Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Pink Floyd, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

What kind of music is Tool?
    #754884 - 07/17/02 11:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I imagine they must be pretty good as alot of people here drop the name whenever music is mentioned, plus with all the alex grey accompanied art...I'm curious.

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #754919 - 07/17/02 11:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

tool is great. its rock/metal. just listen to it

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Edited by Eightball (07/17/02 11:49 PM)

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: Eightball]
    #754930 - 07/17/02 11:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not sure how you could classify Tool.. but it's definitely not ordinary metal. I would hate to listen to metal while tripping, but Tool's great.. it's so polished, the vocals are so clear, the lyrics are beautiful, the guitar is gutsy, wicked beats..
I stick to the later stuff, Aenima and Lateralus. Give it a try.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #755012 - 07/18/02 01:16 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Tool is Tool, that's all I can say.

Offlinepsyko78626
people arestrange whenyour a stranger
Loc: central Texas
    #755019 - 07/18/02 01:27 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It sounds like an incredibly dark edged opium experience, just listen to it, it will blow your mind

--------------------
"If there weren't no humps, there wouldn't be no gettin over" George Clinton

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
    #755154 - 07/18/02 04:48 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Tool is one of those awesome bands that defies classification because nobody sounds anything like them. They are a heavy but articulate progressive rock band. Their earlier stuff is more metally but really "metal" is the wrong word for Tool. Most of their songs reach a climax of sound and emotion, known as a "Toolgasm". Last saturday I was Toolgasming all over the place listening to The Grudge off Lateralus whilst on mushrooms. Their music is very hallucinogenic, but less amorphous than, say, Pink Floyd. And Maynard James Keenan's voice is just supernatural, I don't know how he does it. They also have the single best drummer in the world. Very tribal at times.

I'd recommend you go out and buy Aenima right now. Put down your mouse and go. If you like it, then buy Lateralus and Undertow, and if you really like Undertow buy Opiate. Like somebody else said, I don't like metal on mushrooms but I'd always listen to Tool.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #755193 - 07/18/02 05:43 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well that settles it then, I'm really curious now. Next cd purchase will be Tool.

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

Offlinenezshoo
<--- SOMA

Loc: California
    #755258 - 07/18/02 06:27 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Never hear Tool!?!? Ooo OAOaaohj oafj Go get it! Now run hurry

OfflineBlueBus
Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: nezshoo]
    #755276 - 07/18/02 06:35 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

it should almost be considered a crime not to have at least one tool album in everyones collection. I've listened to them more than once while tripping.

BlueBus

--------------------
I paid good money to see myself fall apart, I'm not about to give up now.

OfflineAlice_In_Chains
journeyman
Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: BlueBus]
    #755288 - 07/18/02 06:41 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I fucking love Tool! I've heard them called "art rock" before, but I also dont know what I'd call them. They are just excellent. They are one of my favorite bands.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#755441 - 07/18/02 07:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

Well that settles it then, I'm really curious now. Next cd purchase will be Tool.

I wish I could listen to Aenima for the first time again. Blew my fricking mind. Also, do WHATEVER YOU CAN to see some of Tool's videos. Fucking crazy! Their guitarist does them, and they're these ultra-dark stop-motion hallucinogenic experiences. Their latest, Parabola, is ten minutes long and it's just mad. Go to toolshed.down.net and look for their videos. Look for the best quality video that you can find. I'd love to see one of them while tripping. A buddy of mine was introduced to Tool by watching the video for Sober while on LSD.

But yeah buy Aenima. Just the artwork in the liner notes is awesome.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

Offlinetreebeard
Stranger
Loc: upstate N.Y
    #756662 - 07/18/02 04:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

tool will blow your mind , if you listen to the music ,it takes you to a higher place, tool has no equal in todays music , zepplin and the doors is what tools music is like.

OfflineHugh_Jass
pantydealer
Loc: Northern Ireland
    #756667 - 07/18/02 04:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've heard Tool called 'progressive metal' a lot and I'd agree with that.

Has anyone hear heard Opeth? They're a Swedish prog metal band. If anyone likes the heavier metal bands but wants something they could trip to they should defitnetly check them out. In all their songs/album they contrast between heavy and mellow but Morningrise would be their mellowest album, My Arms Your Hearse, the heaviest. Next year(I think, might be at the end of this year) they're releasing two albums within a month or two of eath other, one will be very mellow and the other will be their heaviest. They've made some of the most bueatiful music I've heard.

Offlineimjustagirl
journeyman
Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: Hugh_Jass]
    #756957 - 07/18/02 07:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've never been able to clasify Tool either. I always considered them more like Industrial Rock than Metal but more lyricaly driven than most industrial. Love them! They can make being stoned feel trippy if you listen on headsets. Is there a dvd with their videos for sale? I would love that!

--------------------
I'm just collecting info for a novel... Everything I say is fictional.

"We're just spinning on some granite that we like to call a planet..."
--Blues Traveler

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: imjustagirl]
    #757038 - 07/18/02 07:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm hoping for a live DVD soon, I think it's a possibility. The only other DVD is the Salival DVD with all their music vids on it.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #758163 - 07/19/02 06:20 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: What kind of music is Tool? [Re: World Spirit]
    #758308 - 07/19/02 07:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

Noone in this forum will agree with me, I'm sure. But from a very obvious viewpoint, they are clearly on a mission to blaspheme and get an audience to hate Jesus Christ. Again, I realize this will sound like nonsense to the majority, but as usual, I'm talking to a very small minority.

Well you're right; I doubt anyone will agree with you. The Tool-hates-christ thing has been discussed to death in more Tool-specific forums (ie alt.music.tool). It is VERY clear to anyone who knows anything about the members of that band that they have no anti-religious agenda at all. Some of their songs (Opiate) mock religious 'sheep.' Sheep as in those who never question their beliefs. Being a Christian is not necessarily being a sheep. I doubt you think of yourself as one.

Tool has never ever been a proponent of hate against anything or anyone. Their only 'message' has been to think for yourself, and assume nothing. You obviously have no idea who the people who comprise Tool are, and I hope nobody blindly believes your statements. Go to toolshed.down.net and read some articles if you want to educate yourself on the subject of Tool and its members.

Actually I would like to go a bit further and strike down some more Tool myths:

• Tool does not kill children and drink their blood.
  • Tool does not hate religion.
  • The members of Tool are not homosexual and have no unhealthy infatuation with the anal cavity.
  • The members of Tool do not worship Satan. They are not evil. They are not Nazis.
  • Maynard James Keenan is not dying of AIDS or cancer.
  • Maynard James Keenan does not really have breasts.
  • Tool has no agenda behind their music other than sharing it with their fans.
  • Tool is not humourless or deadly serious. They are fond of practical jokes.

If I have not convinced you that Tool is not out to undermine your religion, then perhaps you will go to http://toolshed.down.net/ and find out for yourself. It sounds to me, though, that you don't really care about the truth. I have read your posts and I know that you are an intelligent person, so I'm sure that enlightening yourself with actual facts about Tool would be a delightful, educational experience. Just out of curiousity, what other music do you find blasphemous? Are you a NIN fan?

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #758454 - 07/19/02 08:45 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#758698 - 07/19/02 10:23 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

There is a lot of blasphemous stuff out there, and one would be very ignorant or foolish to disagree with that statement. My point will obviously not make sense to you because you are not a believer. You are a nay-sayer, but a friendly and polite one I will add. I have no ill feelings toward you, so excuse my intensity and arrogance with this issue. I know that I know that I know. Nuf said.

I guess to me the word blasphemous just means in violation of the tenets of a religion. So I suppose by that definition they are 'blasphemous' (the name of Jesus is used in ways the Bible says it should not be) but that means I am too, because I sing along to Judith. I can say or type the F word and Jesus in the same sentence but that doesn't mean I hate anything. I have no hate. I think words are ultimately meaningless and are given too much respect. But you must understand that 'blasphemous' lyrics doesn't mean they hate Christ and are out to make others hate. I hope you still don't believe that. Even blatantly nasty lyrics are often metaphorical, especially Tool's. (ie Stinkfist is NOT about fist-fucking). But all I can do is urge you to question your belief that Tool preaches hate of any kind because I know for a fact that it is not true.

BTW I agree with you about Trent Reznor's music versus his lyrics. The Downward Spiral is one of my favourite CDs but the lyrics sound like they were written by a ten-year old pissed off at his parents.

--------------------

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #762298 - 07/20/02 02:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Enter,

I agree, there is some blasphemous things about Tool. Atleast that is if that is what you choose to derive from the lyrics. Thought they might not encourage you to denounce organised religon they do prompt you to think for yourself, and question authority. All of which in the perspective of most religious individuals is blasphemous because at the end of the day thinking for yourself and questioning authority will lead to you probably realising that you don't believe in religon, or atleast any "man created" religon. Whether that be because ole' satan is extremely talented at misdirection or because it just isn't true is up to each and every individual.

Anybody who avoids Tool because they are afraid of the suggestions it poses is WEAK and should avoid it, if you truly have FAITH why would you question something to which you are generally blindly believing in (and most of faith is after all a blind belief). You could blame every single misbelief, contradictory ''fact', opinion etc on Satan.

Religious individuals use the term 'demons' to describe thought that does not conform to their standards, I don't know about that. If you read their newsletter and general news (at toolband.com/news) you will realise that they are heavily interested in occult science..

That being said I love Tool and there is no better band out there now in my books, other bands can write amazing stuff that will entertain me but I have never been to a more amazing life performance that has silenced even the drunks that came to fight. They are the floyd of the whatever the hell you call this decade and 90's, their stage show is evolving and may one day be as breathtaking as Pulse was (they are pretty close, perhaps lighting is the last thing they need to pioneer).

Anyway, if you check their news site you will discover that prospectively the tenth planet of our solar system will hit earth next year killing maybe 50% of the worlds population. So break out the bible and repent!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Pink Floyd, The Doors

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience