Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1399 | 1400 | 1401 | 1402 | 1403 | 1404 | 1405 | 1406 | 1407 | 1408 | 1409 | 1410 | 1411 | 1412 | 1413 | 1414 | 1415 | 1416 | 1417 | 1418 | 1419 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29117821 -

Ight, I might be able to spare tree fiddy. I admit, I'm working off what I've read and seen here and haven't actually seen the source material so I'll check it out for sure. Thanks amigo.


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 1
    #29117824 -

A handy method to remove bacterial contamination from fungal cultures
https://sci-hub.se/10.1371/journal.%20pone.0224635

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: catnip40]
    #29117833 -

Or hot pour

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja] * 1
    #29117842 -

Alright, this is too many options for a guy with an IQ of 48 and I'm drunk. Love you assholes, but I'm going hack to PF Tek. Fuck it. ✌️


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 4
    #29117845 -

Gbttfbn.
Get back to the fucking basics noob.
It's what I tell myself every 365 days ...reset redo rethink review. Don't get complacent


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: cronicr] * 2
    #29118132 -

Ok, don't get triggered now.

I received a wedge, but unfortunately it stayed in my mailbox in freezing temperatures for a few hours at least.

When I saw the wedge, it was black like this. I don't think it is mold, looks more like frozen fruits that have burst. Makes sense it would happen like that on agar as well.



I did put it on some plates so here's hoping, but does anyone have insights on this? Is this a normal reaction for wedges exposed to freezing temps? How likely do you think I might get some growth from it?

I saved the baggie just in case in the fridge, would like to not loose those two potential cultures. THe other one wasn't as bad, but had black elements on it.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


Huskies' Grimoire
The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Easy Instant Pot Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29118145 -

freezing and thawing will cause cells to break and cause bruising

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: catnip40]
    #29118159 -

^ do you think that will have killed all of the cells? hopefully something turns up, ill be ready for transfers as soon as there is a leading edge

edit: it was charcoal agar that's why it was black.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


Huskies' Grimoire
The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Easy Instant Pot Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Edited by Huskies (02/08/25 03:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: cronicr]
    #29118289 -

What's going on in the center of this plate?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29118864 -

Huskies said:
I received a wedge, but unfortunately it stayed in my mailbox in freezing temperatures for a few hours at least.

When I saw the wedge, it was black like this. I don't think it is mold, looks more like frozen fruits that have burst. Makes sense it would happen like that on agar as well.






Is that from me? I sent out some x7x+ wedges that were on black agar (with activated charcoal) in those exact same bag type.

I thought I sent a note to the people I sent it to but it's possible I missed one. 

Even if that's not from me, I bet that's the story. Black agar, plus wedges almost always look squishy like that from going through the mail machines.

Here's one (that grew out a bit, packed the bags about 2 weeks before I took this) in the same bag.


Here's a charcoal plate:

Edited by nektar61 (02/09/25 02:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 2
    #29118951 -

cabin sequestering is pretty simple check out this post it links to the video and the timestamp for the demonstration.

Edit:
I just realized that the CS technique does actually call for and use coverslips. You can see that is what they're actually using in their photos in the paper.

Note the clean squares in the top 4 photos, those are the coverslips.


My confusion came from the video demo that is floating around on here by Paul, where he creates the roofs/coverslips with agar from the same or another plate.

From the photos of CS I've seen here on the forums most people are doing this and not actually using coverslips.

They mention this in the paper
Quote:
Cother and Priest [16] described a method by putting a small amount of contaminated agar culture in a Petri dish and covering a large piece of fresh agar, then placing a second small, fresh agar plug on top of the large agar. Once the mycelium has emerged in the second plug, transfer it onto a new agar plate. However, to handle a lager agar is also a difficult operation which easily brings new contaminations.



So it's a perfectly valid way to remove bacteria still. The authors just thought coverslips were easier to use than messing around with another piece of agar for the roof.

Edited by sage_bd (02/09/25 10:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 4
    #29119379 -




cf. papuana ready for some LC :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: PhenoDreamers]
    #29119455 -

those look great. do you cut bigger pieces of agar cuz it's easier to handle or sometimes big, sometimes small depending?

also, any thoughts on the cabin roof discussion for cs? Now I'm not clear if you want two pieces of clean agar for your roof? and transfer the second piece? :shrug:


--------------------
Learn it, know it, live it


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mackload] * 4
    #29119475 -

I was going to wait until it grew out even more but it does appear that I was premature in my assessment of the scallop cs.  I just didn’t give it enough time.  I don’t want ppl thinking it’s not doing what it’s suppose to. 

It is filling in where I thought the scallop was going to continue. 


I’ll update later when it’s more grown but wanted to put possible unease to rest

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster]
    #29119512 -

Casper T2: looking very nice :-)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster]
    #29119544 -

which spot(s) will you harvest?  0730ish?  I'd like to see how the 0900 grows by itself too but it looks spiky.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster]
    #29119560 -

fahtster said:
It’s also pretty early.  This may have been premature.. it just looks like it’s going to scallop but I’ll revisit once it’s grown out more.  But I will be trying just the sequestering too.  I’m not sure I get the glass cover slip though… there’s nutrient agar underneath it.  Why would just a piece of glass stop bacteria, especially if the bacteria is riding along with the myc?  Idk, maybe there’s a mechanism going on I’m just not getting atm.  I’m about done thinking about it for now lol



I wrote up this describing how CS works.

Quote:
sage_bd said:
Here is a photo of some bacteria on spores:



the abstract it says this:

Quote:
A handy method to remove bacterial contamination from fungal cultures said:
we developed a new method for bacterial removal from fungi cultured on solid medium, the Cabin-Sequestering (CS) method, based on the different culture characteristics between fungi and bacteria. [...] After 7–10 days of culturing, fungal hyphae grow out along the edge of the coverslip; however, the contaminating bacteria cannot pass through the space formed between the medium and the coverslip and, thus, remain in the cabin. The newly grown fungal hyphae around the coverslip are re-inoculated into fresh culture plates, where they form bacteria-free fungal colonies.




So its the agar-agar walls of the cabin that are physically blocking the bacteria from riding along on the myc as the myc penetrates the agar. If I'm understanding the paper correctly.

My assumptions here are that myc is really good at penetrating things since it helps trees share nutrients in the forest etc which is how it gets through the sealed agar cabin, hence sequestering the bacteria in the cabin.

Please anyone feel free to correct me if there's a flaw in my logic here, just trying to learn and spread the good word.

edit: I just scanned the paper a tiny bit more and in section 3.1 found the following

Quote:
paper said:
The M. oryzae hyphae can penetrate into the surrounding medium and bypass the coverslip to grow and form new colonies around it. In contrast, the bacteria are restricted by the solid medium and the coverslip, and, thus, they are retained in the cabins under the coverslip. The fungal hyphae around the coverslip are reinoculated onto new CM plates.







Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 6
    #29119564 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mackload] * 1
    #29119571 -

Not sure exactly what you mean 🤔 I use one big clean piece for the roof of the cs. As for size of the wedge I use bigger pieces for some cultures if it's already clean and just making a final plates. But I have noticed also with some species that can be prone to a stall, like sect. cordisporae, it's less likely to stall if you do cut a huge wedge. Otherwise I usually use small transfers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: fahtster] * 1
    #29119598 -

Very excited to see where this will go. I've previously had scalloping myc that I simply COULD NOT STOP scalloping even with like 5 transfers in. Not even by carefully taking aerial myc from a non-scalloping part :mad2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1399 | 1400 | 1401 | 1402 | 1403 | 1404 | 1405 | 1406 | 1407 | 1408 | 1409 | 1410 | 1411 | 1412 | 1413 | 1414 | 1415 | 1416 | 1417 | 1418 | 1419 | | Last >

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 71 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 75 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,839 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,392 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,007 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,703 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,326 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,940 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,322 topic views. 14 members, 52 guests and 154 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.055 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 16 queries.