Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1577 | 1578 | 1579 | 1580 | 1581 | 1582 | 1583 | 1584 | 1585 | 1586 | 1587 | 1588 | 1589 | 1590 | 1591 | 1592 | 1593 | 1594 | 1595 | 1596 | 1597 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dj_karma_magnet]
    #29581925 -

I don't know about the flow hood, but when I reuse my reusable ("autoclavable") petri dishes I PC them at the same time as a jar of agar (in a pp5 yogurt container). They end up with some condensation when I pour them, but usually some are clearer and the others clear up enough within a few days. It has to do with cooling and condensation in the stack.

I'm definitely not an expert, but, I'd transfer some of the clean growth out of there sooner if possible. The mailed wedges I've worked with have usually been smashed to bits, but when I put a few of those bits to a new plate (via scalpel or tweezer, flamed and cooled) they've still taken off within a few days. The grainwater is probably okay, especially if you kept it in the fridge. Wheat grainwater has consistently worked well for me. I've never PC'd my scalpel, I just flame the blade. Sometimes I mist the handle with iso and then burn that off too, but I'm not sure how much that actually matters though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: pickle_jars]
    #29581941 -

Alright, I’m pcing right now, the agar won’t be hardened til later, maybe tmrw, I pour it at 120 degrees to prevent condensation, I’m gonna throw it in the fridge or maybe even the freezer to try to speed up the process a bit tonight. Really would like to cut out the rest of that and transfer before it touches the contam or the walls for that matter as I’ve read touching the walls of the plate can cause contam


Edit: shit I have nothing to put these dishes in, wondering if just throwing them in the pc is safe, followed by another cycle of being sprayed down with rubbing alcohol in front of the flow hood?

Edited by Dj_karma_magnet (05/20/26 08:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dj_karma_magnet]
    #29581989 -

Quote:
I pour it at 120 degrees to prevent condensation,



If that works for you, great (jealous), I pour somewhere around 110-115 F according to my IR thermometer, it still gets condensation, it's not so bad but can take a few days to clear up.

Quote:
as I’ve read touching the walls of the plate can cause contam



The walls of the plate are where contam during pouring tends to appear for me (more exposure?), and if there's too much condensation sloshing about it'll spread around.

Quote:
shit I have nothing to put these dishes in, wondering if just throwing them in the pc is safe, followed by another cycle of being sprayed down with rubbing alcohol in front of the flow hood?



I don't think spraying them with alcohol on its own will be particularly helpful? But I'm literally (re)using a $3 yogurt tub drilled and plugged with polyfil, you can probably figure out something.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: pickle_jars]
    #29582003 -

Well I’m just rawdogg pc’ing it, threw my agar in the freezer for a bit too long and it’s already down to 122 degrees, gonna probably just do 15 psi for 20 minutes so I can finish this before my agar begins to harden, hope this works :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dj_karma_magnet] * 1
    #29582007 -

just boil the bottle for 5min like wtf bruh no need to re pc

dont put hot glass in the freezer. bad things happen to glass with sudden temp changes

:biggestnuke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushboy]
    #29582015 -

Glass it out of freezer, I’m talking about pc’ing the Petri dishes now to sterilize

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dj_karma_magnet]
    #29582037 -

I think you'll find a lot of guys use pre sterilized plates, packaged and only unpackaged inside the still air box. if your sterilizing plates and then pouring them you should probably just look up the no pour Tek and go that route cuz you're doing a bunch of steps that aren't needed, I havent ever sterilized a plate because 400 of them was like 50 bucks I still have 2 x10 sleeves from 2018.

check this out, good guide for no pours. there's no sense in having to sterilize agar and the dish. buy sterilized from a lab supply (or glass if you're really into culturing) or do a no pour and sterilise everything at once.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29349187#29349187


--------------------
REPENT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: jbgtaa] * 9
    #29582400 -



Reminds me of some crazy Alaskan crab.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ihansterx4i]
    #29582549 -

Hey so in general how long is it taking you guys to see growth from inner stipe tissue to agar?? Took a clone to agar two days ago and not seeing anything and I’m sure I’m being impatient I did some drops from some vials I received as well but how long does it take you guys to see growth from vial drops and tissue cultures?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ihansterx4i]
    #29582658 -

Reminds me of the tree of life, beautiful.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Awfullotofshrooms]
    #29582762 -

ihansterx4i said:


Reminds me of some crazy Alaskan crab.



Jesssus fucking christ

:ohshitman:

Awfullotofshrooms said:
Hey so in general how long is it taking you guys to see growth from inner stipe tissue to agar?? Took a clone to agar two days ago and not seeing anything and I’m sure I’m being impatient I did some drops from some vials I received as well but how long does it take you guys to see growth from vial drops and tissue cultures?



~2 days for both IME, give or take a day. If you haven't, tilt it in the light a little, sometimes the start is real wispy and doesn't fill in for a bit. But if it hasn't moved by day 4, weird IMO.



Question: I noticed the myc eating the red from my plates (normal I know). It seems like it's most decolored where the myc was slow, either because of more tomentose growth, or because it hit the edge of the plate. Therefore, on a plate like this, can/should I use coloration as an indicator for where to transfer? Bit of a bad example pic since those two spots are obviously stronger, but imagine if the myc was growing more evenly, but discoloring unevenly. Is that any indication that the speed or metabolism is different?


--------------------


.~`  𝔅 𝔞 𝔤 𝔢 𝔩  🥯  𝔅 𝔦 𝔱 𝔢 𝔰  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

🧪 Castellani Preservation | 🔬 The Slidewich | ☠️ Touchless skull sterilizer | 📸 Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29582868 -

Rasmodius said:
ihansterx4i said:


Reminds me of some crazy Alaskan crab.



Jesssus fucking christ

:ohshitman:

Awfullotofshrooms said:
Hey so in general how long is it taking you guys to see growth from inner stipe tissue to agar?? Took a clone to agar two days ago and not seeing anything and I’m sure I’m being impatient I did some drops from some vials I received as well but how long does it take you guys to see growth from vial drops and tissue cultures?



~2 days for both IME, give or take a day. If you haven't, tilt it in the light a little, sometimes the start is real wispy and doesn't fill in for a bit. But if it hasn't moved by day 4, weird IMO.



Question: I noticed the myc eating the red from my plates (normal I know). It seems like it's most decolored where the myc was slow, either because of more tomentose growth, or because it hit the edge of the plate. Therefore, on a plate like this, can/should I use coloration as an indicator for where to transfer? Bit of a bad example pic since those two spots are obviously stronger, but imagine if the myc was growing more evenly, but discoloring unevenly. Is that any indication that the speed or metabolism is different?



I'd take from 7 to 8 clock, everything else looks kind of weird for a tissue sample. you're the only one that can make any other assumptions on it because its your culture lol nobody here knows if the metabolism is good because it likes red food dye :rofl:


--------------------
REPENT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: jbgtaa]
    #29583583 -

White rabbit on the left bluey Vuitton on the right. Both from a vial

B+ Drops from a vial

Blue magnolia tissue clone and a T1 blue mag clone and a PE spore transfer


Here’s the spores of the PE
Here’s the plate I took the blue mag transfer from
How’s this all looking? The tissue sample was taken the same day as the B+ and the b+ is white already as my clone is essentially invisible but the growth is there tho. Anything I should be concerned for? Anyone tell me how they make spore swabs from their prints?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Awfullotofshrooms]
    #29583731 -



Something got into one of my plates. Any ideas what mold this is?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29583732 -

Rasmodius said:


Something got into one of my plates. Any ideas what mold this is?



That's my culture :lol: give it back

Do you folks like to use food coloring with light MEA?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Turvenuija] * 1
    #29583736 -

Turvenuija said:
Do you folks like to use food coloring with light MEA?



I don't really care about food color in my plates, but it's the best way to keep track of which plates are what :lol:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Turvenuija] * 1
    #29583753 -

Turvenuija said:
Rasmodius said:


Something got into one of my plates. Any ideas what mold this is?



That's my culture :lol: give it back

Do you folks like to use food coloring with light MEA?



I will save it until I have marketplace access and then you can have it back

:lol:

I've been adding it lately, as kloakk said, the food coloring is for telling plates apart.

The glitter is just because I'm a pretty princess.

:ohgodwhy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29583773 -

Rasmodius said:
I will save it until I have marketplace access and then you can have it back

:lol:

The glitter is just because I'm a pretty princess.

:ohgodwhy:



:rofl::rofl::rofl:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Kloakk] * 2
    #29585162 -




Kloakk is kindly hooking me up for life with spores but I'll keep working on my own cubes for now, if only to practice agar work and using up these... plates. They might just be the most opaque and unusable plates in history, recent history at least. This month at the very least. When held up against the light you can kinda see what I'm working with. I made a transfer of that one sector racing ahead of everything else. I'll make MEA soon and then I will be a happy lad.

Oh and I drew first blood, I stabbed myself with my blade because it fell off the handle and was stuck in the cap so naturally I smacked it against my hand and when it fell out it stabbed me :lol:


--------------------

Edited by Turvenuija (05/24/26 03:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Turvenuija] * 1
    #29585669 -

I went nuts on agar this weekend, I thought I had crafted the PERFECT agar.

Recipe - 1000ml water, 20g LME, 20g agar

I made my first batch but fucked up because I dumped all the dry ingredients into boiling water at once. It caused a lot of clumping so I decided to try a different method

I got my water to a warm temp and then dissolved the LME into the water little by little, whisking until it all dissolved. Then I added the agar little by little, whisking the whole time. I also added half a drop of blue food coloring.

SO, it came out PERFECT. no lumps no nothing. lovely blueish color. I thought it was perfect. I PCd it for 60 minutes. 1/2 went into my 500ml bottle and the rest went into a mason jar. Let it cool over night

I have struggled with getting condensation in my plates, so I didn't want to pour until at a perfect temp. I set up my sousvide to 141degrees and left my bottle in the water for about 6 hours. When I got home, it still wasn't liquid.

So I popped the bottle in the microwave for a minute, that broke it up, but now it's too hot. So it went back in to the sousvide for another 30 minutes.

No ready to pour, I poured it. IT CLUMPED. I got an inconsistent pour because of the clumps and I'm seeing a ton of air bubbles in my plates too. Very little condensation, which is nice. But the surface is uneven and the bubbles piss me off.

Oh well, here's to next time :takingnotes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1577 | 1578 | 1579 | 1580 | 1581 | 1582 | 1583 | 1584 | 1585 | 1586 | 1587 | 1588 | 1589 | 1590 | 1591 | 1592 | 1593 | 1594 | 1595 | 1596 | 1597 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,058 topic views. 13 members, 57 guests and 153 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.044 seconds spending 0.027 seconds on 16 queries.