Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Conflicting and confused beliefs
    #2387793 - 02/29/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know what I believe anymore. A little less then 2 1/2 years ago I was confused about religion and stuff. I found a friend that was Mormon and started talking to her about what her beliefs were and stuff and they sounded really good and many reflected my own. I was fairly devoted for about 8 months. In that time I changed completely. I was practically a different person. It was pretty weird. After a while I began to doubt my religion and become unsure of it. Then I just gave up on it entirely and stopped going to church but some of my beliefs still stayed the same and I sort of kept the same beliefs and stuff. Then about 10 months after I stopped going to church I started smoking marijuana. I researched it and upon discovering how it wasn't such a bad thing I got even more confused on why the church would be so against it. Especially mushrooms because I mean really how are they harmfull? Anyways after doing mushrooms for the second time I got a lot of weird ideas on that trip like how time didn't exist and things like that. I still can't completely comprehend or even explain it but it's fucked up. My third trip I felt a huge connectiveness to the earth and to nature and other beings. The last trip I had which was my 5th and strongest trip, during the peak I closed my eyes and I could sort of feel myself, not my body, but some sort of energy and once again a connectiveness that I cannot explain except this time it was stronger. Now I don't know what to believe. The beliefs that were ingrained in my brain during the time I was Mormon are lingering and don't want to leave but I'm seeing life and the world differently now and don't quite believe that the church is right anymore.

So I'm not sure what I'm asking with this post. How to get rid of my past beliefs? I don't really know what's right anymore. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Conflicting and confused beliefs [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #2387813 - 02/29/04 01:11 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I pick up on bits and pieces of my beliefs everywhere. Don't constrain yourself to "one" church, or "one" belief. Go where your heart takes you. Flow with it. Listen. Observe. Learn.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conflicting and confused beliefs [Re: Frog]
    #2387851 - 02/29/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, but fuck I dunno. I always want to know stuff and in this case I want to know what will happen when I die. I mean supposing there is a correct church I wouldn't want to end up burning in hell for not following it. Then again I would rather lead a free life and not be restricted to following something. I don't know. Maybe it's about some fear I have, maybe it's simply curiosity, or maybe both. Some times I want to kill myself. Not because I'm depressed, but curious about what happens after and during death.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2387871 - 02/29/04 01:36 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm going to tell you what I believe. Others, of course, will come behind me and tell you what they believe. I like this exchange of ideas. You don't have to buy what I say, I'm just telling you what I believe.

I believe in God, and I believe God sent His son to die for our sins. Period. This means I will go to heaven. I apologize to everyone who disagrees with me and wants proof, cuz I don't have it. All I have is the bible.

But anyways, even though the bible has flaws, I have read it and gone to bible studies, and I have come to the conclusion that God is not a mean God, but a loving God, and that we don't stop living just because we experience physical death. Life goes on.

I am not going to say more than that. I don't know which church is right. I don't believe in any "church". I simply believe in the bible. But the interpretation of the bible can come from just about anywhere. Which is why I say listen, observe, learn. You never know from what source the bible will be interpreted.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2387880 - 02/29/04 01:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I see...

Well I do know that I believe in being a good person so to speak which relects some christian beliefs. I don't know, like I don't go overboard and follow the Bible and try to be perfect, but I do try and be a nice guy to people and be generous and forgiving and stuff. But I sure as hell aint perfect.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2387897 - 02/29/04 01:45 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tasty_Smurf_House said:
I see...

Well I do know that I believe in being a good person so to speak which relects some christian beliefs. I don't know, like I don't go overboard and follow the Bible and try to be perfect, but I do try and be a nice guy to people and be generous and forgiving and stuff. But I sure as hell aint perfect.

Me, neither.  :grin:

I liken myself to David, in the bible, who was probably the biggest sinner there was, but who was a man after God's own heart.  He was a sinner, but he loved God.  He was a big advocate for God.

I am a big sinner.  I am so very not perfect.  I'm not just saying this.  I don't go around murdering people, although sometimes I would like to, but I have my own sins.  All God asks is that we try.  So, I try.  I fall short.  I just don't sit around beating myself up over my sins.  But I don't excuse myself for the sins, claiming salvation.  I don't justify my sins. 

For me, the bible is a road map, telling me what pleases God.  It's like the statutes in the code books, saying what laws you are breaking if you do certain things.  If you speed, you are breaking the law, but you aren't going to go to hell for it.  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2387907 - 02/29/04 01:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Why is no one else getting involved? haha. But if everyone is going to heaven because of Jesus, then what's the point?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2387918 - 02/29/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, that's where it gets tricky, and that's where everyone gets pissed off in this kind of discussion.

If there's a heaven, and if the only way you can reach it is by accepting Jesus as your savior, then it's UNFAIR that people who are GOOD are going to hell, simply for not believing that Jesus died for their sins.

*sighs*

edit: I don't know why the non-believers get pissed off. If they don't believe in God and Jesus anyways, why do they get pissed of that they aren't going to heaven for not believing? If they don't beleive in God or Jesus, there is no heaven to go to, right?

--------------------

Edited by Frog (02/29/04 02:01 AM)

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2387973 - 02/29/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Confusing.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2387995 - 02/29/04 02:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Confusion is part of the process. Trust me. Dont dedicate your mind to a specific discipline. Decorate your mind with thousands.

Chaos breeds order from chaos.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conflicting and confused beliefs [Re: psyka]
    #2388011 - 02/29/04 03:06 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How do I go about finding what I need to find and when do I know when I've found it?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2388042 - 02/29/04 03:24 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You are going to have to figure that out for yourself. 

Personally, if I had a magic wand,  I would make Christians of all the people that I liked.  That would include just about everybody. 

Then, poof!  I would exclude everyone that didn't like me.  That would include just about everyone, too.  :grin:

Thank God, that I'm not "God".  :grin"

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2388518 - 02/29/04 11:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Non-believers get pissed off because believers insist on using their superstitions to direct public policy and want to proscribe how we all should act. Believers on the shroomery don't support the drug prohibitions, but most of their brethren do. Extra-marital sex for purposes other than procreation are anathema to them. They want to teach Creationism as scientific fact. I haven't even mentioned what the Muslims want. There is almost no end to how believers apply the Bible to justify oppression. They have no shame because they think they are better than other people. We get pissed off because they won't leave us alone.

Once again, the believers on the shroomery seem willing to leave us alone but the shroomery is quite rare. The great sadness of Atheism is that, when believers die, there will be no consciousness for them to say to themselves, "shit, what a dumb bastard I was to have wasted so much of my life on nonsense."

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Conflicting and confused beliefs [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2388558 - 02/29/04 11:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, why get mad at all believers? When someone steals something from me, I don't say, "Those nasty little non-believers!"

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2388570 - 02/29/04 11:49 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

MOST believers want to impose their views on everyone. If they were all like shroomerite believers, or even most of them, we wouldn't get mad.

Also, you should reconsider your feelings in regard to thieving non-believers. We are nasty, almost all thieves are non-believers, and almost all non-believers are thieves

--------------------

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2388611 - 02/29/04 12:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

study fractals....the question is, was there something that created the fractal? and if so, is it part of it or seperate from it?

this may not answer any of your questions, sorry

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conflicting and confused beliefs [Re: CleverName]
    #2388864 - 02/29/04 02:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

fractals are fucked up

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2388974 - 02/29/04 03:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Why look to an external source to find out what you believe in? Trust your own judgement. Figure out what your trips have shown you to be true, and continue to grow. I myself don't have, haven't had and will never have any certainties, except the acknowledgement that existance has a divine ring to it.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2389072 - 02/29/04 04:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, okay.. listen, I've been in a very similar place to this. Nowadays I don't "believe" anything. I take all things into consideration as possibilities, but without personal PROOF of any one being "correct", I will not "pick" one.

See, you don't have to pick one. Not now anyway. It's like if someone were to ask you what you want to go to college for before you researched any of the schools. Now why would you pick before you've researched the options? You see what I'm saying?

I used to attend a church where "born again" christians attended. It was a nondenominational church, I think. Anyway, my dad is a "born again christian" and therefore he wanted me to be, of course. And when I was old enough to realize some merit in spirituality, I TRIED to want to be there. I tried to meet God in that church, but he did not try to meet me. It got to the point where I was so confused as to how I could possibly not feel ANYTHING there.

So I stopped going. My dad, to this day, still gives me "Christianly" advice. I was raised a Christian, so I have a Christian's morals. I do no wrong if I can help it. I always try to do the right thing. And (this is the weird part, for me) I find that it DRAINS me. It's like everyone TAKES, no one gives back.

My Christian father told me, when I related this to him, that this was because I was acting a Christian's role outside of god. I'm always sacrificing myself without a source of refill, basically.

This is all just food for thought, remember.

TAKE ALL THINGS INTO CONSIDERATION, is the best advice I can give you. Tripping has opened your eyes to this concept, and you're scared to let go because it feels like you're "on your own", yes? This is what it seems like.

I wish I had a link to something someone posted recently.. I will see if I can find it and edit if I can.

It's a quote from "Illusions" by Richard Bach.. the one about the creatures living on the bottom of the river.. *runs off to find it*

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conflicting and confused beliefs [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2389081 - 02/29/04 04:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Cool. Thanks. :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology