Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nmd_myco]
    #26995101 -

Nothing much to document yet as all I’ve done is streaked a few plates with both rw and yeti. Not sure sure the yeti even germinated. Will see when I try to grow it out. Seems like mixing spawn jars seems like the better way to go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26996259 -

Following on from my last post, I recently streaked a couple of plates and can now see the same translucent growth on all the developing colonies. It's very uniform and I can see hyphae in the light. Pretty sure it's got to be my LME. So I'll switch it up this weekend.
Do you guys think the existing stuff is nute deficient or high to produce this kind of growth?
(There are other photos on the previous page)



--------------------
Here Lies This Individual




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sporecap]
    #26996310 -

sporecap said:
@xspak:
Very interesting! Did you sterilize the slide (if so, how) or just took one from a fresh pack?

Just did the poor man's version of the microscopy slide:

-Sterilize scalpel and cut a small well in a new agar dish (a bit off center)
-take a small transfer from the bacterial plate and put it in the well of the new plate
-sterilize scalpel again
-cut a large square agar wedge from the new plate and put it over the well to cover the transferred agar piece.

Will post results as soon as available.






Here's an update on the agar sandwich method after 4 days. Growth speed was almost not affected, the myc seemed to have no problem to grow through the agar when being confined. In almost all plates it dominantly grew upwards and then emerged on top of the agar wedge, something which I did not expect. I thought it might be easier to squeeze through between the interface of the wedge and the agar plate, but it was definitely slower in that direction. The emerging agar was super thin and whispy, exactly like the translucent growth one sometimes gets from spores germinating on agar. Maybe this is a general feature of myc that actually growths through the agar? Once it stays on the surface it changes into a more rhizomorphic form?
I took transfers by scraping the top of the agar wedge with an inocculation loop, the amount of myc transferred was not detectable by eye (but I'm pretty sure there was some). Let's see what it does next.
If this proves to work well, I will implement it in my workflow: Spores to agar -> Transfer after Germination into Agar sandwich -> Transfer to normal plate.


Edited by sporecap (10/21/20 12:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sporecap]
    #26996779 -

Update on that plate that froze. Gonna grab a few transfers and see how they perform.



--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #26996827 -

Take from 10-11:30 and 3 oclock.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26996904 -

Thank you, sir. Starting now.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #26997015 -

Tried the hole punch transfer on some clones, loving how they look so far.


I have 3 questions if anyone can help:

1. To my understanding even clones aren't true monocultures and are generally composed of multiple different strains acting in conjunction. Does that mean that taking transfers from different leading edges of clone plates will narrow the genetics and potentially lead to cultures that don't perform as well as the original "full" clone culture? Is that only really a concern after many transfers of a clone?

2. Is it okay to just let my SS straw for transfers cool in my SAB after flaming instead of cooling it by sticking it into the clean receiving plate? It's a bit of a hassle and I don't love making that cooling mark on a receiving plate so much lol.

3. What's a good LME % for promoting rhizo growth? I normally go 1.5% with 2% agar but most of my cultures are pretty tomentose, is it okay to go down to like 1.2%? Any downsides?




--------------------
:chems:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Lenz]
    #26997036 -

I haven’t tried a ss straw but imagine they don’t take long to cool. When I still used the thicker leather punches I’d keep a spare β€œugly plate” to cool in that way I wasn’t marring up the receiving plate. A plate that had bubbles or maybe the agar was starting to gel up. The straws may cool fast enough on their own. My brass tool does, I just flame it and let it rest for a few seconds while I unwrap the next plate or what ever I’m doing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997206 -

Hey guys,

I made a thread about my mycelium being thin and transparent. I totally forgot about this thread so I'm wanting to ask a few questions. I've been told that my nutrients are too rich and this is why I'm getting thin transparent mycelium on all of my transfers. I use 8g lme 10g agar 500ml water, I've never had a problem with this before but latley it's not working out.

A few people have said to lower to nutrients and others have said to increase it. What's your views on this? I'm gonna make up some lower strength agar and higher strength tonight. I'll make 10g agar 15g LME and I'll also make 10g agar and 6g LME or should I lower the agar slightly when lowering the nutrients? I'm curious to what some of you say regarding this.

I have 2 plates that have managed to grow out fine and all the ms and ms transfers are growing out thin. Here's some pics


Edited by Clc420 (10/22/20 12:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997233 -

I just realized it could be your coloring too.


--------------------
LAGM2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26997268 -

A.k.a said:
I just realized it could be your coloring too.



Thanks for you input mate. I did think about that but I use the same colouring as someone else on here, I followed his tek and all my previous plates have been fine with this colouring.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997285 -

It’s been found that the magenta and purple can mess with the myc as there’s red #3 which has fungicidal properties. I’m still meaning to do a side by side test on this but going back through all my pics seems to back up that data. All the plates that did weird stuff was on those colors.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997338 -

D3monic said:
It’s been found that the magenta and purple can mess with the myc as there’s red #3 which has fungicidal properties. I’m still meaning to do a side by side test on this but going back through all my pics seems to back up that data. All the plates that did weird stuff was on those colors.




Ohh really? Well that might be the case as it's the pink and purple plates that have been doing it. I usually use blue.

I followed this tek https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26628234

And I use the exact same colouring as D3 has used.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997385 -

Some galindoi pastyplates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997392 -

Most peeps are on Team Telephone Agar Agar, while some don't
care and others think it's not good enought!  :lol:
Anyway it's good to include what Brand yer using also.
Team Telephone FTW!  :chugbeer:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Inthepit]
    #26997394 -

Inthepit said:
Most peeps are on Team Telephone Agar Agar, while some don't
care and others think it's not good enought!  :lol:
Anyway it's good to include what Brand yer using also.
Team Telephone FTW!  :chugbeer:



I use telephone ☎️ and turbinado sugar and BRF

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Inthepit]
    #26997395 -

Inthepit said:
Most peeps are on Team Telephone Agar Agar, while some don't
care and others think it's not good enought!  :lol:
Anyway it's good to include what Brand yer using also.
Team Telephone FTW!  :chugbeer:




I'm using intralabs agar, I've always used it but I am thinking of changing. I'm in the uk a telephone is stupid expensive here for some reason

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997399 -

Am I the only one that tries whatever the fuck he finds? I got some shit from some company called nature's bounty or some shit like that. Works fine for my purposes


--------------------
Mehhh



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997410 -

Oooops, senior moment!
Anyway thanks fer the phone image!
Team Telephone ☎️ FTW!  :chugbeer:

:saulgoodman:

Edited by Inthepit (10/22/20 06:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Inthepit]
    #26997413 -

Inthepit said:
Most peeps are on Team Telephone Agar Agar, while some don't
care and others think it's not good enought!  :lol:
Anyway it's good to include what Brand yer using also.
Team Telephone FTW!  :chugbeer:



I've been using the agar agar that D3 recommends in his agar tek.

https://www.amazon.com/Agar-Powder-Vegetable-Vegetarian-Gluten-free/dp/B01JRXKKSM

I might grab some of this cause its a little bit cheaper.

https://spiceology.com/products/agar-agar


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,295 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
774,979 topic views. 19 members, 124 guests and 107 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.016 seconds on 16 queries.