Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1388 | 1389 | 1390 | 1391 | 1392 | 1393 | 1394 | 1395 | 1396 | 1397 | 1398 | 1399 | 1400 | 1401 | 1402 | 1403 | 1404 | 1405 | 1406 | 1407 | 1408 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja] * 1
    #29106384 -

If I get some prints πŸ˜‚

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja]
    #29106869 -



is the consensus that the non-uniform growth in all of these esp the 3rd, 4th & 5th plate mean these are all bacterial? They've all come form the same swab plate so that would be my guess.. They're all T3/4s

Edited by sage_bd (01/29/25 04:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 1
    #29106988 -

I would say mold before bacteria  with out any other info/pics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja]
    #29107215 -

Oh interesting, what makes you say mold?

The green agar was a terrible choice on my part, I was curious how it would turn out (I didn't like it). Its a version of PDA, relatively high nutrient. Its got potato flakes in it that don't dissolve fully which makes the colors you add to it a bit lighter and the agar isn't transparent.

The black has activated carbon in it and is low nutrient LME.

The variety is APE, and I had trouble getting it to germinate, but when it did the growth just looked off. The myc was pretty thick though on the PDA.

Here is a cleaner plate.



Here is the 3rd plate again:


I've also had very little visible contamination on my agar plates for reference. I've had contams grow from trying to clone wild mushrooms, and I forgot to PC my first batch of agar so that had contams pop up left and right but since then I haven't run into anything visible popping up unexpectedly on my plates other than some weird growth like in the 5th plate. I've seen that kind of growth a lot with my APE plates though.

I'm planning on trying CS on everything I have to clean them up, just learned about CS like 2 days ago, but had heard folks talking about it in passing either here or in QQQA.

Thanks for the input Lew.

Edited by sage_bd (01/29/25 09:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 3
    #29107226 -

I will defer to Lew on spotting mold mycelium as I still struggle with that myself, but its my understanding that cabin sequestering / trap door tek is for cleaning up bacterial contamination as it can't spread up through the agar. Where as mold mycleium can. I do not believe its an appropriate method for cleaning up mold.

But I also defer to any more knowledgeable members to correct me if I am mistaken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Henry Swanson] * 1
    #29107231 -

Yeah CS is for bacteria only is my understanding too, which is what people told me about the first jars of grain I posted so that was mostly why I mentioned it.

I'm curious to learn why those plates look like mold.

I made a long post about how it works in SupaThaRipper's Spores and Cultures: A Comprehensive Guide because someone mentioned gravity effecting the bacterial growth and I didn't think that was how the technique worked.

Thoughts/opinions are welcome on the clean plate I posted too, I was thinking about sending it to grain tomorrow.

Still just trying to learn, and enjoying the process :biggrin:.

Edited by sage_bd (01/29/25 10:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 2
    #29107236 -

You and me both :lol::toast:

From what I gather mold mycelium can look like tomentose mycelium, but healthy active myc will have a more uniform growth reaching out in the same direction, where mold myc will head off in multiple directions.

See below for example of healthy myc from Supa


*Edit*
You probably have already seen this thread, but if not it can also help with identifying contams on your plates.
Agar Plates and Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook

Edited by Henry Swanson (01/29/25 10:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Henry Swanson]
    #29107260 -

Thanks for sharing, I'll take a look at it again I came across it a while back. I think the myc I have looks like that picture but I don't have a trained eye by any means.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Henry Swanson] * 1
    #29107286 -

Henry Swanson said:
You and me both :lol::toast:

From what I gather mold mycelium can look like tomentose mycelium, but healthy active myc will have a more uniform growth reaching out in the same direction, where mold myc will head off in multiple directions.

See below for example of healthy myc from Supa


*Edit*
You probably have already seen this thread, but if not it can also help with identifying contams on your plates.
Agar Plates and Hidden Contaminants. A Visual Notebook



The white mold I've had looks like dog hair to me. I doubt very much that's helpful for anyone, but my brain looks for dog hair...


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 1
    #29107359 -

sage_bd said:
Oh interesting, what makes you say mold?

The green agar was a terrible choice on my part, I was curious how it would turn out (I didn't like it). Its a version of PDA, relatively high nutrient. Its got potato flakes in it that don't dissolve fully which makes the colors you add to it a bit lighter and the agar isn't transparent.

The black has activated carbon in it and is low nutrient LME.

The variety is APE, and I had trouble getting it to germinate, but when it did the growth just looked off. The myc was pretty thick though on the PDA.

Here is a cleaner plate.



Here is the 3rd plate again:


I've also had very little visible contamination on my agar plates for reference. I've had contams grow from trying to clone wild mushrooms, and I forgot to PC my first batch of agar so that had contams pop up left and right but since then I haven't run into anything visible popping up unexpectedly on my plates other than some weird growth like in the 5th plate. I've seen that kind of growth a lot with my APE plates though.

I'm planning on trying CS on everything I have to clean them up, just learned about CS like 2 days ago, but had heard folks talking about it in passing either here or in QQQA.

Thanks for the input Lew.



I feel called-out. Instant potato flakes and green food coloring is my one and only jam. Sometimes it comes out clear, sometimes not so much.

I personally would do a few more transfers and observe.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 1
    #29107369 -

Sorry I wasn't necessarily saying that it was mold, more like how I didn't see any bacteria (with the given info/pic)... and that it was kinda funky so ..... mold > bacteria. But I agree with the others on another transfer on most

Those back lit pics are important to include with any agar questions...

1 & 2 look alright, I'd still take a small Transfer before taking to grain.
Three looks good around 4:20 (first pic) 4 iffy & 5:shrug:

Edited by LewDoja (01/30/25 04:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: B Traven] * 2
    #29107763 -

lol sorry, I just didn't like how the green turned out I tend to like more of a forest green and this was more of a slime green. I feel like I prefer blue/teal because its the default color here on the forums.

More transfers it is. Thanks guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd]
    #29107770 -

sage_bd said:
lol sorry, I just didn't like how the green turned out I tend to like more of a forest green and this was more of a slime green. I feel like I prefer blue/teal because its the default color here on the forums.

More transfers it is. Thanks guys.



I have had lots of trouble getting my green plates as dark as I want them. The last batch I did looked awesome in the pan, but it lightened up a little after the PC run.

I did some blue ones that looked great, and made it easier for me to see germination.


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 4
    #29107906 -

I am not really familiar with pans and I am looking for a second opinion on these plates.  The first two pictures are
MIB.    The third and fourth are WEZA.  The agar has some air bubbles.  Should I take another transfer?

Pan Cyan MIB


Same plate with backlighting.


Pan Cyan WEZA


Same plate with backlighting


--------------------
My name isn't Ernie and I have never played golf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: golfin_ernie] * 1
    #29107957 -

Those look good to me. With pans fast and wispy is what you’re after. A lot of people will send T0’s if they’re clean. Not much benefit in doing multiple transfers for them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Henry Swanson]
    #29107964 -

Henry Swanson said:
Those look good to me. With pans fast and wispy is what you’re after. A lot of people will send T0’s if they’re clean. Not much benefit in doing multiple transfers for them.



This is excellent info to have, thanks! I've got my first pans (from spores!) going for LAGM 2025... looks like I need to hurry up and figure out what they like for grains and substrate!


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 3
    #29108741 -












--------------------
𝕴𝖋 𝕴 π–π–†π–›π–Š π–˜π–Šπ–Šπ–“ π–‹π–šπ–—π–™π–π–Šπ–— π–Žπ–™ π–Žπ–˜ π–‡π–ž π–˜π–™π–†π–“π–‰π–Žπ–“π–Œ π–šπ–•π–”π–“ π–™π–π–Š π–˜π–π–”π–šπ–‘π–‰π–Šπ–—π–˜ 𝖔𝖋 π•²π–Žπ–†π–“π–™π–˜
:drugnerd: TekDeck        Autist Tally :laugh:

"Mother Mycelium, I wandered in the darkness of unmarked plates and forgotten codes. Enlighten me with clarity and discipline, that every jar and dish shall bear its true name."

"Luminous Logos, I faltered in my shorthand faith. Grant me the diligence to record in full, and the foresight to recall every meaning with certainty."

-Father LewDoja

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tri] * 7
    #29108868 -

deng fahts.  this new yeti is a ropey sombish



--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: PhenoDreamers] * 1
    #29109376 -

SupaThaRipper said:


Wild spores of Ps. hoogshagenii germinating nicely :smile:



That looks awesome my man, is that the josex poke transfer?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Jebi] * 2
    #29109387 -

No josex poke is a cloning method. This is just a germination plate with nasopharyngeal swabs :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1388 | 1389 | 1390 | 1391 | 1392 | 1393 | 1394 | 1395 | 1396 | 1397 | 1398 | 1399 | 1400 | 1401 | 1402 | 1403 | 1404 | 1405 | 1406 | 1407 | 1408 | | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,321 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,336 topic views. 14 members, 827 guests and 133 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.05 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 16 queries.