Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1575 | 1576 | 1577 | 1578 | 1579 | 1580 | 1581 | 1582 | 1583 | 1584 | 1585 | 1586 | 1587 | 1588 | 1589 | 1590 | 1591 | 1592 | 1593 | 1594 | 1595 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29576704 -

Word, thanx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: divineverdance]
    #29576814 -

Before I poured my own plates I got some from sporeswaps. I got two sets of 15 60mm plates. Pretty good deal. Left them for 7 days before using the first ones and only had 1 with contamination (found it today so it is possible it got in somehow after getting to me). They are the ones in my picture I posted. They came blue but as the myc grows the color disappears. I poured my own plates since then for way cheaper, i followed BOD's Comprehensive Agar TEK exactly as described using MEA and they are pretty clear and working perfectly.


--------------------
*Not a therapist - Do not take advice from me

Be nice. You are loved. You deserve happiness. You are not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29576817 -

Thanks for the feedback! I will try to get better pictures in front of the FFU. This is T1 from LC. There is no contamination from my untrained eye, but if there is anything riding along, I don’t know what I’m looking for. I would love to be able to try some techniques to clean it up.


--------------------
*Not a therapist - Do not take advice from me

Be nice. You are loved. You deserve happiness. You are not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: JoeTherapist] * 1
    #29576876 -

JoeTherapist said:
Thanks for the feedback! I will try to get better pictures in front of the FFU. This is T1 from LC. There is no contamination from my untrained eye, but if there is anything riding along, I don’t know what I’m looking for. I would love to be able to try some techniques to clean it up.



Look into cabin plates, and crevis or crevasse plates and water agar.

Water agar is the simplest. Water and agar. That's it. Put your culture in the center and let it grow out. Look for a really faint almost invisible leading edge and take a transfer. That's it.

The cabin plate consists of cutting a small square in the agar and removing it so it's an empty space. Then you take a transfer from the donor plate and put it in the center of that space on the new plate. You cover the space housing the transfer with a slide cover or a piece of what bigger then the cutout. Now the myc will jump off and climb out onto the agar surface, leaving anything piggybacking behind. Good for bacteria may help with mold.

Crevis plate is the same concept but you cut a 3mm wide line of agar out across the width of the plate and create a gap. Place the donor transfer on one side of the gap. My will jump across leaving the contams behind. Also good for bacteria may help with mold. A hot pour plate or brf puck would be good for mold.
I saw something called flap plate where you cut a ^ in the plate and stick a transfer under the flap. The myc will grow through the agar and supposably, you got a clean culture by scraping the stuff that grows threw the agar and sending to another plate.

I do a cabin plate then go to a crevis plate, then send it to water agar, and finally a regular plate. Why? Cause I'm paranoid and I've had a hell of a time with trich for a long time. I think I got it under control now. Water agar is awesome for cleaning up cultures.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm] * 1
    #29576897 -

I've tried a few brands of prepoured plates from Amazon, just not worth it.

- Sometimes contam,
- Slower than just pouring some rq
- More $$


--------------------
- My trade list
- New here? Me too! Pop by and say hi c:

Edited by Archespore (05/17/26 01:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Archespore] * 1
    #29577082 -


Reviving a JMF culture from 2021. These things are so wacky that I'm not sure it's a cube on that plate.... Pink plate is very low nute so makes some sense it's reaching more.


Really happy with these transfers. Original plates didn't look nearly that good. Red plates have some extra nutes since I made them with popcorn grain water. Also running the lab around ~78F/26C lately, so maybe that helps.


--------------------


.~`  𝔅 𝔞 𝔤 𝔢 𝔩  🥯  𝔅 𝔦 𝔱 𝔢 𝔰  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

🧪 Castellani Preservation | 🔬 The Slidewich | ☠️ Touchless skull sterilizer | 📸 Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rasmodius] * 1
    #29577145 -

Did this cabin (I know it’s not a proper cabin using an agar roof), but the plate was a partial pour, and I love how the myc is reaching out on the virgin plastic.

Reminded me of something Faht mentioned about sticking a piece of agar on the petri lid, and letting the myc reach up to it as a possibility for really cleaning things up. I don't know if it was just an idea or if anyone has tried it, but now I want to.



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: bluescreen] * 1
    #29577157 -

bluescreen said:
Did this cabin (I know it’s not a proper cabin using an agar roof), but the plate was a partial pour, and I love how the myc is reaching out on the virgin plastic.

Reminded me of something Faht mentioned about sticking a piece of agar on the petri lid, and letting the myc reach up to it as a possibility for really cleaning things up. I don't know if it was just an idea or if anyone has tried it, but now I want to.





I don't see anything wrong with using an agar roof. I do it all the time and scrape the agar off that grows through it for a transfer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm] * 1
    #29577171 -

Quote:
Bigworm said:

I don't see anything wrong with using an agar roof. I do it all the time and scrape the agar off that grows through it for a transfer.




Yeah it's officially a cabin with a microscope slide cover slip or similar, just trying to be official. As I understand it :thumbup:


--------------------

Edited by bluescreen (05/15/26 02:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: bluescreen] * 1
    #29577241 -

I know, but it works either way. The agar roof was the original then the slide cover came into play. At least that's how I took it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29577264 -

Bigworm said:
I know, but it works either way. The agar roof was the original then the slide cover came into play. At least that's how I took it.



Yes it looks like it works either way, but on the big thread on cabins some folks pointed out it's a cabin with a slip, and a kind-of cabin with agar. I'm fairly new to all this so I have cover slips for the next ones.  But I'm going to try Faht's suspended ceiling first. :rockon:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: bluescreen]
    #29577272 -

Yeah that sounds interesting so please keep us updated on that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29577510 -

Finally switched to MEA last week and loving the clarity of the plates. You can even see the cling wrap on the bottom lol. Guess I should prep some grain soon.



--------------------
Feeling lost here? We get it. Here's the most up-to-date guide as of 2026.


I know I'm a fool, but that's why I keep trying to learn.
:peace::heart::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MethodMyst]
    #29577526 -

middle top gwm looks strong as hell


--------------------
REPENT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm]
    #29578422 -

Bigworm said:
Look into cabin plates, and crevis or crevasse plates and water agar.

Water agar is the simplest. Water and agar. That's it. Put your culture in the center and let it grow out. Look for a really faint almost invisible leading edge and take a transfer. That's it.

The cabin plate consists of cutting a small square in the agar and removing it so it's an empty space. Then you take a transfer from the donor plate and put it in the center of that space on the new plate. You cover the space housing the transfer with a slide cover or a piece of what bigger then the cutout. Now the myc will jump off and climb out onto the agar surface, leaving anything piggybacking behind. Good for bacteria may help with mold.

Crevis plate is the same concept but you cut a 3mm wide line of agar out across the width of the plate and create a gap. Place the donor transfer on one side of the gap. My will jump across leaving the contams behind. Also good for bacteria may help with mold. A hot pour plate or brf puck would be good for mold.
I saw something called flap plate where you cut a ^ in the plate and stick a transfer under the flap. The myc will grow through the agar and supposably, you got a clean culture by scraping the stuff that grows threw the agar and sending to another plate.

I do a cabin plate then go to a crevis plate, then send it to water agar, and finally a regular plate. Why? Cause I'm paranoid and I've had a hell of a time with trich for a long time. I think I got it under control now. Water agar is awesome for cleaning up cultures.




I’m taking a break now from doing the cabin plates with an agar roof. I also threw a crevice in the plates I took the sample from. I had a batch of agar I poured too hot and so there is WAY too much condensation. I am seeing some halo’s around the mycelium but can’t tell if it’s just new growth, moisture, or contamination. I have not yet experienced blatant contamination outside of two plates that never had mycelium. I will do the plates with the tiny halos after they grow out some more. Next time I pour I will make some water agar and low nutrient agar. I have MEA and grain water from boiling oat spawn I want to experiment with too. Thank you for the help! I will post the results of the cabins and trenches soon. I tried getting some pics in front if the FFU but they didn’t turn out well. These feel like they were going strong then thinned out and stalled.

These were the first transfers I ever did on pre-made plates. The darkest blue plate is LC not a transfer. The other two are T1 done in SAB. My own plates look WAY better.


--------------------
*Not a therapist - Do not take advice from me

Be nice. You are loved. You deserve happiness. You are not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bigworm] * 1
    #29578595 -

I put one together with the sample on the lid with 1/8 th inch gap between sample and agar. This is a sample that has a bacteria with it. We will see what happens?


--------------------
*Not a therapist - Do not take advice from me

Be nice. You are loved. You deserve happiness. You are not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: JoeTherapist] * 1
    #29578872 -


Finally getting somewhere with my transfers and have no time to do more lol. Ain't that about a bitch? Gonna transfer to low nute agar asap.


--------------------


Everything is better when it is done ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Sulfurshelfsean]
    #29579008 -

I don't really get why 10g nutes/500ml water is the standard recommended ratio around here. IME this resulted in slow growth and, as far as I understand, is about twice as much as microbiologists tend to use in lab settings. So after testing a bit, 6-7g has worked much better for me.


--------------------
Feeling lost here? We get it. Here's the most up-to-date guide as of 2026.


I know I'm a fool, but that's why I keep trying to learn.
:peace::heart::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MethodMyst]
    #29579031 -

MethodicalMystical said:
I don't really get why 10g nutes/500ml water is the standard recommended ratio around here. IME this resulted in slow growth and, as far as I understand, is about twice as much as microbiologists tend to use in lab settings. So after testing a bit, 6-7g has worked much better for me.



I've noticed some of the more astute growers here do like 1.6% which coincides. On straight malt agar I get better growth at 1%, with potato and some dextrose it's another thing.

I use some organic local agar, which I suspect is maybe higher nute than the typical Telephone? On straight malt I never get the photogenic growth. Pda yes.


--------------------

Edited by bluescreen (05/17/26 06:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: bluescreen] * 1
    #29579052 -

As an American male I take offense to systems that work best from a “less is more” perspective. What am I supposed to do with this kitchen sink?

I like working with malt the best, but the potato flake agar that uses a French press to remove the potato flakes looks so good in polystyrene dishes.


--------------------
How it should and shouldn’t look with photos

Mmmhmmm 🌚

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1575 | 1576 | 1577 | 1578 | 1579 | 1580 | 1581 | 1582 | 1583 | 1584 | 1585 | 1586 | 1587 | 1588 | 1589 | 1590 | 1591 | 1592 | 1593 | 1594 | 1595 | | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* AGAR?S FAST PINT SUPER CAKES ~ WITHOUT A PC
( 1 2 all )
agar 7,359 29 08/08/06 06:03 PM
by oijo_quench
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,839 6 03/31/06 07:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,394 8 02/14/05 09:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,011 8 02/25/05 01:03 PM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,707 8 06/19/20 11:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,326 12 03/30/20 12:37 PM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,940 4 03/01/06 11:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,696 3 10/29/05 09:10 PM
by agar

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
777,006 topic views. 22 members, 259 guests and 136 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.052 seconds spending 0.028 seconds on 16 queries.