Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 3519 | 3520 | 3521 | 3522 | 3523 | 3524 | 3525 | 3526 | 3527 | 3528 | 3529 | 3530 | 3531 | 3532 | 3533 | 3534 | 3535 | 3536 | 3537 | 3538 | 3539 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Tartanmyco]
    #29432360 -

Anytime! Best of luck:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Agar Wedge]
    #29432364 -

Here’s the oats from agar, haven’t spawned them yet was considering dumping them

The two on the left look best





--------------------
Seems like I've been here before
Seems so familiar
Seems like I'm slipping
Into a dream within a dream

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: ambigu]
    #29432366 -

tryptkaloids said:
len53 said:
Why do we need to 'revive' or transfer an old culture onto agar plates? Isn't grain a type of medium too? What's the difference between doing that and just using the old culture directly?



Agar is easier to sterilize, cheaper, and a 2 dimensional surface that you can see contams grow on.  It's not about revival. It's about maintaining culture viability.

Read "agar, what, why and how"



ambigu said:
len53 said:
Why do we need to 'revive' or transfer an old culture onto agar plates? Isn't grain a type of medium too? What's the difference between doing that and just using the old culture directly?



Do you mean an old dried out agar plate or a dried grain? I guess it would be much harder to ‘revive’ it directly in a grain jar because it won’t get rehydrated as easy as it would on agar. Besides that, a grain was probably stored in a non-sterile location, and an old agar plate might have gotten contaminated through damaged parafilm, so you’ll want to make sure it’s clean again before pouring it to grain.



Sorry, I was wasted at the time. I do transfer to new plate before sending to grain.

Assuming the old culture was clean. Is there any benefit to that extra agar step compared to a direct agar to grain or agar to LC? Does 'cleaning it up' on a fresh plate actually revitalize the mycelium, or is it just expanding the colony?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: AZ Starman2112]
    #29432375 -

AZ Starman2112 said:
Gilmour Hendrix said:
Are you down with ACC? Yeah you know me!

My ACC shoebox is acting like it's trying to pin but they look odd. Is this what blobs look like?





Mine blobbed and then turned into beautiful shrooms! Look at the pic of them today. They are becoming chonkers!





Awesome! Thanks, AZ!


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Gilmour Hendrix] * 1
    #29432389 -

Gilmour Hendrix said:
AZ Starman2112 said:
Gilmour Hendrix said:
Are you down with ACC? Yeah you know me!

My ACC shoebox is acting like it's trying to pin but they look odd. Is this what blobs look like?





Mine blobbed and then turned into beautiful shrooms! Look at the pic of them today. They are becoming chonkers!





Awesome! Thanks, AZ!



Anytime for you bub! 😎

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Tartanmyco] * 1
    #29432458 -

Tartanmyco said:
Here’s the oats from agar, haven’t spawned them yet was considering dumping them

The two on the left look best







Those look pretty standard for oats, at least to me.

Oats always looked a little whispy like some grains got skipped.


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon] * 4
    #29432791 -

Hot and cold temp fluctuations that are exaggerated? Definitely... Mushroom Yawns? definitely.


How about the whole watery eyes constantly tearing up  thing?

Anybody else experience that? Actually it doesn't happen to me as much anymore.

But when my wife was able to trip it pretty much happens to her every time. at some point or another her eyes just start dripping tears like crazy.




For me instead of the watery eyes now I just get really bad congestion. My nose and throat tend to get all stuffy and congested.  It can be really distracting.

And then there's the trips where I feel like I have to pee every fucking 10 minutes..


--------------------
:hippie::mushroom2:Take it easy. if it's easy. take it twice:mushroom2::mushroom2:
:sporedrop:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery:sporedrop:

**A LINK TO EVERTHING**


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: callmehippie] * 4
    #29432794 -

In the traditional plant medicine world it is said that every plant induces purging of some kind. Ayahuasca being the most famous example with nausea vomiting, and diarrhea frequently reported during ceremonies.

A teacher once told me, when I mentioned mushroom yawns that that is a frequent mechanism of purging for mushroom medicine, also known as los Niños Santos. Tearing is right up there with yawning in the shamanic lexicon of purging.

From a spiritual standpoint many people believe that purging is the medicines way of getting negative energy, evil spirits, bad juju out of you.


--------------------
-Noku
Eskawata kaya waikiki
HHG
"Shake it like you would a newborn baby" - BeefExtreme

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: callmehippie]
    #29432796 -

callmehippie said:
Hot and cold temp fluctuations that are exaggerated? Definitely... Mushroom Yawns? definitely.


How about the whole watery eyes constantly tearing up  thing?

Anybody else experience that? Actually it doesn't happen to me as much anymore.

But when my wife was able to trip it pretty much happens to her every time. at some point or another her eyes just start dripping tears like crazy.




For me instead of the watery eyes now I just get really bad congestion. My nose and throat tend to get all stuffy and congested.  It can be really distracting.

And then there's the trips where I feel like I have to pee every fucking 10 minutes..



callmehippie said:
Hot and cold temp fluctuations that are exaggerated? Definitely... Mushroom Yawns? definitely.


How about the whole watery eyes constantly tearing up  thing?

Anybody else experience that? Actually it doesn't happen to me as much anymore.

But when my wife was able to trip it pretty much happens to her every time. at some point or another her eyes just start dripping tears like crazy.




For me instead of the watery eyes now I just get really bad congestion. My nose and throat tend to get all stuffy and congested.  It can be really distracting.

And then there's the trips where I feel like I have to pee every fucking 10 minutes..



Whoops, sorry, Hippie. I meant to quote you in my last post above.


--------------------
-Noku
Eskawata kaya waikiki
HHG
"Shake it like you would a newborn baby" - BeefExtreme

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk]
    #29432806 -

Kloakk said:
CaptainTrips420 said:
What PSI are you running? 4 quarts had maybe 200ml left after 1 hour 20 minutes going in between 15-16 PSI in a 24 quart pressure cooker for me.



:hewut:

I put 3 qt in my presto and after 15 minutes of venting and 2 hours and 30 minutes cycle around 17-18 PSI I might loose up to 1/2 qt, half of it probably during venting.



Same here.
Once it starts venting I lower the heat to low/med. I think people lose water by venting on high heat.


--------------------
"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray." – Divan-e-Shams

How to upload Photos

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery

Fruiting Cubes


Golden Teachers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: callmehippie]
    #29432808 -

callmehippie said:
I'm about to hurry up on my supply of coir.  One of the options they have is "buffered"

Its a few bucks cheaper



Here's the description for what buffered means.



The question- would this be at all beneficial for cubes?

or would it be bad for them?

if I were to get it just to save the few dollars.

Or should I just go for the normal unbuffered product?



I think Coco Bliss is the one people were having trouble with earlier.


--------------------
"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray." – Divan-e-Shams

How to upload Photos

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery

Fruiting Cubes


Golden Teachers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Proposition 122] * 1
    #29432831 -

Just wondering and cant seem to find anything on the search bar, could adding h2o2 during pasteurization help? Like, just use a few ml, maybe the right amount could even help in the enzymatic level as it does in pea seeds, id guess its probably one or the other depending on %, maybe its a middle point of efficiency

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Agar Wedge] * 1
    #29432834 -

Kloakk said:
nektar61 said:
It's a feature AND a bug. haha



:lol: yeah, and it's great for some applications, but for others it's a pita :rofl: It's a pretty cool classic looking cube, but that is hard to show anybody because they're mostly black by the time the caps open up enough to get a good picture :cryariver:



It's great if you love giving spores away, but I would honestly say if anyone has asthma, or allergies to dust, they probably shouldn't grow x7x+, or at least wear a good mask while harvesting if they harvest after spore drop.

I didn't consciously select for heavy spore drop at first, but did in the sense that I would think "Oh, that one has lots of spore dump, that will be easy for me to work with for the next generation."

But it was showing its bukakke tendencies early on. This is a pic of F2 while selecting x7x+ (F8 is what shipped as the first giveaway):


I don't know if a cosmic ray caused a mutation or what, because the parent variety, x7x did NOT splort like this. Here's the print of the pink spore "classic x7x" I was sent by Redbee that I started with:


She hasn't been on here since 2022. I wish she'd come back, I'd love to give her a print.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Ikarus21]
    #29432840 -

Ikarus21 said:
....could adding h2o2 during pasteurization help?



No. Hydrogen peroxide has no place in growing. (Maybe in cleaning surfaces, but never mix with alcohol or bleach! Makes toxic gas)

"Should we use H2O2 (at this stage or that)" gets asked often, for years, but no.

There are very old posts saying to do it, but that's before everyone figured out current best practices.

Best practice is to learn clean grow tech at all 3 phases.

--agar
--grain-
--box (though if it's clean in the first two it will be clean in the third, and if it's clean in the first, it will be clean in the second.

Agar is for "cleaning up" spores grown in open air by transferring the good parts to a new plate, throwing out the bad parts, and doing 1 to 3 transfers until it's clean. Then move on to grain.

Link in my sig line "spores to trips" explains how to do it and links the parts it doesn't explain.

Welcome.

Edited by nektar61 (12/17/25 11:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #29432842 -

Proposition 122 said:
Same here.
Once it starts venting I lower the heat to low/med. I think people lose water by venting on high heat.



It certainly could be, I vent on medium(1600w) heat, and when it gets to 15 PSI I turn it to low(600w). But it's pretty easy to controll the cycle with induction and magnets on my PC weight so I believe that helps a lot :awesomenod:

nektar61 said:
It's great if you love giving spores away, but I would honestly say if anyone has asthma, or allergies to dust, they probably shouldn't grow x7x+, or at least wear a good mask while harvesting if they harvest after spore drop.

I didn't consciously select for heavy spore drop at first, but did in the sense that I would think "Oh, that one has lots of spore dump, that will be easy for me to work with for the next generation."

But it was showing its bukakke tendencies early on. This is a pic of F2 while selecting x7x+ (F8 is what shipped as the first giveaway):


I don't know if a cosmic ray caused a mutation or what, because the parent variety, x7x did NOT splort like this. Here's the print of the pink spore "classic x7x" I was sent by Redbee that I started with:


She hasn't been on here since 2022. I wish she'd come back, I'd love to give her a print.



I would probably do the same thing if I was trying to stabilize a new variety so that makes a lot of sense. If I grow x7x+ again I'll just harvest a little early and it'll be fine.

"Bukkake tendencies" :rofl:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29432846 -

Kloakk said:
"Bukkake tendencies" :rofl:



I probably should have named it some variant of that.

It's catchier. And also then I'd wouldn't be correcting the bunch of people who've called it x7x. (without the plus)

I named it what I did to honor member x7x_x7x, who came up with the parent.

Edited by nektar61 (12/17/25 11:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: nektar61]
    #29432860 -

nektar61 said:
Ikarus21 said:
....could adding h2o2 during pasteurization help?



No. Hydrogen peroxide has no place in growing. 



Im not sure if i can link research gate links here, but
" H₂O₂ could acts as signaling molecule in the beginning of seed germination involving specific changes at proteomic, transcriptomic and hormonal levels."
-Barba-Espín G, Hernández JA, Diaz-Vivancos P. Role of H₂O₂ in pea seed germination. Plant Signal Behav. 2012
the idea is that very very low concentrations of h202(o.o68%) help enzymatic proccesses in, for example pea seeds, the study was made using 20mM (22ml 3& per liter of water)
"directly involved in the antioxidative metabolism hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), reduced and oxidized glutathione (GSH, GSSG) and ascorbic acid (ASC)"
i at least believe its worth a test, i will do it but not in the foreseeable future, if it spikes anyones curiosity go ahead, it may lead to higher contam who knows

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Ikarus21] * 3
    #29432864 -

We're not growing seeds it's not even comparable


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: nektar61] * 3
    #29432891 -

Quote:
nektar61 said:

--agar
--grain-
--box (though if it's clean in the first two it will be clean in the third, and if it's clean in the first, it will be clean in the second.




I take issue with this statement. Plenty can go wrong between agar and grain


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: cronicr]
    #29432897 -

There is precedent to the use of h2o2 as an enzymatic trigger, thats all im saying, there might be beneficial uses, one could reseach all the enzymes involved in shroom growing, but its probably easier to test, and every step upon further efficiency is a good one, specially if cheap, once im more stablished i will test it, but just saying if anyone wants to try, its a possibility

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 3519 | 3520 | 3521 | 3522 | 3523 | 3524 | 3525 | 3526 | 3527 | 3528 | 3529 | 3530 | 3531 | 3532 | 3533 | 3534 | 3535 | 3536 | 3537 | 3538 | 3539 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,852 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,238 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,829 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,849 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,180 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,044 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,542 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg
* Quick Question LXTC 1,806 11 09/24/02 08:09 PM
by LXTC

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,160,451 topic views. 15 members, 106 guests and 134 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.082 seconds spending 0.054 seconds on 18 queries.