Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1157 | 1158 | 1159 | 1160 | 1161 | 1162 | 1163 | 1164 | 1165 | 1166 | 1167 | 1168 | 1169 | 1170 | 1171 | 1172 | 1173 | 1174 | 1175 | 1176 | 1177 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: 0mar]
    #28457030 -

I remember a member who spawned green jars and still managed to get mushrooms somehow. He had a massive outbreak from it too, but it was pretty amazing he managed to get a fruit at all spawning that trash.


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #28457312 -

nature always finds a way but im trying to be as proper as possible even if that yields headaches and massive disappointment... I'll get there some day hopefully:sad:


--------------------
“Sunny days wouldn't be special if it wasn't for rain.” – Curtis Jackson
“There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible.” – Maria Sabina

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: 0mar]
    #28457313 -

0mar said:
nature always finds a way but im trying to be as proper as possible even if that yields headaches and massive disappointment... I'll get there some day hopefully:sad:



Bro this is OT but your profile pic is so good. I'd eat anything that cat served


--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Pnin] * 1
    #28457329 -

LOL thank you!!! bro is hard at work and so cute. not all cats makes biscuits some make tacos:heart:


--------------------
“Sunny days wouldn't be special if it wasn't for rain.” – Curtis Jackson
“There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible.” – Maria Sabina

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato] * 3
    #28457475 -



Just finished a serial dilution of Psilocybe Cyanescens down to 2 spores per drop followed by inoculation of germination plates. 9 drops per plate in a grid formation.

I used water agar since I had these plates poured that I didn't really have another purpose for. Ideally I wouldn't have germinated to water agar. In my experience it works but has a lower germination rate than regular LME, also germination is harder to notice on the water agar since it is weaker and wispier. It was this or discard them though.

As any germination occurs I will put them under the microscope and inspect whether the germination is from a single spore and that there are no other spores in close proximity. Assuming that to be the case I will transfer the single spore germination to it's own plate and label it as a monokaryon culture.

The purple plates are some older water agar plates I had, a few weeks old I guess. The two plates by themselves I inoculated in the same way but with 20 spore per drop solution.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy]
    #28457540 -

I think that deserves its own thread.:popcorn:


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #28457557 -

tryptkaloids said:
I think that deserves its own thread.:popcorn:



If the project is successful I will make one :cool:

Assuming my method and technique was good I expect in the 100 inoculation drops, let's be generous and say there are 50 isolated spores. Stamets reckons that only 1-5% of spores will germinate so averaging that at 3% and then halving it for using water agar gives me a 1.5% chance of any spore germinating. With 50 isolated spores that's a 75% chance on average of getting one.

I'll repeat it with proper germination plates in a few days.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy] * 6
    #28457580 -

The drops have set so I have been exploring one of the plates under the microscope. First drop I searched I didn't find any spores but on the second drop I found two stuck together.



The colours are enhanced. The spores actually are red though.

I've searched the entire rest of that drop and these two are the only spores there, so the dilution appears to have been successful. I will continue searching drops for spores.


--------------------

Edited by covertjoy (09/03/23 07:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy]
    #28457584 -

:thumbsup::snoopyes:


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy]
    #28457790 -

covertjoy said:
The drops have set so I have been exploring one of the plates under the microscope. First drop I searched I didn't find any spores but on the second drop I found two stuck together.







So fuckin cool


--------------------
Astra said:

“Peace River has a gentle personality, yet TTBVI hit me like strong LSD with a twist of medical grade meth. Not for the faint of heart.”

Team Panaeolus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: 0mar]
    #28457794 -

0mar said:
Bustaboo said:
Mine have a ton of condensation at first even when pouring at 117 degrees. It’s been clearing up pretty good after a day or 2.




do you have them bagged up?



They maintain a lot of condensation bagged up, but when I use them I put 3 wraps of glad wrap around them and they start clearing up after that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TheAtlantean]
    #28457798 -

Makes me feel a little inadequate when I was thinking my AtA transfer of B+ was looking good, lol!


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: OnTheSpectrum]
    #28457801 -

It is looking good!


--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy]
    #28457836 -

Awesome!

I've been considering buying a microscope, there one you'd recommend?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: plate.82]
    #28457868 -

I always struggle to get anything to work with from a spore print. Could someone suggest a Tek or any tips?

At the moment I use swabs. I'll drop some sterile water onto the swab, take a swipe of the print and streak it onto a no pour agar plate with 2% nutes and agar. I'll then use a fresh swab to streak across the plate a few more times.

So far I've only ended up with this, which I'm fairly certain is mould:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: plate.82] * 1
    #28457900 -

plate.82 said:
Awesome!

I've been considering buying a microscope, there one you'd recommend?



Mine is a second hand Motic B3 Series which I got for £200 on eBay and has brightfield, darkfield, phase contrast and polarisation modes. I do recommend a nice second hand one, microscopy enthusiasts seem to me to be people who look after their equipment and are honest, although that's a generalisation. The previous owner of this scope kept in touch and asks how I am getting on with it and gives me advice on how to use it effectively.

That said, for a new microscope the entry level AmScope microscopes have a good reputation. I used to have an equivalent one, the Swift 380T, which was good.

For looking into a petridish I use a very shallow pour and look through the underside. Using 4x and 10x objectives this works well (which combined with the 10x eyepiece gives 40x and 100x magnification). At 40x magnification (4x objective) the spores are just visible but difficult to differentiate from any debris, although I am able to cover a lot of surface area this way. At 100x (10x objective) the spores are more obvious.

To go up to 400x (which most recommend for mycology and which the photo in my previous post was taken at) you need a special objective if you want to look into petridishes. I added a new objective to my microscope which is a LWD (long working distance) 40x objective with a 0-2mm correction collar. The correction collar is very important as most objectives are configured to work with a 0.17mm cover slide which is not appropriate for a 1mm think petridish wall + agar. I got this objective second hand for £75 on eBay.



This is a single spore from the dilution inoculations. The image is somewhat crisper when looking through the scope, especially for 40x and 100x. The camera is where my microscope is weakest.

I actually found very few spores on the plates inoculated with the '2 spores per drop' solution although I was scanning quickly with the 40x magnification so probably missed some. The spore in the pictures here is from one of the plates with the '20 spores per drop' which I think is actually more like 1 spore per drop and the weaker solution more like 1 spore per 10 drops.

Not sure what the other structures are, they appear when I use solution from a test tube that has the dishwasher rinse aid added. Could be to do with the rinse aid or could be to do with the fact that I pressure cooked these plastic (polypropylene) test tubes with distilled water in them before making the solutions. Actually I find that these structures are useful for finding where the drops are for searching.

Edited by covertjoy (09/04/23 03:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: covertjoy] * 5
    #28457907 -

Look at this nerd actually adhering to the whole “spores are for microscopy use only”.


--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿


Help US help YOU TEK

2023 Dehydrator TEK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Screwup]
    #28457932 -

covertjoy said:
For looking into a petridish I use a very shallow pour and look through the underside. Using 4x and 10x objectives this works well (which combined with the 10x eyepiece gives 40x and 100x magnification). At 40x magnification (4x objective) the spores are just visible but difficult to differentiate from any debris, although I am able to cover a lot of surface area this way. At 100x (10x oTo go up to 400x (which most recommend for mycology and which the photo in my previous post was taken at) you need a special objective if you want to look into petridishes.






That's awesome information!! Was wondering what magnification and how you did it. I have a lab microscope myself but as you say.. impossible to focus that far with normal objectives. Will give this a try soon.

Can you also see bacterial contamination at x400 magnification?

Screwup said:
Look at this nerd actually adhering to the whole “spores are for microscopy use only”.



:rofl:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tittlez] * 1
    #28457933 -

T2 semperviva moving along well


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: tittlez] * 1
    #28457936 -

tittlez said:
Can you also see bacterial contamination at x400 magnification?



I looked at a bacteria colony at 400x and it is super fascinating. It created a very beautiful geometrical pattern. I am not sure if I was looking at the actual bacteria or the affect they have on the media. I don't have photos of that but next time I get a chance I will get some. I believe that if you know what you are looking for you would be able to identify bacterial contamination at 400x. I don't have that experience personally but it is something I would like to learn. I think that different bacteria would present differently.

Edit:

Turns out I still have that plate.



This is a bacterial colony. The green dash lines I added denotes the leading edge, which is more visible through the scope.

The geometric pattern is not organised like it was when I first looked at this. It might be because the culture moved when I picked up the plate.

Here is an image from the internet:


--------------------

Edited by covertjoy (09/04/23 06:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1157 | 1158 | 1159 | 1160 | 1161 | 1162 | 1163 | 1164 | 1165 | 1166 | 1167 | 1168 | 1169 | 1170 | 1171 | 1172 | 1173 | 1174 | 1175 | 1176 | 1177 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,321 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,374 topic views. 17 members, 64 guests and 106 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.053 seconds spending 0.028 seconds on 18 queries.