Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDeviate
getting confused on the way to enlightenment?
    #3772193 - 02/12/05 08:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

on shrooms i had what timothy leary called the "ontological revelation" or something like that. it means realizing that the brain frabricates realities. from this state of awareness normal emotional involvement with reality no longer works. for example after the trip i called my girlfriend but while we were on the phone i was acutely aware of the fact that the phone, her voice and the meaning of the words were all being created by me, they were all objects of my own concsiousness which held no inherint emotional value. it is i that assign the value to specific perceptions and become happy/sad as a result. because of this talking to her seemed completely pointless so i just said bye and hung up. from this state the entire outside world appeared completely meaningless. it was totally clear that i make up the values, i make up all the meaning. even this post is completely meaningless, its just that we have agreed upon meanings for the symbols you see here and thus create the meanings inside our heads. anyway my question is what is to be done with that awareness? i know i wasn't completely enlightened because instead of feeling at peace i felt very confused and like most of the world was insane. it felt like a bad thing because it seemed like it would be a lot easier to resume my life if i went back to the old erronous way of percieving.

Edited by Deviate (02/12/05 08:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Deviate]
    #3772945 - 02/13/05 02:17 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: getting confused on the way to enlightenment? [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3773021 - 02/13/05 02:54 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

confused - 'n focused..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: getting confused on the way to enlightenment? [Re: Deviate]
    #3773175 - 02/13/05 04:30 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This state would be perfect for beginning meditation, becuase whether you are aware of it or not, subtle emotions were still at play causing your confusion.

Becuase you relalized to a certain degree that all manfiestations of our external world come from our own minds, would'nt it be logical to investigate the nature of that which creates?

Sitting mediatation can be extremly insightful, especially when in a state whereby you have already recognised the pointlessness of material existence, its like you have prepared your mind well, and as a result have less attachment with which to hinder your investigation!

Mental agitation you may discover is the source of your confusion, once that has been disolved through meditation (single pointed concentration on an external or internal object) from there it will become easy to solve all problems. :smile:

So what i suggest is single pointed meditation.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: getting confused on the way to enlightenment? [Re: Sinbad]
    #3773566 - 02/13/05 08:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yes, meditate :cool:

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: getting confused on the way to enlightenment? [Re: Sinbad]
    #3773571 - 02/13/05 08:41 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"in solution, lays the problems root.. "
-Unknown :p

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: getting confused on the way to enlightenment? [Re: Gomp]
    #3773683 - 02/13/05 09:34 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You've made a great discovery, congratulations! :smile:

The talk with your girlfriend was superficial, and you realized this. But don't be fooled: many people share your discovery and are able to have very proufound and meaningful conversation. If you're tired of the normal trivial conversation, steer it yourself in a deeper direction. Firstly say how you truly feel, be totally honest. This ensures that something true is in the conversation, and it encourages others to also be honest. Maybe your girlfriend isn't ready for that, in which case perhaps it's time to move on.

Every external situation is accompanied by an internal reaction to it. You realize that your emotional reaction is arbitrary, created by you. Understand that what you take out of any situation is relative, but is precisely what you need to take. For example, if you're talking about how you don't like to mess up your hair and how you brush it so carefully, you might all of a sudden realize how trivial it is. You could dismiss it as another meaningless conversation, or you could take from it was is pertinent to you: one shouldn't be overly preoccupied with his or her external appearance, so the lesson, tailored specifically to you, is that you shouldn't care about your hair so much. There's always a lesson in everything, no matter how trivial, but when you interpret it then the end meaning, symbolic, is hardly trivial.

Is everything completely meaningless? No! :laugh: Conventionality, by nature, always points back to the fundamental. Everything superficial is a (perhaps crude) symbol for something more deep and profound. Were something truly 100% illusory then you wouldn't even see it in the first place (i.e. even a mirage exists to an extent); were things truly 100% meaningless then you wouldn't know what to make of them, how to interpret them, and you wouldn't perceive them at all. Everything exists to the extent that you perceive/experience it. "What are these strange intermingling vibrations? Ah yes, the external world! What is this strange external world? Ah yes..."

The confusion you feel is a necessary and temporary step along your journey. The world is, quite literally (that is, ironically, per their very own definition), insane. But everytime you see someone act in a completely oblivious and mistaken manner, take the opportunity to think what the right action would be. Learn to learn from the conventional. And make sure you apply this lesson to your own life, to your own everyday thoughts and actions.

If you go back to the old way of perceiving things, then indeed it will be easier...for a time. But eventually you have to face this (and then move on to the next step). If you deny it now then you'll have a bad trip, or a mid-life crisis, or a psychotic break, or some other aspect of reality that emplores you to wake up. If you remain in denial your whole life, then you'll still have to face it in your next reincarnation. But understand this: it is immensely joyful, liberating, and awe-inspiring to walk the path. :smile: It's an adventure! :mushroom2:

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: getting confused on the way to enlightenment? [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3773696 - 02/13/05 09:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

awesome post/advice phoenix :cool:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: getting confused on the way to enlightenment? [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3773863 - 02/13/05 10:57 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup: :mushroom2:

It was nice to hear that expressed in a totally different set of words than the ones I am accustomed to hearing them expressed in. :laugh:

What can you do with that kind of perspective, my friend? Everything! :grin: If you understand the mechanics of how our mind interprets external situations and gives them meaning, and also how our mind produces the feelings and thoughts that it does, one is free to begin to reprogram their mind to better themselves, to begin to access higher realms of consciousness. One can begin to become more aware of their mind's operations and can begin to take active control over their thoughts and actions, instead of thinking and acting through subconscious thought patterns, often bound and reinforced by emotion (meaning that feelings are invoked in an effort to make you act a certain way - a movement in the trees matches a pattern that is interpreted as a predator which then produces the feeling of fear which leads you to either fight or flight, etc.)

Etc. etc. etc.. running out of time to post. :grin: I'd suggest checking out the Handbook To Higher Consciousness by Ken Keyes Jr, and I'd also suggest starting to read into Zen and Tao. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag