Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
Death to "fruiting conditions" & "choking". All hail "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". * 15
    #29375595 -

One of our new members who I won't name asked me in a private message about when to initiate "fruiting conditions".  (You know who you are, and if you're reading this, please know that I deeply appreciate you and your thoughtful questions and I am only posting this for posterity)
so, I responded with what should probably have been a post, long ago. so, I decided to make a post because I feel like I have to give this ted talk several times a week anyway.

Before anyone can say "but exotics", this thread is about cubes. I know, some superstar noobs like Kloakk will jump right into exotics, but for the most part, the new members are trying to grow cubes. This thread is for new members. Just hang your pedanticism at the door please. Here is what I told the guy when he asked: (I've edited a considerable amount)

✸-✸-✸-------------------------------✸-✸-✸


edit 2/27/26

Fruiting a tub is easily learned but does but does not lend itself to explanation by way of the written word.  Its like riding a bicycle.  You learn by doing it.  However it is my hope that this little article will help you to understand how to begin to pedal.

The question I was asked, and the question we hear a lot and tips us off to knowing when someone has been getting their information from reddit, was this:

"When do I initiate 'fruiting conditions'?" i.e. "when do i start fae" (fresh air exchange)

My answer will always be this:

"You are in "fruiting conditions" and have been since you spawned. (Presumably, in open air, with bare, filthy hands using substrate that wasn't even pasteurized) "Fruiting conditions" is either an antiquated term from the early 2000s or a term we only use with exotics and medicinals. (At least, around here. On Reddit, its apparently still gospel)

With cubes, we don't ever "choke". i.e. close off airflow like they'll tell you to do on reddit.  it's maddening that it still gets thrown around.  "don't open it!" is the official slogan of reddit cult forum. They choke their substrates until they grow trich, then they'll say, "your spawn was contaminated! or you shouldn't have opened it!" what horseshit. There's zero risk of contaminating a healthy sub like that. (This member's substrate looked amazing at the time) You allow trich to take over by giving it favorable conditions and weakening your myc. (by choking) PERIOD. Trich is omnipresent.  It's literally in every breath you take.

The moment you open your grain jars; you're in "fruiting conditions".

Just focus on surface conditions.  Just keep it sparkling.  No sparkle? Mist.
Too big of sparkles?  More air. Find the balance.
:magicfingers:

Once you grasp this concept, this balancing act, you can fruit in ANYTHING!  See the novelty grow thread.  I've fruited fish bowls, big jars, little to-go cups etc. 


Have you seen the museum? A thousand examples of people creating evaporative balance in all kinds of different containers and environments.

If there's one thing I want to teach you, it's this:

"fruiting" is not a procedure.  it's not an exact process.  it's not do this or do that.  i see a lot of bullshit advice like "just crack the lid; just drill 3/8" holes; just fan it; just run a ceiling fan."

silence the voices. silence them all.  any time you hear prescriptive advice, you know it's a noob talking. 

There are too many factors for any bit of prescriptive advice to be meaningful.  air temp.  atmospheric pressure/elevation.  relative humidity.  field capacity variation.  maybe you have a fan?  maybe a forced air furnace? maybe this maybe that!

Silence the worry. silence the "what ifs"


Its INTUITIVE! just focus on the surface conditions.  use your head! use your intuition.  small changes if at all!
you're every bit as intelligent as any of us "tc's".  we just have more intuition built up.

you got this.  have faith in yourself.

beef"

✸-✸-✸------end of message-----✸-✸-✸


Let "choking" die. Let "fruiting conditions" be buried beside it in a shallow grave. Let the fear of taking pictures of your substrate with the lid off for fear of contamination be dragged to death by wild horses until it is a grizzled corpse then let the coyotes and vultures finish the job.

In their place, let a new generation of intuitive growers reign.

Sincerely,


BEEF SUPREME JUNIOR

Edited by BeefExtreme (02/27/26 05:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: BeefExtreme] * 3
    #29375624 -

Quote:
Let "choking" die.



Is autoerotic asphyxiation still ok?


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon] * 5
    #29375627 -

as long as its consensual.


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: BeefExtreme] * 6
    #29375628 -

Hey Siri, how do you get a belt's consent?


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon] * 3
    #29375631 -

Agreed , cubes should never be over thought , clean spawn wet sub surface conditions harvest


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29375633 -

PuffM4gicDr4gon said:
Hey Siri, how do you get a belt's consent?



Bud. There are some questions what are utterly without answers.


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29375634 -

all u need for a fat tubz is full colonization fresh air and evaporation  enviorment changes a few times a day :headbang3:


--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: cronicr]
    #29375635 -

cronicr said:
Agreed , cubes should never be over thought , clean spawn wet sub surface conditions harvest



:magicfingers:


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: BeefExtreme]
    #29375639 -

Preach, brother beef!


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the "intuitive process of fruiting". [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29375641 -

ReverendMyc said:
Preach, brother beef!



My sermons are but a garnish in your chapel, rev.


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: BeefExtreme] * 1
    #29375665 -

That magic sparkles guy is hilarious


--------------------
The Hitchikers Guide to the Shroomery

Sometimes you just have to shut up and color!
~CMS Wilbur

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: OLDDAD77]
    #29375670 -

really surface conditions really aint as imporant as humid air all the sub has to do is evaporate constantly u can have puddles of water that will dry up pretty quick w frash air exchanges its all about air :rockon:


--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: BeefExtreme] * 3
    #29375671 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #29375674 -

Holy shit man. Good to see you around lately. I don't know if I ever told you this but, you were by far the most instrumental teacher I ever had in this hobby. So thanks.


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: BeefExtreme] * 1
    #29375686 -

Glad you're still around

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #29375758 -

I'd actually argue, based on recent personal experience, that I'm in fruiting conditions when I have a fully colonized agar plate, when I leave a quart jar sitting for too long, when I transfer said quart to a sealed plastic carryout container to free up the jar, etc.

I should take pictures of this stuff, but that would involve getting my shit together, which is an inherent paradox because if I had my shit together most of this wouldn't happen (with the exception of some percentage of the plin farming.)

But seriously, bro, if you're just trying to trip every once in a while to manage your dunning-kruger disorder or just to get high or whatever and have to worry about a landlord or your mom or prison guards or whatever:

Just do agar and collect plins. Dry them with a hand fan while laid out on a sunny windowsill. Once you got a few dozen plins, it's go time. Chug them with some lemon juice and syrian rue.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: B Traven]
    #29375763 -

If you took two colonized grain jars , cased one and opened it n tossed in a fc and left the other as is what will happen?


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: cronicr]
    #29375790 -

:camping:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: B Traven] * 1
    #29375792 -

B Traven said:
I'd actually argue, based on recent personal experience, that I'm in fruiting conditions when I have a fully colonized agar plate, when I leave a quart jar sitting for too long, when I transfer said quart to a sealed plastic carryout container to free up the jar, etc.

I should take pictures of this stuff, but that would involve getting my shit together, which is an inherent paradox because if I had my shit together most of this wouldn't happen (with the exception of some percentage of the plin farming.)

But seriously, bro, if you're just trying to trip every once in a while to manage your dunning-kruger disorder or just to get high or whatever and have to worry about a landlord or your mom or prison guards or whatever:

Just do agar and collect plins. Dry them with a hand fan while laid out on a sunny windowsill. Once you got a few dozen plins, it's go time. Chug them with some lemon juice and syrian rue.




i laughed like a little snake


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Death to "fruiting conditions" "choking" and the exaltation of "surface conditions" and the... [Re: cronicr] * 1
    #29375834 -

cronicr said:
If you took two colonized grain jars , cased one and opened it n tossed in a fc and left the other as is what will happen?



Oh, I actually ran that experiment.

The cased jar threw out some lackluster fruits and then triched out.

The jar I left alone threw out a whole mini crop that I had to scrape off before spawning.

OK, so the cased jar was one that looked super bacterial so I went with top-fruiting, and the jar I left alone was one my gangbuster pinning cultures that I let sit for 4 months because I was so busy harvesting and processing its cousins in tubs that would JUST NEVER FUCKING QUIT. Like, check-out's at 11, and here it is 6 PM, and these compatible myc strains still have the do not disturb sign on the door while they just keep banging.

But I don't think any of those factors are relevant.

Point is, I ran the experiment.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Prepinning in fruiting conditions? f8L 4,021 9 09/28/02 10:38 PM
by f8L
* optimum fruiting conditions vs. native land conditions GestaltAssault 2,904 1 07/20/03 04:34 PM
by Psilocybin_monkey
* Colonization after pin/fruiting conditions established. Che_Night_Soil 4,151 6 04/16/03 09:16 AM
by Che_Night_Soil
* Incubation and Fruiting Conditions for Different Strains havatampa 1,297 2 10/23/03 01:38 PM
by havatampa
* fruiting conditions eoPh 2,128 1 02/11/03 01:38 PM
by dr4g0n
* Fruiting Trays....? DannyBoy 13,711 6 07/25/09 04:19 PM
by thebosko
* Same fruiting chamber? Cakes and cases... Theta 2,671 4 11/01/02 02:52 PM
by StS
* Which strains pin and fruit EASIEST?
( 1 2 all )
Fd3000 10,619 21 08/30/02 06:22 AM
by blacktarropium

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
4,080 topic views. 20 members, 280 guests and 278 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.045 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.