Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1576 | 1577 | 1578 | 1579 | 1580 | 1581 | 1582 | 1583 | 1584 | 1585 | 1586 | 1587 | 1588 | 1589 | 1590 | 1591 | 1592 | 1593 | 1594 | 1595 | 1596 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Milkeesha]
    #29579074 -

Milkeesha said:
As an American male I take offense to systems that work best from a “less is more” perspective. What am I supposed to do with this kitchen sink?



This made me laugh. But in a “laughing as a coping mechanism” way.
:mugatu:

I am pretty new to agar and I’m running 7-7.5 g Light Malt Extract per 500ml. I did do one pour at 10g LME and i don’t see too much a difference to be honest. I have 1000 ml of oat grain water, but I’m still figuring out what ratios to use when using grain water and it’s it is worth using while I still have LME.


--------------------
*Not a therapist - Do not take advice from me

Be nice. You are loved. You deserve happiness. You are not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MethodMyst]
    #29579188 -

I've been buying premades out of laziness and they're mostly high nute. I always get a whole bunch of cotton growth on them and it's never that fast, even when I'm transferring tissue. I found a vendor that sells low nute though, so the nice growth from these t2s are going onto them when I get the chance. You think I could transfer some of that t2 i just posted into grain? Would like to get some grain going if I'm gonna be firing up the PC anyway.


--------------------


Everything is better when it is done ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!

Edited by Sulfurshelfsean (05/17/26 08:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Sulfurshelfsean]
    #29579207 -

Yes, low nute agar gets the mycelium stretching and looking for more nutrients faster which can increase growth. I like to lower my nutrient in my agar that I plan on inoculating grain with. I feel that it makes the mycelium jump to grain faster.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm] * 1
    #29579214 -

It's always been thay way with my LCs too. People who don't know always ask "why do you but like a drop of honey in such a big jar there's not enough nutes for the mycellium!" But my quart jars with barely any nutes in them colonize way faster, less  contamination rate, fuller colonization. The more color in the LC, the shittier it usually is.


--------------------


Everything is better when it is done ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29579461 -

Bigworm said:
Yes, low nute agar gets the mycelium stretching and looking for more nutrients faster which can increase growth. I like to lower my nutrient in my agar that I plan on inoculating grain with. I feel that it makes the mycelium jump to grain faster.



How low is low for you? Like LME OR how much would you dilute grain water?


--------------------
*Not a therapist - Do not take advice from me

Be nice. You are loved. You deserve happiness. You are not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: JoeTherapist] * 1
    #29579540 -

JoeTherapist said:
Bigworm said:
Yes, low nute agar gets the mycelium stretching and looking for more nutrients faster which can increase growth. I like to lower my nutrient in my agar that I plan on inoculating grain with. I feel that it makes the mycelium jump to grain faster.



How low is low for you? Like LME OR how much would you dilute grain water?



I use 1% nutrients for most things, and 0.5% for pans. That would be 5g DME per 500mL for 1%, and 2.5g DME per 500mL for 0.5%. I’ll go as low as 0.1-0.2% for my LCs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: RoscoeReturns] * 3
    #29579622 -

I use .5% brf and if the brf is finished, .5% rye flour. Which produces super ugly protein 'worms'. Nothing but respect for those who produce crystal clear plates, but I couldn't be bothered personally.


--------------------
Also I tooted churp for being a lowbrow puppet, it's so obvious.
I also added them both to my nazi watchlist in my journal, so we can watch them

-Jean-Luc Picard


Species grown so far
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29367720#29367720

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: RoscoeReturns] * 1
    #29579753 -

RoscoeReturns said:
JoeTherapist said:
Bigworm said:
Yes, low nute agar gets the mycelium stretching and looking for more nutrients faster which can increase growth. I like to lower my nutrient in my agar that I plan on inoculating grain with. I feel that it makes the mycelium jump to grain faster.



How low is low for you? Like LME OR how much would you dilute grain water?



I use 1% nutrients for most things, and 0.5% for pans. That would be 5g DME per 500mL for 1%, and 2.5g DME per 500mL for 0.5%. I’ll go as low as 0.1-0.2% for my LCs.



This. Or I use water agar for inoculation plates if I have them laying around doing nothing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm] * 3
    #29579847 -

First time pouring agar so I really hope I did this right🙏How’s it looking at least a from here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Awfullotofshrooms] * 1
    #29579849 -

:noargument:


--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Scemilope] * 1
    #29579857 -

Question, should I wait a day or two to use them to see if there’s any contams growing or are they ready to go?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Awfullotofshrooms] * 3
    #29579895 -

Awfullotofshrooms said:
Question, should I wait a day or two to use them to see if there’s any contams growing or are they ready to go?



Depends on how certain you are that things went well. When I first started doing agar I would do both, so what I mean is that I used the plates right after they solidified, but I never used all and I never used any genetics I didn't have more of.

That way the plates that sits will show you if your pour was bad and if they don't grow anything within a week or so, but the plates you used does go bad, most likely it was during transfer and you need to fine tune your sterile work during transfers.


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Kloakk]
    #29579963 -

Awfullotofshrooms said:
Question, should I wait a day or two to use them to see if there’s any contams growing or are they ready to go?



do what kloakk said, nocc up one or two and save the rest to let them cool and see if you got it right. I've been experimenting with just doing it raw in a closet as a still air box and I think it worked lol going straight guerrilla on this grow

tax: 7 varieties, out of the seven there is
one ochra
one galindoi/atl#7 (don't know the difference)
and a plate I've named evil cubensis that is almost certainly a pan cyan, I realized after I labeled it that I pulled the print from the exotics bag of my spore collection



--------------------
REPENT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: jbgtaa]
    #29580886 -

I jammed an Australian landrace cubensis spore swab into one dish, 2 drops of liquid from a vial of APE and two drops of B+ as well. I see tiny spots of growth from the PE6 spores I did last week I realized I used a LOT of nutrients probably and also made the agar super stiff so I’m assuming that’s why the growth is slower then expected and there’s no sign of contam yet in either. Should I transfer now or wait until it grows out a little more? I’m leaning towards waiting a few days but lmk if it would be better to do it tonight. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Awfullotofshrooms]
    #29580971 -

Awfullotofshrooms said:
I jammed an Australian landrace cubensis spore swab into one dish, 2 drops of liquid from a vial of APE and two drops of B+ as well. I see tiny spots of growth from the PE6 spores I did last week I realized I used a LOT of nutrients probably and also made the agar super stiff so I’m assuming that’s why the growth is slower then expected and there’s no sign of contam yet in either. Should I transfer now or wait until it grows out a little more? I’m leaning towards waiting a few days but lmk if it would be better to do it tonight. 




Waiting won’t hurt unless you’re battling contamination.
Patience


--------------------


bucket full of rust

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: RustBucketz]
    #29581589 -




This plate is the atl #7 giveaway tampensis wedge. I see some contam on the right side. (The black thing on top is smeared sharpie). Was planning on letting the myc grow another day or 2 and cutting it up and spreading it onto some new plates. Had a few questions.


Will waiting a day or 2 be okay? The contam has not grown but the myc has grown significantly in the past day or 2.


Was planning on using grain water and 2% agar. The grain water is a week old and has not yet been sterilized. Will it be okay to use this? 15 psi for 20 minutes. 50% grain water 50% tap


If I use that same recipe, will it also be okay to use the same plates to lay out some Cubensis wedges? Dc melmac, ape, Jack Frost and bit o heaven.

Any tips for an agar novice? I will be using a scalpel and the original wedge was broken up in the mail so I spread it with a qtip. Probably will pc my scalpel honestly. Should I PC my reusable Petri dishes before laying new agar in them.

Hoping to get an expert opinion on these questions. REALLY do not want to mess this up as the agar wedge seems prime for stones and I’ve been greatly looking forward to this. Sorry for making a huge post, no trying to shit up the board with new threads when there’s already a big agar thread

Edited by Dj_karma_magnet (05/20/26 04:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dj_karma_magnet]
    #29581829 -

Dj_karma_magnet said:



This plate is the atl #7 giveaway tampensis wedge. I see some contam on the right side. (The black thing on top is smeared sharpie). Was planning on letting the myc grow another day or 2 and cutting it up and spreading it onto some new plates. Had a few questions.


Will waiting a day or 2 be okay? The contam has not grown but the myc has grown significantly in the past day or 2.


Was planning on using grain water and 2% agar. The grain water is a week old and has not yet been sterilized. Will it be okay to use this? 15 psi for 20 minutes. 50% grain water 50% tap


If I use that same recipe, will it also be okay to use the same plates to lay out some Cubensis wedges? Dc melmac, ape, Jack Frost and bit o heaven.

Any tips for an agar novice? I will be using a scalpel and the original wedge was broken up in the mail so I spread it with a qtip. Probably will pc my scalpel honestly. Should I PC my reusable Petri dishes before laying new agar in them.

Hoping to get an expert opinion on these questions. REALLY do not want to mess this up as the agar wedge seems prime for stones and I’ve been greatly looking forward to this. Sorry for making a huge post, no trying to shit up the board with new threads when there’s already a big agar thread



I'd transfer now from 11 o clock on the plate, once the contamination hits the myc its over. in my experience, all contaminants grow faster than any psilocybe myc and it'll be "bred in" or interwined with you culture and you wont be able to get it out easily or at all


--------------------
REPENT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: jbgtaa]
    #29581865 -

Alright, I’ll do it tonight, .5% mea, I hope that’s right and will be good for my cube wedges too

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dj_karma_magnet]
    #29581889 -

it'll be fine, more important is keeping the agar clean. cubes will culture on straight water agar.


--------------------
REPENT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: jbgtaa]
    #29581907 -

Alright. Last question. Will pc’ing some reusable Petri dishes and putting them straight in front of the flow hood be a worthwhile endeavor while I wait for the agar to cool? I am using tap water and don’t like condensation/cloudy dishes

Edited by Dj_karma_magnet (05/20/26 07:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1576 | 1577 | 1578 | 1579 | 1580 | 1581 | 1582 | 1583 | 1584 | 1585 | 1586 | 1587 | 1588 | 1589 | 1590 | 1591 | 1592 | 1593 | 1594 | 1595 | 1596 | | Last >

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 74 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 79 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,839 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,394 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,011 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,707 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,326 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,940 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,804 topic views. 17 members, 223 guests and 118 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.048 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 16 queries.