Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
The world has believed of God in every culture until now.
    #3563872 - 12/31/04 02:13 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Something I have thought while I was at school doing some research. The world has believed of God in every culture until now.

God has been through every culture since the beginning of time except for our Neo-American culture

Every culture has known of a god. Weather it was the New World Aztecs, Maya or Toltec worshiping the wind and water deities from the power of nature in the Yucatan. The Roman God deities being worshiped in the old world. We have found New world, and Old world low relief carvings of God-Like Deities from hunting and gathering tribes dating thousands of years before Christ.

As we know it every culture in existence has believed in a superior being until today. Many Americans are falling from the belief of there being a god. Being American, I find this very scary.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecurious4
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: runnerup]
    #3563882 - 12/31/04 02:16 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

there have always been people like that. there's just more now.

Offlinecurious4
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: curious4]
    #3563883 - 12/31/04 02:16 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

you have no idea whats going on do you?

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

#3563888 - 12/31/04 02:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I hear christianity is still really popular in america.

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

Offlinerunnerup
student

#3563893 - 12/31/04 02:20 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have to disagree. I don't think there have always been an amount of people like this. I'm sure there have been some over the last 500 years but its really scary how many people I run into that don't believe in a god.

Quote:

you have no idea whats going on do you?

I have thought my own ideas on what is going on. but enlighten me, my friend , on your thoughts. =D

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: Toricious]
    #3563902 - 12/31/04 02:24 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I believe the discovery of scientific method has killed god. The world is not a mystical place. Man has been able to observe nature, develop a theory and finally prove his theory. Because this process has held true in so many instances man realizes everything is explainable. There is no reason for god, their are mathematics anc science to explain existance.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
    #3563910 - 12/31/04 02:27 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey there fellow Californian, I'm that newbie that sent you that kind of dumb e-mail a while ago. That's a good question. You know what's funny is people seem to think that atheism is a new thing, although it's true that it has never been as popular in the past as it is now. If you look at this trend towards atheism from an evolutionists perspective you'd say that religion has to adapt in order to survive; that's the nature of the beast right-- survival of the fittest? From a theolian's perspective this trend-- the trend away from a belief in God-- is just another 'sign of the times' indicating that the end of the world is near. I believe there is a God, but I would also tend to concour that religion will have to adapt to some degree in order to survive the onslought of rationalistic critisizm.

Offlinerunnerup
student

Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: soulmotion]
    #3563937 - 12/31/04 02:40 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
I believe the discovery of scientific method has killed god. The world is not a mystical place. Man has been able to observe nature, develop a theory and finally prove his theory. Because this process has held true in so many instances man realizes everything is explainable. There is no reason for god, their are mathematics anc science to explain existance.

Quote:

soulmotion said:
Hey there fellow Californian, I'm that newbie that sent you that kind of dumb e-mail a while ago. That's a good question. You know what's funny is people seem to think that atheism is a new thing, although it's true that it has never been as popular in the past as it is now. If you look at this trend towards atheism from an evolutionists perspective you'd say that religion has to adapt in order to survive; that's the nature of the beast right-- survival of the fittest? From a theolian's perspective this trend-- the trend away from a belief in God-- is just another 'sign of the times' indicating that the end of the world is near. I believe there is a God, but I would also tend to concour that religion will have to adapt to some degree in order to survive the onslought of rationalistic critisizm.

Hey guys I could not agree with you any more. I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking this way.

Science has seemed to be the killer of god. Starting from the evolutionists perspective which still fights some believers today to new advances in biotechnology. The trend has risen and I fear that it is indicating that the end of the world is near, as you have said.

In addition, allot of hatred has been thrown at America and I know that business, money and power is driving America down pretty bad as well. I also believe atheism is higher here then any other country.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #3563996 - 12/31/04 03:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I think you wrongly believed my post to be an affirmation of god.

Without proof of or a way of testing the existence of god I cannot believe it.

I believe religion to be one of the most irrational beliefs held by men.

As Nietzsche stated. "What? Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's?"

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineLizard_King
Twisted from theother side ofDeath
Male
Loc: Vansterdam
    #3564033 - 12/31/04 03:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"As we know it every culture in existence has believed in a superior being until today. Many Americans are falling from the belief of there being a god. Being American, I find this very scary."

"In God we trust", I sometimes find that phrase in with my change eh... I've always wondered about that...

"Money makes the worth go round"

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: Lizard_King]
    #3564049 - 12/31/04 03:38 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

People believe that science is seperate from God. I tend to disagree.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: MOTH]
    #3564091 - 12/31/04 03:56 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"People believe that science is seperate from God. I tend to disagree."

AMEN!

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #3564175 - 12/31/04 04:23 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

And you find it scary because???

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: cb9fl]
    #3564252 - 12/31/04 05:24 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

But this position ends up being as dogmatic, arrogant and limiting as the fundamental religous position eventually.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: GazzBut]
    #3564352 - 12/31/04 07:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i think that there were alot of people who didn't believe, but refrained from saying anything because they didn't want to get banished from the church or worse. why do you think copernicus held back his theory about the orbits of the planets? because if he told he would risk disgrace from the church because the original theory of planets were that the sun was the center of the solar system and that the solar system was in a sphere and heaven and hell were outside of this sphere. it's amazing how religion develops with scientific discovery.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: trick]
    #3564398 - 12/31/04 08:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Several quantum physicists have commented how ancient eastern religous philosophy has many similarities with modern quantum thought so perhaps the subjective realm of religion is not simply the idiot brother of the new idol science?  :smile:

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: GazzBut]
    #3564538 - 12/31/04 10:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

In understanding space-time, human beings must first understand how they can conceive such a thought. Today, science alone cannot understand the source of thought without including an axiomatic fragment of a universal intelligence within their formulas. This fragment is present in every human beings life and experiences. It provides the ability without restrictions, to conceive all that is conceivable from the sensation of trying to intentionally or unintentionally reflect on the axiomatic fragment that is always in a perpetual state of underpinning all human thought. The human mind in general, cannot focus on this fragment without instinctively changing and shifting in a continual succession of seeking understanding. There are no exceptions.

An example of combining science and this axiomatic fragment can be demonstrated by how human beings arrive at the revelation and use of the number "1." The number "1" applies itself in a manner of degrees, more or less, to all existence, real or imagined, as the basis of all numbers. Numbers (with words associated to their identity and meaning) measure all that is measurable by placing in perspective, a framable reality the human mind can comprehend. Anything outside of this framework is infinity, a word without any numerical associations, used by human beings to frame everything outside of space and time.

The human mind in all its abilities to try and understand infinity can only expand upon a baseline of finite space, time, or numbers. All attempts at reaching any understanding of infinity always end the same, with one exception. The human mind must continue to include an axiomatic fragment of a living universal intelligence in all equations when trying to comprehend or define infinity.

Space-time in terms of the solar system, stars, galaxies and universe, can only exist through understanding and accepting the source combination of thought and the number "1" having its origins from within an axiomatic fragment of a living universal intelligence. Without this combination and understanding, space is the allusion of time, the ultimate metaphor between two conflicting points of expectation and human self-reference, making the universe an indefinable existence without degree.

Conclusion

In the past, there is a place where the universe condenses into a singularity; a point of unimaginable density, where the most ordered alpha state, defined as the cosmic absolute, initiates the possible realm of other universes. In the future, the cosmos moves through a cosmological expansion, beyond time, into pure empty space, where all comprehension of possibility becomes nothing. This absolute nothing is where our universe ends and the possibility of other universes begins. The cycle ultimately transcends the idea of ideas and essence of essences within the breath of a living universal intelligence that is the all encompassing n-dimension and absolute Alpha and Omega.

I dunno if any of this makes sense, or if its even true in any sense.

But what I get out of this, is that in order to understand something, we have to create a perspective from which to view this something.

And this concept, called God is the way we measure our pain, like Lennon said.

By going through life in pain, and finally arriving at the end of a revelation, where things suddenly turns out good and makes perfect sense - one discovers the concept God, that has always been embedded in your brain cortex in order to reflect upon your own reality.

After a really hard day, we find ourselves thanking the concept God for the shitty day to be over, rather than hate the fucker for creating the day in the first place. This to me shows how deeply the concept God is imbedded, atleast in my reality-tunnels.

Which again, to me, shows that its not real, its not a thing, its not the creating force of anything. Its not the one we are all a part of, its not the universe its not anything like that at all.

God is just whatever viewpoint from which we direct our own reality.

This whoe ordeal made me think that this is just me, because I've been braught up with a monotheistic religion all around me. But I found myself in my imagination, thanking 'the gods' in ancient greece, so I think it applies to other religions as well.

A small prayer makes the day a little less real.

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: slaphappy]
    #3564581 - 12/31/04 10:33 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I see what you are getting at but you have merely offered one idea of what the god concept means to you. The word "god" can be applied to many, many different concepts.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
Re: The world has believed of God in every culture until now. [Re: slaphappy]
    #3564685 - 12/31/04 11:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No, you are wrong. I am right.

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3565024 - 12/31/04 01:26 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Having done a term paper on this subject, I can assure you that America is getting more religious, not less. It's Europe which is becoming rapidly more secular. However, there have always been atheists. Several thinkers during the Age of Enlightenment saw religion as evil, and some even wished to abolish it(Marx, for example). Furthermore, there are some sects of Buddhism which do not recognize the existence of a deity. Also, there are some cultures who worship their ancestors rather than any supreme being.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology