Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male

Loc: Under the C
The Ancients
    #7067292 - 06/19/07 10:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Despite zero solid evidence to the contrary (that I am aware of), it seems very popular to believe that ancient man had superior knowledge and wisdom.

Other than a superior knowledge for how to get along in ancient times (hunting and surviving), why is it so very popular to believe that certain esoteric knowledge existed and was lost or that 'The Ancients' were superior men and women?

Does this all flow from fictional books in the New Age section of Barnes & Noble? Where is the beef?

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: The Ancients [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7067312 - 06/19/07 10:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

why is it so very popular to believe that certain esoteric knowledge existed and was lost or that 'The Ancients' were superior men and women?

Where do you find this sentiment? I tend to find most people agree that in modernity we are far more aware of the functioning of the universe. It certainly seems true though, that there were certain ancient sages who saw things as they really are, and taught about them. These truths remain the same today, but that doesn't make ancient man better, IMO.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #7067319 - 06/19/07 10:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I think the knowledge back then was different. Certainly they didn't possess anywhere near our knowledge of science and technology(though I bet the average person understood astronomy better than the average person today). Also, I think occult and mystical knowledge was more widespread back then, though of course people like would reject even classifying such things as knowledge. So if you take scientific materialism as infallible, then obviously the knowledge of the ancients will appear as superstition to you.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #7067552 - 06/19/07 11:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Despite zero solid evidence to the contrary (that I am aware of), it seems very popular to believe that ancient man had superior knowledge and wisdom.

The Egyptian Pyramids - the sheer manpower and engineering accuracy....(?)
The Mayan calendar - despite the 2012 stuff, how does one account for the accuracy.....?

What tools did they have, what knowledge did they figure out, and what was the motivation (why).....?
I would say, curiosity makes it popular....
Trying to discover and perhaps decipher a mystery of the unknown/cryptic records left by previous mankind....

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: The Ancients [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #7067594 - 06/19/07 11:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The Egyptian Pyramids - the sheer manpower and engineering accuracy....(?)
The Mayan calendar - despite the 2012 stuff, how does one account for the accuracy.....?

The pyramids were built using plain old engineering, and that has been around for at least as long as the pyramids. They didn't build them perfect like you see in the Great Pyramids at first, either. There are a bunch of half built and abandoned pyramids, like the one they built too steep for example. As well, a pyramid is probably the easiest large structure to build...there isn't much danger of walls caving in on you for example :wink:

Can you see the Egyptians ever building something like this?

As for the Mayan calendar...my knowledge of it is that it is based on astronomical observations?

Astronomy is one of the easiest sciences to learn about, which is why it was one of the first sciences. Nothing in nature appears to have the regularity of heavenly bodies in their trek across the sky. Nothing even comes close to it.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #7068697 - 06/20/07 07:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Does this all flow from fictional books in the New Age section of Barnes & Noble? Where is the beef?

Psh, nobody reads books anymore.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7070146 - 06/20/07 04:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

why is it so very popular to believe that certain esoteric knowledge existed and was lost or that 'The Ancients' were superior men and women?

Because it seems impossible to believe we could ever have been dumber then we are now.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures Flag
Re: The Ancients [Re: Icelander]
    #7070697 - 06/20/07 06:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:rofl2::thumbup:

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Blue Fish Group
Male

Re: The Ancients [Re: Icelander]
    #7070760 - 06/20/07 06:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Because it seems impossible to believe we could ever have been dumber then we are now.

'... THAN we are now.' :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7070781 - 06/20/07 07:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: The Ancients [Re: trendal]
    #7070963 - 06/20/07 07:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The pyramids were built using plain old engineering, and that has been around for at least as long as the pyramids.

So, the pyramids are not spectacular....?  :smirk:    I don't think they built them to be "homes"....
And I am thinking that they will be around longer than the building you pictured....
Either way, it still brings a feeling of curiosity....  :ohwell:

Astronomy is one of the easiest sciences to learn about, which is why it was one of the first sciences.
Nothing in nature appears to have the regularity of heavenly bodies in their trek across the sky. Nothing even comes close to it.

Perhaps....  Especially with a telescope, or other such tools....    :thumbup:
Remember, we are talking about spear chucking peoples....

I still say the reasons for the popularity are:
Quote:

What tools did they have, what knowledge did they figure out, and what was the motivation (why).....?
I would say, curiosity makes it popular....
Trying to discover and perhaps decipher a mystery of the unknown/cryptic records left by previous mankind....

:shrug:

I am not saying that they were superior (I have no idea if they were or not), but I believe the interest is mostly due to curiosity....

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: The Ancients [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7070982 - 06/20/07 07:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

the The Ancients were the master race and had the supreme genetics that gave rise to all the other races, if things keep the way they are with the population. i assume either the people that moved to the other corners of the earth were rejects from their society or explores that never came back or due to earth changes people got separated.

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Up North
    #7071010 - 06/20/07 08:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The fact that they lived here for thousands of years with out whoring out the Sacred Earth should be proof enough for anyone who can see.

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: The Ancients [Re: Adom]
    #7071217 - 06/20/07 08:54 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

invention of alcohol probally caused whoring of earth tho could be wrong

--------------------

you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Blue Fish Group
Male

Re: The Ancients [Re: Adom]
    #7072007 - 06/20/07 11:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Adom said:
The fact that they lived here for thousands of years with out whoring out the Sacred Earth should be proof enough for anyone who can see.

(Nice how you embed a sideways ad hominem in your reply. This is an old political trick and has been covered at length in this forum. :rolleyes:)

The fact that populations were too low to do any real damage is more in line with the truth. Populations were low due to excessive warring among tribes, inability to cope fully with the elements and high infant mortality - all indications of 'advancement'.

--------------------

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7072117 - 06/20/07 11:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i dunno US has pretty high infant mortality i say a bar graph compared to other contries and were like more then 20 times as much as france

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #7072363 - 06/21/07 12:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

Other than a superior knowledge for how to get along in ancient times (hunting and surviving), why is it so very popular to believe that certain esoteric knowledge existed and was lost or that 'The Ancients' were superior men and women?

Why are so large parts of our history/origin obscured?

I think that gives rise to many thoughts... :wink:

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: The Ancients [Re: Silversoul]
    #7073388 - 06/21/07 04:07 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Well, I think the knowledge back then was different. Certainly they didn't possess anywhere near our knowledge of science and technology(though I bet the average person understood astronomy better than the average person today). Also, I think occult and mystical knowledge was more widespread back then, though of course people like would reject even classifying such things as knowledge. So if you take scientific materialism as infallible, then obviously the knowledge of the ancients will appear as superstition to you.

Modern society can claim plenty of mysticism. What about transsubstantiation? What about faith healing?

How are we to suppose their mystical beliefs were more correct than our own? I think it is the "buried treasure" mentality. One has to seek out ancient knowledge, learn its secrets, and so forth, at least from what the nuts seem to indicate--I guess there is the implicit faith that anything someone works that hard for is worth the effort! Just ask all those medieval alchemists, who got so rich turning lead into gold. Man, I bet they're happy with that time investment.

Additionally, mystics were held in high regard in ancient times because there was no alternative means of education. Often, I suspect the village mystic--though perhaps insane or a sheister--was the most learned person around. Ancient mystics were frequently herbalists, political leaders, and influential clerics. They had a lot of knowledge--and about ten percent of it was actually accurate! Fortunately for them, the only thing more potent than the human imagination is the human tendency to believe the most fantastical second-hand tales for the simple sake of wanting something incredible to really have happened. Nearly as powerful still is the human tendency to gossip that story as though they had witnessed the event themselves... and so on, and so on, until you have stories of witches and wizards and Holy Saviors and what-have-you!

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Edited by figgusfiddus (06/21/07 04:08 AM)

InvisibleInsolentPrude
dark-helmetedknight

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Ancients [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7073399 - 06/21/07 04:11 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Look into the Mythology and Mysticism of early Celtic Tribes. Very interesting topic of study :smile:

:gethigh::thumbup:

--------------------
"You know what they say: if God had been a Liberal, we wouldn't have had the ten commandments. We'd have had the ten suggestions."

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: The Ancients [Re: InsolentPrude]
    #7073410 - 06/21/07 04:14 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Oh yes, people do love the Celts...

But if you're going to study it seriously in a non-historical sense, you'd might as well just take up Wicca and get a $15 Ouija board at Toys-R-Us. :smile:

I hear Babylonian mystics invented the Magic 8-Ball, by the way.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology