Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Cowards
    #11276745 - 10/19/09 01:45 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I really think it's a basic human trait. We are afraid of so much and afraid of showing how afraid we are.

As an example I'm thinking of the military guy. So afraid of not going along with the crowd that he would rather follow orders blindly and possibly kill innocent people rather than even consider the possiblity that he has been programmed by people or a culture that never had his best interests at heart. He would rather kill or risk being killed than go up against family, community, religion, country etc and say I'm not going or I'm not sure this is good.

If you take a look at your daily interactions you could find plenty of ways you do it too.

Mostly, IMO, the vast majority are too cowardly to look too close at how they live and what they believe.

I do it too. Just less than you.:lol:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Re: Cowards [Re: Icelander]
    #11276795 - 10/19/09 01:52 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, pretty much.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Cowards [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11276811 - 10/19/09 01:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well, maybe not less than you.:wink:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleLakefingers

#11276885 - 10/19/09 02:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I think your military guy example was very colorful. I don't care if it's not true, I'm sticking to it.

Sometimes I'm amazed that we choose to tune into the radio, TV, etc, plug ourselves into these constant stream of bullshit. This forums somewhat of an oasis, yet still filled with the mess -- but then, it's only human so what do you expect.

Unlike you though, I think the vast majority are simply too stupid and/or ignorant to look too closely at how they live and what they believe. Often they shy away from it. Get angry at conflicting opinions, avoid discussions just as they get interesting and move into these very heated areas.

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
    #11276976 - 10/19/09 02:19 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Mostly, IMO, the vast majority are too cowardly to look too close at how they live and what they believe.

Courage to look at these things & Freedom from these things are synonymous i feel

I also feel there is no greater courage than to look at how your own mind is hypnotized by external influences

Hardly anyone wants to look these things... infact i'd say noone wants to look at these things, some people just can't help it

:peace:

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Cowards [Re: Chronic7]
    #11277111 - 10/19/09 02:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, you got fiery there, Chronic777!

InvisibleKukaracha
Cat wannabe
Male User Gallery

#11277156 - 10/19/09 02:46 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It doesn't really surprises me, we could be pretty depressed if we always thought about the world we live in, unless you only think about the positive or accept the negative (which is in my opinion impossible).

I do agree with the OP, our fear is omnipresent.

But how did we get the idea that it's a bad thing? Through religion? Cowards is what we are after all, it's like seeing a white paper sheet and thinking, "oh my it's so white, such a shame!"

I wonder who got the idea that we are better than what we are, that we have a superior soul or whatever is told about us being so perfect in another world, in another life.

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
    #11277197 - 10/19/09 02:55 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:
Wow, you got fiery there, Chronic777!

Thats just a spark flying off :wink:

Wait until you see the flame  :hotidea:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #11277450 - 10/19/09 03:31 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I really think it's a basic human trait. We are afraid of so much and afraid of showing how afraid we are.

I really don't wanna fucking die, I feel like there's still too much I could enjoy in this lifetime. :sad:

Quote:

Icelander said:
As an example I'm thinking of the military guy. So afraid of not going along with the crowd that he would rather follow orders blindly and possibly kill innocent people rather than even consider the possiblity that he has been programmed by people or a culture that never had his best interests at heart. He would rather kill or risk being killed than go up against family, community, religion, country etc and say I'm not going or I'm not sure this is good.

I'm risking being killed by going against family, community, religion, country, etc. in a sense...:shrug:

Quote:

Icelander said:
If you take a look at your daily interactions you could find plenty of ways you do it too.

I know I do it, I just live day to day looking for ways to cope. :cool2:

Quote:

Icelander said:

I sort of agree with this statement. :thumbup:

Quote:

Icelander said:

Well, duh, you've had like 50+ years of trial and error that if you didn't do it less than me, I'd totally ":snub:" in your (or away from) direction. :tongue:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineThe24HourMC
Master Of Ceremonies
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gone
Re: Cowards [Re: Poid]
    #11277546 - 10/19/09 03:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Dont be a pussy. What do i have to be scared of? Besides death , but , thats innevitable so y be scared of something that u know is gonna happen? other than that...i dont think anything really scares me. No wait i take that back. im scared of what will happen to my family if i go to prison or die.

--------------------

My Baby In MCLA

Fuckin Shit

Fuck that stay high

Invisiblerebus_minus
    #11277573 - 10/19/09 03:52 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

So true.

I see it in my new job. They are probably about to fire me soon, but I made the manager cut his hair and thought I shook up the place. They are all secretly (:tongue:) laughing at me for being such an eccentric pain in the ass simpleton.

But yeah, I do it all the time. Less now than before. The paralyzing fear have made me draw connections where none where to be found, but I am healing and will be whole so thanks again you who are more awake.

Edited by rebus_minus (10/19/09 04:09 PM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Cowards [Re: The24HourMC]
    #11277645 - 10/19/09 04:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

:rolleyes:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #11277699 - 10/19/09 04:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Chronic777 said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

Courage to look at these things & Freedom from these things are synonymous i feel

Not synonyms. You need courage to look at these things. Only then you are able to make yourself free from them. The one is a prerequisite of the other. Maybe the courage stays not the same, as I feel, if u looked at the things, the consequences have to follow almost automatically. Depending which side you will take :grin:
edit:ah, maybe you don't even need courage to look, just couriosity. The question then is what lets courisoity be taken away from people. I think the answer is too obvious to state here now for me...

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (10/19/09 04:24 PM)

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
Re: Cowards [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #11277798 - 10/19/09 04:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

When every single one of your deep seated fears bubbles up to the surface at the same time, see where curiosity gets you....then see where the burning fire of courage gets you...

Curiosity is good, but at certain times you need to be ferocious in your looking if the absolute Truth is what you seek, your eyes need to burn everything you look at into ashes so you can see the Truth that lies beneath, the Truth that remains when we do burn into ashes

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #11278142 - 10/19/09 05:29 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hehe, I not  so really agree to burn into ashes and always respect anyone/-thing just as much to not somehow burn it into ashes :grin:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Cowards [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #11278329 - 10/19/09 06:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
Hehe, I not  so really agree to burn into ashes and always respect anyone/-thing just as much to not somehow burn it into ashes :grin:

WellBlue dont burn it yearn it sooner or later u gonna earn it or learn it or hey i can't rhyme no more other than urn it fill it drill it kill it will it shill it kill bill it wind it find it u still here?

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Cowards [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #11280376 - 10/19/09 10:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I am afraid of going up against this oppressive system and finding a way to ease the mayhem that will come with the beginning of world war 3 and the global economic collapse

I am afraid but something inside me is shouting at me to do something, anything. I know the documentaries I've seen and the books I've read have all been for a reason.

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Urban Jungle
    #11280567 - 10/19/09 11:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Dude, I got out of the Navy on a Conscientious Objector discharge. I could write a book on the events; the three trumped-up Captain's Masts (sea time Courts Martial equivalent), the harassment, the death threats and so on.

Facing down the captain of the ship and putting him on report for violation of naval law was one of the bravest things I ever did. That - and posting in M&P... :tongue:

--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (10/20/09 03:21 AM)

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #11280651 - 10/19/09 11:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I feel lucky that I have been taught how not to live in fear, but I won't look down on those who never had the chance, or were severed from it by other forms of teaching.  For all I know the highs and lows even out for everyone by the time we die, and my way is no better.

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Cowards [Re: Poid]
    #11281875 - 10/20/09 03:17 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Kukaracha said:
But how did we get the idea that it's a bad thing? Through religion? Cowards is what we are after all, it's like seeing a white paper sheet and thinking, "oh my it's so white, such a shame!"

We don't have to stick to the negativity of the word coward. It could be we just see it as it is, accepting the reality of it and not being to hard or light on ourselves for it.

Like "I just shat myself", instead of thinking, "mother fucker, I have this disgusting shit dripping down my pant-leg and everyone will see..."

Quote:

Kukaracha said:
I wonder who got the idea that we are better than what we are, that we have a superior soul or whatever is told about us being so perfect in another world, in another life.

Many places, although most people blame the Bible (Eden). This is an insight we repeat and rediscover since the time we're children, through the combination of experience/action/reflection in and on the world. When a child kills and gets away with it, or realizes it can manipulate animals, siblings, etc, it begins to feel better. It's parents tell it it's better. It's culture tells it its species is better and so on. It's a thick shell of self-deceiving better. That our soul is superior is a long story of idea history and self-discovery as well, but one of its simplest functions is to reassure us that our mortal lives are meaningful.

Quote:

Chronic777 said:
Wait until you see the flame  :hotidea:

:shocked:

Quote:

Poid said:
I really don't wanna fucking die, I feel like there's still too much I could enjoy in this lifetime. :sad:

You need to feel like there are things to enjoy. It's part of what keeps you going and gets you 'on track' when you're young and still working on scraping out a place for yourself (it seems you've hardly started at this :smirk: Time to get in gear.). Don't be pitiful about it though.

Quote:

Poid said:
I'm risking being killed by going against family, community, religion, country, etc. in a sense...:shrug:

When you die for going against the grain, then you become a philosopher. Make sure to become friends with good writers to put your name into the books.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology