Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: Australia
    #3486538 - 12/12/04 04:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

to have clarity of mind is to have Enlightenment?

suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Enlightenment [Re: spudamore]
    #3486547 - 12/12/04 04:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What is "enlightenment," and why does there seem to be so much confusion about it in these times?

Well, the confusion arises because so many people write about it without knowing it directly. One can become an expert on it without knowing it directly. Because an expert means you know a lot "about" something, but you do not necessarily know "it.? Confusion arises there.

What is enlightenment? Again, it is so vast not any one definition would do it justice. It would be a tiny aspect of it. And you can look at it from so many perspectives, this one, that one, that one. And every time it looks as if it were different.

Another reason why it can be confusing is you reach one person's definition of enlightenment, he or she is looking from "this" perspective. And then you read somebody else's, and they are looking from that perspective. There's the ancient old Indian story of blind men describing an elephant, one touching the trunk, another a leg, the tail, and soon. [Laughter]

The confusion arises in trying to understand through the mind what enlightenment is. That is impossible. Any description is only a signpost. So the mind can only go a certain way, and then the signpost has to be left behind. And the mind gets attached to a signpost, which is a teaching or description, a concept. And then confusion arises because then it sees another signpost and says, "Oh, maybe that is the true one." It becomes defensive, identities with "this one" and says that's me.

So, to the question. "What is enlightenment?" one could say simply, it is when there is no longer any identification with thinking. When there is no longer self-identification with thought processes and self-seeking through thinking. Then the compulsive nature of thinking ceases. Then gaps arise in the mind-stream. That means the unconditioned consciousness arises and is realized as stillness or presence. There is nobody there who "realizes." It is realized. It realizes itself. [Chuckle]

~Interview with Eckhart Tolle.

Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Love is like a train...

Loc: The Sea
Re: Enlightenment [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3486570 - 12/12/04 04:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Respected respnse, indefinitely.

A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Loc: Australia
Re: Enlightenment [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #3486590 - 12/12/04 04:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

definitely  :thumbup:

suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology