Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Summer of Love
    #7209271 -

Yes, it cliche'. Yes, I'm sure someone's already posted about this. Yes, I understand that it's hyped up and full of hippie-storytelling.

Nevertheless, I was unfortunately not alive during this period-- so I hear the cleaned-up beautiful stories of breathtakingly colourful times, humanitarian comming together, and magical places and people.

I think, here, 40 years after that wonderful summer, we can still have hope that all you need is love.

Love and Peace,
Anarchotrip


--------------------
YIPPIE!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: AnarchoTrip]
    #7209325 -

:hippie:  :flowerchild:

Peace & Love :heart:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7209332 -

Right now for me , it's summer in the mornings, rain in the evenings, and wishing it was love at nights.


--------------------
Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce

Medical science has confirmed what the male world has known intuitively for millenia: that scratching your ass is a great aid to complex thinking.

Its God's responsibility to forgive the terrorist organizations such as Jaish, Lashkar etc.
Its our responsibility to arrange the meeting between them and god."
- Indian Armed Forces

"Hey Monkey!! Get Funky" - Tarzan and Jane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: shakercee]
    #7209337 -

Just at nights? :what:

:hehehe:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: AnarchoTrip]
    #7209347 -

You should read Joan Didion's Slouching Toward Bethlehem for a slightly different take on the summer of '67. There was a lot of awakening to Love for sure, but there was also a lot of speed and meth and rape and confused kids who screwed their lives up by flocking to the scene. 'The Summer of Love' was a creation of mass media. There was interesting stuff going on, but not more interesting than what's happening Now.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: Lion]
    #7209355 -

i once had a summer of love.

followed by a fall of abortions.


true story

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: rubixcubies]
    #7209359 -

And a winter of discontent, no doubt. :sad:


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: AnarchoTrip]
    #7209361 -

Sorry, but where exactly is the spiritual/philosophical topic for discussion here? Maybe this summer of love buzz should be taken to the pub? :cool: :heart:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7209367 -

err..ehmm..hmmm ah well..it is better at night.


--------------------
Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce

Medical science has confirmed what the male world has known intuitively for millenia: that scratching your ass is a great aid to complex thinking.

Its God's responsibility to forgive the terrorist organizations such as Jaish, Lashkar etc.
Its our responsibility to arrange the meeting between them and god."
- Indian Armed Forces

"Hey Monkey!! Get Funky" - Tarzan and Jane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: Sinbad]
    #7209379 -

Sinbad said:
Sorry, but where exactly is the spiritual/philosophical topic for discussion here? Maybe this summer of love buzz should be taken to the pub? :cool: :heart:



Well, we can talk, as bug suggested, what "summer of love" really meant and how it affects our lives :shrug:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: Sinbad]
    #7209398 -

It could also be a debate about the sexual revolution, its pros and cons.


--------------------
Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce

Medical science has confirmed what the male world has known intuitively for millenia: that scratching your ass is a great aid to complex thinking.

Its God's responsibility to forgive the terrorist organizations such as Jaish, Lashkar etc.
Its our responsibility to arrange the meeting between them and god."
- Indian Armed Forces

"Hey Monkey!! Get Funky" - Tarzan and Jane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7209450 -

MushroomTrip said:
Well, we can talk, as bug suggested, what "summer of love" really meant and how it affects our lives :shrug:



I didn't live it. So I can't say it's directly impacted my life. Also, yes, I'm aware that a lot of the Summer of Love was, to put simply, bad. I still like the philosophy of it. Every person can come together with love? The practicality of it falls short, but the idea of The Summer of Love is beauty. The pictures I see of the Human Be-In are gorgeous-- such a colourful time period!

Also, the risque and sensuality of the time period may have been inappropriate and unhealthy, but sexual freedom--sexual revolution--that's beauty. Human sexuality is a beautiful thing.

So, what do ya'll believe? Sexual Revolution/Summer of Love: good or bad? positive or negative?


--------------------
YIPPIE!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: AnarchoTrip]
    #7209493 -

Well I think that the whole hippie movement was exactly what the world was "aching" for at the given moment.
I also think that it was a childish, immature and unthoughtful act (mostly), something that if it were to be repeated in the same manner, would be entirely foolish because it wouldn't bring any improvements.
It is the right thing to want freedom in all it's forms, but I think we have to get smart so we can attain what we want. A "revolt" in my opinion would do no good. :shrug:


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7209507 -

well, stephen & ina may gaskin & the farm community moved to TN in a monster schoolbus caravan, but their heads & hearts were surely shaped by the SF happenings (including, for sure, the summer of '67)...
& they are some righteously decent folk...


--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7209508 -

The revolution occurred mostly in a limited area and groups. It never reached where it mattered most, the government and military-industrial.


--------------------
Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy - Ambrose Bierce

Medical science has confirmed what the male world has known intuitively for millenia: that scratching your ass is a great aid to complex thinking.

Its God's responsibility to forgive the terrorist organizations such as Jaish, Lashkar etc.
Its our responsibility to arrange the meeting between them and god."
- Indian Armed Forces

"Hey Monkey!! Get Funky" - Tarzan and Jane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Summer of Love [Re: AnarchoTrip]
    #7209625 -

I was going into the 9th grade and spent a week with my older cousin Neil and his family at Lake Hopatcong in New Jersey. Eighth grade was the year of clothing from England's Carnaby Street, and 1966 had been the year that I grew my hair long (not by later standards). The Summer of Love was going strong in some places, notably California, but it was not so obvious in the NY-NJ are from my recollection. Viet Nam WAS going strong and the whole youth culture was joined by the spirit of the times to be PEACE. Black music was still music, not whatever 'rap' is supposed to be, and although segregation was illegal, little osmosis between Black and White took place except perhaps through musical appreciation. Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana and a few others even dressed in hippy fashion which was another bridge between youth cultures.

Psychedelics were the drug of the times, not cocaine (which changed hippydom to disco in the mid-seventies). Cocaine influx changed things: "When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake" (The Fugs paraphrasing Plato in song). Coke meant big money, which meant big danger, which brought weapons and violence into the scene. It also brought overdose, death and addiction. The money element from coke fed the materialism and 'body high' that coke was about. Luxury in every form swept back to fill the void created by years of faded jeans, mocassins and love beads. Hair cuts became the costly thing, make-up and high heels for females.

The Summer of Love was an anomaly in society, but if one is courageous enough to be alone and disliked for not going along with the current cultural programming, one can still cultivate a hippy persona, and one can still follow a spiritual path which values love and compassion above all else in a violent, low-chakra based world.

Peace.


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How many people do you literally love?
( 1 2 all )
World Spirit 5,279 22 08/01/02 04:49 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Why first love? dumlovesyou 2,649 9 04/26/03 12:38 PM
by ninjahedge
* The New Revolution
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
ArmFromTheAbyss 4,557 81 05/28/03 09:55 PM
by Murex
* I h8 it when "revolution" is sold back to us
( 1 2 3 all )
sammy_jankis 5,060 55 05/22/04 03:55 AM
by Positronius
* Love Thy Enemy
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
silversoul7 10,042 109 09/21/03 09:33 AM
by shakta
* Take part in the Revolution
( 1 2 3 all )
ShroomismM 4,454 54 03/26/04 04:21 PM
by abhi
* Self love = masterbation = guilty conscience
( 1 2 3 all )
World Spirit 8,861 45 08/27/02 02:56 AM
by CosmicJoke
* The Revolution *updated - forums*
( 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 all )
ShroomismM 28,346 235 12/12/05 06:39 AM
by deepr

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,597 topic views. 3 members, 4 guests and 27 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.