Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psycho_nauticus] * 1
    #26517816 -

Inthepit said:
c10h12n2o said:
:whathesaid:

I love parafilm

I cut it into premeasured pieces in bulk ahead of time , as detailed in my agar guide.

But ofc it's more expensive. I have other uses for it as well tho



Oh now you've donnit! C'mon c10, what are those "other uses"?  :popcorn:



Plant tissue culture :wink:

psycho_nauticus said:
If you are taking several transfers from the same plate, do you still need to flame sterilize the blade in between each time?



Yeah of course. Otherwise you still have the cells from the other sectors on the scalpel


--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide


"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #26519751 -

cultures finally looking ready for grain ; the red areas is where i'll take a transfer for the archives

what do you think , is there any sign of something hithing a ride ?  :




also , i've liked how my dishes turned out on this last batches , no condensation at all , holding the plate open for some 30 seconds between pours does the trick .


--------------------
...and when you loose control ; you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26519970 -

Jeez, those are all so beautiful, I'm jealous!

How do you archive, 50mL slants?
Noobs just wanna know!    :hatsoff:


--------------------
:sporedrop: GLOSSARY  :sporedrop: ACROMYMS!   :sporedrop: GETTING STARTED :sporedrop:

Edited by Inthepit (03/06/20 04:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26520167 -

dmppb said:
cultures finally looking ready for grain ; the red areas is where i'll take a transfer for the archives

what do you think , is there any sign of something hithing a ride ?  :




also , i've liked how my dishes turned out on this last batches , no condensation at all , holding the plate open for some 30 seconds between pours does the trick .




A backlit pic is useful only when presented with a well lit pic of the surface. Some contams are invisible when backlit.


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Inthepit]
    #26520416 -

Inthepit said:
Jeez, those are all so beautiful, I'm jealous!

How do you archive, 50mL slants?
Noobs just wanna know!    :hatsoff:




thanks man ! and thanks footpath i believe it was him who gave me the recipe , 8gs LME 20 gs agar and 1 L

for slants i use high nute agar and thick poured plates , this culture was pulled out of the fridge 1 year later ,


ladiesknight , pic # 5 is from the back , you mean shed light not from the back of the dish but from the front ?


--------------------
...and when you loose control ; you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LadysKnight]
    #26520543 -

LadysKnight said:
A backlit pic is useful only when presented with a well lit pic of the surface. Some contams are invisible when backlit.



I wouldnt go that far..

For trying to spot contams yeah the surface pic is more useful, but for distinguishing patterns in the myc, types of myc growing over/through eachother, etc, backlit is plenty useful. More useful imo

So it depends on what you are trying to do


--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide


"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: dmppb]
    #26520786 -

dmppb said:
ladiesknight you mean shed light not from the back of the dish but from the front ?



Exactly this. Only way to be sure nothing is hitching a ride.


c10h12n2o said:
LadysKnight said:
A backlit pic is useful only when presented with a well lit pic of the surface. Some contams are invisible when backlit.



I wouldnt go that far..

For trying to spot contams yeah the surface pic is more useful, but for distinguishing patterns in the myc, types of myc growing over/through eachother, etc, backlit is plenty useful. More useful imo

So it depends on what you are trying to do



Agreed, backlight is great for seeing the myc.
Surface light is best for seeing contamination.


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LadysKnight]
    #26520883 -

Obvious/superficial contamination.

Something that is ingrained in the myc or inhibiting/redirecting its growth is going to be made a lot more evident by the pattern of the myc detailed by backlighting. Which is the more common one for people to ask for the assistance of a trained eye.

If people are explicitly confused in the differentiating of mold mycelium from tomentose mushroom mycelium, they generally know to post a picture with surface lighting.

Bottom line - just take both.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: footpath]
    #26521299 -

Just poured my first agar plates using grain soak water and inculated with a spore syringe. Just curious on a few things.
Where should I store my plates? Light,dark,warm?
I think I poured when agar was too warm. I have condensation on most of my 20 plates. Is this detrimental to anything other than visibility into the plate?
How long till mycellium start growing? When can I expect a fully colonized plate?
One of my plates gelled up more quickly then the others and when I used my loop it moved the agar around. Is there a perfect time to inoculate or are plates out of the fridge ok?
Lots of questions, any advice is appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: landscraper]
    #26521381 -



--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide


"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #26521396 -

True dat hitler!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: landscraper]
    #26521426 -

Sorry I was in the gym, here's your answers :smile:

1.doesnt really matter. Natural light is fine. I store them in plastic bins on a shelf with only natural sunlight from the window (indirect)

2.not really, if the plates are clean. Just harder to see. But the water can spread contams (or even myc) around if it rolls around the plate

3. Inoculating w spores? 3 to 35 days, usually within 10. With an agar transfer, 1 day

4. You don't want a fully colonized plate.  You want to transfer from the spore plate as soon as you see clean growth, then do a few more transfers , selecting aggressive, healthy myc. Subsequent transfers will be both cleaner and more organized if you do it right. Spore plate, transfer as soon as possible, on subsequent plates you should transfer before it hits the edge. So you dont want it to fully colonize, especially not the spore plate. Keep in mind, spores are never sterile, so you wouldn't want to inoculate grain with the plate you germinated spores on.

5. Not really a perfect time, as long as it has cooled, hasn't dried out, and is sterile. I usually make a few hundred plates at a time and store them in ziploc bags on a room temp shelf till i use them. I only refrigerate stuff i need to store for long periods of time (many months, like a batch of antibiotic agar I wont use very often)


Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any other questions


--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide


"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #26521612 -

Hi. I made some agar plates using 9 grams of brf and 6 grams of agar telephone brand with 400 ml of water. PC at 30 5 minutes and poured into dishes.

It is pretty hard to see thru and I was wondering, should I, can I, filter the brf agar before I PC it to make it more clear?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: woofwoof]
    #26521825 -

My BRF agar has always been like that. I haven’t used anything but brf for agar. Just ordered some LME though and I hear that gives you clear agar. You can find it for cheap on eBay or Amazon. Not sure about making BRF agar more clear though..


--------------------

TEKs I Like

Edited by MadHatter333 (03/07/20 08:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MadHatter333]
    #26522499 -

Is it safe to use sterile swab to make transfers or is cutting it with scalpel to make transfers cleaner or better?

I have some agar with myc I want to clean by moving to a new plate. Can I swab the myc and streak new plate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MadHatter333]
    #26522501 -

Well this is a new one for me. Going a little geometric. Didn’t have the lines when I took transfers. Just some fluffy run away edges acting weird on malt yeast agar


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: woofwoof]
    #26522594 -

D3monic said:
Well this is a new one for me. Going a little geometric. Didn’t have the lines when I took transfers. Just some fluffy run away edges acting weird on malt yeast agar





That's weird af. Myc always does weird shit when I use yeast, so i stick to plain mea these days

woofwoof said:
Is it safe to use sterile swab to make transfers or is cutting it with scalpel to make transfers cleaner or better?

I have some agar with myc I want to clean by moving to a new plate. Can I swab the myc and streak new plate?



Itll never be clear because brf doesnt dissolve completely like ME does. If you want clear get some LME and boil and  pour it through a cheescloth before PC, like I do in the guide in my sig. Crystal clear every time

Also why 30psi ? Why not 15psi for 20 min, the standard?

You could technically use anything sterile.. but scalpel is best for precision,  scalability, reuse, etc.. I love #7 handles


--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide


"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #26522607 -

lol that’s crazy. Did you leave something on top of the plate that could magnify light or something??

You don’t see too many naturally occurring triangles.


--------------------
LAGM2020

Edited by A.k.a (03/07/20 06:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: A.k.a]
    #26522775 -

No, it was already getting the fluffy spots so I took from the smooth. Maybe it’s coincidence because of where I took the xfers and the odball growth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #26522893 -

woofwoof said:
Is it safe to use sterile swab to make transfers or is cutting it with scalpel to make transfers cleaner or better?

I have some agar with myc I want to clean by moving to a new plate. Can I swab the myc and streak new plate?



Itll never be clear because brf doesnt dissolve completely like ME does. If you want clear get some LME and boil and  pour it through a cheescloth before PC, like I do in the guide in my sig. Crystal clear every time

Also why 30psi ? Why not 15psi for 20 min, the standard?

You could technically use anything sterile.. but scalpel is best for precision,  scalability, reuse, etc.. I love #7 handles



Sorry I meant 15 psi for 35 minutes.Thank you! I will stick with scapel then

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 69 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 73 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,838 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,390 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,007 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,703 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,325 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,939 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,239 topic views. 13 members, 75 guests and 151 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 16 queries.