Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: terrapin]
    #348230 - 06/25/01 06:56 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Truuuuuuuu Dat, you *would* understand if you made music yourself. In my opinion, Trance is boring and repetitive
Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive Trance is boring and repetitive
sorry 'bout that, it is though it's alot harder to make a good song on guitars etc. than what's considered a good Techno song

Take off every 'zig' ...for great justice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBricoleur
Loc: UK
    #348384 - 06/25/01 12:31 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

terrapin scribed:
In reply to:

well bricoleur maybe ud understand if u played n instrument but good example of why music died

I would hate to blaspheme against the Guitar Band Bible but, a computer IS an instrument! I can also play REAL instruments though...

terrapin, if you think music is dead then it is time to update your definition of 'music'.

No need to feel so threatened by computer based music - it's not like a computer is going to pick up a guitar and replace you in the local band, or is it?

Bricoleur.

--------------------
"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought."
Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi:

OfflineBricoleur
Loc: UK
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #348393 - 06/25/01 12:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Truuuuuuuu Dat, you *would* understand if you made music yourself. In my opinion, Trance is boring and repetitive

I am definately not a trance fan but to call it boring and repetitive says nothing about trance music but alot about you. It is called Trance for a reason you know.

In reply to:

it is though it's alot harder to make a good song on guitars etc. than what's considered a good Techno song

..and I could say; "it's alot harder to make a good Techno song than what's considered a good guitars etc. song.

Well both of our sentences are totally subjective and utterly meaningless! For one, people will never be able to agree on what is a good techno or guitar song - so I am not about to attempt to pesuade you otherwise. Secondly, how difficult it is to make music is up to the individual NOT the gear they use.

Bricoleur.

--------------------
"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought."
Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi:

Offlinedragoon
enthusiast

Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: Bricoleur]
    #348441 - 06/25/01 02:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

he said in his opinion Trance is boring and repetive, he can say that, don't prescribe his opinions for him.
opinion is a word all of you need to learn alot about, then maybe some of you wouldn't be telling others "the way it is"

Control for smilers can't be bought.

OfflineShroomph

Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: dragoon]
    #350145 - 06/27/01 11:50 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I haven't tripped yet, but when I do, I plan on listening to Dream Theater. I think their music would probably be wonderful to trip on. They've got some great instrumentals.
If anyones interested, I highly recommend the "Metropolis Pt. 2" CD. Another great band you might want to check out that is purely instrumental is Liquid Tension. They only have two releases (Experiment One and Experiment Two). I haven't listened to Experiment One, but if you listen to Experiment Two, check out the song titled "Acid Rain". It's great!

--------------------
Why, oh, why didn't I take the BLUE pill?
Join the fight against marijuana prohibition; join NORML

Offlinepseudonaut
Stranger
Loc: midwest USA
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: Bricoleur]
    #350366 - 06/28/01 05:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i do have to say that i'm constantly bothered by people who say they don't like techno because they automatically dismiss it as repetitive. with a lot of techno bands (for you purists, i'm using techno in the general, electronic music terms, not the sub-genre of electronic music), if you really listen to their music, there's quite a bit of complexity. for example, listen to The Girl With the Sun in Her Head or Adnan's by Orbital, and tell me that it's not complex and good by basic music standards. plus, note that just because a lot of it's made *on* a computer doesn't mean that it's made *by* a computer. it'd be more clear to people if they saw techno bands play live. i've seen orbital, crystal method, lo-fidelity allstars, kraftwerk, gus gus (well, they're sort of techno), and autechre. they were all active in playing the music right there. there's not just a huge "PLAY" button that they climb up a ladder to and push really hard to start their set...so, yeah, some trance is very cheesey and cookie-cutter-like, but look beyond those and listen to all the other great artists out there. i know you'd be upset if i automatically dismissed phish, pink floyd, etc cause they play guitar in their music just like matchbox 20 and third eye blind

?But then I suppose it takes at
least one hour to lose time in,
who has been longer than history
getting into the mechanical
progression of it."
William Faulkner

Offlinesevendef
journeyman
Loc: Maine, USA
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: TheMagicalMushi]
    #352844 - 07/02/01 02:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Tool.

that new song 'triad' is really cool, it just keeps going in waves

Music - Rhythm - Energy - Euphoria

--------------------
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fuckin high on drugs.

Offlinesevendef
journeyman
Loc: Maine, USA
    #352845 - 07/02/01 02:05 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i like instrumental bands and electronic music alot

techno shit may not require much raw talent like guitar or whatnot, but you still have to be very creative to make a good track and thats all that matters really is the creativity
(yea some techno is very weak just like some bands)

now, i dont care what your opinion is, rap, r&b, and boy bands suck.. talk about zero talent and creativity.. that shit is poison to the musical community

Music - Rhythm - Energy - Euphoria

--------------------
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fuckin high on drugs.

Offlinephaeton
enthusiast
Loc: the netherlands
    #352849 - 07/02/01 02:28 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

goa/psychedelic trance is definitely very trippy indeed :) infected mushroom, hallucinogen, hux flux, cosmosis, logic bomb, koxbox/psychopod & pleiadians/etnica , it's all nice :) it's nowadays heading towards a more minimal approach which i like too .. good minimal psytrance artists are son kite, noma, atmos, vibrasphere, shiva chandra, tarsis, disco slickers & midi miliz/spirallianz .. but for non-dancing trips i'd check out some artists from the first list i mentioned, as those artist's tracks usually have a bit more interesting and complex, _psychedelic_ layers :)

and on the more chilled side of things, i'd recommend shpongle (simon posford aka hallucinogen & raja ram) to anyone ofcourse .. their new album 'tales of the inexpressible' is marvellous, though their first one 'are you shpongled?' was a bit easier to listen imho, less freaky :) both brilliant albums ... another favourite psychedelic chill out group of mine is ozric tentacles .. i really like almost everything they've made, and that is a whole lot during the last 20 years or so ;) they're an instrumental band that combines both acoustic and electronic instruments in a very psychedelic way .. hard to describe, so you've got to check it out if you haven't yet heard of them :) also don't forget the orb and if you're into a bit more experimental things autechre is great for trips too :)

happy travels through your inner worlds ;)

bom bom!

rik / phaeton

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: phaeton]
    #352946 - 07/02/01 08:57 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

due to how much i heard about it, i just bought Tool's new album ... mighty impressed!  schism is probably my fav. track, i might try it trippin one day, but its pretty fuckin dark i dunno how well that'd go over
argh i just found out that my friend tripped shrooms lasnight while i was sitting home doin nothing, and i wasnt even invited :mad: oh well one of these days i might get acid again ...

We're all MADD here...

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #352978 - 07/02/01 10:07 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

apperintly terrapin youve never tried making any techno, its harder then you mght think, and whats with you people saying it takes no talent to prodice electronic music?!

You approach the turnstiles and know
that when you get there you have to give
the man two dollars or he won't let you
inside but when you get there everything
goes wrong.

Edited by windex on 07/02/01 03:12 PM.

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: windex]
    #352996 - 07/02/01 11:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've recently overheard people saying the same shit about artwork or animation done on a computer. A couple of ignorant, clearly computer-illiterate old timers bitching about artists used to need talent but now they're all just learning how to use the computer- it's just "push a button and it makes a picture," no one needs to know how to draw anymore.

(That's laughable to anyone who's actually tried working with these programs- I like CG myself but I still prefer to draw on paper, because it is much faster and easier. )

Or people saying that all "CG" looks the same, a comparable claim to the one that all "techno" is repetetive. It's all about talent. Someone with no talent can churn out a generic image that you look at and immediately say, "Oh, that was made by [name of software package]." Someone with talent can produce a piece with the exact same software package, which you look at and immediately say "Oh, that was made by [name of talented illustrator.]"

Someone who can make a *good* picture on the machine, with a clear personal style overriding the "generic CG look," could also make a good picture with pen and ink, or oil paints, or a box of fucking Crayolas for that matter. And anyone who can't create a convincing character animation with a #2 pencil and a pad of Post-It notes couldn't do it in Maya on a SGI either.

Music is not at all my area of expertise, but I hope you can see how what I'm saying relates.

Edited by Xibalba on 07/02/01 04:23 PM.

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: Xibalba]
    #353002 - 07/02/01 11:35 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

very good point xibalba

You approach the turnstiles and know
that when you get there you have to give
the man two dollars or he won't let you
inside but when you get there everything
goes wrong.

OfflineFatch
Stranger
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: windex]
    #353163 - 07/04/01 10:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I can relate to what you are saying about the CG graphics crap. Anybody that has ever tried skinning (go play some quake, j00!), will know that CG art requires talent and skill. Just look at www.polycount.com I do, however, know a few people who would tell me to go f*ck myself if I showed them a peice of my work just because it was done in Photoshop. Blech,

Fatch

Invisibleso_me_tuo
Stranger
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: Fatch]
    #5277387 - 02/08/06 09:40 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

for really good electronic music I highly suggest Mum,scanner, loscil, and as mentioned earlyer boards of canada. other awsome music godspeed you black emporer, the album leaf, mogwai. you guys should really listen to these bands they will really blow your mind wide open.

Invisibleknowhereman
fuck ratings
Male

Loc: USA
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: so_me_tuo]
    #5278767 - 02/09/06 03:45 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Listen to THE BEATLES while tripping.

--------------------
Everybody HA HA!

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: knowhereman]
    #5278913 - 02/09/06 04:23 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

everyone should definitely check out Godspeed you! Black emperor if they aren't listed in here yet.

The album static is particularly excellent. They are a very brainwave oriented (i theorise) progessive instrumental band (we're talking 20 minute "songs") with kind of a loose rockish feel but plenty of violins and ambient noise and neat stuff.

they are not good marijuana music, but LSA and a small bit of weed works really well, whatever drugs you use to hyper focus, it's not about expanding the quality of the sound so much as feeling like you are connected to each and every note.

because on those sorts of psychedelics, with this band, you follow the tempo/phrasing, etc, and each and every one of their notes really does lead you out into space, and they pace it at such a way as to really make their music very much a guided meditation.

they're good sober, not so good stoned, great on a bit of LSA+minor amounts of weed and I'd assume possibly DXM + minor amounts of weed.

Weed itself though, you just kind of get lost in their atmosphere but aren't really lead into the right brainwave frequencies, I find.

Tool also does this kind of stuff with their music and is trippy listening if you follow the sort of "repeteive" guitar parts and pay close attention to how they fit with the rest of the music, they are very good at leading you in and out of mental states..... especially the song eulogy comes to mind.

that's about all the trippy music I know.

Dredg - El Cielo or Waterbourne are great as well.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

OfflineOuster
Stranger
    #13339647 - 10/15/10 07:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I make some pretty trippy music myself...

Ouster - Back in the game(has a trippy video)

Ouster - Abracadabra

Most of my music is available to download for free at www.soundclick.com/ouster

OfflineDarwin23
INFJ
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: Ouster]
    #13339653 - 10/15/10 07:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Not so much trippy as blow you're fucking mind when you're hard tripping. Sun O))

--------------------

Take a look at my journal

OfflineTaylorr
just a guy
Re: Very Trippy Music [Re: knowhereman]
    #13339675 - 10/15/10 07:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

knowhereman said:
Listen to THE BEATLES while tripping.

amen to that brother!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale