Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
When does religion fade into mysticsm?
    #3967362 - 03/25/05 02:03 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Were the roman gods and goddess ever worshipped by the masses?  if they were and their worship died out then how long does it take contemporary religions to become myth and why does it happen?  i was just thinking about this in my bible class because i understand the bible as nothing more than a mythical storybook, just like the roman and greek myths.  my first question is what this is all based on so if the answer is "no" then i don't know if there is anything to discuss under this thread :frown:. :thumbup:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefearfect
Re: When does religion fade into mysticsm? [Re: TODAY]
    #3967382 - 03/25/05 02:07 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i believe that with time, the current religions will also fade into mysticism. Its like a fad. Think about how much the main (current) religions have changed in the past 2000 years.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: When does religion fade into mysticsm? [Re: fearfect]
    #3967416 - 03/25/05 02:27 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

so one day christianity will tell of strange figures named Moses and abraham and the legendary king of the jews, jesus christ?  it seems very strange that this would happen.  i'm thinking alot of the reason that old myths fell out of place is because there wasn't proper documentation, things aren't as shrouded in mystery as they were in the time of lost religions.  we aren't going to accidentally burn all of the world's bibles...and even if we did we have computers to store the whole book on a CD.  i wonder if we're stuck with christianity forever, :lol:.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblefearfect
    #3967428 - 03/25/05 02:32 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

im thinking, at least hoping, that eventually people will abandon their religions in favor of pursuing knowledge of this life, rather then the "next"

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: When does religion fade into mysticsm? [Re: fearfect]
    #3968168 - 03/25/05 12:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fearfect said:
im thinking, at least hoping, that eventually people will abandon their religions in favor of pursuing knowledge of this life, rather then the "next"

Right on fearfect! :smile:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3968395 - 03/25/05 01:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Actually mysticism fades into religion, not the other way around. Throughout history someone who has experience (not faith) of divinity comes along and brings light into the world. After his death his message becomes diluted and corrupted over time leaving us with religion. Religion is the dessicated remains of what once had life.

Anyway I take your point. Why does it happen? Usually it takes some sort of calamity. A foreign power takes over your country and culture. A volcano kills two thirds of your citizens and your culture goes into decline. These types of disasters cause people to question their faiths en masse. Religions don't turn into myth when things are going well.

Christianity as we know it will change and die out just like all the others did. It is the conceit of mankind to think his religion is the only true religion.

That change doesn't happen overnight. The old religion will morph into another form. Christianity itself contains elements of pagan belief systems. They were included to provide familiar elements to allow the pagans to more easily transition into the new faith.

And so it goes..

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: When does religion fade into mysticsm? [Re: Jellric]
    #3968579 - 03/25/05 02:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

""When does religion fade into mysticsm?""

When it re-

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: When does religion fade into mysticsm? [Re: Gomp]
    #3968628 - 03/25/05 02:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

>> When does religion fade into mysticsm?

The point at which a religious discipline is concerned with subjective matters rather than objective ones is the point at which rigor becomes freedom.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineLux
Re: When does religion fade into mysticsm? [Re: Ped]
    #3969161 - 03/25/05 04:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I also agree with the notion of mysticsm coming first as a spiritual path of self-discovery, which I see as the foundation of all religions. Religions as we know it now have become distorted, some worse than others.

There is a difference between mysticsm and myths. Like I said, I see mysticsm more in line with a spiritual path of self-discovery. Myths, such as those of the greeks I see just as much as a religion than any other, though far less distorted. Throughout history mystics have spoken with metaphors and poetry to get their message across due to the often inadequacy of language. The greek myths must be seen metaphorically. They(the greeks) had a very proud belief in this world and in themselves, far more than I can say for some strict modern-day followers of common religions.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3969439 - 03/25/05 05:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The Romans took their pantheon from the Greeks, and the Greek took some of their's from the Egyptians. Although there have been some attempts to identify certain beings of mythic proportion with historical individuals (like Hermes-Mercury with Hermes Trimegistus), classic polytheistic religion existed in the mythological plane alone. This does NOT mean that they were not 'real,' just not historically 'real.' The gods and goddesses of antiquity still exist as the Archetypes they have always been. Read Jean Shinoda Bolen's Gods in Everyman and Goddesses in Everywoman to see how these archetypal aspects of ourselves still comprise who we are.

Biblical religion embodies a different process. There were indeed historical persons involved, yet the same mythic-archetypal realities that produced the pagan pantheons were projected onto these persons. It is still difficult to 'demythologize' people like Enoch, Moses or Jesus, and see them for whom they really were before writings, legends and traditions made them the supernatural heroes we're taught about in Saturday or Sunday school.

It is not accurate to reduce the spiritual status of a Biblical person, to 'a mere myth,' because, in the words of Joseph Campbell, 'the power of myth' is the enlivening spirit that imbues these stories with life-changing abilities. Mythologies, while colored culturally, are universal themes, archetypes that comprise the very structures of the foundational human psyche. For example, Thoth of the Egyptians is Hermes of the Greeks is Mercury of the Romans is Gabriel of Christianity and Islam is Papa Legba in Voudun (Voodoo) is Elegua in Santeria. They look different when illustrated, but they all have pretty much all the same characteristics of being 'messenger,' guide-of-souls, involved with dreams or magick. Bolen's books show how different people's personalities and occupations reflect these gods and goddesses.

Myth, as psychospiritual and not physical (unless 'incarnated' or actualized in people) may represent a higher order of Reality than the merely physical. Individual physical people come and go, live and die, but myths endure for millennia, arising from the depths of each individual from a place beyond the individual.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology