that the single copy of the bible there was chained to the bookstand (and in the vulgate latin of jerome, no less; he vowed to turn his efforts to translating the holy writ so that every christian could rewad the good news for himself (and for his good christian family, ok?) -- and his translation is still used in german-speaking lands to this very day... (& he did translate NT, OT, & apocrypha...))
~
~
~yaddayaddayadda///gnrmie

~

different countries had different rates of literacy...
the development of a middle class (see: shmalkald league, etc.) resulted in a great increase in literacy beyond the clergy...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#3019098 - 08/18/04 03:35 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Zoso_UK said:
Actually, no one except monks and clergy could access the Bible. Common folk received the Bible through sermon's in which the priest's interpretation would always be correct. The reformation was partly fuelled by anger at the fact that all the Bibles were written in Latin and hence unreadable to the common person.

Thankfully Martin Luther came along after a few years of that and made it available to everyone, so people can figure it out for themselves, and question it all they want like any other book!!
Think of the sales they got after that! Thats one way to get your book on the NY Times best sellers list! I know that I would totaly want to check this book out after being told that it was only for certain people to read for so long. Its kind of like if we are told not to smoke weed by authority, and wanting it even more because we are not suppose to do it. Which is why so many people do it! Doesnt matter if your adult or a teenager!

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds