Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1167 | 1168 | 1169 | 1170 | 1171 | 1172 | 1173 | 1174 | 1175 | 1176 | 1177 | 1178 | 1179 | 1180 | 1181 | 1182 | 1183 | 1184 | 1185 | 1186 | 1187 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MicroMycelium] * 3
    #28467658 -

To clarify - germination is when a spore or seed sprouts.

When a colony spreads it would be colonization.


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MicroMycelium]
    #28467661 -

MicroMycelium said:
Do you recall the shortest and longest you’ve done transfer off water agar?
I’m planning to try a couple more plates from the same donor plate and take transfers from the outer edge at the earliest signs of germination, around 2/3 and after full colonization of the WA plate.
Then compare the resulting germination appearance and speed on regular MYA.



I find that full colonization doesn't really occur on water agar. They only tend to grow out to about 1-3cm usually diameter. I would transfer any time after 1cm diameter, from the leading edge. Usually that's after a week or so.

Interested to see the results of your experimentation if you do that.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #28467669 -

Update on original Ps. Cyanescens dilution plates.

No visible germination on any of the original Ps. Cyanescens dilution plates I did which were on water agar. However I was scanning a few under the microscope and found this.



There are no nearby spores so I think this one looks like a fairly safe monokaryon.

I was able to spot it using the 10x microscope objective which is nice since that allows me to cover a lot of surface area fairly quickly. I think the technique for catching the germinations early is not searching for single spores which is labour intensive but a few days after inoculation to start to scan the plates daily or twice daily looking for for hyphae using the 10x objective.

Going to transfer this straight away. Planning to do as small a transfer as possible. I think I am ok with doing the transfer face down if I am able to so the hyphae comes into contact with nutrient agar immediately. From what I have seen they don't get starved of oxygen too quickly for them to find the edge although I may be wrong for a mycelium of such small size.

It looks like hyphae grew from both sides of the spore. Cool.

Here is the completed transfer. It is face down.





I'll keep an eye on it under the microscope. For all I know this spore might have germinated days ago and has terminated.

Edited by covertjoy (09/13/23 03:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: huey.bluey]
    #28467690 -

huey.bluey said:
hidden contams ^
I'm not an expert, but this looks like sectoring on some plates. sometimes the myc diverges into fuzzy and threadlike sections. you gotta keep picking for the thick threaded sections. I guess it could be cobweb or bacteria but I'd imagine it would make the myc run after getting entangled.



Thank you both for answering. I'm having a hard time accepting this is bacterial or moldy. I see no film on the surface of the medium when i put it under light, BUT I'm looking at the post you linked to and see this shit can be more tricky. 
I thought it might be the medium recipe or something.
I'm gonna go cry now, cause i thought i nailed it with the agar finally.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #28468000 -

What’s the fastest you’ve seen spore germination on agar? My ghost is showing very opaque growth on my swab marks. Only 5 days. Ksss ufo still nothing.


--------------------
“Sunny days wouldn't be special if it wasn't for rain.” – Curtis Jackson
“There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible.” – Maria Sabina

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: 0mar] * 1
    #28468009 -

I've seen someone post fresh spores germinating in 24 hours


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: 0mar]
    #28468016 -

0mar said:
What’s the fastest you’ve seen spore germination on agar? My ghost is showing very opaque growth on my swab marks. Only 5 days. Ksss ufo still nothing.



Recently had Natalensis spores germ in 48 hours.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #28468034 -

okay thanks! maybe I finally did it boys way more germination spots than my mold plates!


--------------------
“Sunny days wouldn't be special if it wasn't for rain.” – Curtis Jackson
“There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible.” – Maria Sabina

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AspectOfTheCreator]
    #28468035 -

I've heard p.nats are fast af but that stupid fast. :smirk:


--------------------
“Sunny days wouldn't be special if it wasn't for rain.” – Curtis Jackson
“There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible.” – Maria Sabina

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy]
    #28468039 -

covertjoy said:
Update on original Ps. Cyanescens dilution plates.



very nice! I didn't realize a single spore sent out multiple hyphae like that either. That is cool. How'd you do that tiny transfer? with a needle?

threw away a dozen-ish cups/plates today from a bad transfer session over the weekend. Noticed a T1 cup I already transferred from started throwing ropes so I grabbed a few of those tonight.


Also what's considered the leading edge exactly? The thin growth shooting off or the edge where it starts to thicken?


--------------------
The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it?
It's the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: 0mar]
    #28468120 -

0mar said:
I've heard p.nats are fast af but that stupid fast. :smirk:



Maybe should have added that it was on grain water agar


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AspectOfTheCreator]
    #28468178 -

what do I do with much of my old spore germ plates? I guess dump, ive already transferred and superseded them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: huey.bluey] * 1
    #28468194 -

huey.bluey said:
what do I do with much of my old spore germ plates?



I compost them. All of my agar that's not jar bound is compost bound. Fingers crossed something takes and I get mushrooms when it rains.


--------------------
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that do not.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: JXAllen] * 1
    #28468201 -

Thats a good idea :smile: ill put em outside near the garden

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: NotFromGeorgia]
    #28468346 -

NotFromGeorgia said:
very nice! I didn't realize a single spore sent out multiple hyphae like that either. That is cool. How'd you do that tiny transfer? with a needle?



I had marked the underside of the petridish while under the microscope with a small circle around the germinated spore using a 0.1mm fine liner pen. To do the transfer I had to tilt the petridish towards myself slightly so I was looking directly down on it and used a scalpel, making four straight cuts like this:



It created a little column. When I moved it onto to receiving plate it started out on it's side so I used the tip of the scalpel to turn it on it's end so the germinated spore is sandwiched between the transfer and the new agar surface.

I tried previously to do a transfer using a needle and didn't have good success. I also tried poking and scraping a more established mycelium with a needle and then stabbing it into a receiving plate to see if that works, that was only yesterday so waiting for the results of that.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy]
    #28468357 -

About 4 days into testing my LC on agar.
I put a couple drops and let it slide around.
LC made with a josex poke from the interior of a clone.

How we looking? Clean?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) *DELETED* [Re: MicroMycelium]
    #28468396 -

Post deleted by Sun-flare

Reason for deletion: security

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Sun-flare] * 1
    #28468432 -

Sun-flare said:

Does this looks like mycelium to you ?
It is supposed to be lions mane.



Yes that is lion’s mane. It really looks different than most other mushroom mycelium I have experience with. Just wait until it tries to escape!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: huey.bluey] * 1
    #28468512 -

huey.bluey said:
what do I do with much of my old spore germ plates? I guess dump, ive already transferred and superseded them.



You could also keep them and hope you get a plate pin to clone


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy]
    #28468538 -

covertjoy said:
I tried previously to do a transfer using a needle and didn't have good success. I also tried poking and scraping a more established mycelium with a needle and then stabbing it into a receiving plate to see if that works, that was only yesterday so waiting for the results of that.



I haven't had success with needle transfers yet either. Sounds like you have a very steady hand for those tiny cuts


--------------------
The most important step a man can take. It's not the first one, is it?
It's the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1167 | 1168 | 1169 | 1170 | 1171 | 1172 | 1173 | 1174 | 1175 | 1176 | 1177 | 1178 | 1179 | 1180 | 1181 | 1182 | 1183 | 1184 | 1185 | 1186 | 1187 | | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,295 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
774,980 topic views. 22 members, 54 guests and 75 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.05 seconds spending 0.026 seconds on 18 queries.