Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Jimi Hendrix, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Breaking your Programming
    #2835592 - 06/28/04 07:35 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Here is a real Swami Challenge with no money involved. It may also be a good test for free-will, but let us NOT debate until some ACTUAL reports come in.

Think about what is your least favorite form of music or artist. Do you hate country, opera, classical, hip-hop, disco, Barry Manilow or whatever? Now that you have identified it, here is your task:

Preferably go to a show or concert (such as opera) where applicable. This takes more effort and committment (and possible embarassment - now why is that?), but if not possible, buy, rent or borrow a CD. Your mission is not merely to go or listen, but to actually like it. Yes, you must enjoy it. Thousands or millions of others do, so it is only your cultural filters that prevent you from appreciating what the artist is trying to do. If you go to a show, don't get too distracted by judgements of the audience. Listen to your own internal chatter. "This sucks! Can't believe I let Swami talk me into this," etc. Then shut it down. This is REAL meditation. Those "thoughts" are borrowed and NOT yours. Pay attention to the music and the presentation and take something positive away from it.

You do not have to become a fan and hang posters, merely open yourself to a new way of perceiving things.

Swami out

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Breaking your Programming [Re: Swami]
    #2835641 - 06/28/04 08:49 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nice homework assignment. Funny coincidence...I fell in love with another Incubus song just this morning. And there's an interesting connection between it's lyrics and your thread.

Make Yourself

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
    #2835906 - 06/28/04 11:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Here is a real Swami Challenge with no money involved. It may also be a good test for free-will, but let us NOT debate until some ACTUAL reports come in.

Think about what is your least favorite form of music or artist. Do you hate country, opera, classical, hip-hop, disco, Barry Manilow or whatever? Now that you have identified it, here is your task:

Preferably go to a show or concert (such as opera) where applicable. This takes more effort and committment (and possible embarassment - now why is that?), but if not possible, buy, rent or borrow a CD. Your mission is not merely to go or listen, but to actually like it. Yes, you must enjoy it. Thousands or millions of others do, so it is only your cultural filters that prevent you from appreciating what the artist is trying to do. If you go to a show, don't get too distracted by judgements of the audience. Listen to your own internal chatter. "This sucks! Can't believe I let Swami talk me into this," etc. Then shut it down. This is REAL meditation. Those "thoughts" are borrowed and NOT yours. Pay attention to the music and the presentation and take something positive away from it.

You do not have to become a fan and hang posters, merely open yourself to a new way of perceiving things.

Swami out

Wouldn't this "new way of perceiving things" simply be buying into another "culural filter," as you put it? Perhaps to break some one's programming, the person should instead realize why they need no opinions on any band, genre, etc. instead of stockpiling more.

-ergot :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Breaking your Programming [Re: ergot]
    #2835978 - 06/28/04 11:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Wouldn't this "new way of perceiving things" simply be buying into another "culural filter," as you put it?

How is finding an appreciation for something new, strange or different, buying into a cultural filter? Filters by their very nature are exclusive, not inclusive.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2835988 - 06/28/04 11:49 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

big caution with the term "breaking programming"

you can challenge or test your programming (habits?)
and you can gradually alter your habits (same way they are built repetition)

this exploration may be about transcending habits, or watching the self struggle with a habit. In its own right a good thing to watch & to know.

to refine terms, at best it is a hacking *into* the system for purposes of insight, not really a breaking of the programming.

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Re: Breaking your Programming [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2836044 - 06/28/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Though the programming isn't removed, it is still temporary broken in the moment you actually appreciate the music.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2836091 - 06/28/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I went through this years ago. I used to hate classical music, but after hearing "Mood for a Day" on a Yes album I bacame interested in classical guitar. I love classical music now, and still play the classical guitar. I have favorite songs in all styles of music and can even tolerate(even like some songs) that my kids listen to. I listen to rock, country, blues, classical, jazz, metal, and can even appreciate a very few bands that incorporate a little rap. As far as movies go, I like all styles including horror, western, drama. and a few victorian romances ("A Room with a View" for one). I even appreciated "Farenheight 9/11" even though I did not fully agree with it. If you don't expose yourself to a large variety of art and music then you aint living.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#2836102 - 06/28/04 12:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice. Thoughts get fired of in a hypersecond. These thoughts have been gathered and squireled away since your first expieriences. These thoughts are not your own but those that soround you. To truely Be and see things from an objective point of view, one must realise that these thoughts are a colaberation of others and not yours. One most tap there higher concious and watch these thoughts as only thoughts before acting in a conditioned way.

Thomas said,"Though the programming isn't removed, it is still temporary broken in the moment you actually appreciate the music."

Yes but as you pull away the vail and start to understand and open up to new ideas there is no need to go back to your old ways and thought proccesses.

User Gallery

Re: Breaking your Programming [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2836197 - 06/28/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice. Thoughts are only brain patterns that you have been exposed to. Within a hypersecond your brain will spit out a thought, not realy yours but one your body has barrowed. View your thoughts as if they where only thoughts and not your own. Then you will be able to open the doors and tap your higher beeing. Nonjudging once you tap this higher self one may be able to truely enjoy peace.

This was the first of my posts but some how thought I lost it ,so I retyped it as my other post. So read them both I think I like this one a little more though.

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
    #2836255 - 06/28/04 01:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Wouldn't this "new way of perceiving things" simply be buying into another "culural filter," as you put it?

How is finding an appreciation for something new, strange or different, buying into a cultural filter? Filters by their very nature are exclusive, not inclusive.

I'm just very confused by your entire post...

You think we should like every artist and appreciate all their work? That is the goal? Where does your "breaking the programming" nonsense end? Should we like all food, too? Should we like all cars? Should we like all smells?

-ergot :hypno:

--------------------

User Gallery

#2836295 - 06/28/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yes! Because then we disperse all negativity and would be free from mental chaines.

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #2836385 - 06/28/04 02:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

he was demonstrating that art is someone attempting to express something. normally if someone does not like a form of art it is because of their cultural history, it was just programmed for you not to like it. he was challenging us to go out and clear our prejudices for a night and attepmt to (at the least) appriciate a differnt art form, that we are adamantly opposed too. at the most we were challanged to pay attention to the thoughts that spring up *on there own* about the objective art form, and meditate on these peripheral, almost automatic thoughts that have been programmed into us.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Breaking your Programming [Re: Todcasil]
    #2836419 - 06/28/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

now to apply to swami:

i didnt like heavy metal music at all... AT ALL. growing up my family/cousins/friends didnt listen to it, it just wasnt our style (strange to think about it that way). i rememebr making some new friends towards the end of my highschool career and having the opportunity to go to an "ozzfest". primus was going to be there so i said , yeah alright ill go, but im not gonna like the other bands!

short version: primus kicked ass... and so did pantera, incubis, and kitty and even marylin manson. i was shocked at how interesting there music was if i just listened to it.

fast forward: im in the military and i buy an alarm clock, to wake me up in the morning i decide that classical will work best as its not abrasive, but i dont like it so ill get up to turn it off. (never really listened to classical at this point, just decided it was boring). for a bout a month of listening to this music, at first i would gte up and shut it off, then i would begin to listen to it, then by the end of the month, i was cranking it up to get ready in the morning...

swami, great post.
peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Breaking your Programming [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #2836472 - 06/28/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SHEIKofSHIITAKE said:
Yes! Because then we disperse all negativity and would be free from mental chaines.

We would be free from mental chains? Are you sure? I would think that clinging to even more worldly concepts and appreciations would only bind us more...

--------------------

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
    #2836488 - 06/28/04 02:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Todcasil said:
he was demonstrating that art is someone attempting to express something.  normally if someone does not like a form of art it is because of their cultural history, it was just programmed for you not to like it.  he was challenging us to go out and clear our prejudices for a night and attepmt to (at the least) appriciate a differnt art form, that we are adamantly opposed too.  at the most we were challanged to pay attention to the thoughts that spring up *on there own* about the objective art form, and meditate on these peripheral, almost automatic thoughts that have been programmed into us.

How is my opinion of another genre or music programmed into me? If I feel like a song is simply about beer and women (i.e., a country song I heard on the radio)... why would I need to appreciate that? I see no reason to place value on any one else's artistic craft just for the sake of doing so... and if I do not, I do not believe I can be automatically assumed as a programmed drone.

All politics, all religions, all cultural beliefs are illusion... however, appreciating all of the illusion instead of a smaller segment is not the path to deprogramming the mind.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2836493 - 06/28/04 02:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The last few posters have the idea.  :thumbup:

My folks were brought up on Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Perry Como and other crooners and claimed that they liked it.

I was brought up on Beatles, Moody Blues, Hendrix; etc. and I liked it.

The young people of today are mostly into rap, hip-hop, pop, techno (or whatever - not trying to argue the most popular).

Each generation clings to that which they were mostly exposed to and was most culturally accepted in their teens. Here is the point: Who is doing the liking? We are deceived into thinking these "choices" are ours. Very few can see that they were merely adopted for social acceptance. I know many of you are doubtful, but picture this hypothetical: erase the memories of a group of 20 year-olds and put them on the proverbial desert island with an unlimited music library. Do you really believe that they would generally choose music from the last decade as their favorite with zero outside influence?

By occassionally and consciously breaking the patterning, whole new worlds may open to us.

--------------------

User Gallery

#2836513 - 06/28/04 03:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ergot
No its about seeing the beauty that one can create. About apreciating it for what it is. Apreciation and acceptance is what its all about.

--------------------

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Breaking your Programming [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #2836569 - 06/28/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SHEIKofSHIITAKE said:
Ergot
No its about seeing the beauty that one can create.  About apreciating it for what it is.  Apreciation and acceptance is what its all about.

I disagree. I will not appreciate or accept something for what it is. I will simply experience what it is as what it is.

I still strongly think that appreciating and accepting more should not be the goal.

Swami has a point... I just don't think the other people truly grasp it and are, unfortunately, getting bound even more...

--------------------

User Gallery

#2836618 - 06/28/04 03:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I disagree. I will not appreciate or accept something for what it is. I will simply experience what it is as what it is.

Well if you simply expierience something with out judgment then you are accepting it. It is what it is and you have the power to make it what it is. A song can be just a song, heaven, or you can make it hell. Depends on if you put hate behind your thought or love or even just a though of it is what it is and I except it.

I think I am straying of point though.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2836682 - 06/28/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

While I agree with your idea, Swami, I have to point out that not everyone choses music based on the tastes of others or what is considered "popular" at the time.

I have a wide music taste. I have Tool on right now, but before this song I was listening to some Beatles (White Album on vinyl!). Next I think I could go for some Beethoven or maybe a little electronic.

We don't all have to hop on the band wagon :wink:

Aside from that: excellent point!

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Jimi Hendrix, The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology