Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
BOD's Easy AF Search Engine TEK * 121
    #24270830 - 04/25/17 04:27 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

This tek is part of bod's cultivation is easy as fuck link list

Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK
Avoid being the noob who said they searched for two hours and couldn't find anything relevant

If after you have read this TEK and still cannot find something through searching you may post in this thread for help.

This is the search engine
Located here: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/search.php

Get familiar and comfortable with the options available to you

On the top left

Forum(s) to search

narrowing your search results to "Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics" will include only threads contained in that section and it's subfourms. Including Mushroom Cultivation, Advanced Cultivation, Getting Started, etc..

Narrowing your search results to "Mushroom Cultivation" will narrow down your results to only include threads in the main psychedelic cultivation forum on this website.

if you click show user created forums you will be able to include searches in those forums as well such as The AMU user created forum and The Noob Forum

here's a search for "oyster" in all forums

and here's the same search limited to the marketplace

That's it for the left side of the page.

On the right ride of the page from top to bottom.

Words:

This is the trickiest one for people. I'll include specific examples below. You want to search for terms that are "vague" in the sense that a lot of posts you're looking for will contain that word. Don't use the words field to try to narrow your results down to a few threads. Use the words field to find lots of threads and then we will use the other tools to narrow down the results that contain the words we might want.

Posted by:

This is one I don't use very often. It does the obvious. You can search for posts by Bodhisatta or anyone else. Here's an example. You can also go to people's profiles and look at their threads and main threads that way.

Trusted Cultivators

This is a option box that can be either not checked, or checked.
if you check the box only posts by TCs will show up.
For instance "lighting requirements"

Trusted Identifiers

This is a option box that can be either not checked, or checked.
if you check the box only posts by TCs will show up.
Obviously you will likely want to go back to the left side and search only in the hunting and identification forums if you're checking this box in most circumstances.
here's an example of some posts only by TIs in Mushroom Hunting and Identification.

In reply to:

This is an interesting box. I would use it in conjunction with the posted by box. For example we can leave the words field totally blank and search for posts by RogerRabbit in reply to someone else of our choosing.
Like in this example

Look For:

This is where the search engine gets powerful from this point and all the options below

the first thing you'll see is a drop down box with 4 options
all words
any words
Exact phrase
boolean

if you select boolean visit this link for more info

I almost always use all words. The other options do what they say.

Subject or Subject and Body

this is the second drop down box. If you're looking for a TEK you could look in just the subject. Obviously if someone writes a TEK the subject line will have the keywords you're looking for so you can skip searching the body of posts to narrow it down. Say you want to look for a Coir TEK. I would type Coir Substrate into the search engine and tick the TC box search only in mushroom cultivation and only in the subject line
and get these results

All posts or main posts

this one almost goes hand in hand with the last box. If you search for main posts you'll limit the results to only find the very first post in a thread the one wrote by the OP. Since most of the time you would use this option you're looking for a TEK I use it in conjunction with the search in subject box as well.
say we're looking for a harvesting TEK
I'll search on the left side in mushroom cultivation
then for words "harvesting" just that
tick the TC box if you want
all words in SUBJECT of MAIN POSTS
and here's what you get

newer than: and older than:

in most cases you'll only ever use the newer than and the year field in the drop down box.

I strongly suggest searching for posts newer than 3-5 years. Many noobs say they only find decades old info. well Duh limit the age of the posts you are searching for...

with at least: X words and at most: X words

This one is very useful for finding TEKs since most of those threads will easily have over 200 words I will put 200 in the more than box.
for example
searching in Mushroom Cultivation, Words: TEK, TC box checked, all words in SUBJECT of MAIN POSTS, newer than 5 years, at least 200 words
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=subject&tosearch=main&how=all&words=TEK&newerval=5&newertype=y&minwords=200&limit=25&forum=f2&expert=1&sort=r&way=d

Containing:

Images  Flash  Links  Polls  Attachments 
I will usually search for posts with images or attachments on occasion and never much use any of the other buttons

here's the same search from above but with images included
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=subject&tosearch=main&how=all&words=TEK&newerval=5&newertype=y&minwords=200&limit=25&forum=f2&expert=1&image=1&sort=r&way=d
slightly different results since it cuts out the AMU tek list and a few other things.

Only show one result per thread

there's some sorting options before this check box.
this is one of the most powerful tools in the search engine arsenal. This will cut down your results dramatically and is a huge search aid. Try it out on your searches with and without using this box and see what you get.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=both&how=all&words=ovoideocystidiata&limit=25&forum=f30&showmain=1&image=1&sort=r&way=d

Examples in following post.

Edited by bodhisatta (05/28/17 07:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #24270831 - 04/25/17 04:27 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Examples

someone said:
I tried searching, even google and can't find out how to tell when a jar is done.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=main&how=all&words=Jars+done&newerval=5&newertype=y&limit=25&forum=,f2&showmain=1&image=1&sort=r&way=d
search "jars done" in main threads since we're looking for people asking the same question, less than 5 years old and with images, so that the chances of the image still being there is good. searching in mushroom cultivation forum. This way we can see people who posted pictures of jars at varying stages of done and the replies that they got.

Someone said:
A while back i read a tek that seemed to be a modification of daemons 50/50 coir tek, instead of using a 5 gallon bucket witg lid they used a 5 gallon insulated cooler. Seemed to work better. Can anyone point me to this tek? Ive been searching for days and csnt find it. Thanks peeps.

Type damion5050 and cooler into search engine
One result per thread, main posts only(since you're look for a tek)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=main&how=all&words=Damion5050+cooler&limit=25&showmain=1&sort=r&way=d
User is Damion5050 there's no 50/50

Someone said:
Been a while and cant find anything relevant through searching. Needing help with best substrate to do a poor mans pod with. Thanks in advance.

search in mushrooms mycology and psychedelics
Words: PMP, check the TC box, newer than 5 years, at least 20 words, and one result per thread.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=both&how=all&words=PMP+&newerval=5&newertype=y&minwords=20&limit=25&forum=c1&showmain=1&expert=1&sort=r&way=d

someone said:
Yes...I've searched the forums....looking for a brand/ type of your favorite 6500k LED or other for my mono.  Any suggestions appreciated. 
Thank you

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=both&how=all&words=LED+lighting+6500&limit=25&forum=f2&showmain=1&expert=1&sort=r&way=d
search led lighting 6500, TC box, only one result per thread, in mushroom cultivation. the answers may not always be what you want to hear.

someone said:
FINALLY!! After what seems like days i find something like what i'm looking for, searching "burying contaminated substrates" does indeed point out like 1600 results, as one jerk so eloquently put it, however none of them are worth reading. Seriously, half of them aren't finished or lead to stupidity. 

So for anyone who has been searching in vain for hours and days on details of a successful outdoor grow using spent contaminated cakes, to you my friend, I gift you this : https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13054218/fpart/all/vc/1

limit your searches to "mushroom cultivation"

ground outdoor contaminate words like that rather than "burying contaminated" since someone has to spell bury burying or buried correctly or even say that word at all. even searching dig or hole might be a good option

if you are looking for a TEK look for main posts, and more than 200 words since if it's worth while of a post to read it probably has more than 200 words.

you can include has images if you want since pictures help

Only one result per thread since why would you want more than one of the same thread in the results if you're looking for a guide.

sometimes I'll do newer than 5 years but for this maybe it doesn't really matter

I did "outdoor contaminated" since if you're interested in outdoor use of contaminated cakes that's the words that will be common among all the threads while words like bury might not be

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=main&how=all&words=outdoor+contaminated&minwords=200&limit=25&forum=f2&showmain=1&image=1&sort=r&way=d

with a few adjustments I dialed results down to only 81 to sift through, and the one you posted is on the first page of my results.

someone said:
any tips on what to use for lighting?right now im using white Christmas  lights so im sure I can do better. lol

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=both&how=all&words=lighting&newerval=5&newertype=y&minwords=30&limit=25&forum=f2&showmain=1&expert=1&sort=r&way=d

Edited by bodhisatta (04/27/17 02:16 PM)

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #24270876 - 04/25/17 04:52 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Well, tharr ya go! Yarr
Search engines, who a thunk it?

InvisibleZiranS
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #24270905 - 04/25/17 05:06 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Added into my getting started tek

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

OfflineMcGrimm
Professor of Peace

Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: Ziran] * 1
    #24270929 - 04/25/17 05:18 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Um...wow.

For all of us noobs, just whoa.

Thank you Bodhi:sun:

More noob:: is there an easy way to favorite or save this for quicker reference than going through my posts?

Edited by McGrimm (04/25/17 05:21 PM)

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: McGrimm] * 1
    #24270944 - 04/25/17 05:23 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Click the finger with a thread at the bottom of a post

Edited by mynakedrat (04/25/17 05:37 PM)

InvisibleZiranS
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #24270948 - 04/25/17 05:24 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

bookmark dat shit on your browser. lol

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

OfflinemushboyM
socially distant
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: Ziran] * 1
    #24270961 - 04/25/17 05:28 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

brilliant! :datass:

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24270963 - 04/25/17 05:30 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

McGrimm said:
Um...wow.

For all of us noobs, just whoa.

Thank you Bodhi:sun:

More noob:: is there an easy way to favorite or save this for quicker reference than going through my posts?

you can click the finger with the ribbon on it under a post to add it to your reminders which is located at
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/viewreminders.php?Cat=
in your account page

OfflinemushboyM
socially distant
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
    #24270978 - 04/25/17 05:33 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

set up your bookmarks based off life's priorities.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: mushboy] * 1
    #24271013 - 04/25/17 05:45 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

no bookmarks for me.

mine looks like this lol

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24275841 - 04/27/17 02:17 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

someone said:
I tried searching, even google and can't find out how to tell when a jar is done.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?where=body&tosearch=main&how=all&words=Jars+done&newerval=5&newertype=y&limit=25&forum=,f2&showmain=1&image=1&sort=r&way=d
search "jars done" in main threads since we're looking for people asking the same question, less than 5 years old and with images, so that the chances of the image still being there is good. searching in mushroom cultivation forum. This way we can see people who posted pictures of jars at varying stages of done and the replies that they got.

Invisibleliloldme
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
    #24277419 - 04/28/17 12:22 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

this is gold man I wish I had this when I was a noob back in NAM aha

Invisiblevan hatton
Still a noob

Loc: its over there!
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: liloldme] * 2
    #24277437 - 04/28/17 12:33 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Needs more links :lol:

Good write up :thumbup:

--------------------
If I ever give out misinformation please inform me so I can have the correct information. :cheers:

Tmethyl said:
Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked a monotub that wasn't pinning fast enough. The force of the kick rearranged the genetics of the mushrooms, we now call them Penis Envy.

Caps McGee said:
:thumbsup:
Fun part is figuring out what works best for you

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BOD's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24809315 - 11/27/17 11:51 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

In addition to the built-in search engine, you can use Google pretty well to search for whatever information you need. Google has indexed the majority of the site and is obviously pretty solid at being a search engine. Combine this with their unique search operators and you can perform some powerful searches outside of the Shroomery.

For example, RR hasn't seemed to have changed his user title in many years. This serves as a unique identifier for his posts. So if I combine his user title as an exact phrase match with a site identifier, I can find his opinion on whatever I like. Has RR commented on straw supplementation before?

But Google doesn't always crawl back and update old pages, so a user who changes their title often might be harder to find. Beyond their SN, you can tie in their registration date and narrow it down. What are bod's thoughts on senescence? Well, let's just see.

Anyway, just my quick addendum to an already useful guide. I find Google searching much easier for the site and use it non-stop. The Google toolbar also has additional features on the search results page, such as date ranges.

Mycology has changed much since the Shroomery was created so I often filter for the past 2 years if necessary.

Happy searching!

Edited by stareatclouds (09/01/18 03:53 PM)

Offlineseekinglight
Stranger
Re: Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24809996 - 11/27/17 05:53 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the intro to this site and how to navigate, etc.

OfflineSamAtticusS
Male User Gallery
    #25144680 - 04/17/18 03:12 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

This is so fantastic! Feel like I'm back in my doctoral "Research Methods and Materials" class. Used to be a Boolean ninja, but the engine on this site is so specific and powerful, it really makes Boolean irrelevant. Thanks for the primer! I'm a little embarrassed I asked as many questions as I did without utilizing this first!

--------------------

"I learn by going where I have to go." Theodore Roethke

Bod's AF Search Engine Tek

Invisibleplurfekt

Re: BOD's Easy AF Search Engine TEK [Re: SamAtticus]
    #25144844 - 04/17/18 07:13 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

this is epic, i'm dead :lol:

:billymaythumbup:

OfflineTapioka
Noob
Male

Loc: Sydney
    #25258477 - 06/09/18 10:20 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for this. very helpful.

--------------------
Aussie Noob.

Experienced Cannabis grower with an interest in mycology.
Mainly interested in microdosing

OfflineBatchScript
Stranger

#25328345 - 07/15/18 08:07 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation