Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
The Ancestors and the Stars
    #3457437 - 12/07/04 12:00 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

It is often said, the Tao is everything. The Way is all, no matter how far you deviate from happiness you will always be part of the Tao. It exists in every moment, guides every action, unites every one of us

Yet it is also said, that the Tao that can be spoken of, written down, thought about, is not the Tao. How is this? It is a direct contradiction. The Tao is everything, yet we can create something that is not the Tao by forming it into our perceptions?

The analogy it would seem to follow is the ancient stars. Early man used to look up at the stars, and various cultures would think they were different things. Some thought they were just pinpoints of light, like poking holes in a lampshade; others though they were the fires of all of the ancestors that had gone before. Yet, no matter how people thought of the stars, the stars never changed. They were always suns, more massive than anyone watching could imagine, farther away than the greatest mind could conceive of. But the stars were still written down, spoken of, thought about. In this act, people thought they were starting to realize the stars. It made sense, all of a sudden, that the stars, those ancient fires of light, were actually (insert idea here). Their questions were answered, they didn't need to worry about the stars anymore, and went onto a new topic to conceptualize and mold

The hermit, though, who lived in the woods in meditation, joined in unity with all around him, lived at all times carrying a cloak of love, and didn't judge the stars by what he wanted them to be- pinpoints in a lampshade, fires of ancestors- and instead simply observed them, knew the nature of the stars more than any who had gone before him. By not assuming, he gained knowledge. By losing preconceived notions did he gain more peace than those who actually "knew" the truth about the stars.

A million books will not include the information of a blade of grass, though we may believe we know everything possible about that blade of grass. By writing it down, forming every detail of the blade of grass into scriptures, we have lost much in it. How can we then have written everything about it, when a simple hermit can find more in it that he hasn't spoken of?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: The Ancestors and the Stars [Re: Ravus]
    #3458844 - 12/07/04 10:49 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

I love general Tao's chicken.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: The Ancestors and the Stars [Re: Ravus]
    #3458987 - 12/07/04 11:48 AM (12 years, 2 days ago)

Last night I slept under some trees in a waterproof bag on a university campus. It rained all night. Fuck the system. I'm going to go sleep on that couch while my hair dries and my feet warm up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology