Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

A simple evolutionary thought
    #1296953 - 02/10/03 03:41 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

we evolved from primates. do you see this happening with other animals?

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: felix]
    #1297015 - 02/10/03 03:58 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Good point... The reason this isn't happening with other animals is because our own "evolution" wasn't a natural process alone. Rather than evolution from primates, I would use the term "upgraded."

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: ]
    #1297032 - 02/10/03 04:05 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

thats a really good question....
hmmm...mabey reptiles...hah i dont' know...?

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1297061 - 02/10/03 04:13 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

> we evolved from primates. do you see this happening with other animals?

Could happen with dolphins, maybe even dogs.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineMetasyn
one

#1297212 - 02/10/03 04:49 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I remember seeing this dinosaur show once that said how towards the end of the cretaceous right before the mass extinction there was a species of dinosaur (similar to the fictional velocoraptors show in Jurassic Park) that showed a dramatic rise in intelligence as inferred from the the fossil evidence. There was a marked increase in brain size and other things such as increased throat structures for vocalization and hand structures designed for easy manipulation. They went so far as to speculate that they were destined to become Earth's first intelligent (and perhaps conscious) organism but the mass extinction that killed off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago halted their progess.

One interesting speculation that is not necessarily ruled out by the fossil evidence is that this species of dinosaur did evolve to become intelligent much like humans have in the past few tens of thousands of years and actual initiated a global alteration that caused their and all the rest of the dinosaurs' extinction, much like we are in the process of doing. The fossil record shows business as usual followed by a half inch thick layer of this black stuff that archaeologists inferred to be a comet impact.. but they really don't know for sure. The time it would for the species to go from the last known fossil to human-like intelligence could be less than a million years, which is miniscule given the fact that this was 65 million years ago, after which they almost instantaneously disappeared off the face of the Earth. Perhaps we could be Earth's second intelligent race ... who knows?

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: A simple evolutionary thought *DELETED* [Re: Metasyn]
    #1297265 - 02/10/03 04:59 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1297354 - 02/10/03 05:29 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Cool thought. Animals evolving to our stage would take a long time, and I'm sure we won't be around when it finally happens.

Those Raptors wouldn't ever be able to develop arms and hands thow. I think that would have limoted their progress if the 'comet' never came.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: poke smot!]
    #1297457 - 02/10/03 06:04 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

If the reptiles ruled, and now the mammals rule, who will be next? birds? HA!

Actually many birds are extremely intelligent in animal standards. Scientists have taught African Grey Parrots not only to speak, but actually understand what they are saying.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1297640 - 02/10/03 07:24 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Amphibians evolved from fish.  Reptiles evolved from amphibians. 
Mammals, and then birds, too, evolved from reptiles.

These are just the most general examples of a new animal form evolving from one already in existence.  There are many, many specific ones within these general groups of animals that can be traced through the fossil record.  Like snakes evolving from lizards, for example. 

Each general group of animals shares one common ancestor.  From that ancestor, new lineages of animals then appear and branch off, like the different branches of a tree.  Sometime long, long ago, the first primate evolved from some other form of mammal.  Then that first primate evolved into different types of primates.  And then one of those primates became us.

Just like every fish shares a common ancestor and every amphibian and reptile and bird share a common ancestor.  We are simply the latest product of evolution.  We're the new guys in town! :laugh:

And the entire process of a new limb developing off a branch of the evolutionary tree takes entirely too long for us to "see this happening" with other animals, anyway.  It is happening, but it's just too slow for us to actually see it happening.

So that's my answer.  :smile:

-RebelSteve   

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: poke smot!]
    #1297655 - 02/10/03 07:28 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

If the reptiles ruled, and now the mammals rule, who will be next? birds? HA!

Actually, birds appear in the evolutionary tree later than mammals do.  They even have more efficient respiratory and circulatory systems than us.  Not to mention our sensory systems and metabolisms are nothing compared to theirs!  It could happen!

I think it's actually going to be the insects, though! :laugh:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: Murex]
    #1297672 - 02/10/03 07:32 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Animals evolving to our stage would take a long time, and I'm sure we won't be around when it finally happens.

What do you mean "animals evolving to our stage?" Most animals have been around for a LOT longer time than us. So why would we have evolved to this "stage" ahead of them?

I think each species is evolving to its own form of perfection. Some of the animals out there are better than us in SO many ways. Just because we have such great mental capacity does not mean we are the best, or that other animals are evolving to become "intelligent" like us.

Hell, I think the other animals on this planet are more intelligent than us!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineRoOmInDeR
Stranger
Loc: ca
Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: Remy]
    #1297764 - 02/10/03 07:59 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

well I've seen this link around here before, but didnt get it from here, i got it from this girl. This whole evolutionary process of reptiles isn't too far off according to this website, it talks about planet x the "10th" planet. Planet nibiru, anyways here is the link. Planet X It talks about the world being a program, hence the geometry of everything, the cycles, more the endless circles accomplishing this program. It also talks about reptile intelligence. But yeah just go check it out and reply all you want.

In reply to "is this happening to any other animals", i think yes. All life's species are adapting whether you are human or not, while our world is changing, we are adapting. Evolving along with everything else. In some ways animals are more efficient with their life style, just because of it's simplicity. Our complications and usless obsessions of gossip, lower our species as a whole. They will never catch up unless we stop for a very long time. I would say that we are the very best and most that earth can contain. It's to outer life from here, aliens i suppose. We will come together with our efficiency and then make something more complex? it's like the team games on warcraft 3 anyone?, they can help each other out in different ways. I dont necessarily know what is next. But i suggest we figure out our full capabilities and quit fucking around with irrelevance and do it before it's too late. sorry if its a bit off subject or just usless info. thanks for reading

--------------------
Clear your mind and articulate your find.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1297858 - 02/10/03 08:54 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

We are related to every life form on this planet.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#1298042 - 02/10/03 10:37 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

imagine the feline lineage of mammal having our level of intellect.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1298063 - 02/10/03 11:02 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

I think it's actually going to be the insects, though!

My moneys on the crabs :smile: but i'll give you good odds on an insect hive mind type deal :smile:

--------------------
er

OfflineRoOmInDeR
Stranger
    #1301955 - 02/12/03 09:28 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

yes

--------------------

OfflineRoOmInDeR
Stranger
    #1301962 - 02/12/03 09:30 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

We are related to every life form on this planet.

i meant to put that.
and again. yes. very very very yes

--------------------

Offlineboredboy
The Reverend DoyBuh

Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: RoOmInDeR]
    #1302887 - 02/12/03 03:37 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I'll put my money on dogs. A lot of new studies show that there has been a lot of co-evolution between dogs and humans. Another huge factor is that we are selectively breeding dogs for charecterists we are looking for (less aggression, less instincs, more able to "read" human signals, more friendly, more able to live and coexist with a human family) thus causing a un-natural selection, speeding up the evolution. I would go so far to say that I own a dog (pure bred lab from a line that has been extreemly selectivly bred) that may have the first few signs of ego/conciousness. This dog has shown such signs as an imagination, extreem sensitivity to punishment and neglect from humans, and my personal faviorate embarassment. Who knows, maybe in a thousand or so years dogs will have evolved enough to be considered a seperate genus from wolfs (this occours when they can no longer breed together I believe)

--------------------

Happy on the pull of the past
Just before the future comes
Hoping for the rush of some experience
That could elevate me

Up above the daily hum
-The Flaming Lips

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: boredboy]
    #1303192 - 02/12/03 05:37 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

That is a very interesting thought! It really makes a lot of sense, and if what we believe about evolution is true; it would make a great case for its existence if some of those predictions based on the theory actually came true.

I'm not sure about how it would change their taxonomic classification, though.

What you said about your dog really made me think about how much intelligence and other, almost human-like qualities my own dog has. I really think the idea of sped-up evolution in domesticated dogs is plausible.

Scientists are very unclear on how intelligence and brain capacity of our scale actually evolved according to the theory of evolution, though. Perhaps if it happened with dogs, it would give us some insight into what occurred with our own species!

Good post!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineSmashedMe
Stranger
Loc: Antarctica
Re: A simple evolutionary thought [Re: boredboy]
    #1304280 - 02/13/03 03:32 AM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

I'll put my money on dogs. A lot of new studies show that there has been a lot of co-evolution between dogs and humans. Another huge factor is that we are selectively breeding dogs for charecterists we are looking for (less aggression, less instincs, more able to "read" human signals, more friendly, more able to live and coexist with a human family) thus causing a un-natural selection, speeding up the evolution. I would go so far to say that I own a dog (pure bred lab from a line that has been extreemly selectivly bred) that may have the first few signs of ego/conciousness. This dog has shown such signs as an imagination, extreem sensitivity to punishment and neglect from humans, and my personal faviorate embarassment. Who knows, maybe in a thousand or so years dogs will have evolved enough to be considered a seperate genus from wolfs (this occours when they can no longer breed together I believe)

I own two labs a chocolate and a black one. They both show those signs. It is amazing how smart my two dogs are. They will open the fridge, doors, gates, and even turn on my bathtub. I'm not sure if it is just labs but most labs I have encountered are very much similar. That is why they will use a lab as a see and eye dog for the blind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology